IMDb > Halloween: Resurrection (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Halloween: Resurrection

Halloween: Resurrection More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 60: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The absolute WORST of the Halloween movies, 3 was bad but at least I'll give it credit that it was trying to be something different

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
5 June 2014

So here is the very last of the Halloween movies and... This is one of the worst sequels (period!) that I have ever seen in my life. YES! This does more damage to the series then making Tommy Doyle the protagonist of the series and have Michael be worshiped by a satanic cult. I mean the editing isn't as crap as Halloween 6 but I'll tell you when it comes to the overall quality of the thing I'd gladly sit through Halloween 3 and 6 in a looped marathon for three weeks then sit through this movie again ONCE.

So the movie opens with Laurie Strode who's upset because it wasn't Michael she decapitated in the last movie (Why didn't he take off the mask? Why did he attack Laurie?) and after three years of being in a mental asylum Michael comes back and finally kills Laurie. So naturally because since the second one it's been about someone killing his family that he would now go onto Laurie's son and... What's that? He's not in this movie? No instead we cut to a college student named Sarah, she has the personality and acting range of the keyboard I'm typing this with. She and her 2 friends (I don't know their names I'm just calling them Stereotype 1 and Stereotype 2) Stereotype 1 wants to be famous and sees the idea of staying in the Myers' home on an internet show (Why is it still standing?) and Stereotype 2 has even less of a personality than Sarah. So they go into the Myers home BUT!... If you haven't guessed Michael is in there with them then this movie is perfect for you.

Okay so the problems. Starting with the nitpicks, I'm a film student. In my few months of learning have learned that Studio lights have sandbags put on their inner legs so they don't get knocked over causing people hundreds or thousands of property damage, I find this particularly remarkable that they didn't pick up on this mistake because THIS IS A STUDIO PRODUCTION! THEY WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT THIS IS WRONG! Not to mention that tripods are not sharp enough to stab somebody with and if by a random coincidence they managed to find one WHY WOULD IT BE IN A PRODUCTION WHERE THE LOCATION IS IN A HOUSE THAT'S 40 YEARS OLD, I mean it's not like the wood can just be punctured through with it.

Not to mention that this was at a time when internet was in it's starting phase. At this time YouTube didn't even exist, what makes me believe that shooting live an internet show where people can change between cameras even now would be like finding a website where there aren't any trolls. By the way the use of making it an internet show I believe was just an excuse to have the worst cameras they can find and just give it to the actors and say "rehearse your lines!" and put it out as a final product.

Is there anything that can make this worse? Well Busta Rhymes electrocutes Michael's balls in this movie. Me just TYPING this makes me think "Why did I spend $7 on it, knowing what this is I wouldn't spend 7 cents". He manages to get the better of Michael twice because, you know - he's meant to be a badass rapper because that's "jiggy".

Three quarters of this movie is building Michael Myers up. Um, there's someone that did that and unlike these characters - he actually DID something. Was the mindset "You know what the other Halloween movies needed? More build-up"? Because I've summed up over half the dialogue with "Michael is evil".

Not to mention the very last problem I have with the movie. It is dated more than any of the other Halloween movies, because the others made the most they could to make it as timeless as possible I mean yeah they DID pull one or 2 references out but that's it. THIS is trying to be hip and cutting edge. INTERNET! That's the new big thing right. RAP MUSIC! That's going to last forever. THE HOST OF AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL! That show's never going to stop with her as the host. I mean that's another eighth of the movie for you.

So who would I recommend it to? I'd say completionists of the series. I mean the only 2 good things are Michael and the theme music but that's it. If you want to see him hack up some people who you want him to hack up (when did this become a Friday The 13th movie! Sorry I'm harsh when I compared, sorry for all Friday fans everywhere) then this might be for you. There really is no character to sympathize with, all the goofy moments are too few and far in-between and it's BORING! I mean not the most boring horror movie I have ever seen but with the exception of 6 ALL of them held my interest. This closed off all the Halloween movies with good reason

The Worst Movie I Have Seen In Its Entirety

Author: FFBOikaze from United States
16 October 2013

It starts out well, as Jamie Lee Curtis, of course, never goes wrong, but simply put, Busta Rhymes destroys this movie. Even granting that the premise of most of the film is formulaic, I probably could have given the film 5 or 6 out of 10. Busta singlehandedly knocked it down to a 1. He's a good rapper, but a TERRIBLE actor.

Tyra Banks is beautiful, of course, but should have been involved in a chase scene with Michael Myers rather than dying off-screen, and the "smart, uptight girl" suddenly becoming hormonal was rather stupid as well.

However, if one watches the mental hospital sequence at the beginning and the morgue scene at the end, those alone would make this a decent slasher were it not for... well, you get the idea- a certain rapper turned failed actor.

The bottom of the barrel

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
17 July 2013

And so it continues, in monotonous, predictable, nasty fashion. A pointless cameo appearance from Jamie Lee Curtis reveals that the decapitated body at the end of the dreadful 'Halloween: H20' wasn't Michael Myers after all, but a mute paramedic wearing the iconic white mask (he didn't get out of the cockadoodie car). From this desperate revelation the movie somehow manages to skid further downhill, as once Curtis finally exits the series thanks to a laughable scene in which she captures Michael and then does something incredibly stupid, the film becomes a ham-fisted medley of moments from 'Blair Witch', 'Aliens' and every slasher movie you've ever seen.

The plot: internet entrepreneur Busta Rhymes (likeable at first, awful later on) ensconces a group of kids in Myers's childhood home on Halloween, fits their anodyne heads with mini-cameras, adds a fake Myers stand-in and broadcasts the results to the internet. Presumably the scenes in which viewers scream and shout when the real Myers turns up are intended as a meta-commentary on the film's events, but unfortunately for hack director Rick Rosenthal, who also perpetrated 'Halloween II', the real audience is more likely to roll over and go to sleep because he's made a boring, clichéd, dopey, ineffective lump of a film that ends the series not with a whimper but a bilious splutter.

Just some of the film's problems: In the preceding film Curtis was reliant on medication and booze thanks to the torment she suffered at the hands of her brother, but can now think clearly enough to secrete her pills in a doll and rig up a rope and pulley system to catch him, despite having killed an innocent man, which I would imagine would screw her up even more. An overexplained reference to 'Pulp Fiction' not only distracted me with thoughts of how great 'Pulp Fiction' is but made me wonder why I wasn't watching it rather than this thing. The few decent ideas on offer, such as the false Michael and the contact with the outside world being the only hope for the troubled teens, are bungled so comprehensively that the film bypasses frustration and just plain dies.

I laughed at the fake rubber head that comes bouncing down the stairs. I cringed at the hopelessly noncommittal performance of lead plank Bianca Kajlich. I sighed as the movie expects us to believe Michael has died. Again. I rolled my eyes as it's revealed not to be the case. Again. I wasted my time watching this movie and I wasted more writing about it. Don't make the same mistake.

Halloween: Resurrection (2002) *1/2

Author: JoeKarlosi from U.S.A.
28 January 2013

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW! BUT WHO CARES??

Those lousy, money grubbing bastards... they just couldn't leave a good thing alone! The previous film, HALLOWEEN H20: TWENTY YEARS LATER, was such an ideal way to end this series, but no --money talked, and so they stretched the rubberband so far here that it snapped. HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION is surely one of the dumbest, unnecessary, most hackneyed attempts to continue a franchise past its expiration date, EVER.

The most offensive things occur right at the beginning. At the end of H20 we finally saw Michael Myers killed once and for all when Jamie Lee Curtis chopped off his head with an axe, right? Wrong. Because now an absurd plot device was created where we learn via flashback that prior to the decapitation, Michael supposedly got hold of a paramedic, crushed his larynx so he couldn't speak, and dressed him up in his own clothes and mask; thus, it was actually the paramedic and not Myers who lost his head (!). There is a certain creativity to such an idea, but it's also a cheap way with which to completely obliterate the last movie and try to keep the cash cow milked.

The next part really puzzles me. The real Michael Myers arrives at a sanitarium where sister Jamie Lee now resides and he kills her within the first fifteen minutes. That's right - KILLS HER. So all Laurie Strode's efforts from those other Halloween films come to an abrupt and uncaring end in one flash. Aside from the plot point, the main thing that really bothers me about this to this day is why did Jamie Lee Curtis agree to do it? She had gone on record four years prior saying that it was her idea to return for the last chapter (H20) and have the Laurie character get her revenge. It boggles my mind that Curtis would have bothered with this idiotic followup and get herself offed, after she had been the one who wanted to bring some dignity back to her character. If I ever meet her I'm definitely going to question her about this. Could the money have been THAT good??

From here, Michael Myers has no family members left to kill. So a scenario is set up where an internet website is hosting a "Reality Show" for Halloween Night, staged in the very same old "abandoned" house that Myers grew up in as a child. They've got web cams and a live feed installed so that millions of viewers at home may get a thrill as rapper Busta Rhymes impersonates Michael to make it look good. At first it's just a gag, except when the real Myers heads back home again. You haven't lived until you've seen Busta kung-fu the masked Michael.

I can't even write about this. It deserves zero stars for having the audacity to continue in such a stupid manner, but it does have some okay horror moments that earn it a star and a half. As far as I am concerned, HALLOWEEN: H20 was the true final film and this thing doesn't even exist. *1/2 out of ****

They Just *Had* to Make Another One

Author: piratecannon from United States
27 December 2012

Well, this is it: the final review in a journey that's seen me make my way through a total of eight (including this one) horror movies all born of the same franchise. All told, we've had some classic moments, plenty of absurdity, and a third entry which doesn't feature the iconic Michael Myers in any way, Shape (Ha! See what I did there?), or form. The next to last entry, H20, promised to end the franchise on a slam-bang note, with Mr. Myers decapitated and Laurie Strode well on her way to finally overcoming the emotional toll that years of paranoia and attempts on her life by her psychopathic brother have wrought.

But they—the Tinsel Town powers that be—couldn't leave well enough alone.

Quite frankly, if the series had actually ended with H20 it would have been nothing short of a miracle. A studio opting for dignity as opposed to additional dollars is unheard of, so it should really come as no surprise that Michael would return to the big screen.

"How is that possible?" you ask. "Laurie cut his freakin' head off with an axe… right? That's the end. Kaput. Nothing else could possibly happen."

Guess what: that wasn't Michael at the end of H20. It was actually one of the paramedics who'd attempted to recover Michael's body. We're told that the not-at-all dead sociopath sprang to life, crushed the larynx of said paramedic, and swapped their outfits, mask included. Admittedly, the explanation is pretty ingenious (though it starts to lose some credibility when one asks the question, "Why didn't the poor sap just take off the mask and signal for help?").

Fast forward a couple of years. Laurie has been placed in a psychiatric institution due to the guilt she's endured after beheading a completely innocent man. She's spent her time preparing for Michael's inevitable return, having devised an elaborate setup that she implements in the opening moments of Resurrection. Laurie lures him onto the roof of the facility, uses a wench to string him up by his feet and then attempts to dispatch him. Predictably, Michael gets the better of her. He pretends to suddenly feel remorse at his actions, asking for her affection. When she acquiesces, he stabs her in the back (literally) and hurls her off of the building.

That's it. That's how she dies.

Laurie Strode, one of the definitive female action/horror protagonists of the past thirty years, is killed within the first fifteen minutes of the movie. It's one of those things that you have to see to believe; the first time I saw the movie I was appalled at the laziness of it all, and knew that what would follow could only induce queasiness.

And that's exactly what happens. In essence, the story is reduced to a reality TV cash grab. Michael inexplicably returns home—he's killed his whole family at this point, not counting the infant featured in Curse (a plot point that's strangely ignored here), so I'm not sure what he hopes to gain by doing this—and survives by trapping and eating rats. When a crew of horny teenagers is recruited by Freddie Harris (played by Busta Rhymes, whose penchant for overacting is both hysterical and mind- numbing) to spend Halloween night in the former Myers home while the entire experience is broadcast live on the Internet, we can predict exactly what's going to happen. Michael starts killing people, and everyone watching thinks it's part of the act. Busta Rhymes uses some kung fu that he learned from watching Bruce Lee movies to kick Michael out of a window and eventually electrocute him. It's hackneyed as hell and infuriating.

Michael, of course, isn't really dead, and when he dramatically regains consciousness in the Haddonfield Coroner's office we know that the same B.S. will continue, ad infinitum, until Michael faces both Freddy and Jason on Venus.

The good news? Based on sheer mathematical probabilities, another good Halloween movie will be made eventually. It might just be another two or three hundred years before it happens.

now this is how not to end the Halloween franchise

Author: hancoombes from United Kingdom
4 November 2012

after Halloween H20 the franchise was over for good but no they had to go make this. there are 10 things Wong with this movie 1 they kill off Laurie strode in the fist 10 minutes of the movie why why you stupid ass holes. 2 Michael dose not go after Laurie's son he wants to kill all of his family so why dose Micheal not go after him. 3 all of the charters or stupid and you hope they will die. 4 the kills or stupid and not gory. 5 the head coming down the stares look so fake it looked better in Freedy vs Jason which came out the next year. 6 in the final battle they rip off Friday the 13th part 2 and Halloween 2 yes they ripped of there own film. 7 the web-cam cameras or so stupid. 8 when Busta Rhymes is in the Michele Myers costume and comes face to face with Michele is no funny. 9 Michele's mask looks like it came out of a cartoon. 10 the last jump scar is not scary. I give this film 2/10 for the last fight scene is cool but this film is so bad so I think Halloween H20 as the last film and this one never got made

Just Plain Awful.

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
6 October 2012

Day 6 Of My 31 Days Of Horror 2.

After the awesome Halloween H20 20 Years Later Hollywood decided "hurr lets make another one!" The film is about 6 college students who are signed up for a show called Dangertainment. The kids have heard about Laurie Strode played by Jaimee Lee Curtis being killed by Micheal Myers played by Brad Loree. The show is hosted by Freddie played by Busta Rhymes and his co host played by Tyra Banks. The kids are put into Michael Myers house for overnight as surprise surprise the man himself shows up and starts killing them one by one.

This is what I like to call a Hollywood film. Hollywood films are just basically stupid films just to rake in money. The acting is awful. The movies plot just sickens me and surprisingly this film is very boring. Although I did really like the first 15 minutes, but thats all I can say good about this film.

Rated R For Strong Violence, Language, Some Sexuality And Brief Drug Use.

1hr 29min/89min.

29 uses of the F-word.

*/****

The Halloween Saga: Halloween - Resurrection

Author: Justin Purwitsky from Toronto, Canada
4 August 2012

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later ended up being the best of the sequels in the Halloween saga. Around the release of H20, the horror industry was in an interesting time. Scream had reinvigorated the slasher (and horror in general) film at the box office. Horror movies were making money and doing well and being talked about. But unlike the original era of slasher films, where they dominated the box office for over a decade, the slasher as king didn't last nearly as long.

In 1999, one movie came out that reshaped the face of horror. And like the original Halloween in 1978, it was a low budget independent film that went on to break box office records. This movie was The Blair Witch Project and it scared audiences to the tune of $140,000,000, an unheard of number for the type of film it was.

Blair Witch was a found footage, faux documentary horror film. The camera was hand held and shaky and was controlled by the characters in the film. It was shot on film and video and it had a simple story. And like 1978's Halloween, it had no gore, no special effects, a simple story and about an hour and a half of sheer terror.

That's not to say the slasher film didn't play it's part at the movies. A new Friday the 13th (although now they were 'Jason' movies) film was released, a third Scream came out and a new original slasher style film came out called Final Destination. Horror was doing well and on July 12th, 2002 Halloween returned to the big screen.

Halloween: Resurrection follows the continuing story of H20, and like that film it ignores parts four to six. It turns out that Laurie had chopped off the wrong person's head, not Michael's. Technically this doesn't make sense based on the behaviour of the man behind the mask in the last 10 minutes of H20, but as a Halloween fan, sitting in the audience, one can let it go.

Resurrection goes on to wrap up the story of Michael and his sister and introduces a new story line. Michael returns home to Haddonfield, to his house and finds a reality game show being filmed there. Hence he has to knock off the people in his house, one by one and in increasingly gruesome ways. The reality game show allows for Resurrection to throw in a bit of a Blair Witch influence. Each character in the house gets their own camera and thus the view switches back and forth between shaky, video style footage and nicely framed, smooth film footage.

This makes for an interesting idea, and some cool scenes with Michael making his way through the halls and not being noticed by anyone except the audience, but overall Resurrection fails as a movie. First and foremost it fails because it is not scary. Myers himself works pretty well, he seems looming and scary, he walks the right way and he has the creepy head tilt, but once again he no longer looms in the background for very long. He's always clearly visible and ready to strike. Technically, for Resurrection's given story, this makes sense, but it doesn't work for the scare factor.

Like Halloween II, this film is directed by Rick Rosenthal. When he made part two he had taken Michael Myers and made him less of a realistic monster. He made the second Halloween a film filled with jump scares and didn't capture the tension that the original did. And following H20, he does the same thing here.

But it isn't only the lack of terror that makes Resurrection ultimately fail. The story is plain and generic (although the first 10 minutes with Jamie Leigh Curtis are pretty good) and the dialogue is pretty poor. Most of the actual dialogue sounds fake and expositional, where the characters instead of sounding like they are talking to each other end up having conversations that spell out the story for the audience.

The acting for the most part is okay. The acting by the staff at the hospital is sub par but all the leads do a pretty decent job. Although his performance isn't bad, Busta Rhymes does end up sinking the movie some what. His character says some really stupid things and in one scene he does some really cheesy and out of place kung fu poses and noises before he drop kicks Michael Myers. What was Rosenthal thinking when he included that?

Another really strange omission is a wide shot of the Myer's house. Although it sounds small, a wide shot to show the outside of the house would of helped the atmosphere of the film in many ways. For example, seeing the Myer's house in a wide shot, establishing to the audience that they were back to where it all began could of built up tension, but for some inexplicable reason, all the audience ever gets is interior shots and quick close ups of various outside features.

The film is rather well shot, with great choreography and editing, especially when you take into account that in addition to the film cameras, there were the six or seven video cameras that were used throughout the film. So the film does flow nicely and never really leaves the audience bored. But when all is said and done, and the end credits start to roll, especially after H20, Halloween: Resurrection sadly end ups leaving one with a strong and overbearing feeling of disappointment.

Film Rating: 64%

Breakdown (How Halloween: Resurrection scored 64%):

Production Design: 7 out of 10 Cinematography: 7 out of 10 Re-playability: 6 out of 10 Originality: 6 out of 10 Costumes: 7 out of 10 Directing: 6 out of 10 Editing: 7 out of 10 Acting: 7 out of 10 Music: 7 out of 10 Script: 4 out of 10

Trick or treat....MoFo!!!

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
2 July 2012

When a group of college students win a contest to spend the night in the childhood home of serial killer Michael Myers

they expect a few scares But none of them are prepared for what awaits them. The house has been rigged with cameras as they are to be broadcast live over the internet to be watched by millions.

As they wander around the house in search of some kind of answer for Michael's murderous actions they find a bigger problem.

Michael has come home and he does not intend to let anyone leave his house alive. ...

So Curtis never finished the job. That quite touching ending of H20 was just a guy asking for help.

Scraping the barrel and cash cow come to mind. The opening is good, and i'm glad Curtis killed off Laurie, because the rest of the film is trying to pull in the Scream crowd, and it fails miserably.

The film isn't scary, the characters are dull and very, very annoying, and to top it all off, we get Busta Rhymes spouting one liners and Tyra Banks spending the entire movie pouting and drinking coffee.

Even the forgettable one from American Pie pops up with a smug grin as if to say i'm the most famous person here, but he gets offed quickly.

It's an offence to the franchise, and the kick in the crown jewels is knowing that Rosenthal, the guy who directed the original sequel, helmed this.

Avoid, or turn off after Curtis buys it.

"Disappointing & Unnecessary Sequel!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
31 March 2012

Bianca Kajlich, Busta Rhymes, Tyra Banks and Jamie Lee Curtis star in this 2002 horror sequel. This starts off with Laurie Strode (Curtis) in a mental institution for killing someone who she thought was her evil brother, Michael Myers. She's soon confronted by the real Michael (Brad Loree) and is killed. A year later, Michael returns to his home and stalks a group of college students who get to spend the night in his home for a reality show, "Dangertainment" created by Freddie (Rhymes) and Nora (Banks). Sara (Kajlich) is the main teen who's fearful of going into the Myers house and becomes targeted by Michael. Rick Rosenthal also returns as director after he directed the second film. This is a disappointing and unnecessary sequel and I think I speak for many that the beginning with Curtis is probably the only good part. Rhymes and Banks didn't help it either, but I like the camera stuff and probably still recommend it if you're a fan of the series.