IMDb > Halloween: Resurrection (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Halloween: Resurrection

Halloween: Resurrection More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 61: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Halloween and Michael should have died with H2O

Author: bensonmum2 from Tennessee
5 October 2005

Why was this movie even made? Hasn't this story been beaten to death? Did we really need another ridiculous installment in the series? Of course the answer to all of these questions is money. Apparently and inexplicably there is still cash to be mined from the Halloween franchise. Too bad. Halloween H2O provided what I thought was the perfect end to Michael Myers.

There are so many negative things I could say about Halloween: Resurrection that I really don't know where to begin. I suppose I'll start with what I found to be the biggest problem – Busta Rhymes. Has there ever been a more annoying person to appear in a horror film? What a horrible performance!

And then there's the whole idea that Michael has been living in a tunnel system under his old house that the police never thought to search. Yeah, right. The whole notion is an insult to the intelligence of any thinking person.

Don't you think that an event like investigating the Myers' house on Halloween night would draw a crowd of onlookers (or at least nut-jobs) from near and far? There's no way Michael should have been able to enter and exit the house unseen. The crowds of the curious, security, or police would have surely noticed something going on. Again, this whole notion is an insult to the intelligence of any thinking person.

Honestly, I could write paragraph after paragraph of what I found wrong with Halloween: Resurrection, but what's the point. It's too easy. I will give the movie credit for one thing – the actors wearing cameras was a nice touch. It's too bad they didn't have anything worth filming.

The Halloween Saga: Halloween - Resurrection

Author: Justin Purwitsky from Toronto, Canada
4 August 2012

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later ended up being the best of the sequels in the Halloween saga. Around the release of H20, the horror industry was in an interesting time. Scream had reinvigorated the slasher (and horror in general) film at the box office. Horror movies were making money and doing well and being talked about. But unlike the original era of slasher films, where they dominated the box office for over a decade, the slasher as king didn't last nearly as long.

In 1999, one movie came out that reshaped the face of horror. And like the original Halloween in 1978, it was a low budget independent film that went on to break box office records. This movie was The Blair Witch Project and it scared audiences to the tune of $140,000,000, an unheard of number for the type of film it was.

Blair Witch was a found footage, faux documentary horror film. The camera was hand held and shaky and was controlled by the characters in the film. It was shot on film and video and it had a simple story. And like 1978's Halloween, it had no gore, no special effects, a simple story and about an hour and a half of sheer terror.

That's not to say the slasher film didn't play it's part at the movies. A new Friday the 13th (although now they were 'Jason' movies) film was released, a third Scream came out and a new original slasher style film came out called Final Destination. Horror was doing well and on July 12th, 2002 Halloween returned to the big screen.

Halloween: Resurrection follows the continuing story of H20, and like that film it ignores parts four to six. It turns out that Laurie had chopped off the wrong person's head, not Michael's. Technically this doesn't make sense based on the behaviour of the man behind the mask in the last 10 minutes of H20, but as a Halloween fan, sitting in the audience, one can let it go.

Resurrection goes on to wrap up the story of Michael and his sister and introduces a new story line. Michael returns home to Haddonfield, to his house and finds a reality game show being filmed there. Hence he has to knock off the people in his house, one by one and in increasingly gruesome ways. The reality game show allows for Resurrection to throw in a bit of a Blair Witch influence. Each character in the house gets their own camera and thus the view switches back and forth between shaky, video style footage and nicely framed, smooth film footage.

This makes for an interesting idea, and some cool scenes with Michael making his way through the halls and not being noticed by anyone except the audience, but overall Resurrection fails as a movie. First and foremost it fails because it is not scary. Myers himself works pretty well, he seems looming and scary, he walks the right way and he has the creepy head tilt, but once again he no longer looms in the background for very long. He's always clearly visible and ready to strike. Technically, for Resurrection's given story, this makes sense, but it doesn't work for the scare factor.

Like Halloween II, this film is directed by Rick Rosenthal. When he made part two he had taken Michael Myers and made him less of a realistic monster. He made the second Halloween a film filled with jump scares and didn't capture the tension that the original did. And following H20, he does the same thing here.

But it isn't only the lack of terror that makes Resurrection ultimately fail. The story is plain and generic (although the first 10 minutes with Jamie Leigh Curtis are pretty good) and the dialogue is pretty poor. Most of the actual dialogue sounds fake and expositional, where the characters instead of sounding like they are talking to each other end up having conversations that spell out the story for the audience.

The acting for the most part is okay. The acting by the staff at the hospital is sub par but all the leads do a pretty decent job. Although his performance isn't bad, Busta Rhymes does end up sinking the movie some what. His character says some really stupid things and in one scene he does some really cheesy and out of place kung fu poses and noises before he drop kicks Michael Myers. What was Rosenthal thinking when he included that?

Another really strange omission is a wide shot of the Myer's house. Although it sounds small, a wide shot to show the outside of the house would of helped the atmosphere of the film in many ways. For example, seeing the Myer's house in a wide shot, establishing to the audience that they were back to where it all began could of built up tension, but for some inexplicable reason, all the audience ever gets is interior shots and quick close ups of various outside features.

The film is rather well shot, with great choreography and editing, especially when you take into account that in addition to the film cameras, there were the six or seven video cameras that were used throughout the film. So the film does flow nicely and never really leaves the audience bored. But when all is said and done, and the end credits start to roll, especially after H20, Halloween: Resurrection sadly end ups leaving one with a strong and overbearing feeling of disappointment.

Film Rating: 64%

Breakdown (How Halloween: Resurrection scored 64%):

Production Design: 7 out of 10 Cinematography: 7 out of 10 Re-playability: 6 out of 10 Originality: 6 out of 10 Costumes: 7 out of 10 Directing: 6 out of 10 Editing: 7 out of 10 Acting: 7 out of 10 Music: 7 out of 10 Script: 4 out of 10

by far the worst Halloween film

Author: Marcus Geebs from United States
24 March 2012

Whoever wrote this must really hate John Carpenter and all the Halloween fans why would someone like Busta Rhymes be in this film and why why one earth have him kung-fu fight Michael Myers. I fell bad for Jamie Lee for being in this film and had to actually die. Have Busta Rhymes die not Laurie Strode. My God if the next movie hadn't been a remake we might have ended up seeing Mr. T and Hulk Hogan Boxing a Wrestling Michael Myers. I am disgusted with Rick Rosenthal and still hate him for letting a rapper Kung-fu fight Michael Myers. Dimension Films Should be Ashamed of themselves for making this movie. Halloween movies are supposed to be good!!!

Garbage.

Author: gaetano-sica from United States
24 November 2011

You killed off Laurie Strode. (Really think about that sentence and tell me your blood doesn't boil in rage.) You know, Laurie Strode? One of the greatest leading ladies of a horror franchise like ever? I know it's difficult to comprehend. That should be a golden rule in the unwritten book of what not to do in a horror movie. This movie is an insult to the once great Halloween franchise. Heck, it's an insult to horror movies in general. Shame on you. And how the hell do you kill off Laurie Strode. Wow, that is so depressing. I'm surprised no one who was involved with this movie needed therapy afterwards. And was another sequel even necessary? To me, H20 is the last film of the series, that one had the perfect finish for the Halloween series. This is just garbage and a pure crime against horror movies.

An absolute travesty....

Author: ThePhantomKiller from United States
26 October 2011

To say this is is the worst Halloween movie in the series is way too much praise. This is, I believe, one of the very worst movies of all time. It is purely and simply... awful. From start to finish, top to bottom, up the hill and down, this is a huge load of toxic waste on an old soggy cracker. Spits in the face of the fans in too many ways to count. Completely derails the tremendous steam the series regained with H20 purely by existing, let alone the actual puke inducing events that take place within the film. Busta Rhymes? Karate kicking one-liners through a major role in a Halloween film? I really don't need to say too much more after that. I consider this film fantasy land. If this is the modern Halloween movie, the original might as well have been made in the 20's. Thats how far removed it is from Carpenters (or even Rosenthalls!) film. Its not a real Halloween movie. It almost doesn't qualify as a movie at all. It looks a joke made by fans to spoof the series on you tube. Sets look like sets, nothing is believable from the acting to the lighting. Greed spawned this little bastard. And it is, I believe, one of the worst things ever captured on film.

Resurrection becomes the trend instead of setting it.

Author: amesmonde from Novelist of The Final Version
20 September 2011

A group of students win a competition to spend a night in the house of killer Michael Myers while it's broadcast on an Internet. However, Michael is living in a below his childhood house and the killings begin.

Continuing the continuity of H20, Resurrection takes the viewer back to Haddonfield. Halloween II director Rick Rosenthal returns with a run of the mill horror affair. It looks good and is slickly edited but disappointingly suffers from the horror trend of the day. In the vein of Scream, it has smart talking characters, packed witty quips and answers it also borrows from ogles of video feed footage horror films.

Busta Rhymes puts in a surprisingly entertaining performance as Freddie Harris who goes head to head with Michael, this time played by stuntman Brad Loree. Tyra Banks character Nora is a copycat Courtney Cox's Gale Weathers and gets little screen time. Like H20 the rest of the cast are just characters cut out from countless other films and meat for Michael to dispose of. The strong dark opening with Jamie Lee Curtis' cameo is probably the most interesting and satisfying part of the film.

While trying to appeal to the teen film goers, it becomes the trend instead of setting it, this dilutes the scare horror factor that made Halloween successful.

As a plain slasher it's an adequate ride, but lacks any of the previous Halloween magic including horror and fear.

How could they!

Author: cblazo from United States
3 July 2011

What an awful film. I love Halloween 1 and 2. Part 4 is pretty good and H20 was okay. As for this atrocity. I am ashamed to say I watched it. From beginning to end it was nothing like any Halloween that I have ever seen. Even that Rob Zombie crap was better. Michael's mask was goofy and didn't look right. He floated around and sometimes speed walked! What the f**k. We're not at the mall with grandma. After the years of this wonderful marvel of a movie. You would think they could get the facts straight. The time line doesn't make sense. Plus after all of what Michael has been through, do you really think Busta Rhymes, with his yo,yo,yo crap would have any effect on him. Come on people. Why even waste your time. I recommend any of them, but this one.

well I didn't love or hate it

Author: rexdaugherty from United States
20 February 2011

This entry was OK at best. Too me I think it was good mainly for entertainment. The idea was good some of the carry out was as well but overall it just some of the scenes I liked a lot is where that one guy is trying to fight Michael with a couple knives himself. well its been a good while since I watched my DVD of this film but I recall a couple characters trying to fight back and thats one thing I like cause they don't go down without a fight but they go down anyway. Things I didn't like about this film is scenes that felt unnecessary one example is Trya Banks' character making a cappuccino. all in all the movie OK far from the best but I think my least favorite maybe part 6 because the whole thorn idea but thats a review for later.

Next up: P. Diddy battles Michael Myers in a steel cage?

Author: happyendingrocks from United States
23 October 2009

After the pointless mess that was Halloween H20, I was obviously not all that excited to witness the Resurrection. However, once I've invested my time in 7 films in a franchise, it's pretty much a given that I'm going to see the 8th, if only to hold on to the vain hope that maybe someday I will get a Halloween sequel that comes anywhere close to matching the original.

Resurrection isn't necessarily a good movie, but by utilizing a fresh concept and doing some interesting things with it, the film at least manages to be entertaining. At this point in the franchise, offering a Michael Myers tale that doesn't make you want to turn off the movie midway through is a genuine accomplishment.

Perhaps the most rewarding thing about this 8th Halloween installment is how much it catches the viewer off guard. After all, with both Busta Rhymes and Tyra Banks in the cast, we're almost assured that this will be the penultimate awful Halloween sequel. But, when the end result is a modestly entertaining 90 minutes, we have to concede that Resurrection manages something that some of the other entries in the franchise haven't done.

Don't get me wrong; there's still stupidity galore here.

The opening scene with the return of Laurie Strode has nothing to do with the film that follows, and we get the sense that Jamie Lee Curtis only agreed to appear in Resurrection so that she could be killed off, thus sparing herself the indignity of ever having to appear in a Halloween movie again. While we should probably feel some sort of dramatic impact after seeing her finally fall prey to the bogeyman who has pursued her through three films before this one, the entire sequence is so devoid of suspense or purpose that any sense of climax is negated, and it's hard to feel much sympathy for our former protagonist when she essentially walks into the knife herself.

Busta Rhymes is one of the main characters here, which is asinine enough in itself, but this idiocy is compounded by the series of lame one-liners he has throughout the film. In a franchise that has set new standards of dumb, there's no debating that the single worst line to ever grace a Halloween film is delivered from Busta's lips here: "trick or treat, motherf****r". Did I mention he also does karate in this movie? Unfortunately, I'm totally serious.

Battlestar Galactica fans may be excited at the prospect of an early appearance by Katee Sackhoff. But don't be; she's the single most irritating and unlikable character in a cast full of them, and the dialogue our beloved Starbuck is forced to deliver is a frakking embarrassment.

Then there's the slight problem of Michael Myers being decapitated at the conclusion of Halloween H2O, which could be viewed as a considerable hindrance to his being able to slash his way through his roster of victims here. Though the explanation used to solve this problem is iffy at best, it's worth noting that if you watch the finale of H2O, there isn't a single element that betrays the unlikely scenario described here. At least they thought it through a bit, we have to give them that.

Elsewhere in the film, there is other evidence of a brain being involved somewhere in the creative process. The concept itself is strong and timely, and the execution is well realized. The alternation between different cameras to give us first-person views from our doomed characters that augment the standard film format sets up some nice images, particularly since we're dealing with dark and grainy video that heightens the tension on its own. Michael Myers hasn't looked scarier in years than he does lurking in the shadows of his dilapidated house, as seen through the POV cameras of his future victims.

We alternate between the happenings inside the house and the view of the voyeuristic internet users watching the events from the safety of the outside world, and the reactions of the viewers are particularly smart. As Michael slices his way though the cast, the online audience is engrossed in the story, but unwilling to believe that what they are seeing is real. This is a fine commentary on how our media culture has learned to distrust how genuine the elements of reality TV are, and how we've adapted to accepting the most loathsome activities of the stars of these shows as part of the entertainment. Whether or not the film-makers realized they were making this observation, it remains a keen piece of media criticism.

Though the door is clearly left open for yet another Halloween sequel, the franchise has splintered now, and Rob Zombie's reboot pushed the series in another direction. It's sort of too bad, since there is enough promise in Halloween: Resurrection to suggest that capable hands could have gotten the saga of Michael Myers back on track. Whatever film-maker ultimately decides to pick up the thread of this story where it left off, they would be wise to note the things that Resurrection does right, since it assuredly outshines the two film that preceded it.

Not a difficult thing to do, granted, but a distinction nonetheless.

Michael Myers on Fear Factor

Author: kga58 from United States
12 November 2005

This movie is a good time waster, no more. The first mistake was the ridiculous explanation of how Michael is STILL alive, but OK I'll go with it. The next and for me unforgivable mistake is killing off Jamie Lee Curtis' character of Laurie Strode. She is as much to credit with the success of the HALLOWEEN series as is Michael if not more so. Her presence in the lead role in H20 lifted that film above mediocre status. To kill her off in the first 10 minutes was inexcusable. She is the only one who can properly end the series hopefully with an assist from son John. Of course she IS the sister of the unkillable one. Maybe it runs in the family? The casting of Busta Rhymes is yet another screw up. He is nothing but irritating and his constant stream of M.F.s is tiresome and offensive. This is good dialogue?! They throw in a girl whose emotional extremes make things go haywire in the auditions, then do nothing with it. That at least could have been something different, but maybe they were afraid it would look like a ripoff of F13TH THE NEW BLOOD'S Tina. On the plus side it was good to see a reasonable facsimile of the Myers'house, not the more traditionally haunted house looking one used in H4 and H5. They got that right. What made the house frightening was its ordinariness. Also it was funny when the real Michael came mask to mask with the pretend Michael. A little more should have been done with that for comic relief. A time waster--nothing more.