IMDb > "The Invisible Man" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Invisible Man"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Invisible Man" More at IMDbPro »

One of Sci-Fi's Best

Author: dcsnowdog from United States
10 November 2004

This truly was one of the most enjoyable sci-fi shows on TV. I used to love the line-up - Invisible Man then Farscape (another truly awesome sci-fi series). The chemistry between the characters was great, they worked very well together. That, the shows humor, intensity, and new spin on the classic Invisible Man mythos just added to it's greatness. To bad it got the axe after about only two seasons. Truly a great loss. It's a good thing we have DVD's, huh? That way we can enjoy what we were able to get and hopefully enjoy any cool extras they might give us.

What a great show.

Author: (scullyliev@Aol.com) from ny
25 November 2003

Some good things come to an end too early, like The Invisible Man shows. Though not original in it's conception, a man that can turn invisible, it shows what the government might have done if they were in possession of an invisible man. Plus this shows great a science fiction with out an arc, for those people who never pay attention. It also has a hints (who am I kidding) . . . most episodes are comedies. It does what few true science fictions can, mix sci-fi with comedy and still maintain its sci-fi ness. I suggest ,if you have a region free DVD player, go and buy the DVDs of season one from Amazon.com or anywhere you can get it. It is definitely worth the money.

Straight from an I-Maniac's mouth

Author: sunshine917_32 (sunshine917_32@yahoo.com)
3 November 2001

As part of the I-Maniacs and a member of both the official and one unofficial bboards, I can't go by without commenting on HOW GREAT THIS SHOW IS! This show has interesting storylines, an (as far as I know . . . or care) unprecedented premise, and great character interaction. That has to be one of my favourite parts. The banter between Darien and Bobby makes it seem almost real. You get the feeling that these are real people and not wooden actors reciting what they memorized on a piece of paper. Oh, and SCREW YOU, SCI-FI CHANNEL! See, they didn't renew it for a third season which makes NO FRELLING SENSE WHATSOEVER! With a huge fanbase and great ratings, it was their number 2 show. If any network that might even be slightly game is out there, just know that this wonderful show is looking for a home. Over 600 willing fans will follow this show to the ends of the earth. I'm sure we'll check out some of your other shows, too. Okay. The end.

--Her Majesty Queen Tragos of the Goats, all powerful queen who could have you executed at her slightest whim. Do not anger the goat queen for she will order her loyal goat minions to throw you into the Pit of Doom which holds one, slightly angry, female chupacabra and one recently added Greek chef.

My Favorite show on television

Author: Megyn from SF Bay Area
16 June 2001

The Invisible Man is my favorite show on television. Though I love the plot and it's high level of plausibility in the realm of sci-fi, the characters of this show are really what make it good. Vincent Ventresca headlines as former criminal Darien Fawkes. Because of his unruly past, Fawkes is certainly not an agent who goes by the book. Fawkes is accompanied by Bobby Hobbes, Paul Ben-Victor, who is a highly qualified, and under-appreciated agent. Hobbes' constant bickering and Fawkes attempt at reassurance is one of the best parts of the show. Any time the two are in the room together, I laugh. Their endless arguing with each other and anyone from The Agency is hilarious.

This show rocks!

Author: vampyre-8 from Land of the Cows, USA
12 June 2000

I watched the first episode of "Invisible Man" because I thought Farscape was on, but discovered a new fave show! I loved Vincent Ventresa in PREY, but that show was cancelled...but now Vincent has another chance to show off his acting ability!! His character is rather cynical in the beginning, starting out the first episode with "I always thought good and evil could kiss my a**, but then they turned around and bit it." I believe this is a great show for Vincent, he has such talent! I really hope this show succeeds, it has great potential!! I can't wait until the end of the week to see it again!! For anyone who likes comedy, sci-fi, revenge, just about anything, this show is worth your time! I hope that if enough people watch this show, there won't be any chance of it being cancelled like my beloved PREY!

Entertaining and Smart, Sci-fi to be proud of

Author: muffingoddess38 from Pennsylvania
17 February 2008

Intelligent, wry, and thrilling, "The Invisible Man" stood out in 2000 among Sci-Fi's usual lineup, balancing out "Farscape"'s fantastical art direction and sometimes melodramatic script with gritty, cynical plots and modern noir dialogue. The show sat between "Law and Order" and "Doctor Who" on the believability meter, but there was no denying the fact that "I-Man"'s characters went beyond caricature. Even characters that verged on predictability like the Keeper, the Official, and Eberts were given reprieves from the formulaic. Paul Ben-Victor and Vincent Ventresca had a chemistry that evolved and shifted elegantly, made even more remarkable by the revolving door team of writers and directors. The effects are never allowed to overwhelm the plot, and the science only sometimes verged on the totally unbelievable. The show's low points are still entertaining, and I've never seen such taut pilot episodes. Matt Greenberg and Sci-Fi should be commended, and fans have the right to demand a comprehensive DVD edition of the show. Every time I come across a marathon of "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" on Sci-Fi, I roll my eyes and sigh, mourning the excitement and possibility of science fiction television that "Invisible Man" and its ilk represented.

Excellent!

Author: movie-3 from Savannah, Georgia
13 June 2000

Wow! What a way to start a show! Based simply on the pilot, this show has GREAT promise. Vincent Ventresca is likeable and comically wise-ass as the title character and the entire show is top-notch, from acting to effects to writing and direction. Here's kudos to The SCI FI Channel for creating an original and compelling new sci-fi series! With this and Farscape and LEXX, I have to say that I'm eagerly anticipating each and every Friday night this summer, as well as the rest of the channel's "SUMMER OF SCI FI". If you're looking for a cool and refreshing blast of non-stop entertainment, check out "the invisible man" (The 2-hour pilot garnered a 2.4, the highest ratings The SCI FI Channel has EVER received for ANY program in its 8 years of existence.) The show is an amazing blend of comedy, action, great writing, directing, acting,and special effects! So stop watching bland shows like "Friends" and check out "the invisible man"! It's an hour well spent!

THIS IS MY FAVORITE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: bertie gros (bertiegros-2) from Marrero, Louisiana
14 July 2000

Since this new series started, I have tuned in every week. Every episode just keeps getting better and better. I really do like the chemistry that is developing among the characters. Vincent Vintresca really does give the character of Dareyn a lot of spirit and great personality, and he really does have a way of putting a smile on your face. This is a CHAMP of a series, and I surely do hope that they keep those great stories coming.

Great writing, great acting, good casting

Author: Sue McCartin from United States, Tampabay FL
14 July 2010

I loved this series when it was on, I watched it all the time when it was on sci-fi channel. For its time they did pretty darn good with the special effects; these days it would be all CG and a ton cheaper I'm sure. From what I've read it wasn't a matter of being canceled so much as a matter of it was getting too expensive to keep shooting it and there was apparently some squabbling amongst those in control. For the record they didn't kill the main character off, and, they actually "ended" the series with a happy ending. Fawks is still walking around, if they wanted to they could do a movie or a mini series, I just hope they could get the same cast. Fawks and Dobbs played off each other wonderfully, Keeper was really good in her role too. The official...well sometimes you wanted to throttle him but he was good in his role too and he did end up softening a bit to his charges at many points during the series. I can't really think of a single episode that could be called silly or hokey. I just got the whole series to watch all over again, I remember a lot of them but I guess I missed a few too. I'm enjoying them all over again, the stories are not dated, the same sorts of things are still going on today. I don't think I've seen any other movies the lead was in but he's pretty darn good now I've got to go looking for his other stuff. This is a family show, no cursing, a minimum of violence (as shows go today) and thought provoking stories that even most kids will understand while there's also something in there for the older crowd watching with them.

The Best series that Sci-fi has done too date.

Author: gentihawk from United States
12 August 2006

I loved this show from it's first airing, and I always looked forward to watching each episode every week. The plot, characters, writing, special affects were outstanding! Then the sci-fi channel screwed up yet again and canceled a very entertaining, well written show. I say bring it back, I know all of the actors would come back. I would suggest buying the DVD's, I am. I hope the sci-fi channels executives get word of these comments, and realize that they need to be more involved with their viewers. I only watch one show on that channel now, (Ghost Hunters), but I am fairly sure that shortly they will cancel that too.