IMDb > "Young Americans" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Young Americans"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Young Americans" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

I wish they had kept this one

Author: JezebelSoul from Los Angeles, CA
31 March 2003

This was such a great show on the WB. The intricate and fun story script and the excellent acting made the show worth keeping. I watched this show from beginning to end. 10 times better than any Dawson's Creek drama. Too bad they didn't continue...I would have definitely watched.

Shame on WB!

Author: Angela L from manila, philippines
18 March 2004

I first heard about this show back in 2000 because of Rodney Scott and his guest appearance at Dawson's Creek. I am not a fan of Dawson's Creek, but there were a lot of articles on Seventeen/YM/Teen on this "summer series" and articles related to the show and DC, and so I got intrigued when they finally aired it in here. It was fresh, funny and extremely interesting. But I didn't know that it suddenly got canceled without WB finishing the story. After seeing the 8th episode I thought, "Well, I hope they air the next season!" To my dismay, there was no next season. ARGH. Agonies of life. If they were going to cancel it, at least close the story! Open endings suck.

Anyway, this is a really unique show. The characters are interesting, although the only storyline I'm REALLY interested is Jake and Hamilton's story.

It's such a shame that we'll never know what happened to Jake and Hamilton, Scout and Bella and the dramatic life of Will Krudski. Please make a DVD!

Best thing to happen to TV since "The Simpsons."

Author: Mag-13 from northern Virginia
30 August 2000

Completely distracting: beautiful, young white people with doe eyes that drink in the rural, summer Connecticut sunlight that's reflecting off the peaceful lake where all the main characters take English classes on the docks after a tastefully sweaty session of rowing (crew). A sex farce: to rebel against her mother, Jacqueline dons a boob-girdle and attends Rawley, an exclusive boys high school. The dean's son, Hamilton, falls in love with "Jake" and she with him. "Ham," played by Guess Jeans model Ian Somerhalter, and whose blue eyes are lit from the inside, thinks he's gay for loving "him," and is relieved when Jake looses the trusses one night.

Beautiful townie girl: one brown eye, one blue eye, and a thin layer of peach/melon lipstick on her soft lips at all times, you can't stop looking at Bella. She falls in love with Scout, a Rawley boy whose pleading eyes won't quit. Unfortunately, she discovers early on, he's her half-brother. Scout played Keith Partridge last year according to IMDB.

Will, the townie narrator who has scholarshipped his way into a summer session in this Rawley world, draws everyone together. He also played Will, Dawson's friend and pool shark, in a latter Dawsons Creek episode.

This show practically ruined my summer. Every Wednesday I had to be in front of the television. And the funny thing is, almost none of these actors has acted before. Am I nuts? I am a 45-year-old woman. These people are living my childhood fantasy! English on the docks!

Mag 13

A good show that shouldn't have been canceled

Author: Willow192 from Orlando, Florida
16 January 2002

This show was a breathe of fresh air to the dreadful WB lineup. It had it all, originality, good actors, and creativity. It's a shame that it was canceled because it was so much different from that pretentious crap that the WB plays (7th Heaven, Dawson's Creek). I don't know what the WB was thinking when the canceled it.

All of the actors actually had talent and I hope they go on to do great things. A standout was Katherine Moening as Jake. I've never seen the concept of a girl posing as a boy. This was very creative even though the reason for this was kind of lame. And then her and Hamilton's relationship was great because they had trouble of hiding it and everyone thought that they were gay.

I think the only summer show that actually survived was 90210. It's a shame that this show didn't do the same because it was actually good. 9 out of 10 stars.

My favorite TV mini series of all time was not given a chance by The WB

Author: (amensor@dc.rr.com) from Palm Springs, CA
23 February 2005

"Young Americans" was my favorite TV show mini series of all time. Each of the characters were interesting and developed very natural and I became a fan within the first fifteen minutes of the first episode.

Each episode of the series, which was set at a boy's college, contained some very positive lessons that were thoughtfully presented by the Professor Finn so as not to 'preach'.

Over the course of the 8 episodes that aired we became intimately involved in the lives of these people and became involved with them.

The WB Network really did not thoughtfully give this series a fighting chance, there were weeks when the show did not air in it's set time slot, which I believe is a must, if you want to develop an audience, and it was almost impossible to find out when it was going to be on, unless you watched The WB 24 hours a day and were lucky enough to catch the one or two promos for the next airing.

Unfortunately we will never know what happened in the interwoven lives of these characters because it was cancelled after only 8 sporadic episodes.

It would be nice if WB would put it out on DVD, as far as the music rights, the music was promoted on each episode, and if any of it is still available today, I would think the artists and labels (much of which was WB Records) should welcome the new publicity.

u r not crazy

Author: Alix from san antonio
22 June 2004

I may not be in your generation, but i can definitely sympathize. I watched that show religiously every week all summer long and fell in love with Ian Somerhalder who I had only seen in magazines before. I was absolutely crushed when in the fall the WB did not continue the show, and doubly so when the following summer they did not resume it.

I do not think you are crazy for watching it, it was a very well done show with well-casted characters; I just think The WB was extremely dumb to not have continued it.

I mean, 'Buffy' was originally just a "fill-in" show not supposed to go more than 12 episodes or so, and now here it is just NOW ending after like 7 or 8 seasons. I'll never understand television producers and their reasoning.

An excellent show

Author: (a_wilbury@webtv.net) from Austin, Texas
4 August 2000

This is an amazing new WB show that actually has some depth! I am completely addicted to the characters of Jake (Katherine Moennig) and Hamilton (Ian Somerhalder) and their entire plotline. They play their characters so convincingly that it borders on disturbing when you remember that Jake is a girl and Ian used to be a model. Odd. By far one of the best WB shows. I'm hooked, and it only took 1 episode.

Wonderful

Author: wolfhell88 from Austria
7 August 2002

What a great TV show. Thank God this is not "Beverly Hills 90210" and not "Dawsons Creek". It is more serious, romantic, warm-hearted, told with humor and without any stereotypes. Good actors like Ed Quinn who plays a great teacher called Mr. Finn and good stories make "Young Americans" a lot better than usual Teenie-Soaps. The first three episodes have the sensitive songs of Nick Drake in the background. Unfortunately this great show ended after 8 episodes. A TV series that talks about Thoreau, Emerson and Whitman seems a bit too intellectual for a Teenie-show. I wish that one day the producers and the audience will find out how good it was and will continue with the stories.

A Very good show

Author: Axel Otterberg from Miami, USA
5 September 2001

A Very good show. I think this TV-series and Dawson's Creek is the best TV-shows for young people. I hope this TV-series will play for a very, very long time. I also like the acting. It's great! When Charlie Hunnam (Queer as folk & Byker Grove) came to the show everything were much better. I saw this TV-series first in England. When I was home last christmas in Skövde, Sweden (I come from there) did I discover that Young Americans not had been shown on swedish TV. I was so disappointed! Very Well, I'll give this TV-series *****/5, IT'S THE BEST!!!

Super!!!

Author: sandy from Mauritius
21 October 2003

I just wanted to say that I just saw the series and as from the first five minutes I was already ADDICTED to it!!!! I especially LOVED the the role of 'Jake and Hamilton'.. I think that 'Young American' is really great and that its a sham that there is not second season.. I would have really loved to continuer watching it and it surely changes from 'Buffy..' and all the rest.. Hope that there will be more seasons to come.. :)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]