IMDb > What Katy Did (1999) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

What Katy Did (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Sweet but disappointing as so different to the original book

Author: eloquentwisdom from South Africa
21 June 2014

The movie What Katy Did, is a sweet family movie. However if you are like me and have read the book about 10 times, a childhood classic, then you may be disappointed with the story line. It only very broadly sticks to the story line and some of the book's most important moments are completely changed or left out. If they had just stuck to the original storyline, it would've been an awesome movie, because the book was so beautifully written. I found myself mentally ticking off a check list in my head of all the details that had been changed and it made me feel sad. It is a movie the whole family can watch, and I must say that the character Katy was perfectly typecast for her role. Katie was definitely as I had always imagined her.

Adventures of a young girl, Katy Carr, her widowed father, Dr. Carr, and her siblings in 19th-c. rural America

Author: studiousgal from Canada
17 August 2012

As a young girl, I read this book and its sequels "What Katy Did at School" and "What Katy Did Next." This is an entertaining little movie that is chiefly of interest for its cast. Many of the actors have gone on to bigger roles. Incidentally, while the IMDb gives the date as "2004" the end credits state it is 1999. It's fun to see Allison Pill, the sophisticated Zelda Fitzgerald of "Midnight in Paris" in this young role as tomboy Katy. And yes, that's a pint-sized Michael Cera in an early appearance as little "Dorry."

The movie simplifies the book somewhat (one fewer Carr sibling; Katy's story is telescoped in time, so that it all seems to happen in one year). The rural setting is lovely and Canadian viewers will enjoy spotting some of the actual locations. The story is sombre in its middle part, perhaps too depressing for young viewers. It will, perhaps, mainly appeal to adults who remember Katy from their childhood.