IMDb > Waking Up in Reno (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Grown up 'American Pie'

Author: GraniteQuarry from UK
7 October 2004

I found this film on satellite one night, hadn't heard of it so sat down to watch - and spent the next 90 mins laughing!! Great lines delivered deadpan by a great cast, never thought I'd hear such witty banter (definitely very crude at times!!) said by such a cast. I especially enjoyed the lines from Patrick Swayze, I haven't seen him in anything in years since the 'Roadhouse' days and he made me laugh bigtime, do more comedy Mr.Swayze!!

Not a brain teaser or Oscar winner by any means, but definitely worth a watch if you want some laughter.

My rating - 8/10.

all said and done, I had a great time with Waking Up In Reno.

Author: (billybrown41@hotmail.com) from Kimberling City, MO.
11 April 2003

I waited on this one for a long time and now that I've finally seen it, I'm happy to say that it was worth the wait. While you may have to be from the South to fully appreciate the humor, I think it's enjoyable enough for just about anyone. I went in expecting light-hearted fun and I got just that. I loved all of the characters and found myself wishing that I was riding with them in that red SUV sipping a Pabst. Good to see Patrick Swayze again and Billy Bob really should do more comedies. Charlize Theron's accent was very convincing as was Natasha Richardson's. Well worth a watch (or six) and I will be buying the DVD.

"I was thinking about going down to the lobby and teasing that rattlesnake."-Lonnie Earl

Laughed out loud!

Author: Shawnee from California
6 November 2002

Waking Up in Reno doesn't seem to have done too well at the box office, but since I always see Billy Bob Thornton's movies, I took a chance. I was very pleasantly surprised. As a lover of roadside Americana and having traveled Interstate 40 more times than I care to recall, the humor particularly hit home. I can't see how anyone wouldn't find the simple, white-trash humor funny. But it wasn't rednecky or dumb, there were a million good lines in the movie. Billy Bob, as usual, was flawless. The plot was simple enough, it was the nuances and details that made the movie so much fun. This is one I'll definitely add to my home library when it's available on DVD. I highly recommend it. It takes a LOT to make ME laugh out loud, but I laughed through the whole movie.

Underrated...B-

Author: petera2 from Boston, USA
12 January 2005

Just caught this film on cable. I noticed the cable TV guide gave it one star. While certainly not a great film, giving it only one star is a bit harsh. Granted, I wouldn't have wanted to sit through two hours of such a movie, but it breezes by in a relatively enjoyable 90 minutes or so (if even that). I must say, as an American I kinda cringe to think of how "Waking in Reno" must satisfy every unflattering stereotype about Americans in the eyes of Europeans. The four characters are about as Red State as you can get (one of the Arkansas accents is done with remarkable aplomb by British actress Natasha Richardson). Richardson and Charleze Theron, the two female leads are none too tough on the eyes (which the men will appreciate). And Billy Bob Thornton give his usual interesting performance (without a doubt the most intriguing actor in America today). Swayze is just so-so, but not much is demanded of him. Not much is demanded of anyone or anything, for that matter, by this harmless, and quite funny, bit of fluff. Make a note to catch the wry commentary and numerous deadpan jokes about redneck culture (the script could have been written by Jeff Foxworthy). As it is, I believe one of the writers is a childhood friend of Billy Bob's from Arkansas (no doubt Thornton's presence in the film, as well as that of big time stars like Theron, was as a favor to the writer/childhood friend of Thornton). The movie reaches it climax at a Monster Truck show. That alone should be all you need to know about the setting and plot. I give it a recommendation to catch on cable/satellite if one of your movie stations is carrying it, though there are probably better things to spend your money on at the video shop.

Very funny and intelligent movie

Author: diver110 from Baltimore
26 July 2003

I am amazed that the average reviews given by web site participants is not much higher. I thought this movie was very funny. It was a comedy with a lot of intelligence and underlying honesty, not your typical mindless shtick, and *very* worth watching. I gave it an 8.

enjoyable movie

Author: jimakros
11 July 2003

I enjoyed this movie.The chevy suburban is nice and you wish you were taking the trip with the cast.All four leads are very natural and believable.Swayze is very likable in this role.Charlize Theron is drop-dead gorgeous and sexy in this,and for any of her fans this is absolute must.The script is okay and funny enough,with some good taste satire of the characters.The flavour of roadside america is attractive without turning into a travel guide.All in all,a well done movie for what it is, doesnt pretend to be anything more.

Cute movie with heart...

Author: LilsZoo2 from Atlanta, GA
11 April 2003

While not Oscar worthy material for any of the four accomplished actors here, Waking Up in Reno must have been a hoot'n a holler for all players. How refreshing it must be not to worry about how this might affect their future work. The characters are a delight from their "trailor trash" mentality to their hillbilly accents and you really begin to care about them right away. Thornton and Richardson are the married couple with difficulties and by evidence of some long awaited affection they are truley in love and just need a good bump on the head to remind them of who they are and want they want and need. Swayze and Theron are the younger couple with Life's road ahead of them and if a vaction to Reno to watch a MONSTER TRUCK RALLEY is anyindication it's going to be a doozy of a ride. It's predictable and got all the angles of a T-Square which is where the humour lies and if you don't take yourself or your problems too seriously you'll laugh as I did. Which is what I think the movie is about anyway. So, sit back and enjoy a heapin' helpin' of Southern Fried Humour with a side of grits and don't be surprised if you find yourself coming back for more.

A Worthy Roadside Attraction

Author: Staci Layne Wilson from Author of Staci's Guide to Animal Movies
16 August 2001

Wakin' up in Reno refers to more than just the alarm clock when two married couples take a road trip -- and an unexpected emotional detour -- from their home town of Little Rock to the "Biggest Little City in the World" for a monster truck rally. Roy (Patrick Swayze, "Forever Lulu") and Candy (Charlize Theron, "Sweet November") tag along with their best friends Lonnie Earl (Billy Bob Thornton, "The Gift") and Darlene (Natasha Richardson, "Blow Dry"), picking up a brand new SUV from the dealership that Lonnie Earl owns, and head off for the wild blue yonder. They're armed with a AAA Trip Tik, which is animated onscreen from time to time as we follow the bouncing auto from point to point on its way out west. Along the way, they stop at a few roadside attractions -- but only the ones Lonnie Earl wants to see, because he's got to keep to their schedule. This is very important to him, even after he eats a 72-ounce steak and winds up in the emergency room. Meanwhile, Candy is ovulating and Roy's got to accommodate her whenever her temperature drops to that magic number. Little does he know, Lonnie Earl may have already planted his seed before they left home. Lonnie Earl's wife, Darlene, doesn't know either -- but you think she might not care, as she hasn't let her husband touch her for the past two years.

This is a pretty simple story and there isn't a lot going on, but it's well directed, and particularly well written and well acted. It all comes together beautifully, and the four actors are completely believable in their could-be country caricature roles. Lonnie Earl's got the Van-Dyke look going on, complete with snakeskin cowboy boots and his faux snakeskin shirt, and Darlene starts off bumpkin-geek with her overalls and badly bleached hair. She later goes babe-chic when she takes the cheating Lonnie Earl's credit card, raids the expensive designer boutiques, and treats herself to a Tony Orlando concert. While none of the characters have especially good qualities, the actors who portray them make them likable and relatable.

While the subject matter is serious, Wakin' Up In Reno is played (mostly) for laughs, and there are plenty of them. It's too bad it's only getting a limited release, as this is one of the smartest, funniest adult comedies I've seen in awhile.

"She's On Her Deal, Y'Know?"

Author: hokeybutt from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 April 2005

WAKING UP IN RENO (3 outta 5 stars) Dubbed by the filmmakers as "a redneck 'Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice'", this is an enjoyable little movie... very funny at times but also treating its characters as real people with real emotions. Billy Bob Thornton is Lonnie Earl, a used car salesman married to Darlene (Natasha Richardson) but who has had a recent fling with her best friend Candy (Charlize Theron). Candy's husband Roy (Patrick Swayze) is desperately trying to get his wife pregnant but suspects his sperm may not be working. While on a vacation in Reno to renew their wedding vows, the foursome's relationship comes to a head when Roy's non-existent sperm count is confirmed the same day as his wife's pregnancy and everyone notices Lonnie Earl's shifty eyes upon hearing the news. While amusing and likable, the movie isn't quite as good as it could have been... and it often seems to be setting up future situations (like a suddenly-ignored attraction between Roy and Darlene) that never come to fruition. (I was expecting much hilarity from a scene of Lonnie Earl's attempt at eating a 72 ounce steak in one hour... but the scene winds up being mostly uneventful.) The actors do a great job though... particularly Thornton, whose skill at blurting out totally insensitive and inappropriate lines is unsurpassed, i.e. "She's on her deal, y'know?" And I will take any excuse to see the lovely Mrs. Liam Neeson (Natasha Richardson) on screen!

Waking Up After the First Half

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
27 April 2008

Because the first half is worth sleeping through as the fun is in the second half. Trust me, you won't miss anything of the story if you catch it from the second half but make sure to catch Penelope Cruz's sizzling but hilarious cameo first with Billy Bob and then with Patrick. The story is nothing new, nor interesting and has been done x times. The characters are irritating particularly those played by Thornton, Theron and Swayze. However, Natasha Richardson's Darlene is very likable. Performance wise, all the actors fit the bill especially Natasha Richardson (who remarkably pulls off the Southern accent)and Charlize Theron (in the later scenes). The lads, Billy Bob Thornton and Patrick Swayze are alright. The ending was somewhat awkward but a happy one nonetheless. The 'catfight' scene in the lift was hilarious and there's a wonderful moment of acting by Richardson when she's in the lounge after her tiff with her husband when she finds out that he cheated on her. One might feel hateful towards Theron's character when she advises Darlene and supports her like a friend when she had shagged her husband but in the latter half one feels sympathy for her as Theron displays Candy's remorse quite well. The soundtrack is quite fun and of the foot-tapping sort. Overall, this is an okay movie to watch after you've had a very tiring day and just want to relax and watch something that won't use up your energy too much.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]