IMDb > The Family Man (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Just what I needed, When I needed it

Author: David Cole from United States
24 November 2006

I never thought that a movie would change my life. I never dreamed that a message could come through so loud and clear, as this movie's message. On the corporate treadmill, I was running faster and faster and creating a really chaotic life for my family. I nearly lost them, the family; to a corporation that did not love me, care for me, or nurture me. I got off of the treadmill, and took a less demanding job. I sleep in my own bed at nights with the woman I love. The frequent flier miles and first class upgrades, and huge bonuses are all gone but not missed. I named the llc company that holds our real estate investments ICHUZUS (I Choose Us) from the movie quote. I can't help but think that this flick has positively affected many people's lives. Many thanks to the writers and those that brought it to life. Take care, I chose us.

Worth watching more than once

Author: Tom Long from North Carolina
3 October 2003

"The unexamined life is not worth living." Plato put these words in the mouth of Socrates. Brett Ratner puts this theme into `The Family Man.' This is not "It's a Wonderful Life." While it is a "feel good movie," it is an intelligent, reflective one. Neither of the parallel lives led by the main character is shown to be flawless. Both have their attractions. Jack, the lead character, is forced from his comfort zone by a "glimpse" of a life connected by commitment and love to friends and family. This movie does something for me few "feel good" movies ever come close to causing. This movie makes me think about what I really value in life. Both pro-capitalist and pro-family, "The Family Man" either leaves you pondering whether your life is consistent with your values or goes over your head and leaves you with the impression that your emotions have been manipulated by another crass commercial Christmas movie. It depends on what the viewer brings to the table.

P.S. Tea Leoni's shower scene has got to be the sexiest portrayal of a movie mom I ever saw.

One of my all-time favorites!! (Don't read this if you haven't seen it)

Author: thisizaustin from United States
24 April 2004

I absolutely love this movie!! Of course I already liked Cage so it wasn't hard. I think he did a wonderful job of looking confused as all get out when he woke up in the house, and an even better job of looking horrified at his "new" life. He made you really believe that he went from every man's dream of a perfect life to suburban middle class hell, lol! But he also did a wonderful job of transitioning from resentful to begrudgingly intrigued to acceptance. I think Tea Leoni and Jeremy Piven were superb in this as well. It was sweet, romantic, and funny. All very important in a romantic comedy. Setting it at Christmas time added to the feel. Anyone who has kids can identify with the moral of the story.

I liked this movie, a lot

Author: OriginalMovieBuff21 from United States
26 September 2004

The Family Man is very heartwarming and funny movie brought by Nicolas Cage's great performance as a wealthy business man who has a great job but suddenly things turn around when he wakes up the next morning. I really did like this movie. The acting was terrific especially by Nicolas Cage's performance. The movie was funny. Nicolas Cage was really hilarious in this movie and Tea Leoni had some funny lines along with Jeremy Piven. I don't know why this movie got 2 and a half stars and got a 6.5 rating. I thought this movie was terrific. I didn't see really any flaws in it. I don't understand but any way I highly recommend this movie if your wanting a laugh.

Hedeen's outlook: 9/10 ***+ A-

Worth A Look!

Author: firehawk-ws6 from Raleigh, North Carolina
10 November 2004

Without going into too much of the main storyline (you can read the reviews for that) I'll say that this movie is a very touching look at "what might have been." While I'm not a Cage fan, I'll give kudos to him, in that he portrayed his confused character masterfully. His struggles from realizing that he has left his high-octane business/playboy life for a simple family life are fun to watch.

And Tea Leoni....woohoo!

Nice holiday movie. Probably not one for the younger kids, due to some content (Tea's shower scene is STUNNING!) and innuendo, but definitely one you can be entertained by. 7 out of 10 stars.

Tea Leoni & Nicolas Cage were a Great Team !

Author: whpratt1 from United States
1 December 2003

Have always been a great admirer of Tea Leoni,(Kate Reynolds),"The Naked Truth",'95 TV Series(Nora Wilde), she had a great TV series and was very funny and sexy. However, in this film she was able to show her great acting talents and also her natural beauty seemed to explode in this picture. Nicolas Cage (Jack Campbell),"Snake Eyes",'88 gave an excellent performance as a Wall Street Giant and a simple down to earth Tire Salesman. A great family picture which had a great moral lesson LOVE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN M O N E Y ! and living a simple normal life has its greater rewards, like children and family. There two actors were fantastic together !

More Important than Money?

Author: cpkoeneman from Southern Illinois
29 July 2004

The film opens in 1987, with Jack Campbell, played by Nicolas Cage, preparing to board his plane for an internship at a London bank. As Campbell and his college girlfriend Kate (Tea Leoni) say farewell, Kate begs him to stay, but Jack gets on his plane anyway. Their relationship ends while he is in London and Jack goes on to become the President of a large Wall Street company. While walking home from work on Christmas Eve thirteen years later, Campbell has an encounter with an angel, who gives him a "glimpse." This "glimpse" shows Jack what his life would be like if he and Kate were still together, and, in the end, Jack must choose between his life of riches and loneliness, or a life filled with family and love.

The central idea of the film is to show that a person who is rich in material objects often lacks more important things. It says that these things include being surrounded by people who care about you and having someone to love. Before Campbell's "glimpse," his only motivation is money and most of the movie is filmed at his office, showing he does not have much of a life outside of it. Without a second thought, he calls an emergency meeting with his staff at noon on Christmas, causing them to leave their families and come in to the office. The movie successfully shows the struggle between money and family because this is a theme to which the audience can relate.

The director is able to keep the audience's attention throughout the movie through the use of humor. Lassiter (Josef Sommer), the owner of the company, when asked why he is still at the office on Christmas Eve replies "because I'm a heartless bastard who only cares about money." In doing this, the director, while still concentrating on the theme of the movie, keeps the viewer watching. In doing these things and more, the director creates a film that is not only entertaining to watch, but also one that carries a message about life and happiness.

It's A Wonderful Life in 2000

Author: Brian W from NE, USA
16 November 2004

I found this movie to be a very nice remix of "It's a Wonderful Life", much like "You've got Mail" is a remix of "Pride and Prejudice" (and totally hints at this within the film). A classic film to make you reexamine your own life, and think about what is really important and meaningful for you, what is success and happiness? Young dreamers in love with their successful careers instead of each other, find out that maybe their love really was meant to be. This is what Nicholas Cage finds out, and when he wakes up from the dream of what 'could have been', he rushes to stop 'loosing her' again, and hopefully still live the happily ever after dream. Nicholas Cage provides a stunning and comical performance in character, from the aggressive businessman - big business and small business - to a loving father and husband with his charming sense of humor. Quite a romantic film to watch with that 'someone special' during the holidays.

Loved it.

Author: seshy (seshy@onetel.com) from United Kingdom
30 July 2007

This is a heart-warming, if somewhat sentimental film at times, but with a superb cast, and very well written. The chemistry between Cage and Leoni is something quite rare - in fact, I can't think of a film with such amazing chemistry between the two leads.

As far as the storyline is concerned, I don't have too much to add to the comments that are already posted. Whatever limitations the film's storyline or premise has, the individual performances rise above it.

In the DVD extras there is an interesting comment by the producer where he says he challenges any man to watch the film and not want to live with Tea Leoni and I must say I wholeheartedly agree with him. To be fair her character is completely idealised (naturally beautiful but unaffected by it, intelligent, insightful, sexy, gracious, humble, caring, unstoppably positive and non-demanding). Have you ever met anyone like this in real life?

I enjoyed this film so much that it just about creeps into my all time top ten. The only reason a romantic comedy made it in there is because the performances and the chemistry elevate the film above any other romantic comedy I have seen, both before and since.

Touching Romantic comedy

Author: mjw2305 from England
2 January 2007

Nicholas Cage and Tea Leoni steal the show in this very pleasant movie. Jack Campbell (Cage) is a Wall Street investment banker at the top of his profession, that is until one Christmas eve, when he stumbles into the middle of a grocery store hold up. The next day he wakes up married to his college sweetheart Kate Reynolds (Leoni) and he has children. When he finds his old life no longer exists he has to adjust his lifestyle to fit in with his family.

With slight comparisons to Sliding Doors in the way the story works and the concept of life altering decisions 'Family Man' is very entertaining, charming and heart warming, not to mention subtly amusing throughout. Cage and Leoni are a great on-screen couple and the story is definitely intriguing enough to make for compulsive viewing.

7/10 Not as good as Sliding Doors, but its definitely worthy of your attention.

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]