IMDb > Buying the Cow (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Buying the Cow

Buying the Cow More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A little diamond in the rough

Author: fredoxv from United States
24 June 2005

Hidden in the midst of straight-to-video releases, this film is a head and shoulders above the rest, and it boggles my mind that it did not achieve theatrical release.

While the subject matter is somewhat unoriginal (Games a man must play to land a "perfect woman" and the pros & cons of commitment/marriage), the film has a magnificent script that gives these themes a freshness not seen since Swingers.

Perhaps the film's strongest suit is the cast. Reynolds, Bellamy, O'Connell, and Livingston work great together, and never once does the witty dialog seem forced or unbelievable. The interaction seems realistic, and most importantly, personal (from the male standpoint, anyway). The film is smart and thoughtful, giving a variety of perspectives on the subject matter.

The only beef I have with this film (no pun intended) is that the ending is a bit abrupt (I won't give anything away, but you'll see what I mean). I felt a little more elaboration might have tied things up a bit better. However, don't let this deter you, Buying the Cow is a must-see.

Much better than the usual.

Author: RichardU from Atlanta
4 January 2003

What is wrong with Hollywood? They pump up virtually unwatchable action flicks and bury real gems like Buying the Cow. This movie was intelligent, original, insightful (to a point) and funny. I feel sorry for everyone involved in this production -- because some distributor someone dropped the ball. If you liked Office Space, The Castle, Happy Texas, or Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, watch this movie.

Stumbled Upon a Gem

Author: sssimpson111999 from United States
22 May 2006

4 years after the movie was made, I stumbled upon a gem. I was sucked in 15 minutes after it started and couldn't leave my couch even to hardly run to the bathroom. It was that great. A true representation of relationships, what guys and girls are looking for and a true replica of the men I have dated in the past. It made me wonder why I was asking the guy I have been with for 4 years for a commitment. I like to think I walked away from this film with a few more laughs and some good insight on what it is guys want or think they want! The cast was inspiring and a fun look at where some of them were just 4 years ago and how far they have come. I wish there was some more movies that made me laugh and think out loud.

Fine Holiday Fun

Author: grizzt189 from HSO
10 January 2003

I originally caught "Buying the Cow" on Starz, and I found it to be funny and enjoyable. Don't expect to garner any answers to life's questions, but what do you expect from a "straight-to-video" movie. I laughed-out-loud at alot of the jokes in this movie, and definately would suggest this movie to my friends.

I think the saving grace for this movie, is the fact that both guys and girls can find humor in the situations and commentary that you see in this film. If your girlfriend drags you to the video store, and insists that you rent a romantic comedy, you can't go wrong with "Buying the Cow" (more emphasis on the comedy than on the romance... but she won't know that)

(SPOILERS!!!)

Perhaps the funniest scenes deal w/ Mike Hanson (Ryan Reynolds) as he deals w/ his newly-discovered homosexual tendancies. I had to cringe (in a good way) when he almost gets shot as a would-be pedophile.

Not bad little movie

Author: LivingDog from NYC, NY
1 November 2007

Ryan Reynolds (who plays Mike Hanson) should be getting more major rolls; as should Ron Livingston (who plays Tyler Carter Bellows). It seems that no one notices the massive amounts of talent these two dudes have... if only I had the money. Of the women in this movie only Alyssa Milano (Amy) stands out as portraying anything other than a stick figure. She was warm approachable, loving, and real. The rest struck me as mannequins.

The script was OK but struck me as thin - much like "Wild Hogs" - Walt Becker's other major effort. Given time I can see him pwning (it's a gamer's spelling) Hollywood.

Another reviewer called this a great date movie... that's the last thing I would want to see with someone I was trying to get to know. It's all about marriage - too soon for a date movie. Nonetheless, if you want a light romp through relationship land then this is pretty darn light reading. 7/10.

-LD

______________________________________________

my bread: http://www.joesbread.com/

my faith: http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

A sleeper comedy that is just brilliantly written

Author: liquidphotography from United States
9 April 2006

I think it was the obvious title choice that didn't make this film a block buster. Word of mouth can only go so far. It is a romantic comedy that all ages can relate to. By no means is this a "chick flick" movie though. The movie has a great cast from Ryan Reynolds (Waiting) to Alyssa Milano (Charmed). The movie characters all play significant roles that tie into the theme- "Why would you want to Buy the Cow when you can get the milk for free?" It's a hilarious adventure of a film about dating and the ultimate search for your "soul mate" or the "one". It is the perfect date movie. I found it to be more than hilarious, with actor/comedian Ryan Reynolds stealing the show.

For all the Ryan Reynolds fans out there this is hands down the funniest performance of his career. This feel good movie will appeal to all, especially to those romantic single gals and guy's out there. This movie will leave you feeling high on life with a refreshing feeling of hope.

This is a definite must see! Excellent!

Funny...

Author: Z. Unger from Atlanta, GA
8 June 2002

For some strange reason I was flipping through channels and came across this move on Starz. I have to say that I enjoyed it and that there were any major lame scenes and allot of really enjoyable parts. The acting was alright and all of the cast did a fine job. If you are in a mood for hour and a half of an enjoyable romantic comedy this is the movie for ya!

Don't sleep on this one comedy fans

Author: mister_knobbs from Poland
27 July 2007

Great comedy here, good laughs. That's all that was supposed to be here in the first place, right? Kept me laughing the whole way - the Ryan Reynolds Jerry O'Connell tandem rock solid. If you liked this, and you should for what it was (Ebert could lighten up but then again he probably can't be PC and give this movie anything more than zero stars), check out Tomcats - similarly funny and original. The Ryan Reynolds naked seen all too familiar and funny like a similar fate that met O'Donnell in "Tomcats" with a little kid thinking he's a perv, providing equal laughs. Alyssa Milano is a great addition here too, overall very solid goofy movie that had some original lines and laughs and great physical comedy. what's not to like, unless you are overly stiff

Almost a good movie

Author: Ed-108 from Ferndale, MI
8 June 2002

This started off as a pretty intelligent and funny movie. It actually had some insightful things to say about romance, relationships and the reality of them versus our fantasies. Then it veered off into a stupid farce and never really recovered. I'd still recommend it if you want to watch something light for 90 minutes. The cast is game, and very likeable. And any movie that opens with Andy Williams covering The Partridge Family's "I Think I Love You" certainly has its heart in the right place.

A blind man can smell the greatness of this movie!

Author: toddkrem from United States
25 December 2007

This movie is my favorite. It has so many truths and is hilarious. I recommend to any guy. It helps explain relationships. It also faces everyday problems with dating and finding the one. A must see for anyone between the ages of 20 - 40. Has some great characters kind of like Tomcats. The guy from Office Space, and others. If you like comedies you will love this movie. THere are a lot of one liners too that are very funny. Ryan Renolds is great too. I like how they explain dating problems and finding "the one". THe movie flows very well especially when Ryan thinks he is gay!lol and the flashbacks at the airport.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]