IMDb > An Everlasting Piece (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

An Everlasting Piece More at IMDbPro »

A very clever satire

Author: jpwat from Melbourne, Australia
14 November 2001

I have to disagree with some of the other comments on this film. In my opinion it is one of the cleverest satires that I have seen but you have to concentrate on it and not expect it to be obviously realistic. It is very well written, acted and directed with an extremely clever ending. Reminiscent of the ability of Noel Coward or Oscar Wilde to depict human frailty in a comical light (but missing the blistering dialogue of the latter). The word "wry" comes to mind and its only faults are some slowness in building up to the ending and, while most of the characters are deliberately portrayed as rather childish and naive, some are a little overdone. In particular, Colm's definition of when an action is "a gesture" is absolutely superb satire. This film is wit, not comedy in the rather obvious sense which so often prevails these days. I would give it a "much better than average" rating for a discerning viewer who wants something better than what is mostly on offer.

Great!

Author: Tully-9
24 February 2004

This film was great for exactly what it was: a comedic drama with honest political/cultural commentary.

Set during the 1980's in the British-controlled portion of Ireland, "An Everlasting Piece" is about a Catholic and a Protestant barber who set off to win a monopoly as hair-piece salesman in the north of Ireland.

The style of comedy was what I would call "very British-like". It had that dry and witty sense of humor that is so terrific if you appreciate that sort of thing (just for the record, I'm usually a fan).

As far as the cultural/political commentary goes, an earlier post pointed out that George's family is non-existent in this movie, and that the story revolves around an almost entirely Catholic cast. My response is that to include the Protestant side of the story would have been impossible. To include the loyalist populace (and thus the loyalist paramilitaries, since there would have to be a balancing cinematic force countering the story of the IRA) would have required probably another 3 hours. I think this movie is really about the Catholic-Catholic confrontation. You've an IRA man who says "I want more than to just survive," in an era of unequal rights and opportunities for Irish Catholics, just as it was for the African Americans 2 decades before the film takes place. Then you have a Catholic who believes in "the cause" (ideologically speaking), yet has a Protestant friend who is obviously not concerned with politics or consumed with partisan hatred. The political/cultural issue here is the fact that the ideal the IRA was fighting for in the '80's (at the time, equal rights through union with the Irish Republic)) was legitimate in many respects- yet at what expense?

In the end the "film" is a movie- it is heart-warming entertainment that gives the viewer a general sense of one of the overall issues facing Ireland in the '80's, and it gives a lot of chuckles. It'll make you laugh, feel, and even make you think- so it's worth at least the rental price.

A movie about more than friendship

Author: horseradishfarm from United States
25 December 2004

Everyone I've told about this movie loves it. It says a lot about friendship, love (parental, fraternal, egocentric, altruistic) and about a country bifurcated by war and misunderstanding. As usual, with movies made in Ireland and Britain, the humor is broad and subtle at the same time and even the very minor characters are fully drawn. If ever there was a time for this film it's now. With surreal humor (although what is surreal these days?) it explores the meaning of hate, love, war and forgiveness. It is a movie about common lives that are circumscribed by conflict and about the way people cope with impossible and untenable situations: with the way, in short, that they survive. And it's funny! Billy Connelly as "Scalper" is, as usual, over the top in the best sense.

A nice comic angle on the Troubles

Author: coldfuzz from San Diego, CA
14 July 2002

An Everlasting Piece is definitely one of the better Irish comedies I've seen in a long time. Though not on par with the Barrytown Trilogy or Divorcing Jack, the three leading characters are witty and strong. I'm very partial to Brian F. O'Byrne's thoughtful, subdued yet humorous portrayal of Protestant George Post. His best line is arguably, "He's as Orange as that chair." The film features many funny and poignant moments that make the film enjoyable to anyone who appreciates Ireland and its people.

Heavy and light, amusing, frightening and dark

Author: Christopher Moore (cmoore23@ford.com) from Melbourne, Australia
29 June 2004

This is a strange film. It can be very amusing, but also very frightening. You don't have to take sides in the conflict in Ireland to appreciate that the people there have been living on the edge for some time.

If you want Cheech or Chong then stay away. But if you want to feel uncomfortable, have a laugh, and perhaps feel just a little bit of empathy for your fellow human beings then this is a great film.

Personally, I could do with less F*ing language, but it is important to consider the characters involved. In real life they just don't go around saying 'golly gosh' and 'darn'.

Billy Connolly is a perfect choice for his role, and is an integral part of the film. A mad scotsman? Why? Because only the Irish have the strengh of character and mind to stay sane under the condition in which they have had to live. And even then .....

Don't watch this film for the laughs. Don't watch it for the actors. Don't even watch it for the sake of Billy Connolly. Watch it to see that spark of humanity that we sometimes refer to as the soul.

excellent comedy

Author: rabbott-2 from Pennsylvania, USA
9 July 2002

A very funny comedy set in Belfast. It's always an challenge to find humor in very serious situations but writer and star does a fine job in combining the two. The plot is clever with a number of nice twists. The acting is good all around. I feel the movie is quite well done and worth seeing - it's one I'd recommend to friends.

Wow! Class film says I.

Author: hollyandcat from Antarctica
18 August 2005

This film is a class film about life in N Ireland. Yes, if you are unfamiliar with N Ireland you may struggle with the stuff about "The Troubles" and the Catholic/Protestant divide as well as the odd word like cat, meaning terrible. Also, but not used in the film is cat melodium meaning catastrophic. Therefor the situation was bad but not that bad. The mad toupee seller played by Billy Connoley is brought to a mental institute having scalped 4 customers. Two hairdressers working there decide to take over his monopoly over all Northern Ireland. However they must sell the most wigs to get the monopoly because another company is in competition with them and is better organised and well established. Thus the film is about their trials, tribulations and trouble with the law as they attempt to sell wigs to anyone and every one including the IRA. Funny, well written and full of life this film made me laugh and smile, as I come from Northern Ireland myself. I liked the double personalities of some characters e.g the milkman during the day IRA member in his spare time. I guess thats what it's like for some people in NI. I like the detail about where the hair for the wigs came from. The Protestants would not like to wear the nun's hair because nuns are Catholic, I think. I noticed also how the two characters had to avoid or got worried when they confessed one was a Catholic and one a Protestant.

An engaging character study set against the Irish conflict of the 1980's

Author: Ed Bank (edbank@yahoo.com) from Grafton, VT
29 August 2003

Barry Levinson hits the nail on the head (or rather the hair on the head) with "An Everlasting Piece", the story of an odd relationship that grows out of the toupee business.

The film is amusing throughout and while some might consider the storyline contrived, the characters exhibit both depth and morals as the relationship between the toupee business partners grows.

It was particularly enlightening to see a film set against the Irish conflict in Belfast during the 1980's and to get a better understanding of what might have been like in that time and place.

Highly recommended for what it is; light entertainment with underlying social commentary.

If you miss the point you won't enjoy the movie

Author: Jim Ruddy (ruddy_jim) from Canada
1 December 2003

An Everlasting Piece is a funny, witty and at times dark movie based on the escapades of a Protestant and Catholic barber who team up to take over the toupee market of Northern Ireland. If you look for deeper meaning in this movie you will find important moral lessons and some insight into the nature of conflict in general. There are dozens of quotable lines present, Billy Connolly has some real gems.

Having never been to Northern Ireland, I believe this movie has given me some limited insight into 1980's Belfast. Most of the main characters are Catholic-Irish, and the film does seem slightly sympathetic to that side. If you are looking for more information on the atmosphere and troubles in N. Ireland I recommend reading Bad Blood, by Colm Toibin.

The plot is fine 6/10 The humour is great 9/10 The dramatic element is good 7/10 Overall I'd give 7.5/10

There Should Be More Movies Like This

Author: Stacy from United States
11 September 2009

This is one of the best films I have ever seen. It never gets old. Very intelligent comedy and a meaningful plot. Its one of my most favorite films. Its a rare film. Rare as in- you don't find 'em like this very often. You hear the phrase "feel good movie" sometimes and that can sound a bit cheesy. But this truly is a feel good movie. Barry McEvoy's writing is awesome. Brilliant acting all around. Billy Connolly has a role in this as well and as always- he's the icing on the cake.

Doesn't matter how you feel about the 'situations' in Ireland. Doesn't matter who's side you're on- and a lot of people take sides- its about sticking by your friends no matter what. Highly recommended. 10 stars!