IMDb > Ready to Rumble (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ready to Rumble

Ready to Rumble More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Not a memorable movie, but at the time its lots of fun!

Author: moviearistocrat5000 (moviearistocrat5000@hotmail.com) from New Zealand
15 September 2001

READY TO RUMBLE (2000) Rating: 7/10

First of all, I'll just say I'm glad I didn't see this at the movies. When I go to the movies I generally only go by myself or with one other friend, but Ready to Rumble is much more enjoyable when you have 5 or 6 other friends and you're watching it at a party. In that environment, I really got into this flick. Anyhow, I thought this movie had a lot of qualities and a few bad points that put it down. I loved the wrestling scenes, the comedy was extremely strong, the performances were good, the sound was loud and booming and the editing was flawless. For the bad side, I didn't really like the ending. Yes, I did enjoy the `get to the top of the cage' and you win idea, but the characters don't really resolve themselves properly. Whatever happened to Rose McGowan's character? And just after he wins a match, Oliver Platt suddenly demands that Scott Caan and David Arquette be his assistant people. Then we see a couple of shots of the supporting characters and out we go. That's the end. Not a very good ending. However, there are a lot of good points that bring the movie above the rather empty ending. I enjoyed Scott Caan's performance and David Arquette wasn't as annoying as I thought he would be. Oliver Platt is also quite funny as Jimmy King, but Martin Landau's extended cameo rules this movie. He's a funny dude! In conclusion of this review, I'll just say don't expect another Rocky or a wrestling version that is just as good as American Beauty because you're not going to get it. But all viewers who enjoy a bit of a kick in the groin on film, gut-wrenching fight scenes, a ton of silly comedy and heaps of big hooters, come right in, because this is one fun comedy I'm sure you'll enjoy if you don't take it too seriously.

Good laugh

Author: RunningD from United States
8 January 2007

We first saw this movie a long time ago and it has several laugh out loud moments. We then rented it again for a couple of our nephews, a few years ago, who really enjoyed it. They were at the time wrestling fans who knew wrestling was mostly fake.

Last weekend we borrowed it from a friend to watch with those same nephews from a few years ago, and we laughed all the way through it again. The boys no longer watch wrestling, said they are catching new jokes in it this time around.

The acting is over the top, and bigger than life but so is wrestling! It is a great movie if you want to escape and laugh for an hour and a half.

Entertaining, fun film

Author: Michael Payne (payneme@go.com) from Tallahassee, FL
13 April 2000

This was light and enjoyable film of two affable wrestling fans who want to reinstate a recently fallen hero to the top of the WCW world. I have seen funnier films, but this was not a disappointment by any means. Fans of wrestling should really enjoy it, non fans (like myself, although I think I might be becoming one) should still like it. Arquette, Caan, and Platt make a nice trio, and Martin Landau is hilarious as an old-school wrestling guru.

Just plain fun

Author: Eric Feigenbaum from United States
28 December 2001

I think the people who criticized this movie missed the entire point of it. Ready To Rumble isn't supposed to be a "good" movie; it is just supposed to be a "fun" one. I don't think the folks who put this film together had any illusions about it winning any Oscars but I think they made a very good "dumb" movie. I am NOT a wrestling fan and I still enjoy watching it because I can enjoy it for what it is without expecting more out of it. I watched it last night with my 10 yo son and he thought it was great. Those who found fault with the movie need to take themselves and their entertainment less seriously.

What could have been a disposable b-movie is salvaged by the fine acting of an ensemble cast.

Author: b_buddy1
6 February 2010

Ready to Rumble doesn't much going for it at a glance. Gordie (David Arquette) and Sean (Scott Caan) are two adolescent boys trapped in the bodies of twenty-something sewage workers from Lusk, Oklahoma. The WCW is their passion and as true die hards, they brook no criticism of the sport's veracity. Their nights are spent in a convenience store parking lot jawing with junior high school students. These men are losers through and through. And yet there is something innately likable about these boy-men. They are losers in the sense that Rocky Balboa was a loser; they were born with nothing into the middle of nowhere, blessed with naught but dogged determination and unwavering faith in their cause. Ready to Rumble follows their quest to restore an even bigger loser to his former glory. That loser is disgraced professional wrestler Jimmy "The King" King (a terrific Oliver Platt). King is a hero and role model to the boys from Lusk, who know him only from his television persona. In reality, King is an alcoholic who spends his days in drag, hiding from child support collectors in a secluded trailer. He has been exiled to Palookaville by corrupt wrestling promoter Titus Sinclair (the always unctuous Joe Pantoliano).

The story is told kayfabe; that is to say, the filmmakers would have us believe that wrestling is a real sport and these athletes are really beating one another to a pulp in the ring, night after night. So when a gang of professional wrestlers dive off of the four corners of the ring to deliver a four man head butt to the fallen King, we are expected to cringe at the brutality. When King is unjustly stripped of the title, we are expected to feel outrage on his behalf. And when the boys travel cross country on a search for their hero, we are expected to feel excitement at the prospect of King's triumphant return. Personally, I had no such experiences as a viewer, yet something about this very simple film moved me. At its core, Ready to Rumble is the story of an emperor disrobed. Oliver Platt gives a commendable performance as King, a boorish oaf still capable of feeling shame. This man is no Bret Hart, no Hulk Hogan; no "Stone Cold" Steve Austin he. King fights dirty, drinks heavily, and mistreats his only supporters constantly. That by the end of the film I came to care about this man and his struggle is a true credit to Oliver Platt, one of Hollywood's finest unsung actors. Above all what touched me about Ready to Rumble was the faith of the two boys in their hero. Initially it was so undeserved it occasionally strained credulity; other times it was merely heartbreaking. But if there is one thing a viewer ought to take from Ready to Rumble, it is the testament borne to the transformational power of faith. By the end of the film, King has paid the cost of redemption and becomes the hero the boys always perceived him to be. The film's message is the following: as we believe, so shall it be.

As a self important film snob, I would be remiss if I didn't note duly the many things in Ready to Rumble I could have done without. This film is supposed to be a comedy, but its humor mostly comes in the form of juvenile absurdity. Perhaps Adam Sandler fans will enjoy the adolescent mischief, but I mostly found it a distraction from what could have been a compelling drama in the hands of a more capable director. In a forced subplot, Gordie's overbearing father, the town sheriff, is hell-bent on getting Gordie to follow in his footsteps. He'd rather see his son find a steady career in law enforcement than spend the rest of his life a wrestling obsessed sewage handler. This man is introduced as an antagonist, but bluntly, I found his position very sympathetic. Who could blame him for attempting to intrude on his adult son's adolescent fantasy? Moreover, Rose McGowan plays a conniving, unlikable tart that Gordie becomes quite stricken with. Her character really doesn't have much of a reason for existing other than to cram an attractive actress into a Nitro-girls outfit. And of course the ending is all too pat, as it must be in a film that takes place in the WCW universe.

For all of its faults, I was surprised to find myself enjoying Ready to Rumble. I came to care deeply about its well meaning protagonists and their fallen hero. Arquette, Caan, Pantoliano, and especially Platt all show their stripes as actors, turning what could have been a farce into a compelling journey of redemption. I can't quite give the film a recommendation, but it's underdog story and rock solid performances struck a chord with me.

GREAT MOVIE!!!

Author: Rainman-13 (the_nitro_elf@yahoo.com) from Toronto
8 April 2000

I am a wrestling fan, but when I first saw the trailer to this movie it looked cheesy and I was SO disappointed. Let me assure you the trailers do this movie no justice...it was absolutely GUT-BUSTING!! I've never laughed so hard at a movie in theater before, there were also many people there enjoying the movie who obviously were not wrestling fans. For true fans though the movie is even more funny because of all the inside jabs at the business. Noticeably "Sinclair" as some kind of weird Vince McMahon/ Eric Bischoff mix, Sal bears remarkable resemblance to the great Stu Hart and his wrestling school, and many more. The "main event" was incredibly exciting, the best wrestling match any fan will ever see. This film is must see for fans and non-fans alike. 9 out of 10.

Very Funny

Author: Spawn Devil from Vancouver, B.C.
30 June 2002

Even though I'm not a very big WCW fan, I still thought it had some very funny parts. The movie itself of course was a bit lame, but I guess it was made for laughs. I'm surprised they made this movie about WCW and not WWF? I mean WWF is a lot more popular than WCW. I though it would have been way better if it was based on WWF and not WCW. But everything else of the movie was decent. I'm a huge wrestling fan and I love wrestling. So whatever movie is based on wrestling, I Like! This movie deserves a B+

Good movie if it would stick to wrestling

Author: RealLiveClaude from Montreal, Canada
15 April 2012

Sad this movie did kill WCW forever, this wrestling federation went down even further if it would have stick to its wrestling only (the "King" storyline with DDP and the evil manager Sinclair), but instead, went into too much vulgarity such as raw sewage and toilet bowl humour, which was not necessary at all. I would have went another direction rather than putting too much of feces jokes.

Martin Landau is great as a former wrestler turned teacher. And the wrestling storyline is just like what we see on TV.

Bottom line: should have stick to wrestling only, as it is the only entertaining portion here...

Very funny, guilty pleasure...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
1 October 2002

1st watched 10/1/2002 - 6 out of 10(Dir-Brian Robbins): Very funny, guilty pleasure for me. This movie surprised me with it's wit and tremendous cast of supporting characters as well as the good job done by the leads. And yes, it's a movie about wrestling. I actually believed the silliness of the characters and their obsession towards their idol the wrestler, Jimmy the King(played wonderfully by Oliver Platt). Another great character actor, Martin Balsam, was great as an old-time wrestling trainer. There are many funny bits as well as a genuine attempt to add heart to these lower-than-life silly characters. This movie worked for me probably because it's focus was not on low-brow humor but rather funny situations that the characters got themselves in. Good job to all!!

Actually kinda funny, but not in a "Ha ha" way

Author: gordknowles from Ottawa, Canada
1 February 2002

Although if you know quite a bit about wrestling, you will find this movie to be one of the most trashy and horrid pieces ever (why Oliver Platt? Get a wrestler for God's sake to wrestle!), but for being a piece used mainly to showcase WCW stars, it wasn't too bad, it let you see that some of the guys actually have some of that stuff called talent. Plus, it made for some of the lowest moments in WCW history when they strapped the gold around Mr. Arquette's waist (resume now includes: Scream bitch/1-800 idiot/WCW world champion), so anytime I can see the makings of what would turn out to be a big step in the demise of WCW is a good thing for me.

All in all, not bad, good for a few laughs, while the ending kinda sucked, not an overly bad film, unlike Mr. Nanny, remember that? And now that the movie "Backyard Dogs: The Movie" is out, it won't have to worry about being the worst wrestling film ever made!

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]