IMDb > Chasing Holden (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Chasing Holden More at IMDbPro »

Avoid

Author: Scott Tenorman from Pittsburgh, PA
18 April 2002

If you could put the word "cliche" into a bottle, shake it up real good, and then empty that bottle onto a reel of film, well then you'd get "Chasing Holden."

It's about one "troubled young man"'s attempt to track down J.D. Salinger, thinking that he has some kind of cosmic connection with Holden Caulfield. You know that cringing feeling you get when you hear an Iggy Pop or Stones tune in a car commercial, knowing that it was bought and paid for 40 years after it was written and is completely out of context and an insult to everything you believe in? Well *BAM* there's 'Chasing Holden' for you.

And Kevin Smith fans, don't be fooled! This movie has nothing to do with 'Chasing Amy.' Instead of seeing this movie, instead I suggest you watch Chasing Amy again, maybe this time focusing only on every fourth word that is said. You will have a lot more fun than watching this flaming piece of crap!

Both Boring AND Sanctimonious!

Author: sleestaker from Mississippi
23 September 2004

If I had a dime for every adolescent who thinks of his/her reading of The Catcher in the Rye as the cathartic experience that gave him/her a true sense of introspection, I could buy every existing copy of this movie and burn the batch in a nice bonfire. This movie smacks of the pseudo-intelligent ramblings of a third year English major who is convinced that the angst he feels is unique.

Movies like this have been done to death. From the brilliant, misunderstood youth to the rich and powerful unfeeling parent to the smart and tough, yet sensitive and understanding authority figure, this movie is a mishmash of clichéd characters and tired plot lines. Even the northeastern prep school where the boys all wear blazers with crests and the girls all wear plaid skirts and kneesocks is hackneyed. It's all old news.

The worst part about this film is the overwhelming superciliousness that permeates the production. It's as if the writer and director have discovered this obscure, brilliant manuscript that has so affected them, and they feel the need to enlighten the world. Even the title comes across with a kind of smug exclusivity, as if to say, "only the truly illuminated, those who know the name Holden Caulfield, will understand and appreciate what we are conveying here!"

This film is neither intelligent nor edgy nor insightful. It's got a fanboy quality - a sycophantic tone - so much so that it almost seems the people behind it are trying to do something more than tell a story...like make a "serious" film about youthful angst that indie film geeks will coo over in the local alternative newspaper. Guys, you can have it.

Highly under-rated movie!!

Author: mark-1987 from Australia
22 December 2006

This film is a compelling and emotional journey. After reading some of the exceptionally bad reviews I almost didn't watch it but I'm glad I did. The characters are very real, the story is touching, and there was never a moment of boredom. This is a classic movie, and although not a movie I would deem to be sensational, it is very much still worth watching. I have never read Catcher In The Rye but this movie has inspired me to do so. The only problems that I could perceive with this film were that it occasionally has disjointed editing (continuity is slightly below par) and in a few instances the dialogue was underdeveloped but anybody that has given this movie negative criticism overall is probably extremely unintelligent. This movie is certainly worth watching, and anybody that disagrees probably has no heart.

What Were They Thinking?

Author: turtlewax182
6 August 2002

Spoiler This movie might have been halfway decent if every single scene and character weren't so cliched. First off, how many times have we seen the, 'rebellious teen with animosity towards his rich - too busy for his son - father'? Too many if you ask me. As the story proceeds, Neil runs off in search of the author JD Salinger (he feels a 'connection' to his character, Holden Caulfield) with the girl he's sweet on, TJ. They both encounter disastrous situations and in the end he realizes he was really finding himself and now he knows he loves TJ, who is clinically ill and dies in the end.

Whoa, sounds so entertaining and original right? How about... NO? NOTHING about this movie was something I hadn't seen before 101 million times. It seems more like a made for TV movie, and it SHOULD have been. They could have kept that money they wasted distributing this in their pockets. The acting wasn't THAT bad, and everyone seemed well cast - except the main character. It's difficult to believe that this scrawny little dude could be such a badass troublemaker. I kept thinking of Road Trip and wondered how anyone could cast him as a 'tough guy'... I mean, COME ON, he even LOOKS like a nerd. He tried though.

Anyway, this isn't the worst film I've ever seen, but I felt I just wasted my time with it. Oh well, I suppose it was better than watching paid programs for salad shooter. 3/10

good crazy movie

Author: Christian (cch_deathangel) from Salt Lake City, Utah
24 October 2002

I loved this show, mainly because I relate to the main character, he's a bit nuts, and just the way he goes through this torment and struggle with every day life and how the little tiny things that normally a person wouldn't care about bother him to death. I love how even though it's loosely based on catcher in the rye, that the main character actually does have a ton in common with Holden Caufield and how many things from the book are similar in the movie. I also recommend reading Catcher in the Rye if you even liked the movie at all. I do have to say that the movie was really slow going, but had it's really good moments. I love movies about crazy people like this one, and others like "Falling Down," or "Bringing Out The Dead," They need to make more movies like that.

good movie, well acted true to reality! DO RENT!

Author: hidden_fear from BC, Canada
13 July 2002

This is an interesting movie, it's about a troubled young man whose father is a senator. Neil(played by Dj qualls-the new guy) goes on a journey to meet an author(J.D. Salinger) whom he feels has a strong hold on his life. He bring along for his journey a girl(T.J.) from school who he becomes quite attached to, her only wish in life is to see New York City what she falls in love with then begins to hate which pushes them further onto their journey.. as the movie goes on you find out why Neil is troubled, and that T.J. has an illness. This movie is not a PG rating do to the realisms in life (it hold some sexual content, and not so appropriate language). It IS a good movie, everything falls into place quite well and you truly get a feel for the characters. I liked it. some didn't but I thought it was really well done and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Stalking J.D. should have been more acceptable

Author: Ryan Harder (hotshotharder@hotmail.com) from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
22 October 2002

I just watched Chasing Holden and I kinda figured it would be some cheap show. Yeah it was pretty cheap and a little bit psycho like in a way. We see our main character Neil (DJ Qualls) fresh off a stay at an insane asylum and attending a prep school who is assigned an assigment on Holden Caufield from J.D. Salinger's "Catcher And The Rye". After being assigned the paper, he develops such an obsession with Holden that he wants to hunt down the author. The show completely evolves around Neil's obsession with Holden & J.D. that we really can't seem to figure out anything about T.J except her frustrations with Neil's obsession with Holden. If you're looking for a film to watch, you'd be better off watching Ben Affleck as Holden in Chasing Amy then DJ Qualls' obsession with J.D. 3 out of 10 on my scale!!!

I don't know why I like this movie so much... but I do

Author: Adam_West_as_Batdan from Edinbruhhh
2 February 2016

It's over-dramatic and over-sentimental and has a TV-movie feel to it but... for some reason I like it a bunch still.

I read a couple reviews on here by people saying they thought it was a sequel to 'Chasing Amy' by Kevin Smith with Ben Affleck, seriously?

Why would you think that?

Just for the record it's not, and neither are 'Chasing Liberty' or 'Chasing Papi' or any other movie with chasing in the title.

Anyway back to the movie, it stars DJ Qualls and Rachel Blanchard who previously starred together in 'Road Trip (2000)' but this movie is as far from 'Road Trip' as you can get... (Even though technically there is a road trip in this movie as well, but that's beyond the point.)

The feel of the movie is dark and gloomy and there is a true sense of loneliness and frustration throughout the movie, so yeah don't expect DJ Qualls to make you laugh in this one.

'Chasing Holden' is a reference to the character Holden Caufield from JD Salinger's book 'Catcher In The Rye' which is one of the few books I've actually read (not much of a book-reader) and I think it helps if you have read that book because DJ Qualls character is absolutely obsessed with that book.

It's not a movie that everyone will enjoy, a lot of people will find it too depressing but those that do like it I believe will like it a lot, no promises though, it helps if you like DJ Qualls.

Dullsville

Author: ctomvelu from usa
9 September 2003

A coming of age drama not worth watching. DJ Qualls plays an emotionally troubled youth on the run from his domineering dad, a major public figure who stands to be embarrassed by his son's antics. Sounds better than it plays. Watch FINDING FORRESTER instead.

Amazing

Author: Angela (cookiedough253) from Canberra, Australia
3 May 2003

When I hired this movie I didn't know what to expect. I love DJ Qualls, I think he's so awesome and a terrific actor. Well this movie was wonderful, it's insightful, mysterious and of coarse even a bit shocking. Someone once told me why watch a movie if it isn't going to affect you later? Well this movie leaves a damn good effect. My eyes didn't leave the screen during this movie, it touched and moved me. If you have ever felt alone or like no one is listening then this is the movie for you.