IMDb > Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Maybe the best anime piece ever

Author: scobbah (scobbah@gmail.com) from Örebro, Sweden
26 July 2004

As we saw that Vampire Hunter D was high ranked on IMDb, we decided to give it a shot. Loaded up with some expectations, who comes naturally when a piece is placed good at IMDb, we enjoyed the movie from the very early beginning to the very end. I was astonished! At first, the whole piece is animated in a way that I really find attractive. I mean, not the regular ninja-banzai-anime-style, but instead this beautiful way of animating this alternative reality put up on your tv. I really like ancient stuff like vampires and more goth related stuff when it comes to animes, and this one got it all. With a terrific story the piece develops and bounds the viewer into the magic world of Vampire Hunter D. I just simply love it because of the vibe it gives me! A sober 10 out of 10, no doubts about it.

Perfect!

Author: mGoLos from Lemvig, Denmark
4 April 2004

Can there be a sequel better then the original? Yes there can, and this one proves it. Well worth the purchase even if you have to pay a bundle for shipment like I did.

I'm proud to add this fantastic piece of manga to my expanding collection. I'll put it right next to Mononoke Hime, Akira and Ghost in the Shell. This is a classic already and every manga/anime fan should watch it. All the characters are amazing and original, they could all get their own movie and I hope at least some of them do.

The style of drawing is rough and dark, yet elequent and beautifully detailed. No expense has been spared. D has been buffed up a bit and has more powers than ever.

This movie is exciting to the extreme. 1½ hours flies by. 10/10

One of the greatest adult animated films ever

Author: juubei-2 from Canada
15 July 2005

Yoshiaki Kawajiri's style is so detailed, so precise, you just get the feeling that each frame of animation has been slaved over and perfected, making Vamp D Bloodlust the best showcase of his directorial style. Of course, the actual chara designs are by Yoshitaka Amano and here is perhaps the most accurate depiction of his unique style. The soundtrack also bears mentioning and is right up there with the Hollywood's best.

Story-wise, its an eclectic mixture of Gothic horror, Science fiction, Westerns and Samurai, apparently based on a novel I've never read. Its genre cannot be classified simply horror, and while there are plenty of great action scenes, the near-perfect pacing allows for quiet moments of conversation between the characters.

Its full of great moments, but the best is the climactic finale - absolutely unforgettable. A must-see, right up there with classics of anime such as Studio Ghibli's work...

Dark fun

Author: Tony (Rirath_com) from USA
22 June 2003

When VHD: Bloodlust came out, I wasn't too very interested. Having recently got the chance to watch the film though, I know now I should have been. VHD:B is top notch so far as dark anime goes. From the opening scene, watching the crosses twist and crumble as the dark carriage passes by, you know you're in for something good. VHD:B doesn't disappoint.

First off, D has been given a major upgrade. He looks more vampire like, he looks stronger and badder than ever before. The new art helps much, of course. D is hired to find a girl named Charlotte, dead or alive, who has been taken by a vampire from her home. Adding to the mix is a bounty team already has a head start on D, and each member of this team could well have his/her own anime. These are no second rate fill-ins, these folks are every bit as interesting as D. The vampire in question doesn't disappoint either, showing the full force of his powers from the very first scenes.

All in all, if you're looking for something darker and blood filled, watch this show. It looks dang good, the english voices are much better than you'd expect, and things just simply click. It's well worthy of the VHD name, and surpasses the original in nearly every way.

- Rirath_com

Gripping and gorgeous Vampire D: Bloodlust is a must-see for anime lovers

Author: wonderouswashu7 from United States
15 July 2005

It is a beautifully created anime! Every scene is a masterpiece and the storyline is captivating. I truly enjoyed this movie not only because of the exquisite artwork but Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is a serious, touching, and at times humorous movie that anyone who watches it, with or without a love for animated movies, will be captured by its unique and brilliantly planned plot. And to those of you who think the hand destroyed the movie i completely disagree with them. He is an excellent source or comical relief that is needed for most people in intense movies and this is definitely an intense movie. I have seen clips of the first movie and heard the opinions of others on which is better and most of them believe that the first was slightly more gripping, but the animation is a definite improvement in Bloodlust. (I still have yet to see the first for myself.) I would have to say the only way i could be disappointed with this movie is that there aren't more of them like it.

action toned down, but quality turned up

Author: Jessie Robertson (MrBoBomb@aol.com) from United States
8 August 2002

Vampire Hunter D is a legend in some aspects of the anime world. It was the first anime I saw as a child and it was a movie I never forgot. I borrowed the sequel from my friend and I was very happy with it. There isn't as much fighting as in the first one, but the story is deep and thick with great characters. Meijer Link, a vampire with noble intentions with a human girl, is the first decent vampire we see in the D movies. You root for him, yet D never loses in battle, so it's really tough watching them fight. We see again D's constant struggle with his self and the life that he leads. He's stuck between a human life and a vampire's life, never truly fitting into either. He meets a bounty hunter, Leyla, who finds something truly magnetic about D and his loneliness in that she has felt the same way in her life. It truly is a somber tale full of lively characters, a tremendous love story, and of course, D's usual blood spilling action. A great movie that I think most audiences will enjoy.

Vampire hunter B

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
29 February 2004

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust may be called an animated version of Blade by some, but it is so much more. In this animated horror / adventure the Vampire Hunter (as Blade) is half human and half vampire, but that's about where the similarities end, for the film plays in the distant future and D is a hunter that prefers a good old fashioned sword to battle the evil of his time. The things that make this film great were the incredible music and cinematography along with a pretty good story. But that isn't all. The thing that struck me most, was that despite being a vampire / demon film, the creatures and weapons in it were rather original. Some things had just been given a bit of a work-over while other things were completely new to me. In all that one can see a lot of care was invested in the making of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and I for one thought that the result was as good as the effort. I'd even be inclined to say that Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is in my top 3 of vampire films, right next to From Dusk 'till Dawn and Dracula (by Francis Ford Coppola).

8 out of 10

Splendidly, decorated anime.

Author: lost-in-limbo from the Mad Hatter's tea party.
2 April 2006

In the distant future it's the year 12,090 where vampires and the undead who caused terror through the night are falling at a rapid rate, because of a Dunpeal; half-human, half-vampire bounty hunter called D. On this quest he's hired for 20 millions dollars by a father of a young girl who was kidnapped by a powerful vampire who plans to take her with him to the stars. But D learns that his not the only one on their trail, as the man informs him that he also hired a group of vampire hunters know as the Mark Brothers. So now the two are in competition to who can get their hands the on the girl (dead or alive) before they get to their destination. But D also suspects that maybe the girl went by her own accord, which throws a spanner into the mix.

I used to always watch anime when I was a kid, but it kinda died off me when I got into my late teens. Well, that was until it picked up momentum again when I caught the brilliant 'Neo Genesis Evangelion' anime series a couple years ago. So, now I'm a on and off viewer, but I was glad that I was switched on for this particular one. Being a horror fan and reading the synopsis for the film I thought it sounded great and it was most definitely. But I also learned it was a sequel, which I was worried that I wouldn't have a clue what was going, but that's the not the case here with certain things about our protagonist being explained because they crop up into where the story is heading. It does feels kinda different, especially in the terms of violence by keeping it within the story's limits then going out fall ball with a pointless mess. The stimulating violence is done rather graciously with the easy-going pace suddenly moving like a speeding train when the action occurs. The animation is breath-taking, it's simply eye-candy with distinguishable details and sharp imagination that's pure film-craft at its best. The heavy blanket of Gothic atmosphere that's created breaths down on you with it's dark, grimy apocalyptic feel where there's a wonderful mix of ghoulish terror and sweet innocence. While, this anime has terrifically, garnished up visuals. The story was not to be forgotten, as it's a lyrically, thoughtful tale that's richly developed with an emotional pull that's truly enticing. You could call it a hybrid with a galore of ingredients worked into the story's structure; Horror, Medieval, Western, Fantasy and Sci-fi. These adventurous aspects truly made sure that there were plenty of nifty surprises and a range of highly spirited standoffs between foes with a kicking soundtrack to boot. The moralistic tale builds up an allegory you could say about racism and that of never trusting that of perception, but to look on the inside to find the person's true meaning. The smooth dialogue is quite meaningful and there's patches of dry humour sprinkled across it. The fruitful characters are well-rounded and they add their own little parts to the story. But the star here is the quietly spoken, but extremely deadly D; who's dressed up in his black overcoat and wide-brimmed hat that hides his face. He's not alone as his accompanied by his black horse and that of a talking parasite embedded in his hand.

A really compelling and exciting anime piece that delivers all the goods in a marvellous blend.

Excellent example of the genre!

Author: cobra31 from United Kingdom
25 October 2005

Excellent manga which would be all the more enhanced with a good widescreen TV and speaker system. I don't imagine I've got much to add over and above what the other anime buffs have most probably already stated but this is definitely one of the better anime I've seen. It also has a cohesive plot that doesn't ramble on endlessly like many mangas seem to do (Akira, Spirited Away, Ghost in the Shell 2) There are nicely drawn characters. Good action. Lots of beast monster type things and supernatural stuff. Would probably give it an 8.5 out of 10 if the option was there.

I would hope that with the development of computer effects for anime there will be more entertaining mangas to come in the future. It's a genre that I always feel has a lot of potential but for some reason it doesn't quite get fulfilled. Perhaps, Hollywood might wake up to the potential for animated features that aren't necessarily focused towards kids only. Anyway, time will tell.

An exquisite Japanese animation production - heart-warming vampire tale, it is

Author: Ruby Liang (ruby_fff) from sf, usa
4 November 2001

Writer-director Yoshiaki Kawajiri gave us an absolutely fantastic animation film. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2001 U.S.) has excellent illustrations, detailed and beautifully rendered. Story is intriguingly presented, mystery and sentiments well-maintained. Original music by Marco D'Ambrosio is impressive and aptly enhanced the atmosphere.

I kept saying WOW! Feeling WOW to its amazing, dazzling sight and sound and music. The illustrative quality is awesome: the colors, the character details, the backgrounds…such all round attention, including character development and storyline. There are action sequences to match Hollywood productions, and a love story, too. The age old theme of romantic love, here between human and vampire, began with an 'outcast' vampire hunter (named 'D', himself half human half vampire - hence seemingly ever young) hired by a human family to rescue/retrieve their kidnapped daughter, who actually has fallen in love with her kidnapper vampire count…the fairytale adventure continues, and to a grand visual showdown of forces in brilliant colorful effects. Yes, there is heart, and we are rewarded with a heart-warming ending, or never-ending for that matter.

If you like vampire tales and fantasies, this is a must-see. If you appreciate well-crafted, illustrative animations, don't miss this one.

Yet to catch Richard Linklater's "Waking Life" - a modern approach to animated film - substance includes deeper exploration than usual animation flicks. Actually sounds quite philosophical - his "Before Sunrise" 1994, with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy on a train ride and brief stops in Europe, was a philosophical romantic exchange.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]