IMDb > Invincible (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Invincible (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

An absolutely terrible and laughably bad film

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
27 December 2005

When this was being advertised on TBS back in 2001, every single ad featured Mel Gibson and Jet Li's names. They were only producers, but you wouldn't know it by the extent to which their names were featured.

I thought the film looked good back then - some kind of "Matrix"/"Highlander" clone, maybe, but it still looked kinda interesting. Well, I was wrong.

From the opening - with this angelic warrior being pursued by, and then fighting, Billy Zane - the film only becomes worse and worse. It copies "The Matrix" mercilessly - from the wannabe philosophy that stems throughout every scene to the slow-motion sword fights.

Billy Zane gives an embarrassingly dull performance and the rest of the cast - mostly B-movie actors or TV actors - don't help any.

The plot is silly to begin with. The Shadow Warriors are trying to bring an end to the world - replace "Shadow Warriors" with any other bad guy name from another psycho-baddie movie and you've got the exact same plot.

Billy Zane assembles together a group of warriors to help defend earth against the Shadow Warriors.

The ending of the film is so laughable it's almost painful to watch. I would never sit through this again and certainly would never recommend it to anyone else.

"Invincible" to criticism it is not.

Terrible, but damn did the previews look good.

Author: n8gray315 from Oxford, MS
16 July 2003

Wow, this is a prime example of previews making a movie look awesome. I rented Equilibrium and saw the previews for Invincible, and I said to myself, "Wow that looks really good!" Wow was I wrong, terrible acting, poor lighting, sad fights and the supporting roles made me want to vomit! Do yourself a favor do not rent movies on the basis of their previews, trust me I should know! -n8gray315

Just about OK

Author: henry-girling from London, England
6 May 2003

If you are in undemanding mood then 'Invincible' is OK. It isn't original but it looks pretty and the fight scenes adequate for a TV movie. It obviously is a calling card for a series but any series without Billy Zane would be a big mistake.

Billy Zane is the best thing in 'Invincible' and even makes the dialogue about love (much derided in other Imdb reviews) tolerable. His character Os, not understanding everything but having fun like a child let loose in a fairground, is very watchable and his dry humour is fun. The rest of the actors are bland and uninteresting.

The most awesomely bad movie ever.

Author: vagabondjonson from United States
5 September 2007

OK, if you've got the chops to put "matrix-like action" on your movie poster then you either have a really incredible martial arts film or you have "Invincible". Now my college roommate and I got such a kick out of this movie, we did our best to put it into out monthly movie line-up just so we could make fun of it. Billy Zane is classic Billy Zane in this movie. He has the quality of making dialogue that is incredibly inane seem incredibly important. At no point during this movie was there anything that even remotely resembled "matrix-like action" and the actors who play the martial arts studs all look like Ralph Macchio could probably stuff them in a locker. Like most "martial arts" movies the plot is stodgy at best but this is hidden by the fact that the special effects were created by hamsters. If you are a fan of train wrecks and mine cave-ins, this is a movie for you.

that was dire

Author: dr-mtarver from United Kingdom
3 July 2006

Got to be one of the cheesiest martial flicks I have ever seen. The fight scenes were pathetic, and the scripting made you realise the virtues of the silent films. I think the actors must have crawled into their trailers at the end of the day and climbed into a bottle just to forget. Why on earth did the heroes spend so much time doing martial arts training in an indoor pond? So many times Billy Zane was droning on about something or other while sloshing around in jammies in ankle deep water. The character development was non-existent. There is nothing about this film which you could recommend except perhaps the camera work.

Not quite a waste of time

Author: AmamiAmane
9 March 2013

The plot was too obvious, plain and the way all the symbolism was used was overt. This is what I hate the most about movies. I cannot see the point for making this movie. The characters were not developed and there was no chemistry between them. The only chemistry built was between the character portrayed by Billy Zane and the other characters. Terrible acting, apart from Billy Zane, and no I am not a fan of him. He was the only one who did the best job on this movie and put effort and talent in it. Oh man, and all the stunt wires clearly visible, as if the stunt coordinator was too lazy to notice. I give 3 because despite plenty of trash movies on TV (e.g. "The Hangover") "The Invicibles" is the movie worth watching and +1 is for Billy Zane's good job. Basically, I can say this movie is about New Age movement.

I was a bit disappointed

Author: Taja Fox from U.S.
21 November 2001

*Spoilers contained below*

The trailer made it look exciting and interesting. But in the end, I left with mixed thoughts on it.

1- The villain was a joke. ('nough said)

2- I've seen better acting from both Billy Zane ("The Diamond of Jeru" made for TV movie) & Byron Mann ("Dark Angel" TV series). Their dialogue was choppy and stilted, not to mention corny.

3- With too much action smashed into a scene, if you looked away for a second, you missed a great deal of stuff. And it didn't give you much time to process what was happening.

4- The narrating that they had Billy Zane do throughout the movie made me want to wince each time I heard it. Especially when they would echo the same phrase about 5 TIMES (once for each element, then another one for good measure, perhaps?).

5- The way that they went about presenting the fact that "Love" conquers all, made me want to yack.

6- You only saw the elements use their power twice (that I remember). The first time, was when the elements first learned to work together, and shot four little ice-bullets through Os' sleeve. The second time, they joined forces at the end when fighting the Shadowmen, and using Metal's power, electrocuted the Shadowmen. I was disappointed that each element didn't get to show us what it was capable of.

7- I'm very familiar with the writers tactic of "dropping" a viewer into the middle of the story, so that they don't have to worry about boring the viewer with thousands of little details before the story actually starts to get rolling, but when the narrator is even confused, you know there's a problem. Anyway, they succeeded in dropping us, but they failed to "carry" us. Most of the story was told to us, not shown.

8- The special effects ended up being done fairly well. And I guess that they did fairly well with the wire-work, taking into consideration the fact that they completely threw the rule-book of gravitational force out the window ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" style). Let me clarify though, what I mean (in regard to their wire-work), is that they didn't leave the actor "dangling" (with acception to the end) just before a landing. They set them down hard enough to make it look more real, yet lightly enough not to break any of their legs during a stunt.

9- I did, however, like the music that they played at the very end, as it went into the cast and credits. It's just too bad that they never allow you to see who it's by or what it's called.

The movie could have truly been better, and I'm glad that I didn't have to pay to watch it in a theatre. Nice try guys, hope that you do better next time.

Great premise but lackluster execution

Author: harrisw from North Carolina
19 November 2001

The promos for Invincible promised excitement and action that I had never seen before. The first half-hour showed promise with a great premise and setup, but the rest of the movie fell flat. Instead of building on the premise of the movie, it settled for a simple plot and even that was not executed very well. There were a couple of good action sequences in the beginning, but as the movie progressed the action became flat as well. A lot of flash, but no substance. With a story that had a lot of promise, it's a shame Invincible was vulnerable to poor execution and writing.

Had potential

Author: Amanda from United Kingdom
2 October 2005

I was drawn to this movie by the fact Jet Li was involved with it. As a big fan of his work I know he always pulls off a great movie. The storyline seemed interesting as well, combining my favourites of action and make-believe.

The overall theme of Good and Love overcoming all evil is, one might say, an overused plot line but this had great potential. It was focused around two groups, the evil Shadowmen and the Good Elements. The Elements though were super evolved humans, chosen before birth but in a twist they were lead by a reformed Shadowman, Os. Not just any reformed Shadowman either but the most black hearted of them all, who killed one of the elements and best friend to the leader of the Shadowmen.

The basic story is the Shadowmen want to destroy the earth to return home and Os has just 6 days to locate and train the remaining 4 elements to stop him. However it was poorly done. The fight scenes were brief and sloppy as well as being few and far between. There was too much dialogue in this movie and the message of Love overcoming all evil was pounded into you from the first second and quite frankly made you sick of the whole concept. By the end I wanted the Shadowmen to win just to stick it to Os, who came across as a tree-hugging hippie type character.

Luckily I only bought this for a couple of quid but I am shocked that Jet Li even came within 1000 ft of this movie. I was severely disappointed with this and suspect that it would have been more enjoyable had I seen it a few years ago when I was unable to judge or care about how good a film was presented.

I would only recommend you watch this if it costs you nothing to do so. A severe let down.

Uh, yeah.

Author: Conagher-7 from Houston, Texas
3 September 2004

This movie wasn't as good as it could have been. The potential was there, with a decent plot and a few good actors, but it was just not done well.

The idea of a group of different individuals putting their differences aside and coming together to achieve a common goal is not new, but it can be done well. Here it was not. I didn't watch the movie for the story, which was good as it was not real good. The whole "love will overcome all" is a good idea, but Os runs it into the ground to the point that he comes across as one of those fake happy lovely-dovey Mormon missionary types that makes most people nauseous.

Judging from the commercials and the packaging, I expected this to be more of a martial arts movie. Sadly, where most martial arts movies use the story to connect the fight scenes, this movie apparently forgot that it was a martial arts flick and concentrated on a really weak story at the expense of the fighting. One could count the number of fight scenes in this movie on the fingers of one hand and still have plenty of fingers left. The fights that it did have weren't all that great, either. The fighting relied a lot on wires, which is okay for a fairy-tale or a wuxia movie, but it just looked silly here. Also, it wasn't hard to tell that the actors trained just long enough to pull this movie's few fight scenes off. The actions weren't crisp or particularly fast, and they tried to hide all of this via flickering lighting, jerky camera shots and slow-motion. It was just not good from a martial arts perspective.

Unfortunately, most of this 90 minute snoozer is only worth fast-forwarding through, which I did for most of the last thirty minutes, and I'm kicking myself for not fast-forwarding earlier through the totally inane temptation scene. Fast-forwarding through a movie is something I almost never do, but I couldn't take it after an hour of drivel. This movie may have worked as a children's cartoon or some sort of kids live-action movie, but not as a movie aimed at a post-adolescent audience. Mel Gibson I can forgive for being involved in this silly movie, but Jet Li ought to know better. Hopefully he did it as a favor or lost a bet or something.

Bottom line - avoid this one.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]