The 6th Day (2000) Poster

A Must for Arnie Fans
mjw230529 January 2005
Arnies films fall into many categories, he has his best films (Terminator series, Predator, True Lies, etc.) his average movies (Commando, Red Heat, The Running Man, etc.) and of course there's his bad movies (Red Sonja, Raw Deal, Jingle all the way, etc.). The 6th Day is somewhere between his average and his best movies, and is a must for all Arnie fans.

The plot is actually pretty good, in a world where you can clone your pet if it dies, and be unaware of the difference, Arnie finds himself cloned, and is left on the run from the people who cloned him, (standard procedure, you can't have two Arnies running about, or can you?)

With a pretty good cast, plenty of action and some neat visuals: coupled with a cool story, good script and some Arnie one liners. And yes, you've guessed it, you've got yourself a good movie.

13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Believe it or not, this is a movie to think about!
tyheyn9 November 2001
Surprisingly, this was an excellent movie and certainly one that extends beyond simply being in the action genre. The 6th Day grapples with the ethics behind cloning and the broad spectrum of implications cloning could have on our everyday lives. While yes, the movie near the end becomes pretty action-oriented, it is a very smart movie overall, and it certainly merits one's attention.

Don't let the concept of Schwarzenegger with guns make you think that this movie is'll be grossly underestimating it.
104 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Remarkably good with a few flaws
ingemar-45 January 2011
I was pleasantly surprised with how good the not very favorably reviewed 6th day was. It delivered in several ways:

• It has the expected action, stunts, effects.

• It has the expected one-liners and humor.

• Acting is generally perfectly adequate for the purpose. Rather, it must be pretty good when I never was disturbed by any bad acting.

• It is nicely futuristic in a near-future fashion with many perfectly or partially believable ideas (and some that we don't quite believe in, but hey, if we accept hyperspace travel then we can accept this).

• It has a message that actually keeps us thinking after leaving the movie. The cloning problem is considered from many points of view (not only as the bad guy's evil plan). How far can we heal, how far can we preserve life, when does it become an ethical problem, when will it clash with religion?

That is quite impressive if you ask me.

However, sometimes it fails on two points: Predictability and suspense. Some scenes, especially involving the bad guy, are so embarrassingly predictable that it makes me wish they could have skipped some clichés just for once. And the movie misses great suspense opportunities on several occasions. I won't tell you how, who or when, but when a guy is assassinated, it should not happen just out of the blue, but we should be led into the situation slowly (for example from the assassin's point of view) so we get the chance to worry about it. That opportunity is missed at least twice, when the movie jumps straight into the kill, giving us momentary cheap shock instead of thrill. Compare it to the killing in, for example, Predator (one of the most excellent Arnold movies). Most kills by the Predator don't come out of the blue, we are warned, and it adds suspense and thrill.

Those flaws push the movie down from the top marks, but I still rank it pretty high for the points mentioned above. Quite entertaining and even interesting too, which makes it one of the better Arnold movies. Recommended!
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Intelligent action/mystery in the cloning genre
Elswet16 October 2003
Impersonated by "Impostor," 2002, this production is far superior in many ways. The casting was excellent; many of the main players having had only obscure parts until now, lent a crisp freshness to the production. Even with a few of them lacking in experience, these performances were completely professional and the characters were developed along the way well enough to enable the audience to care about what events occur.

The mental turns this production takes are quite clever and intelligent, and demonstrates a superior directing ability. The scenery, sets, and background content are all quite well done; as if real thought went into each detail and scene, rather than just throwing a house together, decorating it like a mobile home and a hearty, "...send those actors in there!" Very nice.

The story itself is quite disturbing down on a deeper level where people seldom reach you. It was both thought provoking and compelling. I found this movie hauntingly disturbing. We ~are~ in the age of cloning, after all.

This is one of Schwarzenegger's best films, in my opinion; one of many very entertaining, intellectual action films in which he has starred. While there was not much science to this science fiction, it was still extremely entertaining. If you liked Terminator 1 or 2, Total Recall, or True Lies, you will thoroughly enjoy this wonderfully-written, (almost) directional(ly art-house) work of art.

It gets a sound 8.3/10 from...

the Fiend :.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Decent sci-fi flick with failed potential
Tom Schulz6 December 2000
I recently had the pleasure of teaching the wonders of film criticism to an English composition class at Marietta College in Marietta, Ohio. The experience was enjoyable, and the class posed a number of questions. One of the more interesting questions concerned the films I had seen that I believed had potential, but ultimately failed in execution. While I have seen a number of films that fit into this category, I couldn't think of a decent example. This was because I hadn't seen "The 6th Day" yet. What could have been an interesting and exciting look at the evils of cloning was a "B" grade action film at best, despite an above-par script and one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's better roles to date.

The film's premise is heavily based in TRUE science fiction; that is, fiction having its basis in scientific truth, using projections of the future to fully examine some aspect of our society. Sorry to go into such an elaborate definition, but I believe a lot of stuff gets swept into the category of science fiction simply because it has a robot, or takes place in outer space. But I digress.

This fictional reality here deals with cloning. In the film, which takes place in the "near future," cloning is an every-day practice, but only with pets and animals. Cloning people has been outlawed, as the original human cloning project went horribly wrong. Schwarzenegger plays Adam Gibson, a decent family man and helicopter pilot chartered to fly Michael Drucker (Tony Goldwyn), a rich businessman who owns Replacement Technologies. This corporation is at the height of cloning technology, running everything from a fish cloning company to help repopulate the oceans, to "RePet," a company that clones dead family pets. There's even a rumor that the company's head doctor (Robert Duvall) is experimenting with illegal human cloning. Something goes terribly wrong on Drucker's first flight, and before he knows, Gibson discovers he has been cloned. Its up to him to discover the secret controversy, and get his life back.

With this premise, the film is wide open to make many social observations, and does so very well, on occasion. Much of the legalities concerning cloning, as well as the ethical concerns, are discussed and examined by the characters. Even though the technology exists in the future, it is not widely accepted. Some of these observations are stated with all the eloquence you could expect from an Arnold/action film, but others are done so subtly, and surprisingly, with biting humor. Much of the concept of "RePet" is quite amusing.

However, if science fiction is the film's basis, lame action sequences are its filler. In between these intriguing dialogues are shoddy, cookie-cutter action scenes one should expect from a made for TV film. No matter if it's a car chase, a laser gun shoot-out, or a helicopter battle, it all feels very dull. It's not that I'm knocking these things, because they have to appear in action film; I just wish they were done well. Ultimately, the action suffers from a lack of creativity, which ironically, is where the rest of the script excels.

And one can't blame Arnold for not trying, as he is both charming and believable in his part. His is a performance with a surprising level of humanity, especially in scenes where he's going about his daily life. One almost forgets he's an action star and begins to take him a little seriously. But don't worry, after the first half-hour he's picked up a laser gun and is fighting and one-lining his way to the climax.

I guess my one qualm with "The 6th Day" is its failed potential: with some better action sequences (like those found in "The Matrix"), this could have been a very decent film, one I would be sending you to right away. Instead, it's simply a wait-for-video flick, and by my guess, that wait won't be long.
61 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thoughtful and Full of Action Sci-Fi
Claudio Carvalho24 June 2017
In the near future, cloning technology is highly developed and the corporation Replacement Technologies owned by the wealthy Michael Drucker (Tony Goldwyn) is responsible for cloning pets in RePet shops. However there is a law called Sixth Day that prohibits human cloning and many groups and movements that are against any type of cloning. When Drucker needs to travel to a remote location, he hires the professional helicopter pilots Adam Gibson (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and his friend Hank Morgan (Michael Rapaport), requesting an eye test from them first. However Hamk flies since it is Adam's birthday; the family dog has just died and he is thinking about the possibility of cloning the animal for his daughter. Adam decides to by a doll called Cindy instead but when he arrives home, he finds that Oliver and he have been cloned. Further, he is hunted down by four professional killers and he needs to flee. What happened to Adam and why was he cloned?

"The 6th Day" is a thoughtful and full of action sci-fi from the beginning of this century. Possible consequences of cloning human beings are shown through the family man Adam Gibson performed by Arnold Schwarzenegger in a double role. The plot has funny moments, lots of action and excellent cast. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O 6º Dia" ("The 6th Day")
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
check this movie out ASAP
Hollywood CEO20 November 2000
"The 6th Day" marks the return of Arnold Schwarzenegger to a role that seems to be second nature to him: action. This time there is an added twist; there is actually a decent plot attached to it.

"The 6th Day" revolves around a man who has been cloned and ends up on the run from a corporation who wants him dead. Arnold is this man who has lost his family, life and taking on the corporation who took it from him. All the while, Arnold is searching within himself to find a way to get his family back.

The 6th Day" boasts a cast that includes Robert Duvall, Michael Rooker, Tony Goldwyn and Sarah Wynters. I knew the second I saw these names flash across the screen I was in for a real treat.

The best thing about "The 6th Day" is the performance of Schwarzenegger because he is not only an action star in this film but a dramatic actor as he combines these two talents to pull off one of his better performances of his career.

Arnold did not make this film a hit by himself, he had a little help from his friends. From Robert Duvall who played the doctor who performed the cloning operations to Michael Rooker, who was one evil henchmen with his menacing attitude and presence "The 6th Day" is one great film to see.

I enjoyed how the plot of film didn't rely solely on the action sequences. Though, the action is fine and dandy; I believe that a film needs more than just action and "The 6th Day" has it.

"The 6th Day" is one of the best Arnold films I've seen including the "Terminator" series. It is filled with action, twists, turns, edge of your seat suspense and drama that will appeal to all movie fans of every age.
55 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Science Fiction obsessed by human cloning
Dr Jacques COULARDEAU18 July 2010
That film is not a masterpiece, for sure, even as an action film. But this film goes along with many films with Schwarzenegger that are dealing with the future. We of course think at once of Terminator. But it also deals with another theme that is popular with him: the use of technology and science to enslave humanity, I mean true real human beings. At times this "technology and science" is coming from outer space like in Predator. In this case, like in Total Recall or The Running Man it is coming from humans themselves. In this case it goes slightly further than in other cases. We are not speaking of robots, of the misuse of television and so on, but we are speaking of cloning. What happens when the inventor of a new technology that enables the cloning of a man in twenty minutes, including his mind, memories, etc by the recording of all that via an eye scanner, is using the technology to reproduce himself and his associates? What happens if that inventor is able to inject into each clone a fatal disease that limits his life span to five years maximum, and only the very few at the heart of the plot would be free of that fatal gene or could be cloned again without it? The story of course does not answer these questions really because Adam Gibson (a good old name for the one who will regenerate the creation of God, the creation of the first Adam on the sixth day of his work) self-appoints himself as the one who is going to clean up the plate and he does. The details are in the film. The film adds on this plate the fact that Adam Gibson had been by mistake cloned and then two Adam Gibsons have to cooperate and to survive together, a good lesson of humanity for which the family is the inalienable unit that any man in this family has to defend. Slightly man-centered, but that is no real accident. The man portrayed here is slightly old-fashioned. That's why he is against cloning and that's why he is a slight but gallant male chauvinist. Just watch the film for the action and do not compare with memories of yours. This film borrows a lot from various other films or from novels.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne, University Paris 8 Saint Denis, University Paris 12 Créteil, CEGID
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best action thrillers in years--great special effects, characters and story. **** (out of four)
Movie-129 January 2001
THE 6TH DAY / (2000) **** (out of four)

By Blake French:

Roger Spottiswoode's recent action film "The 6th Day" is of the best thrillers you will see this year, and possibly the next. Seldom do action pictures have as much thought, insight, and are this well written and developed. With a screenplay by Cormac Wibberley and Marianne Wibberley, the movie takes one of the most controversial current subjects, cloning, and applies it to a time when it may cause discern for public, the near future. This is a movie with ample prominence and proximity, and depending where you stand on the issue of cloning will determine whether or not we will side with the main character here. He is played by Arnold Schwarzenegger, now forgiven for his last several bombs, "Jingle all the Way," "End of Days," and "Batman and Robin." If one thriller can make up for those three hideous productions, you know it must be very good...and it is.

Schwarzenegger stars as Adam Gibson, a middle-aged everyman who has a lovely wife, Natalie (Wendy Crewson), and a young, pretty daughter named Carla (Taylor Anne Reid). Adam and his friend, Hank (Michael Rapaport), are pilots for the Double X Charter Company, a helicopter touring service. While most of society has adapted to the advancements in technology, such as the ability to clone deceased pets and to own a realistic looking and behaving doll, Adam is pretty old-fashioned when it comes branch of knowledge. At least until one night when he returns home to find his family and friends celebrating his birthday with him already inside. Outside his house waits several agents, including Talia (Sarah Wynter), Robert (Michael Rooker), and Vincent (Terry Crews), who attempt to kill him.

Adam and Hank were cloned by a multi-billion dollar food cloning company, Replacement Technologies. This corporation is run by an individual named Drucker (Tony Goldwyn), who supposedly used his cloning equipment to replenish the world's food supply. While human cloning is illegal, he and his chief scientist, Dr. Weir (Robert DuVall), are constantly cloning for various reasons. After they discover Adam escaped his assassins, they begin an all out scheme to destroy the evidence in which they have created.

The tedious measures the filmmakers take in development of the characters, situations, events, and motives are outstanding. We get to know the main characters. They are intriguing and the conflict is highly engrossing; even the antagonist's motives provoke thought. The film is engaging throughout because the subject and its execution are so relevant and controversial. "The 6th Day" does not feel like a high tech action film, although it is. But it also has a very authentic flavor because it uses the special effects to further the story, and the action sequences are all in context of the plot.

About those action scenes and special effects, they do not distract from the movie's themes or story. Roger Spottiswoode, whose most poplar work consists of "Tomorrow Never Dies," (1997) and "Turner & Hooch," (1989), keeps the story fast-paced but finely focused. The futuristic material, so often overused in movies nowadays, is kept to a believable realm here. The film handles the material with delicacy; if the movie was to use too little, its subject matter would be unconvincing; if there was too much, then the film would become too far-fetched. Spottiswoode contrasts just the right amount, and blends the effects with the various character's personalities beautifully.

What impresses me most of all about movies like "The 6th Day" is how the writers deny the urge to allow the special effects and action to take place of the passion in characters. In the year 2000, we received big waves in "The Perfect Storm," big explosions in "U-571," computer animated sequences in "X-Men," and all sorts of special martial arts stunts in "Charlie's Angels" and "Legend of Drunken Master." But what those movies were missing is depth and insight of the real world, and the movies that did contain heart, like "The Perfect Storm," were contrived and shameless. With "The 6th Day" we have a movie that contains all the excitement and special effects, but within a story that is character-based and relevant to our times. This is one of the top ten movies released in the year 2000.
33 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Arnold movie everyone can enjoy
MichaelOates11 March 2004
"The 6th Day" marks the return of Arnold Schwarzenegger to a genre that is second nature to him: action. This time there is an added twist; there is an excellent plot attached.

"The 6th Day" boasts a cast that includes Robert Duvall, Michael Rooker, Tony Goldwyn and Sarah Wynter. I knew the second I saw these names flash across the screen I was in for a real treat. The first time I saw Schwarzenegger's name I immediately knew he is the perfect man for the job.

19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
To Clone Or Not To Clone
ccthemovieman-18 August 2006
A good movie for DVD with terrific 5.1sound and sharp visuals, this was another entertaining Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle. The action isn't overdone and the humor is subtle.

"To clone human beings or not to clone" is the question here and the topic of the movie. For one of the few times, Hollywood actually gives the right message. Wow, shocking to see Hollywood be on the side of morality for once. No wonder some Left Wing fanatics didn't like the story.

The film, however, succumbs at the ending action to the typical "Rambo mentality," where the good guys couldn't hit if they threw an H-bomb at them. However, most of the action scenes in the film are well-done with a lot more credibility.

Arnold's thick accent doesn't credibility to his characters nor those around him in this story. Sometimes he can get away with it, but not in this movie. The villains in here are all effectively portrayed.

Generally, a fun movie....and it looks great on Blu-Ray!
32 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Arnold's brainiest film after "Total Recall"
gridoon201818 February 2016
"The 6th Day" is a rarity: an Arnold Schwarzenegger vehicle with a plot (with a great reversal in the middle), a weighty subject matter, and something to think about. Even the villain is not just a random psychopath - he has a rationale to his actions. The film is well-designed (the world it creates is both recognizable and slightly futuristic), and sometimes very funny ("loading virtual psychiatrist!"). And how about Robert Duvall's performance - certainly of a higher caliber than we're used to in an Arnold film. It's not flawless: it's too long, some of Roger Spottiswoode's directorial effects are annoying, and the helicopter climax looks very bad! But as Arnold's movies go, it's among his better ones. *** out of 4.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Anti-science propaganda couched in pseudo-philosophical moralizing MILD SPOILER
mstomaso26 May 2005
The great things about this film are the high energy action sequences with an aging and only slightly unbelievable Arnold Schwarzenneggar. What is far from great, however, is how the film does a half-assed job of dealing with an ethical issue in what ought to have been a thoughtful way. The film treats the issue of cloning in an amazingly misinformed and ignorant manner and rides on a remarkably idiotic script.

Don't people consult with real-world scientists when treating scientific issues any more? Assuming Western civilization survives into the 22nd century, people will likely look at this propaganda film as an example of the savagery of 21st century life, inhabiting the same cinematic context that Reefer Madness enjoys today.

It is clear that a lot of thought went into this film. However, thought without the support of FACT is about as useful as a teabag without water. Thought is a means to great things, those great things can not come to fruition without a proper context and without the support offered by... reality.

Arnold (who is really the only personality in the film) gets illegally cloned for no apparent reason (the plot is not driven by necessity, but rather, by the writers poor conceptualization of the moral implications of cloning), and his clone, not being aware of the fact that he is a clone, takes over the REAL Arnold's life. A lot of people, in fact, get cloned for no apparent reason, and then get shot for equally inconsequential reasons. I will not spoil this by going much farther, but I have to admit that the ending is WORTH the effort of suspending disbelief through all the absurdity of the first 3/4ths and is the reason I gave the film a 4 instead of a 1. (Politically, most of the movie is a 1-) This is NOT a film about the REALITY of cloning. Rather, it is a paranoid, empty and weightless attack on the whole moral concept of cloning - and by implication an attack om science and medical progress. Science does not and can not progress by weak, cowardly half-measure conservatism. If this were its mode of operation, we would still be treating communicable diseases with mercury injections and sweat baths as we were just a hundred years ago. We are constantly beaten over the head by movies like this - with the message of science's potential to destroy all we hold dear. Folks, your politicians invented the H-Bomb, not the scientists in the Manhattan Project, and certainly not Einstein, upon whose work its technology relies. And worse... the politicians were also the ones who used it.

One of the questions the film treats - seriously - is whether or not clones have souls. Getting past the fact that "souls" are not definable through any rational thought process and really have no place in movies concerning scientific themes, clones, being more or less exact genetic copies of existing organisms, have as much soul as any other creature. How could it be otherwise? Fortunately, this film does not provide a clear message in the end, despite the heavy-handed future-phobic paranoiac ultra-right-wing ignorance pervading the first half of the film. Worth watching, if you can stomach the stupidity to get to the rather ambiguous but reasonable point.
16 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Totally recalled!
uds33 April 2002
Sorry guys...THE SIXTH DAY doesn't quite cut it as top-drawer Scifi, but has a lot of fun along the way failing! Entertaining and eminently watchable inarguably, it just falls down at critical moments! Bulging with ideas and concepts from other science fiction movies of the last 15 years or so, THE SIXTH DAY at least tries to get a message across about the social and moral problems inherent in cloning.

Schwarzenegger, moving up several cogs since END OF DAYS (cruelly dubbed END OF CREDIBILITY in some circles) plays the ultimate family man totally miffed when he comes home one night ready for his daughter's birthday party, only to find himself already there. The scenes following, where he attempts to elude corporation "agents" carrying his pre-programmed doll are hysterical.....rather reminiscent of the Johnny Cab sequence in TOTAL RECALL. The latter film is also obviously making a second cameo appearance when Arnie is introduced to RE-PET, an obvious take on the RECALL facility!

Unfortunately the film gets sillier as it goes on, still interesting but just goofy in its logic, although Duvall provides credibility as the genetic scientist responsible for the entire project. Spottiswood is clinging to the sides of his runaway juggernaut towards the last reel as Arnie and his identical self turn the tables on the bad guys.

I WANTED to like this flick and indeed DID, but as a cerebrally challenging piece of Sci-fi it just doesn't work. A better title would have been LAST ACTION CLONE.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Twice the Ah-nuld, but not twice the action.
modius2 January 2003
Ever since the early eighties, one man more than any other has been on the forefront of Hollywood based action, Arnold Schwarznegger - But Arnold has been trying for some time to move away from action films. And with muted sucess the Sixth Day Arnold returns to a movie which has more thought and brains than any of his past two or three films.

However it doesn't fit well into what should be an all-out action fest and it doesn't fit with the direction style.

Set in the "near future", Arnold, or Ah-nuld, is a future helicopter pilot - and wakes up one day to find himself looking at himself - a doppleganger effect if ever there was one. He finds out he has been cloned.

At this point I have expected Arnold to go "beserk" (ref: Rainer Wolfcastle, Simpsons) - but instead we get Arnold walking around trying to discover the truth behind the evil co-operation behind his cloning in a sort of "well I dunno if I want this to be all out action, but I want it to be intelligent as well" kind of manner.

This isn't helped but the direction which goes into pseduo-Tony Scott style mixed with Matrix trickery. Thankfully there is enough darkness in the film with subtle references to Blade Runner and Paul Verhoven's work throughout the film that it doesn't get annoying.

Unfortuently the Matrix trickery does get a little annoying, especally when you get overhead shots of the same freeway with cars going at fast speeds - and Arnold's memory going into "worbly effect" for no reason. I know its his memory, there's no need for it to be "worbly".

There is also the flip-book effect at the end of the movie where you see the whole movie in reverse in double-speed which ends with a part where you seem to think your a clone as well - and this is your was a nice effect and a nice twist.

The film treds lightly on the subject of cloning, and although you know the film is dead against it, it does try to debate why it might be useful. The empty vessels in the underground lab of the evil corp. seem to be there to scare the uneducated - it takes years to get full humans, even cloning would not get you an exact copy of a person.

The plot gets around this by using "sim-cording's of a person's memory" - this technology in itself is far more frightening than any cloning technology.

The evil guy uses clones for his own, selfish reasons - to make money - clones have "faults" in them so they die every so many years - hence happy customers will pay him billions just to stay alive.

Again this is where the film misses the mark. Perhaps if someone else had starred in this film I could believe an evil guy just wants to make money - but this is an arnold film - I wanted the evil guy to clone the presidents of the world - take over the world or at least something that would hark back to the action that we as audiences have expected from Schwarznegger.

Later on in the film Arnold seems to constantly pat himself on the back when he meets up with his "clone" - it is incredibly hammy - and for some reason I kept thinking Arnold had ventured into Jean Claude Van Damme ego-terrotory.

Anyway, the film lacks from a real edge. It might have twice the Ah-nuld, but it certainly doesn't have twice the action.

Perhaps a good rental, but I certainly wouldn't buy it.

Overall: 4/10
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Attack of the Clones
BroadswordCallinDannyBoy15 December 2007
"The Sixth Day" is an example of when a big movie star gets so self-indulgent that they make a movie that has absolutely nothing new or interesting to offer, other than seeing that big movie star do what they are known best for doing. Arnold is know for kicking ass in big budget movies and this is just what he does here. Nothing more. The plot is a lame and uninspired version of "Total Recall" and it tries to top it with almost hilarious futility. There is even a scene where Arnold wakes up in a cab with no recollection of how he got there. Sound familiar? It should, since you have probably seen that in a better movie.

Now, one can't blame this all on Arnold since the producers are likely to be just as much at fault. Take one of the opening sequences that involves two admitted cool helicopter/jet hybrids racing in a canyon with one on remote control and the other actually being flown by a pilot. It's a fun scene, but it offers nothing more than fancy special effects. I don't mind expansive special effects, but there is a clear difference when these effects are thoughtful and designed with purpose than when they are not. The expansive (and expensive) sets and effects of "Total Recall" all worked within the film to show you the futuristic world that the story takes place in. Here many things are shown off just because they look cool and the overall "sci-fi" world isn't really a sci-fi world at all. It is just our contemporary world with random sci-fi things thrown in like holograms, high-tech vehicles and gadgets. Though, in a very odd move, one of the film's main action scenes, a car chase, has just regular cars and a regular suburban setting. The only indicator of science fiction is that these vehicles are virtually indestructible as they plow through houses and take vehicle suspensions to new levels of abuse. However, in the end it just the same old thing reheated, re-glossed, and re-served on the same old movie screen.

In other words, wholly uninteresting science fiction/action movie that barely scratches the surface of its interesting premise. It'll only entertain if taken as a no-brainer action flick, but there are so many of those around anyway. --- 4/10

Rated PG-13 for violence. This is a real MPAA treat as we are treated to lasers severing body parts and neck breaking. A real high for violence in the PG-13 category. Ages 13+
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ah, that Canadian Je ne sais quois...
A_Different_Drummer13 January 2014
If you are a Canadian, one of the greatest ironies you are likely to encounter in your lifetime is the ongoing "dumbing down" of the US film industry by Hollywood producers who voluntarily choose to shoot their films in the Frozen North so they can lop a mere 30 or 60 mil off the production cost.(Most likely, the money "saved" ends up in fatter executive salaries -- after all, this is Hollywood we are talking about, the place where "creative accounting" was literally invented.)The irony, of course, is that it was not so long ago that concerned Canadian politicians were taking draconian steps to protect OUR culture ..from those same producers! Joke, joke. Who would have suspected that, 20 years later incur "global village," US producers and fast-buck artists would voluntarily move their productions here -- and voluntary comply with Canadian regs requiring them to "top load" said productions with" Canadian talent" -- both in front of, and behind, the camera. THE SIXTH DAY, a recent release starring "The Arnold," is a marvelous case in point. Even if he is a bit long in the tooth, and even if his best" Terminator" roles are far behind him, Le Arnold really does deserve better than this soporific ROBOCOP clone which is so whitebread -- so completely lacking in personality, SO GOSH-DARN Canadian! -- that the only real "action" the viewer is likely to see is when he tries to beat the lineup at the urinals after credits role. OK, perhaps it is unfair to pick on THE SIXTH DAY. The same precise comment can be made about literally all the US movies done up here -- a billion dollars worth of annual production that voluntarily, without coercion, agreed to waddle unto the bar and guzzle down the cultural genomes of Preston Manning, Sir. John A., and Joe Clark. Yawn! Mandatory Canadian talent in front -- and behind-- the camera? Seems a small price to pay for those cost savings -- until you realize (yet another delicious irony!) just how different the" artistic standards" of our two countries really are. America genuinely rewards individuality, whereas ours is a country born and raised on homogeneity. Any good film critic can spot a "made in Canada" US production in the first ten minutes because the scenes are all so technically perfect, so correctly lit, so lacking in imagination, that each should come with a warning not operate heavy machinery while watching. And what about all those Canadian "character actors" shoved helter-skelter into those secondary roles — all part of that very same purely contractual, reverse-discrimination, cultural Heimlich manoeuvre? Did I say Canadian character actors? Hell, if ever there was an "oxymoron" that deserved serious scrutiny by world academicians, that indeed would-be the place to start. And, while we are accumulating delicious ironies, here's yet another. The deficiencies noted above are likely to be most obvious to -- surprise! --other Canadians. Evading Canadian content where possible, and inhaling US culture in all its legal and illegal forms, is ITSELF so darn Canadian that's practically a competitive sport north of the49th parallel. Imagine the irony -- that word again -- when Canadian viewers who have practically made a career of avoiding dry, starchy, Canadian production values turn on a "US" vehicle like THE SIXTH DAY, only to have their very own DNA thrown back into their astonished faces. Arnold, we hardly knew ye.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's okay when it's not horrible
Shawn Watson4 February 2001
Unfortunately this was one of the biggest flops of 2000. Arnie still kicks ass and there is no denying it. But beneath the horrid effects and poor script this movie raises important questions about human cloning and gives VERY good reasons as to why it should NEVER happen.

We all know the plot by now. Arnie comes home from work only to find that he's already there and celebrating his own birthday. What a high concept idea! But the execution of it and the bad script turn it into a shambles.

The action is badly done and the SFX are pathetic. I usually don't care much for SFX but I wasn't particularly impressed with this movie. Those helicopters that can turn into jet planes are soooooo tacky.

Many of us doubted Arnie after Batman and Robin and End of Days (I was one of them) but he has proved himself here once again as an action hero who can still be the lead in a movie, even if it still a crap one. Age has not slowed him down and it doesn't look like it will for a while yet. He has still got a few more action movies to go. Maybe one day we'll get a third Terminator.
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Really About Cloning
xanada7316 August 2001
This film was pushed as a dissertation on the ethical issues and social implications of cloning in the world of the near future, and most viewers seem to have interpreted it as just that. But the truth of the matter is, the aspect of human cloning isn't really the crux of this film at all: it's the 'syncorder' technology. Theoretically, we could clone a human being now, but such a process would be a threat to no one; we'd simply have a totally seperate individual with the same DNA the individual from whom he/she was cloned. The ability to 'synchord' peoples memories and personalities and implant them into the clone, however, allows the films villains to insidiously 'replace' their victims. Well, if you have a bloody syncorder, to hell with cloning! These people could already conquer the world by retrieving classified secrets from people to whom they give 'retinal scans!' Also, the existence of the syncorder implies that the information storage and retrieval systems of the human brain have been cracked. If that were the case, wouldn't people be able to build more advanced computer programs than the mindless, repetitive, doll-like imitations of SimPal Cindy and the Virtual Girlfriend?

The fact is, this world is not one of the 'near future,' because the kind of technology required to build a synchorder, let alone one as small and easy to use as the 'vision testing machine' used by this film's villainry, is not going to be available to use for a long, looong time. Since the characters ignore this, and focus almost entirely on the mundane concept of cloning, most of the important questions are not asked. Arnold's clone wonders if he is human. Well of course he's human! And the idea that he doesn't have a soul simply because he is a clone is repulsive; how about not having a soul because his memories and personality emanate from a digital information storage device?

Barring this, I think that this was a good action flick embedded in a surprisingly well done science fiction film. Innovative direction, if not choreography, and the movie puts a lot of things taken for granted from Arnie's previous action films on their heads, which is fun to watch. Having to kill the same people over and over ("Yeah, yeah, we've all been killed before."), and two Arnies arguing with each other and double teaming the bad guys, for example. My only problem; Arnold is some kind of extreme sports chartered helicopter pilot; how does that explain his trademark aim, paramilitary training, and the ability to effortlessly kill people with his bare hands? We know he HAS to be able to do these things, but it still makes no sense in this case.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best word to describe!
Melvin-814 December 2000
This movie once again proves that Arnie is, was and always will be the ultimate Action-Hero. He is much more believable then other so called Action-Movie Actors like Keanu Reeves and so on. By the way........this movie entertained me much more than Matrix did. The question I have is....................Why Columbia.......Why did you have to release this movie at christmas season? This one.......and trust me........would have been the greatest blockbuster of this year. Too bad...........but I loved it.........go see it............ Great action, loads of humor and most of all a credible story.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than Total Recall!
kenandraf18 November 2000
Definitely much better than Total Recall becouse of the theme regarding man's mortality.I just realised something more about life becouse of this movie and it is that my material "life" is composed of my memories basically.The memory transfer and preservation span determines one's material existance.THE MEMORY not the body embodies my material identity.I thought about it hard as I walked out of the cinema after the movie played and it also dawned on me that the brain cells I had ten years ago are now dead and gone and yet I live on becouse the memories were transfered from the older brain cells to the new brain cells.I do not have the same material body for ever for older cells pass on information to the new cells.Some body parts faster or slower than the others.My very body is a continuing process of death and rebirth but becouse the memory transfer is smooth,I do not really realise my many deaths.It also turned my thoughts towards the very familliar transporter technologies of the sci-fi stories of Star Trek.Based on that technology if it does come about,one's body is basically killed(de-constructed) to be reasembled once again (re-constructed) with an exact copy of one's memories re-inserted.Scary thought huh?The movie delivers on all areas.Cinematography,effects,direction,etc.,everything perfect!The only area it is not perfect in is lack of overall originality.It was an amalgam of Total Recall,Bladerunner,Ghost In A Shell,Matrix,Terminator and Boys From Brazil.But even with this weakness,it still is one of the best movies ever made!Congratulations once again to Arnie!
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Arnie's finest hour
Corky198421 April 2005
6th Day is a very lazy offering from Arnie. The problem with the film is that it comes with a 15 rating, thus all the action is watered down and to be quite frank, rather boring. The story is not much to write home about, but that needn't have made 6th Day such a disappointing film. The abject lack of Arnie's usual heavy violence makes this sorry viewing for fans of his earlier movies. Arnie's scenes with his family are utterly vomit inducing such are their insincerity. Robert Duvall is OK in this, but he is never stretched. The rest of the cast are typical B-movie fodder, not terrible, but hardly reinventing the wheel either! 6th Day will not be fondly remembered, but will probably keep turning up on Channel 5 for years to come. It's harmless enough, but not particularly fun to watch. Best to catch it when nothing else is on.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this