IMDb > Crazy (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Crazy More at IMDbPro »

Coming of age movie

Author: ChWasser from Langen, Germany
23 June 2000

This coming-of-age movie is an adaptation of the autobiographical bestseller by Benjamin Lebert which caused a sensation on the German bookmarket in 1999 because the author was only 17 years old when he wrote it.

It tells the story of a "half-side spastic" boy who keeps changing schools in order to pass the math exams at last. His latest school is a boarding-school in Southern Bavaria (filmed at the same one that the real Benjamin attended), where he finds friends for the first time. Each of these misfits has problems of his own but they all share the confusion of puberty. This period of life is shown so authentically that everyone in the audience will be able to identify with the characters (or remember his/her own youth).

The actors are excellent (especially Tom Schilling and Julia Hummer) and very well guided by Hans-Christian Schmid, who seems to have a knack of discovering young talents. The music is great as well and excellently enhances the often melancholy mood of the film. If you liked "Fucking Amal" you'll love "Crazy". I hope it will be a success.

One of the best teenage movies!!!

Author: Huntingshewolf from NRW, Germany
17 June 2004

I think "Crazy" is one of the best teenage movies. It's reality! You see all these, sometimes ugly, teenagers and you know that this is life. Hollywood films are so unrealistic. For example "American Pie". I love that movie but all teenagers look like grown-ups and they are so beautiful. And if you see Nadia and Jim you know that in real life such a beautiful girl would never never never even speak with such a loser. I'm sorry, but that's reality and that shows "Crazy". The boys aren't cool and don't look like models. Also the girls. The film is melancholic just as life is and that's the good thing on that film. (I hope my English isn't so bad.) It shows real problems of a teenager not only the adventures or funny sides. But i think that because of this reality teenagers don't like that film because the movie reflects their own problems and if you see a film you won't be remembered on your problems. That's it!

a very realistic and catching teenage movie

Author: andre-71 from Bonn, Germany
10 July 2000

It seems like Europe has finally developed its own style of teenage movies, which is far more appealing to me than the American one. There are indeed a few similarities to "Fucking Åmål", and at first I thought "Crazy" to be just some kind of a German copy of it. But then I found, it is mainly the realism and the straightness that is similar to FA; and I consider this as a new European style. Most of the feelings and emotions of this film have also appeared in my youth, and they most probably will in all upcoming generations, too. So, the film is very catching for everybody, especially males, who have been a teenager. Some of the people in the audience even shed a tear at certain moments. The only thing I thought to be a little unrealistic and even annoying is the way the sixteen year old boys seemed to think about god. I would think that most boys of that age, unless being raised in a strict religious environment, talk about god in a less reflected way. But maybe this is a typical Bavarian phenomena, or the producers wanted to push chances of receiving an US-American academy award.

Author: princtongirl818 from Germany
19 August 2005

I don't understand your opinion about the film. You don't like it just because of the language? I think this movie shows us the reality with drugs, sex and being in love. We have seen this movie in our German lesson, and my parents, they don't understand why we are looking this in school. I think our teachers wanted to show us the reality and how does it feel like to be in love. Because of this adjustment I love this film.And I just want to say to all parents, watch this movie it can show you how your kids feel.And I think every pupil should watch this movie, because it shows how complicated the world and our life can be. bye

Absolutely wonderful!

Author: Carlos Martinez Escalona from Mexico
1 April 2010

I'm still a bit breathless after watching this film (pretty late, 10 years after)... but it carries you away with such power that in certain moments it becomes a bit difficult to keep your cool. I suppose everyone can feel related to one or other of the characters. After reading the original novel, you know what to expect, but the way this book was put into film makes it one of the best films on the subject I've seen yet.

Benni is portrayed unflinchingly by Robert Stadlober. His role is not only believable, it is -I may be exaggerating, as always, perfect.

It's a memorable film with one of the best soundtracks I remember from a non-musical-film. Maybe the strength given to some scenes by the perfectly chosen songs is one of the reasons you must watch the film. It will tear off some of your memories, or maybe it will call your own adolescent back to tell you some things you, and I, should never forget.

Good Movie---> If you understand it

Author: erikeriksen from Germany
7 July 2006

Unlike some other people around who give a bad ranking just because they didn't under that: 1) Germany movies are in German --> we don't speak English just because you want us to, even though we could 2) NOT every movie about teenager as a bad American teenage comedy/slapstick

The movie Crazy is more or less a Drama about a young handicapped boy (the protagonist can't control the right side of his body) who happens to come to a new boarding school which is located in a beautiful castle in Germany. The movie then revolves around him being the new guy, how he finds friends and how he falls in love with a girl. BUT also due to his handicaps he has a tough standing in the school. After all the movie is not a comedy, but a very touching drama with some funny parts. I really recommend it to everyone who is open for new things.

How I wasted 90 minutes of my life...

Author: astronic from Dortmund, Germany
4 March 2003

This film is a portrait of the half-spastic teenage boy Benjamin who has to visit a boarding school because of his lousy marks in Math. He didn't make the best experiences in life before and got serious self-esteem issues. After a rough start at his new school, he starts making friends, falls in love with a girl and does some American Pieish teenage stuff.

Beside some comedy elements, the film is told in a very serious way, focussing on Benjamin and his problems.

If you already don't like this story outline, save your time and watch something else. If you do, please be aware of the following:

1) Benjamin is a total loser. Whatever he does, he does it terribly wrong and then he goes for self-pity all the time. For me he wasn't that kind of "charming loser" who you can feel sympathy for and laugh with. Instead he and his behavior really annoyed me and with my own teenage years not so far behind I could barely stand watching.

2) The film hardly tries to be realistic and the story seems to be but from my experience the characters just aren't (except for Janosch maybe). And yes, I know this film is based on an auto-biography written by a 17-year old - but having some experiences with German schools and German youth myself, I don't believe him.

3) Showing the sexual awakening really is an important thing for a film with this subject. But I doubt that teenage boys do an "Ejaculate on the cookie"-contest where everyone has to hit a cookie with his sperm during mass-masturbation in the woods and the loser has to eat the sperm-wet cookie afterwards. Although it kinda amused me in a contemptible way, it's nor funny neither underlining the serious attempts of this film.

4) There's a sub-plot about Benjamin's family and his father betraying his wife - still, I don't know why it's there and where to put it. It just bored me.

Well, I personally hated this film for having the character of Benjamin, being without a message, concept, scheme, whatever and it's failing attempts to be dramatic and serious. However, I can image that some people may find it sensible and touching. If you liked "The Other Sister" you'll probably like this one, too. I hated both.

17-year old boys shouldn't write an autobiography and if they do, it doesn't seem to be the best idea to make a film out of it.

2 out of 10.

Author: Masztaar from sweden
23 April 2003

NO this is not a good european verision of a teenage movie, first of all, its in german, and i dont like or understand that language so i had to read the subtitles, thats not an argument but i just thought you should know =) Anyways, the movie is not at all good, mostly its embarassing and its more like a movie for kids age 10-12 so they can learn how it works when youre about 16 yrs old IN GERMANY (obvioulsy), this is not at all how i was when i was 16, neither was anyone i know.. this is more like a german tv-series cut together in to a movie. Everyone just face it, theres NO european teenage movies that are good, except for maybe some comedies.

"figuring things out by yourself is the only freedom anyone really has, USE that freedom, make up your own mind"