IMDb > Screen Actors (1950) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Screen Actors More at IMDbPro »

Of great interest to film buffs--others might not be quite as impressed

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
24 May 2008

This film short was made with the cooperation of the major film studios and is one of a string of publicity shorts made about the film industry itself. This public relations film purports to show that actors are pretty much like anyone else--with normal hobbies and interests beyond the studios.

I liked this film but considering I am a huge old film buff, it isn't all that surprising. If anyone is a fan of Hollywood's golden age, then they'll probably love seeing some candid shots of the stars at play or working jobs other than acting. The only problem is that, at times, the film seemed more like publicity and I wondered just how true all these supposedly candid shots were. Was it real or just a put-on by publicity agents? I guess we'll never know.

By the way, of all the supposedly candid film clips the one that rather creeped me out was seeing Dan Duryea as a cub scout leader. For those of you who don't remember Duryea, his film roles were sort of like a combination of Steve Buscemi and Christopher Walken!!! Would anyone SERIOUSLY let this guy be alone with their kids! I am sure he was a nice guy in real life, but his persona made this seem really, really strange!

Nice For Film Buffs

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
12 April 2009

Screen Actors (1950)

*** (out of 4)

Film buffs will certainly get a kick out of this short, which tries to show how actors are just like real people. The film talks about the early days of actors when they had to travel by stagecoach and then we get to see how some famous faces like to enjoy their free time. We see Clark Gable on a farm, Lionel Barrymore writing music and we also get to see Donna Reed, Gene Autry, Joan Crawford, Donald Crisp, Bing Crosby, Ava Gardner, Greer Garson, Joel McCrae, Gene Kelly and many others. If you're a fan of film and like seeing major stars together then you'll get a kick out of this short even though the majority of the material is from other movies. We also get a brief look at how the SAG meets as well as some room donated by famous actors for those just starting out.