IMDb > The Ornate Lock (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Ornate Lock More at IMDbPro »Manichithrathazhu (original title)

One of the best Indian movies

Author: arun-kadavil from India
11 January 2007

This has got to be one of the best movies both in malayalam and in India. superb script combined with beautiful direction and acting has made this movie a treat to watch. I have watched this one numerous times..don't even remember the number. As many I was also disappointed to see its remake in other languages. I think they spoiled the beautiful concept and feel of this movie. Sobhana who got a National Award for this movie should have been given a second one after seeing the way other actress performed her role in those remakes.

Its one of the dream movies which doesn't come very often...Perfect from all points of view - story, dialogues, performance, comedy, songs and direction..

Please watch it if you haven't already.

One of the greatest Malayalam movies ever made

Author: mervkv from NJ
22 May 2005

The first half of Manichithrathazhu may be slow, but the second half becomes gripping. The amazing climax, featuring Shobana's spectacular dance with her partner, pushes this movie from a simple Malayalam thriller to the level of high art. Although the film isn't perfect--there are minor plot holes, and Mohanlal's entertaining performance goes over the top in some scenes--Manichithrathazhu is one of the best Indian movies I've seen.

After watching this movie, I couldn't believe it was directed by Fazil, the same guy who churned out overly sentimental mush like Aniyathi Pravu (1997) and shameless, cookie-cutter Hollywood remakes like Life Is Beautiful (2000). Manichithrathazhu has to be the high point of Fazil's career.

After a lifetime of avoiding most Malayalam movies like the plague, old classics like this film are turning me into a big fan of Malu films. Also, after watching his charismatic performances in films like Nadodikattu (1987), Pattana Pravesham (1988), Akkare akkare akkare (1990), and Manichithrathazhu, I find myself becoming an enthusiastic fan of Mohanlal. If you're not already a Mohanlal fan, watching Manichithrathazhu may make you one.

Skillfull story telling weaving believes and science!

Author: ashokkm from Ireland
17 September 2007

Its been some 14 years since I saw this movie, and recently I went out and bought it on DVD!

I love the way they have mixed the settings of a large traditional Kerala household, the urban legends that I can totally identify with, and how its all presented with beautiful realism and how its been provided with a scientific explanation, and more interestingly how scientific approach branches out to use a traditional technique to suit the subject in question! Such an interesting and involving topic has been handled ever so skillfully throughout the movie with a subtle thread of contextual and refreshingly original comedy, which again, fits like a glove to the storytelling!

This movie makes me proud of my Malayali tradition and background!

Excellent

Author: Shine Raj from India, Bombay
7 November 2006

This was one movie which really impressed me in 1993. Writing a review after so many years is a proof of how much sense it makes to me even today. Malayalam movies are always ahead of the rest of the country in making meaningful and realistic stories. That too on quarter of the budget a Bollywood movie is made with. This movie was a masterpiece work from Fazil. This movie also had another 6 A list directors doing diff segment of this movie, like the comedy part was done by Priyadashan. This movie was later made into a Tamil, Kannada and Telungu all which turned out to be super duper hits. Plans are in the pipeline to remake it in Hindi. But the essence of the movie is being lost in the translation. The 1993 Malayalam version is the best yet. This movie was well made and well received my all the generations of Keralites. A must watch if u like horror, thriller or friction movies.

A film which cannot be remade with the same quality!!!

Author: hari_krhs from India
12 August 2006

I was in high school when i saw it first in theater and now after 13 years i still enjoy this movie. I was very much disappointed when i saw it's remake which was far from the original work. Its filled with rubbish comedy scenes and awful performance of characters. Shobhana who won the national award for the role did an excellent performance. I know those who loves the remake will disagree me but you know what is the truth, don't you? I am not going to criticize the remake cause it may hurt someone's mind and i am also not interested in controversies anyway. If anybody is still there who didn't watch this movie please do it. This movie is worth watching, don't miss it!!!

Coolest Psycho Thriillers India has produced

Author: Ren (renjith_here) from India
5 May 2003

This movie is a perfect mix of intelligent comedy and intense suspense. A superb climax which made my day when i saw this movie as a kid 10 years ago. The acting is excellent though i felt Mohanlal overdid some of his scenes. Easily one of the best movies Kerala has produced.

Best movie I have seen

Author: amith_sripad from India
23 May 2006

Manichitratazu is a very great Classical movie which I have ever seen. The portrayal of human psychology is marvelous. The movie plot is thrilling, mystic and powerful. Fantastic performances by all actors like Mohan Lal, Shobana, Vinaya Prasad, Suresh Gopi, Innocent, Nedumudi Venu, etc. Shobana's dancing skills is excellent and also good powerful acting by her and she rightfully deserves the national award. Not boring even if watched 3 -4 times.

I am especially moved as to how the story writer has sketched this story. Really marvelous. He and the Director and the whole team deserves applause.

It is engaging

Author: Roshan Thomas from US
25 October 2000

It is a well made movie with some excellent performances from Shobana, Mohanlal and others including Suresh Gopi, Innocent. The movie tries to touch our fears and empathies about Ghosts and such other superstitious beliefs which is prevalent all over India. The movie is a story of a woman from such a back ground and how it impacts her subconsciously leading to terrifying manifestations of dual character or multiple personality. The movie begins at lighter note with lot of humor and starts becoming more and more serious towards the end. The climax is one of the best things in the Movie. Shobana got a National award for the portrayal of this woman. Mohanlal has a strong presence and role in the movie. Humor element is added by Innocent. It is an quite engaging movie.

A rare masterpiece

Author: anupasokan from India
25 May 2006

One Excellent masterpiece. This is one of the rare movies where the story can be interpreted in two ways. One way is to believe that Ganga is possessed by Nagavalli the dancer's spirit. The other is to assume that she is suffering from multiple personality disorder. The movie has arguments for both. The psychiatrist's explanations and predictions and his ability to solve the problem leaves most of the audience believing in the MCD theory. But Nagavalli fans point to the famous dance scene where Ganga's eyes change colour, and the scenes where she breaks objects like the clock which seemed quiet impossible to most. This reinforces the possession theory. Probably this is the first Indian movie to feature MCD. Highlights of the movie are the scene where Ganga gradually evolves into Nagavalli and her Malayalam changing into chaste Tamil, and the bharatanatyam dance sequence. It also has an unique song sung in a sad tone: 'pazham thamizh pattu'. Urban legends say the song's vaadi raga is unlucky, almost like gloomy Sunday and macbeth. Although made more than 13 years ago, it still glues you to the seat. two remakes were done on the movie. the kannada version was good though it didn't match the original. A tamil version was poor and twisted.

A unique blend of Nail biting drama,Suspense,horror,Thrilling sequences and breathtakingly stunning climax.........

Author: Harikrishnan B from India
17 October 2004

Suresh Gopi returns to his native place along with his wife Shobana after a long time to meet his uncle Nedubudi Venu.They decide to stay in their family mansion which remains unoccupied owing to the fears of being haunted by an old dancer, Nagavalli.Nagavalli was murdered there by the king years ago for having an affair with another court singer.Shobana becomes fascinated on seeing the palace that she purposefully unlocks the room that had been once been the room of Nagavalli. Soon a series of ghostly events cut loose and fear begins to grip the family.Mohanlal acts the role of Dr.Sunny who comes to the aid of his buddy Suresh Gopi and solves the puzzle to discover there is more than what he had imagined to be solved.The movie offers an ideal comedy track from late Kuthiravattam Pappu, Innocent, Ganesh and Sudheesh. Mohanlal leaves a memorable mark. However the full credit goes to Shobana for her stupendous acting. This may be the best of Fazil movies and by far the best suspense thriller in history of malayalam cinema.

For those thriller crazy maniacs, this is the ideal movie. Go grab ur copy of DVD for this evergreen classic.