IMDb > 100 Girls (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
100 Girls

100 Girls More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The boy next door, exploring... women.

Author: Veronika from Sweden
5 January 2005

This movie has its obvious drawbacks. For instance, pretty much all the women/girls in the movie are very attractive. Even the ugly girls aren't really that ugly. Then we have the quasi/anti-feminism message, which will probably annoy people. And there are lots of stereotypes and clichés throughout the movie. In fact, the movie is actually _based_ on stereotypes, mainly those concerning the roles and rules of gender and courtship.

But all that is sorta the point! (Except the "all girls are pretty"-bit, which annoys me.) So, if you're not too hung up on the flaws, "100 Girls" is actually rather funny! Laughing out loud isn't hard at all. The main character, Matthew, is sorta cute, in a completely undate-able sorta way. (Nice guys do finish last. Sorry!) The girls are neurotic and predictable. But the story isn't _too_ predictable either. (After all, _you_ try making an original High School movie! Iz not that easy I tell you.)

But this banality is probably the point of the movie, and it works as a whole. Even if you don't really care whether Matthew ever finds his lost mystery-love or not, it's still entertaining to watch his quest for love, and to hear the sometimes utterly blunt facts of life and genderhood that are spelled along the way. (Yes, most young men do find it stressful to hit on girls. Really? And yes, men and women may have some difficulties communicating with each other, because they have different experiences and different goals.)

So, in summary: A round of applause for banality and simple stories, as long as they're delivered with warm humor and jokes about the human anatomy!

Not a bad little film

Author: Boy_Anya from Ny, Ny
1 March 2003

Sometimes you want to watch a film that makes you think a bit...but not too much...makes you laugh and just veg out and watch. This is that film. It's not a brilliant film. It doesn't make you want to change the world. It was just cute and fun and has a happy ending....what more could you want when you're sitting back flipping through channels on a boring saturday afternoon?

I generally liked it

Author: sweetgrl313 from nj
30 June 2003

I actually like 100 girls, it tried to show you the inner mind of how a guy thinks and probably not all guys think like that but i think a few deep down. Its pretty much all about a guy who met a girl in the elevator and fell in love but unfortunately never saw her face. It seems a little unlikely but who knows it could happen. I give the movie a 8/10 it had some good humor and laughs and it did keep my interest up the WHOLE movie. Also it just seemed like a good time, I would recommend this to anyone!

A fun little college campus romp for the guys

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
7 April 2002

"100 Girls" is a slightly naive comedy romp about a college freshman who has sex with an unknown coed on an elevator during a blackout and then spends the entire run time searching the girls' dorm for his "Cinderella". Tucker is at the center of this fun little romp which is chock full of babes but has little nudity, no raunch, and some heart. Unsophisticated but fun, creative though cliche, "100 Girls" aptly dignifies women without deifying them during the self-narrated dissertation on the difference between the sexes. Most likely to be enjoyed by college age men and older guys, like me, who remember their college years with nostalgia.

Thinks it's the cleverest movie ever

Author: solariumictv from United States
27 August 2007

Other comments have called this movie "intelligent" and claim that although our plucky lead is obviously too verbose to be believable, it's still a refreshing portrayal of the college-male psyche. Unfortunately, it takes a little more than a well-versed guy who has some strong opinions about men and women to forge a good romantic comedy.

Either a rom-com is total fluff, in which men and women speak in bouncy blips of whitewashed cuteness, and everything predictably turns out OK ("The Holiday," "Because I Said So," or any other nonsense) OR it's the smarter kind, with men and women speaking like real men and women, and the relationship between them portrayed a little more real as well (i.e. "When Harry Met Sally" or "Knocked Up"). You have to pick one -- it can't be both ways. A movie in which young men sit around waxing sexuality needs a realistic plot to compliment its didactic "insights" into the real world of men and women, something like "Clerks" did. In this tripe, Matt's alleged brilliant perception is juxtaposed with an absurd, simplistic plot and the most one-dimensional stock characters since "Porky's." Are we supposed to take it seriously or not? The worst part is that while Matt's insight is totally subjective and problematic, it's presented as scripture with no one questioning it. At least when Randall runs his month with all of his crazy theories, Dante (and others) present discord. In this one, especially when so many of his opinions are presented as voice-over, there's no one to question it (i.e. he warns us early to always be wary of girls who don't wear makeup, and any guy who has a single female friend is left shaking his head in awe). We don't get any help from the female characters, who either smile and marvel at Matt's dogmatic spew (i.e. Wendy) or argue with him initially but then eventually come around (i.e. Arlene). He never grows or changes, and since his opinions are the only interesting thing about the movie (given that there's barely a plot), we're left feeling flat.

I just can't deal with a movie whose writer apparently feels like the best way to endear us to his lead is to have Matt speak in a laundry list of angry-loner-guy sexist drivel and snarky "questions of life" like the ones that were floating around the internet circa 1998 (I was half expecting him to charm some girl by asking, "so, why don't sheep shrink when it rains?"). Or maybe it'd be better to make us like him by having him sneak into girls' rooms under false auspices, dress up like a girl and lie to them, and never pay for either. Or maybe he should get all self-righteous and call his roommate sexist and then display exactly the same closed-mindedness that he condemns. Try not to be annoyed when he vents his anti-feminist "everyone is a sexist, guys and girls" idiocy in front of his demonized women's studies professor and ALL THE GIRLS IN THE CLASS immediately applaud him. Lucky Matt, the one guy who understands, lost somewhere in a mindless movie full of mindless girls.

2nd Time Around

Author: anitatanky
14 June 2003

I had to scan the imdb for other users who realized this was the exact same movie as Eight Days A Week, to make sure I was not inadvertently plagiarizing someone else's comment. Several others commenting on the imdb noticed the same thing.

The screen writer of this movie made good use of his work...he used the same screen play twice! Take one movie you made, but change the character from a high school student to a college one, use the same voice over technique, use the same dialogue but change some of it around and have a thesaurus handy, even add a friend who is obsessed with doing odd things to his genitalia and voicing his perspectives regarding women, and what do you get? Two teen/young adult movies for the work of one!

I found both movies enjoyable though. So I am not necessarily criticizing his work. Heck, I might be even a little jealous that he was able to sale the same screen play twice. I guess we all have done it at one time or another...take some work for school or work and use it as a template for some other work without being very original the second time around. But again, I more or less liked the movie, or both, movies, which is really the same movie. Yikes!!! What does that say about me?

Revelating

Author: Andrew King from Bucharest, Romania
1 June 2004

When this movie first appeared i wanted to watch it with my friends, laugh a lot, maybe make out with my girlfriend, i don't know. Still i never got the chance to do this, so i saw it just now alone in my dorm room. I must say that it was pretty much different from what i expected. I thought it would be something like "American Pie", or "Van Wilder", but it turned out to be more than just that. This movie really made me think about certain aspects regarding men and women, and i found out that much of the stuff mentioned is true and very well sustained by arguments. Overall it is a movie that gives a young person much to think about.

Dawsons creek dialogue... C movie script.

Author: spacefoo from United Kingdom
14 May 2007

on the plus side, there are some interesting lines and the plot was semi original to the point you wanted to find out who the girl in the elevator was. So it kept you watching, i'll give it that- it also attempts to tackle in as fair a way as possible the relationship between a man and a woman, plus peoples insecurities. Thats as much as i'll give it.

The main character seemed to be taken from the Dawsons Creek book of characters, he spoke in ridiculous dialogue of philosophies and attempted psycho-analysis of the sexes at every given moment. Whether he's in a girls panties drawer or playing fusball. He didn't come across as enlightening, he came across as self-absorbed and cringeingly annoying. Don't worry by the end of the film, he solved men and womens insecurities; brought people together; arrested the evil rapist man; outed his best friend (the girl from 'Alice Mack'); was a woman for a few days and found out how 'violated' he/she felt when looked at by a guy, and found enlightening things about women; single handedly conquered a female studies class- due to enlightening the world that there being too many 'isms' in the world; saved his room mate from his insecurity; and declared to 100women in a dorm about what a perfect boyfriend he'd be- making them all call his name oh and found his girl in the elevator....all in a days work for our conquering hero. Thats basically as simplistic as it got- he was all things to all people-literally. This move was ridiculously over simplistic and infuriatingly self-absorbed, but i guess you gotta give the guy an A for effort... This is a move to cure insomnia and nothing else.

What is wrong with this Michael Davis?

Author: spudgeek (msfitzgerald72@yahoo.com) from United States
25 August 2002

A horrible follow-up to the horrible Eight Days a Week. Both films share the same basic idea: Gorgeous women will swoon for a boring, 98-pound weakling. The beautiful women will go out with this geek because he treats them with a modicum of common courtesy, unlike the muscular Neanderthals they had been dating before. Although said geek pretends to care about the women, he only appreciates them for their bodies. Yet because the geek is portrayed as "sensitive" every woman in the area falls for this fool (as if guys who think this way aren't a dime a dozen in real life). It's the usual double-standard: guy falls girl because she's beautiful, girl falls for unattractive guy because he's the least rude male. The film pretends to be sympathetic towards women but ends up being utterly condescending. After seeing two of this writer-director's witless films that have gone straight to cable, I am wondering how on earth he gets them greenlit.

A sexist bait & switch

Author: cthulhuriffic (masonr@cox.net) from Pensacola, FL, USA
15 June 2003

WARNING: This review contains some spoilers.

There's a few funny moments in this film (the anti-intimacy shield made me chuckle), but come on. Who does Michael Davis think he's kidding?

100 Girls is one of the most self-congratulatory pieces of misogynist drivel I've seen in years. That may seem a bit harsh; after all, sexism in movies is nothing new, nor is the tendency of "romantic comedies" to confuse sexism with sexiness. But 100 Girls goes several steps beyond that, and subjects its audience to a series of misogynist sermons from its main character, Matt. But since his tirades are delivered to us as syrupy, croaking-voice monologues from a sweet nerd, we're not supposed to notice that this film has an agenda, and an ugly one at that.

Writer/director Davis pulls a bait-and-switch, juxtaposing Matt with the two other male voices in the film: Rod, the misogynist roommate; and Crick the abusive boyfriend. By portraying Matt as the sympathetic alternative to these two dysfunctional men, Davis asks us to believe that Matt and his POV are enlightened, sweet and lovable. Yet, from Matt's mouth ooze the most retrograde nuggets of alleged sexual insight, informing us that men simply can't help themselves, and that women apparently have magic powers against

which us guys are hapless and helpless. This, in the context of Matt's indefensible behavior; he consistently deceives the 100 girls, gaining their trust under false pretenses, breaking into their rooms and violating their privacy in various and sundry other ways. And finally, when his ruse is revealed, we're supposed to believe that none of these "girls" -- not one of them -- is offended or angry at his criminal escapades.

Matt's cross-dressing sequence is quite appropriate, as it's symbolic of what Davis is doing with this movie. 100 Girls is a puerile exercise in preachy "nice guy" sexism, disguised as a girl-friendly sex comedy. And just to make sure we're not missing the point, Davis tosses in a straw-woman "femiNazi" women's studies teacher for Matt to ridicule and rally the girls against. Yeah, whatever.

If you've ever complained that women don't date more "nice guys," then pay close attention to Matt's actions in 100 Girls. He puts up a sweet and cuddly front, but his criminal behavior, however cluelessly committed, speaks for itself. He sees women, not as people, but as a playground in which his ego is meant to flower. If all the "nice guys" with a datelessness complaint act like this particular "nice guy," then it's no wonder they can't get dates. They simply don't deserve them.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]