IMDb > "Dragon Ball Z" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dragon Ball Z"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dragon Ball Z" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Greatest Anime Ever Made; Hands Down

Author: Zarbon from Planet Namek
29 September 2011

This is, without a shred of doubt, my favorite anime of all time... the story is vivid and clever.

Plot: I'm going to be quite honest... the plot's rather simplistic in terms of storyline. However, the characters have strong mannerism; there's great emphasis on development. Basically, there's some dilemma being faced... people join forces and battle this threat; Also, the search for Dragon Balls places heroes and villains against one another; each having their own desires for obtaining the balls.

Story: The essence of the series is to convey a solid storyline, intertwined with sheer brutality... well-animated fighting... and emotional sequences... there's a commonly seen pattern of events building to climactic, pulse-pounding revelations.

Music: I can say one thing about English version music: it's bad. They're plain techno tracks that don't match the great emotion... with minor exceptions... most are lame. However, the DVD releases have included the original Japanese version music, which is a GREAT positive; those extravagant tracks are the sheer saving grace as the show's BGM. There's such emphasis placed on each strike of a limb, every twitching nerve; everything perfectly coincides. Bravo to Shunsuke Kikuchi for writing these brilliant pieces; especially the likes of "Kyoufu no Ginyu Tokusentai," and "Tenka Wakeme No Chou-Kessen"... examples that bring the scenes to life.

Battles: Some conflicts are rather long and tedious. I didn't enjoy the scuffle between Gohan and Cell, for example. That two-way Kamehameha was quite annoying. Nor was it enjoyable to witness the childishness of a candy battling Super Buu... that's rather lame, to say the least. However, there's enormously brutal instances littered with bone-cracking, back-breaking action that makes up for it. Personally, my favorites are, respectively:

1. Zarbon versus Vegeta - Zarbon transforms into a demonic beast and completely dominates Vegeta with a systematic ferocious head-butt combination, gripping choke holds, and a devastating pile-driver that sends Vegeta plummeting.

2. Recoome versus Vegeta, Goku, Gohan, and Krillin - Recoome tosses Vegeta like a rag doll, incapacitates Krillin with a single kick, and unleashes an array of blasts against Gohan before paralyzing him, and is in turn downed by Goku's swift hit.

3. Android 19 versus Vegeta and Goku - Android 19 takes the opportunity to savagely suck Goku's energy as a heart virus weakens the warrior... until Vegeta intervenes, proceeding to shred off 19's arms and relentlessly decapitate him.

4. Spopovich versus Videl - Videl's attack generates no effect on the muscle-bound Majin-inflicted Spopovich, who mutilates Videl using bone-smashing maneuvers.

Characters: They're all well-layered, exquisitely designed, and encompass radiant back-stories. Ultimately, my favorite characters are villains. In particular, Zarbon and Dodoria; they redefined the substance of villainy and are perfect plot devices due to butchering the Namekian warriors, elders, and children. In essence, they portray brutality; the more treacherous a character, the more I'd find them captivating. Their suggestion to Frieza to eliminate the Saiyan race pretty much sets the entire story in motion. They meet a grisly fate... which makes me love them even more. There's others I love, the likes of which include Cui, The Ginyu Force, Android 19, Spopovich, Dabura, Pui Pui, Nappa, Raditz, and Frieza... but Zarbon and Dodoria remain my favorites throughout the series run.

Sagas: The series is divided into three primary sagas: The Frieza debacle, the Cell scuffle, and the Buu era... all three have redeeming qualities... my least favorite's the Cell Games, where the main antagonist challenges the main protagonists to a tournament (I found this idea rather dull in comparison to the rest; it was less engrossing in terms of ferocity)... I was rather neutral for the Buu saga in terms of progression since the main antagonist was a bumbling goo monster... fine for children maybe, but for the serious viewer, not very appealing... Ultimately, I found the Frieza saga to be best, beginning with the Saiyan conflict between Raditz, Nappa and Vegeta... to the three-way guerrilla war making a battlefield of Namek, where Zarbon, Dodoria, and Cui take on Vegeta, who later joins forces with the protagonists to take down the Mercenary Squadron of the Ginyu Force... and the eventual rise of the Super Saiyan, Goku... who faces Lord Frieza to halt the tyrant's threat. This was Akira Toriyama's masterpiece; the epitome of the series at its zenith. Of course, like many series, the ending couldn't live up to prior expectations... it was rather low-key and without rising tension.

Moral: Everyone takes something away when they watch it; be it last impressions or a complete understanding of the piece... I have obtained, to my knowledge, the best viewing experience an anime can offer. Giving mankind such an honorable taste of morals, it remains unparalleled. The actions of subduing one's own greed and desires to find a common goal, and sometimes choosing to do things one would detest for the overall betterment makes this series genuinely riddled with moral overdose.

Overall: As a highlight to anime history, the series should be judged on all levels; not its eventual decline. The Frieza saga portrays Toriyama's vision as he had originally grafted it, without altering anything based on fan preference. It was the initial concept to which the series unfolded; The struggle of good versus evil portrays the wicked with emotion; Frieza has feelings of his own, and the audience has the chance to comprehend him; his fears and his agony; and come to an understanding with the decisions he made out of his own fear of someday meeting a warrior who'd surpass him. And from Goku's perspective; to give into one's anger and become the thing you hate or remain oblivious to cruelty... the definition of a hero's quest to stand against the evil that destroyed his race, his planet, and the very struggle to sustain the love he's gained and contain the silent thunder that boils within.

The 2nd installment of Akira Toriyama's iconic anime about the life and adventure of Goku, earth's greatest defender.

Author: talarisw from United States
11 September 2013

I'm no expert on anime aka Japanese animation but I like the genre. Dragonball Z is by far my favorite anime. Toriyama's dragonball saga are the king of anime. It's no doubt the most iconic anime ever or at least in America. I think Akira is a very talented writer and is master at developing stories and creating characters but I do think that he sometime disregard characters and plot points to suit his story. Also a lot of people say how the fight sequences are way too long, which is true but they're also well crafted. This is different from it's predecessor dragonball but makes for a good sequel. I like how in the dragonball series we get to see Goku, his friends and family grow up unlike most cartoon characters like Charlie Brown and the Simpsons who never age. In dragonball we see Goku as a kid, in Dragonball Z(dbz) we see Goku as an adult and dad and in Dragonball GT we see Goku as an old man and granddad. I like how dbz is split up in sagas then seasons and I think that's the best way to review it. The series begins with the "Saiyan Saga" that takes place 7 years after dragonball. The star of the series is Goku a kind-hearted martial art expert who lives in the woods with his wife Chi-Chi and his son Gohan(named after his step dad "grand pa" Gohan) and he meets his old friends from dragonball like Bulma, she is one of my favorite characters and possibly the 2nd most important character in the series. Krillin, Goku's best friend and comic relief. And Master Roshi, Goku's and Krillin's former martial art teacher and pervert. Then we meet earth's biggest threat up until this point, the Saiyans an race of ruthless, bloodthirsty alien warriors who act as mercenaries, invading planets and destroying it for other aliens. Thus, we meet one of my favorite villains from dbz, Raditz. Who comes to earth looking for his younger brother, Kakorot who is Goku! So we find out that Goku's an alien. Later we meet the super strong Nappa and Vegeta, the prince of all saiyans who will become the breakout star of the show. But the good thing is their home planet was destroyed 20 years ago so only 4 are left but earth is still in great danger from the 3. This is the best saga in the series, I love the plot twist that Goku's a saiyan, it fits perfectly. I like how someone as good natured as Goku could come from a race of brutal killers. The saiyans make for great villains. I love Raditz, he's ruthless and his sonic the hedgehog like hair style is awesome. It's a shame he pretty much disappears after this saga, I wish he would of came back or at least be mentioned in future sagas. I also love Vegeta who is a really menacing villain and who's more evil then the others. But I don't like how Akira disregards Piccolo's(a villain from dragonball) back-story. He was Piccolo Jr. the son of the evil Piccolo, who's spirit lives within him but all of that is forgotten as Akira turns him into one of the good guys. Next is the "Namek saga" where Bulma, Krillin, and Gohan go into outer space to planet Namek, there they meet Vegeta and worst yet his boss, Frieza an evil planet conquer who has the reputation of being the most powerful being in the universe. Frieza is my favorite villain in the series, he's like a cross between Satan & Adolph Hitler. He's the most important villain in the story and I like his right hand man, Zarbon. In the "Ginyu Force saga" we meet Frieza's special forces who are a great group of comical but deadly warriors. In the "Frieza saga" Goku comes to Namek and faces off against Frieza and we get to see Frieza's true power and Goku turns into a "super saiyan" and defeats him. This one goes on forever, it's way too long but still great to watch. In the "Trunks saga" we see Frieza is brought back to life by his father, the evil King Cold. They come to earth but are killed by Trunks, Vegeta's son from the future. This one starts off good but I don't like how quickly they killed off Frieza but I like the introduction of Frieza's father but they don't explain much about him like why is he called king? and they said he was stronger then his son but they never showed it. I like Trunks but I don't like how Vegeta went from being pure evil to a good guy with a bad attitude, didn't make sense to me. In the "android saga" we meet half human half robots killers. I like Android 17 & 18 who in another time line wrecked havoc. I like them because they're teenagers out to have fun not conquer but they're idea of fun is mayhem. In the "cell saga" we meet a special android who's made up of the cells of great fighters. I like him because he's cool, sophisticated and calm. But by this time we get too many "super saiyans" with Goku, Vegeta, Gohan and Trunks all becoming "super sayains". In the final saga, "Boo saga" we meet an indestructible villain, Boo. The saga goes on for too long but I like the 3 Boos, baby boo, evil boo and kid boo. Unfortunately some of the characters from dragonball like Yamcha, Tien, Chazu, Parr, olong and Launch get overshadowed by the super saiyans and the villains. I love the comical moments. The fight scenes are the best ever any where! Goku is one of the greatest heroes ever! DBZ and it's predecessor dragonball are my favorite anime of all-time.

One word to describe it: OUTRAGEOUS!

Author: Ashley (BluEyedChild54@aol.com) from Fairborn, OH
6 November 2002

Ok, ok, so I may be biased because DBZ may be one of my favorite shows of all time, and if not my favorite Anime`- EVER! But who cares? I love this show. And I loved Dragon Ball (although I must say that the American dub of Dragon Ball is for more of the 11-under crowd if you ask me) Now, allow me to tell you my testimony of how I came to love the Dragon Ball series....

When I was in Kindergarten-first grade or so, I saw my first episode of Dragon Ball. I was sick and home from school, and it was airing on Fox Kids I believe. It came on after Bannana's in Pajamas. (God save my soul, I hated that show.) Well, I've been one who has followed and practiced Martial Arts my whole life, and since I was a huge fan of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (and since I was sick in bed) I decided to watch Dragon Ball. I laughed, and smiled, and of course enjoyed it. I can't tell you exactly what I remember, Master Roshi and his island come to mind at best. Well, over the years I skipped through the episodes, never exactly becoming "hooked" and die hard. That wouldn't be for another few good years. In 5th grade, my friends were Role Playing Dragon Ball Z during recess (it had just started to air around that time.) Of course, I wanted to role play with them, but didn't know-or remember- any female characters. They had me play as Bulma. All that came to mind was blue hair (and one of my friends complained of me playing Bulma because they had to play Yamucha. Go figure) Years still went by and it wasn't until around the 6th grade did I start watching. Over the summer I'd be wtaching Frieza or Garlic Jr. reruns, and my younger cousin and his friend would make fun of the show. (I tell you now: DBZ isn't just about people screaming at the top of their lugs with beyond steroid possible muscles and beams of light shooting from their bodies.) And when the time came of the Android/Cell saga, I WAS OFFICIALLY HOOKED!!!!!! DBZ is the first show I've come to obsess over, and even though I am a 15 y/o female, I don't care. If fighting and mountains blowing up appeals to me, then too bad!!!!!! DBZ ROCKS!!!

P.S: Like I said in my above comment about screaming and muscles and lights, it is beyond that. The show talks a lot about courage, friendship, and loyalty. Though the American edited version may not be AS good as the Japanese version, I still find it great. And it may take a while to understand the principles of DBZ if you start watching in the middle of a saga, but keep watching- it may take time (like me.)

Akira Toriyama has definitely created a classic.

Simply one of the best Anime series out there

Author: ArcPaladin from United States
20 May 2006

This anime cartoon in my opinion, is better than any other cartoon I seen. I still watch it whenever I get the chance to. It's character development and the plots of the whole DBZ story is superb, the animation is full of action, and every ending of an episode leaves you wondering what may happen next. It also contains a bit of humor as well as subplots. When I first seen it in 1996, I was overwhelmed at how much action and comedy was fit into one anime series. I found Goku and Vegeta to be serious but a bit funny in between, and the roles of Gohan and Piccolo weren't shabby either. It has a whole saga inside which makes it worth watching.

Overall, I watched this cartoon more than all the other cartoons put together. I like it even better than Inuyasha, which is also good. My favorite episode is when Goku finally becomes a Super Saiyen, and Frieza later gets cut in half by a flying disk. You may have to watch this series from the beginning to get the full meaning of the story and what is going on, but if you see this on Cartoon Network or any other channel, watch it! Don't miss out! It is definitely worth seeing for the eye.

An Amazing Story...

Author: lucas-42 from Texas
30 April 2002

I'm a late blooming DBZ fan, but I've already seen almost the entire series! LOL! I will tell you the story of how I became a die-hard fan, and why you'll be VERY sorry if you haven't already!

It was around the year 1999 that I first came across DBZ. I think the Namek saga was airing on Cartoon Network. My friend was big on the show (though he had very little knowledge of it's origins) and forced me to watch it myself. I made fun of the show every-time he watched it. I thought it was corny, cheesy and the voice-acting was stupid.

HOWEVER, somewhere along the way in the summer of 2001 he told me they were re-airing the Android saga on CN. Well, I started the old usual comments, making fun of it. But then.. I actually became interested in the story. After a few episodes, I was hooked. You see, the story of Dragonball is more than you think. It covers over 500 episodes in it's entire run over three different animated series.

I began watching with the Android/Cell sagas. I watched them to the end and then watched the Frieza saga. Then I watched the Saiyan and Namek Saga. Now here we are today at the Buu saga. What better time to become a DBZ fan than now! The last 54 episodes of the show will air this fall, and that's something NOT to be missed.

The show never has an ending to a story. It's a continous "to be continued" storyline that grows and grows. Characters have time to develop into interesting relationships among them, making moments where someone dies or is hurt even more emotional.

It tells the story of Goku (son Goku in Japan) who is an incredible man born with an amazing fighting talent. His strength never ceases and he becomes stronger and stronger. He is kind and pure of heart.. a friend to even his enemies at times. He is the central point of DBZ, but not the only point.

Throughout the series, he learns of his Saiyan heritage, finding that he was born of an alien human-like race that has an ability to concentrate energy called Kai (or ki) to create energy blasts, fly, etc. They are born with a natural instinct to fight, and conquer entire planets to sale to the highest bidder.

That is only the beginning of DBZ, there are 200 episodes or so of a previous series called Dragonball that explain Goku's childhood-into-adult hood. DBZ covers him from his early twenties or so all the way until he's over 50 years old.

The show has sparked 13 movies and two specials.. and much more. Some of the movies are dubbed in english, while others are only available in Japanese subtitled versions.

ANYWAY, this show is specatacular, and takes forever to explain every aspect of the storyline. The ORIGINAL Japanese version has much better music and voice acting, I'll admit. And the English versions (at least early episodes) were edited to death, the show still holds what makes it magic.

The beginning of the series will re-air on Cartoon Network as of May 2002. I suggest you begin watching. Do NOT let the animation, or the voice-acting, or bad editing of this first saga shake you away. The show takes time to understand and become interested in, but once your there, you'll be hooked.

There are over 290 episodes of DBZ, and the animation gets much better, as does the storyline. Just keep watching, trust me... your gonna love it!

Best show in the world.

Author: oblivionass from United States
6 September 2006

Wow this is not only the best anime of all time its the best show of all time! I have liked this show since I was in 3rd grade absolutely amazing show. I love it not only for the action but for the emotional scenes in it are very well done, its definitely got a great storyline to back up its fabulous action. The only thing that can get annoying about this show is a lot of the stuff is drawn out too long but hey everything has its good and bad parts. The show starts off a little slow but trust me it gets good once Freeza saga hits. Also the music that Funimation's Bruce Falconer is a true artist wow I was blown away at how good the music is. The music really makes you feel how emotional the scene is. Its like the music puts you in the situation its so good.

Greatest cartoon/anime ever created

Author: mikey310192 from United Kingdom
2 September 2006

Dragonball z is probably the most entertaining of all anime. I thought it was filled with action, entertainment and different and well thought plots. I loved it as a kid, and still do. I watch it every now and then. Dragonball z is comprised of different 'seasons' known as 'Sagas. There were originally 4, but they were divided into 'sub-sagas'. They are: Saiyan/Vegeta Saga Frieza saga :

Namek saga

Captain Ginyu

Frieza Saga (The main battle)

Garlic Jr. Saga

World Tournament saga

Majin Buu Saga

Fusion Saga

Kid buu saga

OUt of all the above, i thought that the Frieza Saga was the best by miles. Frieza was and is the greatest villain, not out of his power, but of his appearance and personality. He is in a strange way, polite when killing his victims mercifully. He is in fact a very important character in DBZ (dragonball z) because he is why the saiyans were sent to earth, and why their planet was destroyed etc. Overall i would give dragonball z 99.99% vote. The 0.01% being that it was a little corny at times. But it is and always will be the greatest anime ever! I also thought that Dragonball GT was terrible, it ruined the dragonball name! It was childish, aimed at the lower ages (7-10) when the original DBZ was for 13/14+ But dbz will always live on...

THE GREATEST ACTION CARTOON ON ALL TIME!!!

Author: lyndale-2 from Eagle Idaho
7 July 2000

Frankly I demand that the animation industries crown DragonBallZ "THE GREATEST ACTION CARTOON OF ALL TIME!!!" A 10, a perfect 10 is what I give this BEYOND AWESOME TV SHOW! There is nothing like it in the world! No one else has thought up the kind of animation stunts they put on here before! If HollyWood tried to make this a live action film, the Special Effects company's would have a run for their money! This is red hot stuff from Japan, and it's steaming! The trick is, you must see the right episode. If you see a dull episode, then it's no good. But if you catch an episode with TONS of action, I promise you, "You're in for a real treat!" This show is very addictive, why? Because EVERY SINGLE EPISODE IS A "TO BE CONTINUED". There is no end! You pick up where you left off, just like a Soap Opera. Except this is not boring like Soap Opera's are. (No offense to Soap Opera lovers) I suggest this to the family groups. This is great for both kids and adults alike. (Though it can get too violent for the little kids. However it's a "PG" rating show) I highly suggest that you see the "Frieza Saga" since those are the best episodes. See it on "Cartoon Network" or rent them at your local video store. I'm not allowed to say too much more about this except for my good critisizm. As you can see, I am a true fan. And I wouldn't lie to you if I didn't think you wouldn't enjoy this a little. Just make sure you see the right episodes.

Coolest Cartoon Show Ever Made!

Author: r-downey1 from Belfast, Northern Ireland UK
13 March 2005

Hi there I first discovered this show back in early 1999 I guess when it was broadcast on cartoon network and I just fell in love with it. I'll admit when I first saw the adverts on TV I thought the show looked just like another one of those stupid over the top action cartoons like Pokemon and Digimon etc and did not expect much from the series. However I forced myself to watch a few episodes of the series when my friends all told me how great it was. So when the reruns of series one where being shown again on cartoon network in one hour specials I sat-down to see what the fuss was all about at school. It of course did take me to watch a few episodes to get really into the plot and so on but by the time I'd seen several or more episodes of this amazing action show at the most, well that was it I was truly hooked and from that very moment I was a true Dragon Ball Z fan and I only wished that I had listened to my friends advise write from the start. Utter brilliance that was the only word to describe this cartoon. Not surprising really considering it came out of Japan who are master cartoonists.

Dragon Ball Z told the story of a young earth man called Goku who in the first ever episode learns from a strange visitor from outer space who turns out to be his evil older brother Raditiz that he was born on another planet home to the strongest race of people in the universe, the mighty saiyans. Who long ago sent him to earth to destroy all the living creatures so they could take it over and sell it on the Galactic Market headed by the ruthless Emepour Frezia, but due to a head injury Goku suffered when he was a small child had forgotten his mission so his brother was sent to see why he had failed. After defeating his evil brother in battle Goku and his friends here of two other far more powerful Saiyans warriors ( Nappa and Vegeta ) who are now on their way to earth. One of which turns out to be one of the central characters in the whole show, the saiyan prince Vegeta. Now when we first see Vegeta he appears to be nothing more than an evil killer, but in later episodes he joins forces with Goku and his team of heroes in order to over come many far more evil and powerful bad guys like the evil Freiza, Cell and Majin Buu etc. Goku and his son Gohan are the true heroes of Dragon Ball Z but my favourite was always Vegeta for some reason as he always took the fighting and being a saiyan very close to his heart plus he also delivered most of this shows most memorable quotes and lines. When he and Goku fight along side each other they are truly an unstoppable force of good. Also my favourite villain would have to have been Frieza as he was one villain who we all loved to hate.

Even though all the battles do last a long time that to me made the show more real and like other fans on this page have said it was made indeed like a soap opera which kept-ed on going for over several years. I'm very glad to see that I'm not the only huge fan of this classic cartoon after reading lots of other good fan comments on this page but at the same time there are a few people who just do not get it, well what I have to say to them is if you want to give off about animated series then go and badmouth Pokemon or Digimon the true most overrated and silly shows of this century and leave this exciting,touching and breathtaking series be.

I loved Dragon Ball Z and wished it would never end but I still watch the reruns when ever I get the time when there on the TV. I have never watched a cartoon so well made or heart touching in my life. I would overall give all the Dragon Ball Z sagas 10/10 stars. Truly Brilliant!

Hopefully it'll all be made into a real life movie trilogy someday!

DAMN GOOD SHOW!!

Author: SeanSmith from United States
30 May 2004

I have been watching DBZ for a while now. Of coarse it has its flaws, but every great show does!! It has action, suspense (if you watched episode by episode on Cartoon Network) love, and character development. When people say FUNimation ruined DBZ, from your point of view they might have. With me, whatever version I see first, that is the one I enjoy the most. I prefer the English version over the original Japanese version, just because I saw the dub before the Japanese version. But, I will watch the original version and keep an open mind. I respect everyones opinion and understand where they are coming from. Although, I can NOT tolerate people who talk shit about a show they probably don't understand. (Dragonball Z is a very complex TV show, if you don't see all, or a lot, of the episodes, your lost!) So, what I'm trying to say is If you don't like a show or movie, keep it to yourself. The whole world doesn't need to know what you don't like.

Just to set the record straight: The first 64 episodes of DBZ were done by a company in Vancouver, Canada. Not the Fort Worth company FUNimation.

It was SABAN who changed the show more than FUNimation. Thats why they sounded like Power Rangers (Somebody said they sounded like them) And, whoever said this show doesn't teach you anything? This show used a very vivid vocabulary. They said lines like "But to no avale" Children could learn more watching DBZ than in a vocab lesson at school.

About the music: You have to remember that the music was conducted during two different time periods. The original music was made in the late 80's to early 90's. The dub's music was made in the very late 90's to the early 2000's. Music changed a lot from the Japanese version to the dub. I personally like both versions.

I like DBZ very much, even though I didn't at first, I thought it was stupid because it was a cartoon, then I watched it... I was hooked after the first episode. If you could sit through it with an opened mind you DBZ haters just might learn to like it.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]