IMDb > Santa and Pete (1999) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Santa and Pete (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A uniquely warm and down to earth story about Santa

Author: C. R. Wilson from Omaha, Nebraska
9 August 2003

I love reading stories to my children. It was great seeing James Earl Jones gently tying the movie together by playing a grandfather telling his grandson this very special story. I was delighted with the setting of early America. The story was filled with a mix of familiar and less heard elements of the Santa Claus traditions. Perhaps this stems from European origins, which fits well with the early American setting. The movie also did well to transcend multi-cultural lines that so many Christmas stories fall short of. My young children love viewing Christmas stories all year around. I am anxious for this to become available on VHS or DVD. "Santa and Pete" is a must see for those of you who love the feelings surrounding the Christmas holidays.

Best Christmas Movie

Author: DNaeNae05 from United States
1 January 2006

I happened to turn the channel to find this movie just starting. Each scene held me in rapture. It was honestly the best Christmas movie I've seen. It can only compare to "It's a Wonderful Life", with Jimmy Stewart. I have talked about this film for the last three years to all my friends and family. No one believes it even exists. I have looked for this film every Christmas afterwards and it's never on TV or available for sale anywhere. I love the story and all the characters. It has a beautiful old world charm and teaches a great story of how Christmas came to be. Please let me know how to find this movie on DVD!!!!!

A bit of quiet beauty for a Christmas season evening

Author: kcs from Vacaville CA
30 December 2002

I usually look at everything made for Christmas viewing. I wasn't sure what this one was going to be. I have seen many movies that describe themselves as Christmas stories, simply because they take place at Christmas. "One Magic Christmas" is one of that breed. When I saw "Santa and Pete" for the first time, I was hooked. This was a delightful little story of Saint Nicholas and his helper; how he visited the new world for the first time and how he became "modernized". The story held my interest from beginning to end and stayed in my heart and mind much longer than that. Using James Earl Jones as the grandfather relating the story to his grandson for the first time was a stroke of pure genius in casting. The writers could have gone anywhere with this tale, and they wisely chose to tell it as a story of hope, peace, charity, love, and family. Their are many Christmas movies in my collection, and "Santa and Pete" ranks up with the best of them. The sooner this is released on VHS and DVD, the better The ratings That have been given are understandable when I note the demographics connected with them. I urge all who voted and gave somewhat low marks, to see this picture again after a few years and see if their perspective has changed. They may be surprised! God Bless Us - everyone.

Great Holiday Movie!

Author: windwhistler69 from Canada
13 November 2006

I saw the movie Santa and Pete a few years ago on T.V. and I thought it was really great. James Earl Jones has a great voice and is a wonderful narrator. It is a well told Christmas story with a few odd twists and new idea's of how Santa becomes the man we know and love today. With the help and friendship of a black man named Pete, Santa grows and evolves through the years. This new character combo definitely has the makings of a true Christmas classic. I would love to see this movie come out on DVD as I would love to share it with my children. I recommend this movie to anyone who gets the chance to see it, if it ever comes around again!

This Movie was a classic this is one of HUME CRONYNS Best Films

Author: ardy-2 from USA
9 December 1999

This movie takes us back to the days when the settlers came to america.And it explains how santa got his Get-up and how his reindeers could fly they should bring it to Video It's very Heart Warming.This Movie aint just a childrens movie i'ts a movie the whole family could enjoy.

A Beautiful Story !

Author: David Benjamin (benedict1526) from New York, NY
7 July 2003

The recent passing of one of my favorite actors, Hume Cronyn, made me think of this charming television movie which I saw a few years ago. It is a very lovely story which I hope will be shown more often. Hume Cronyn was the best Santa Claus ever!

Sweet Multicultural Movie

Author: csamend
5 December 2009

I saw this movie on Hulu in 2009. It's a sweet movie that hints at some spirituality and incorporates a small amount of history to show how the story of Santa and Christmas has evolved. The movie says the story comes from a Dutch legend and I have seen various other locations mention a Santa and Pete Dutch legend although probably significantly different. It is enjoyable for the whole family. My children were enraptured and the adults found it fun and wholesome. At the time of this post the book that the movie is based on and the movie can be found on Amazon. I would say the phrase 'Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward Men' summarizes the goal of the multicultural angle of the movie. It is an enjoyable piece without many adult themes which is a rare find.

Wonderful!!

Author: imarainbow from United States
7 December 2008

Oh yes! What a wonderful Christmas story. I, too, just "happened" across it when flipping channels a few years back and was mesmerized. It IS indeed a lovely story and I have watched for it every year on television, in video stores and told others (who have no idea what I am talking about). I would most definitely purchase it if it was available knowing it would be watched each year. I am perplexed as to why it has had no more play and was not advertised. It is clearly a loss when one sees the "drivel" put out each year that are called Christmas stories which are really just an excuse for a Harlequin romance. Albeit there are Christmas decorations and the characters wear red and green. Anyway, Santa and Pete..see it if you can!