IMDb > Love in the Ruins (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Love in the Ruins More at IMDbPro »

Sound, substance, soul!

Author: toulous_lautrec from United States
11 July 2006

Led Zeppelin soundtrack: Kashmir was awesome in the credit sequence. In fact, the sound/visual sequences were all awesome. Although there is almost a music video feel, especially with the short length, Ruins has more substance to it...

Two demons are wandering through Los Angeles, looking to feed on human suffering. They come to a gas station, late one night. People of all races and backgrounds are minding their business when suddenly there is a drive-by shooting. Although short, maybe a half hour long, "Ruins" was an interesting blend of character portraits. As a high school student, I was so shocked to view something that could break through the jaded, unemotional high school mask that students and teachers wear. I can't say if this was a movie with religious undertone, but I think there is appeal to people of all backgrounds. In a life or death situation, would you stop to help someone, even if it meant loosing everything? The shock ending stays with me, ten years after watching this movie.

In Indianapolis, my film study teacher showed this; I guess it played at the Heartland Film Fest. WHERE THE HECK CAN I GET A COPY?

I agree - Awesome Film

Author: cbrehan (ckb104@msn.com) from United States
24 September 2008

I was the Production Manager on this film (my first) and was thrilled with the finished product. I saw it at the Los Angeles Film Festival in 1995 or 96. Unfortunately, it hasn't been released on DVD (or even video), so you can't really get a copy.

One reply to the comment below about how amazing this film looks. You are correct, it's beautiful and that is completely due to the incredible Director of Photography, Darren Rydstrom. He deserves all the credit.

The cast was wonderful, too. No one got paid for their work on the film, but did amazing work anyway. Kudos!

One of finest films we have ever seen

Author: mugs765 from United States
30 July 2006

My son, a film student and now visual effects artist in LA, brought this film home from the Heartland festival several years ago. Our family was blow away by it. We have seen it several times and shown it to others. It remains one of the finest, thought provoking films we have ever seen. We always wondered what happened to Scott and just recently looked up his profile. We did that because the daughter of a famous actress dropped by our home and we told her about it. She was excited, because she had auditioned for one of Scott's movies.

We wish Scott continued success in his career and thank him for making such an important film.