IMDb > "Andromeda" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Comments on (parts of) comments

Author: chatangel from New Jersey - USA
13 May 2005

Within one of the comments was this statement: "Is it a light space romp with plenty of humor? Is it a serious take on a potentially exciting premise? Is it experimental? Is it space opera? Unfortunately, the answer is 'All of the Above'."

But isn't that what (real) life is? Just because it's "fiction" and set somewhere out in time doesn't mean it shouldn't reflect what real life reflects - humor, seriousness, experimentation, operatic and at times just plain confusing.

Someone also said that the series lost its premise for a while - which at the time the comment was made might have been the case, but now that the show is, alas, finished, we can/should see in hindsight that every story line had its purpose, its connection to "the point of it all." Which means the show succeeded in obtaining what should be the ultimate goal of any show of this type - storytelling at its best, with a beginning, a middle and an end.

My own personal favorites? Trans-Gemini, of course, and her connection to the Route of Ages and "her sun" - energy at its most basic and powerful form.

It just keeps getting better, a must see!

Author: Jack Gibson from Ohio
16 June 2002

Andromeda is a thrill to watch. I can't wait till the next episode comes along. It's fresh and exciting! You'll love every minute of it! The cast brings this group of characters to life in such a way that you will fall in love with each of them.

A Bit Of Everthing

Author: schogger13 (schogger13@t-online.de) from Lemgo / Germany
4 May 2002

It's not a shame, but a predictable mixture.

That sounds harsh as an opening statement, granted, but it's not as bad in the end.

The worst that could be said about this show, is that every single scene is a more or less blatant copy of another show's trademarks. A bit of Star Trek. A bit of Babylon 5. A bit of Xena & Hercules TLJ A bit of Farscape...... and the latter is the worst and least convincing copy.

And still..., it's not really a bad show. Why? Simple: Too many old pros about to prevent total faliure. For SF fans, there's still enough to find to cling on to, and that's more than one might suspect. Fairness dictates to mention that this almost too obvious drawing board mixture turns out fairly decent all the same. One could list a few eps and their 'parents', now, but this would be futile in the end. Once comparisons to superiour shows like Farscape or B5 have been thrown overboard, the fun sets in. Simple but honest. The acting is adequate and not even close to the highest standards of the above mentioned shows. Special effects and especially the makeups are surprisingly artificial and childish in comparison, but again, fitting better than expected.

I was entertained. Nothing more - nothing less.

I've seen far worse shows pretending to be a lot more than this one. Apart from Roddenvberry's name in the title does his influence seem to be the least important aspect of this show. That's understandable, since his views and especially tastes are more than just outdated, nowadays.

But still, this show takes as few risks as can be expected from a Roddenberry concept. Even at the start of Star Trek TnG, they were mildly outdated already. Andromeda takes a safe road - but a decent one for US TV standards. Some of it is tiringly predictable. Some of it is a nice variation on known themes. Some of it is simply entertaining on the smallest common denominator.

It's a decent show. Average in its more positive sense. No more. No less.

Have fun.

Awesome show with a great future!

Author: DarkHelmet-1
28 April 2001

When I first saw this, I felt like I was watching a "Babylon 5" or "ST:DS9"-type show, which I enjoy. Kevin Sorbo is awesome playing someone who isn't Hercules for a change, but my favorite character would have to be the intriguing and sexy Trance Gemini, wonderfully played by Laura Bertram. Great writing also makes this show a winner!

Definitely worth a chance...the best Sci-Fi on TV!

Author: sunrunner79 (sunrunner_witch5@yahoo.com) from Michigan, USA
3 February 2001

Since my first viewing of this show, I have become addicted! The story is well written, the characters are wonderful, the FX are passable, and Tyr is the hottest man on television in my opinion! I watch it as often as I can, and I find myself looking forward to next week's episode. Since ST:TNG, ST:DS9, and Babylon 5 went off the air, there has been a void in the Science Fiction genre on television. The Sci-Fi channel has tried to fill it with very little success. Earth: Final Conflict filled the void for a while, but the inconsistent times, changes in cast, and new plot twists ruined it for me. This show however, finally begins to fill that hole. I did not always feel this way however.

When I heard that there was another Gene Roddenberry show coming out, I was excited. Then I heard that the ship's captain was going to be Kevin Sorbo, and I deflated. I liked Hercules, but could not picture HIM as the captain of a starship! I was also frustrated that the name of one of the antagonist races was the Nietzscheans. How unlikely can you get? However when my best friend showed me the first episode I decided to give it a chance. Sure the FX were pretty cheesey, but the plot was interesting, and the characters were likeable. I even got over my aversion to the Nietzscheans after I found out that they are actually a human subspecies that takes their name from the philosopher.

It may be no Babylon 5, but it is still good entertainment. There is a lot of potential in Andromeda, and I for one am going to give it a chance and see where it goes!

A story done well

Author: (wehn-1) from United States
2 January 2006

Its one of the best series I have seen sense the original star trek.It doesn't have the $1000 explosions but if the special effects are all that is needed the latest trek series would be worth watching.All in all you cant go wrong if you like this style of of movie.A word of caution thou, the episodes are very dependent on each other and if watched independently out of order you loss much of what make it a great series.That is what i like about it, it seems to have that movie quality broken into parts instead of that series quality of many short stories.

Hope it helped, peace

Andromeda

Author: Georgi from Bulgaria
16 July 2005

This is one of the best movies that I've been watching! I thing the actors are great and the story is more then great! I've watch it all episodes several times and still wont to watch them again. I don'care if dose "Andromeda" like some other movie! Olso there are a lot of movies and every one is like some other so... "Andromeda" is not the firs and the last movie with similar story, characters and etc. Still.... I love "Anromeda"!!! And I give you my advice Watch it and I'm sure that you will be interested some way. Because there are a lot of things that makes you to interested even a fan of the show. Give it a shot!

I don't really know how are they hanging...

Author: tragapizzas from Mexico City
24 September 2004

I have seen a poll in AXN (part of SONY Entertainment Television) that is the network that screens (by cable) the series in Mexico, and Andromeda is far, by a lot, and I mean a LOT, the favorite SF series in Latin America. I really don't know why. I think the first season is better than the second and the third, the is song better in the first season than the mellow song of the others, and the stories are not cheap. The three seasons got great storyline. The second is not that bad but the third season has too, great storyline, but they are lousy made. I love the series, I think the actors are great, Laura Bertram is beautiful, scary and sexy (a nice combination), Kevin Sorbo strong and wise, Lysa Ryder all blond and sporty kickin' ass all around, Keith Hamilton Cobb big, handsome and deadly but sensitive, he can drop a tear here and there, Lexa Doig... the ship herself, accurate and omniscient, and sexy. Nice characters and nice soil to grow an incredible series but the relation between cause and effect is lame and stupid, the storytelling by the image and the dialogs is not connecting with the core of the story and there is a divorce between the strength of the premise and the center of the stories. There's not a real leadership in the screenplays, and probably the money is not enough for that much Sp/Fx. So the story suffers. Not a choice!!! Star Trek solved this lacks of production with imagination. Is too much very easy to see and if the Producers do not improve the purpose of the Andromeda Ascendant, I feel that it is not going to be a classic like the other Gene Roddenberry's series. I need more conflict, more drama more suspense. That's what I need. Anyway I'm hooked, because the AXN channel 213 in Mexico City's satellite, is screening Andromeda and Enterprise together, and truth to be said, these are my favorite ones. Thank you very much.

Great science fiction

Author: Roddy-15 from Panama
9 November 2002

When Andromeda came out, I thought it would be just another disappointing sci-fi show like Crusader and Space Above and Beyond. But after watching the first four episodes, it became obvious that Andromeda is here to stay.

The show has great special effects, acting, a lot of action and drama. It is good to know that the third season of Andromeda is about to begin.

Amazingly lame

Author: F_Jenkins from la
24 January 2001

I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, I stopped watching the spin-offs after they became rehashes of the earlier shows, but with a more soap opera approach. If you don't watch every episode, it becomes to hard to follow. This show is as bad as any other Star Trek spin-off in fact, I'm not sure why they just didn't make it another Star Trek show.

It is completely unoriginal. Again, we have a captain and crew members, all with similar ranks to Star Trek. We have aliens that could be cross-overs to the Star Trek universe. We have aliens working along side the humans (just like Spock). We have a Federation type organization. There's even a similar opening to the show like the Star Trek shows. I mean, this is just Star Trek with some revisions. And none of them are good. It seems every new sci-fi show that comes up is like this now. There's a leader on a ship and aliens come and go and there's a Organization that doesn't want interference in other civilizations. I can't believe a sci fi show can't be created that doesn't fall into these cliches!

And Kevin Sorbo needs to get rid of that 1970s haircut. It looks very uncaptainly.

I find it amazing how many shows Gene Roddenberry keeps creating, long after his death. I wish some other, better dead writers would come out with stuff too.

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]