IMDb > "Andromeda" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Andromeda" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Love it

Author: apkeywest from United States
8 March 2006

I have always wanted to see a movie with a plot like this. Its refreshing to have it delivered in such a perfect manner. the only thing i would like to see, is a slightly larger cast. like maybe him acquiring more crew members would be great. like Stargate Sg1 with a semi permanent cast of extras. other then that love the story lines and the acting.This is a series that i never tire of watching.Captain Hut does a remarkable job portraying a captain set alone in th galaxy. I have sadly only got the 1st 5 episodes on DVD and seen a lot of the others on TV.The ship itself is a thing of beauty.I particularly like"let loose the lightning". It was a good story line and great sequence of events.

Excellent first season

Author: Amanda777 from USA
5 November 2002

While Andromeda is in its 3rd Season currently, the first will forever remain my favourite. The story lines were for the majority original, creative, and had entertaining fight scenes, it also had incredible actors and actresses (such as Keith Hamilton Cobb - Tyr - and Lisa Ryder - Beka, as well as everyone else) and plots. It did have a few duds, such as 'To Loose The Fateful Lightning', but that was as to the acting of guest stars, imo, but it had shiners as well. Like 'It Makes A Lovely Light' for which Lisa Ryder was nominated for an award for her performance. Season 2, for the most part, has shown itself to reveal intriguing plots, great acting by the cast members through various changes (you'll just have to watch to find out!), and *much* better costumes for the varying alien races (including some very kewl special effects and new battle scenes). Overall, the show is going along, it may have some *really* bad eps, but it definitely makes up for them with the great ones!

Andromeda and Recycling

Author: s0c7 from Grayslake, IL, USA
15 May 2001

Gene must have really been into recycling...

Andromeda's protagonist is Dylan Hunt, a man held in suspended animation for hundreds of years and revived in a collapsed society that is the remains of the one he knew.

In 1973, Gene R. created a pilot (never very successful) for a show called Genesis II: the protagonist was Dylan Hunt, a man held in cryogenic suspension for hundreds of years, and revived in a society that was recovering from the collapse of the one he knew.

My $0.02...

a kick ass ride

Author: Lyzander ( from North Carolina
7 October 2000

when i first heard about "andromeda" i was hyped up beyond belief. gene roddenberry has yet another smash hit. kevin sorbo is amazing as captain dylan hunt, using both brains and braun to fight for what he believes in. i highly recommend this show to anyone who has a love for sci-fi and anyone who enjoys a non-stop action ride. i give it a big thumbs up.

It's hard to forgive you Dylan

Author: rain-of-terror from Australia
19 May 2006

Give me a hero who doesn't go warm and fuzzy with the bad guys. Tyr, now there's a hero I can identify with - he kills them all and let's God sort them out later. At least he doesn't want to kiss someone every episode. We had enough of Captain Shatner doing that. Heaven's knows what sort of germs he catches. Trance? Great character, but shame about the tail. You'd think something that useful could be made artificially, after all, Romy was. Getting back to Dylan. Wet. No doubt about it. Maybe the black hole took him 300 years in the wrong direction. The 20th century was the era of the Sensive New Age Guy. Thank God that didn't last either.

Comments on (parts of) comments

Author: chatangel from New Jersey - USA
13 May 2005

Within one of the comments was this statement: "Is it a light space romp with plenty of humor? Is it a serious take on a potentially exciting premise? Is it experimental? Is it space opera? Unfortunately, the answer is 'All of the Above'."

But isn't that what (real) life is? Just because it's "fiction" and set somewhere out in time doesn't mean it shouldn't reflect what real life reflects - humor, seriousness, experimentation, operatic and at times just plain confusing.

Someone also said that the series lost its premise for a while - which at the time the comment was made might have been the case, but now that the show is, alas, finished, we can/should see in hindsight that every story line had its purpose, its connection to "the point of it all." Which means the show succeeded in obtaining what should be the ultimate goal of any show of this type - storytelling at its best, with a beginning, a middle and an end.

My own personal favorites? Trans-Gemini, of course, and her connection to the Route of Ages and "her sun" - energy at its most basic and powerful form.

It just keeps getting better, a must see!

Author: Jack Gibson from Ohio
16 June 2002

Andromeda is a thrill to watch. I can't wait till the next episode comes along. It's fresh and exciting! You'll love every minute of it! The cast brings this group of characters to life in such a way that you will fall in love with each of them.

A Bit Of Everthing

Author: schogger13 ( from Lemgo / Germany
4 May 2002

It's not a shame, but a predictable mixture.

That sounds harsh as an opening statement, granted, but it's not as bad in the end.

The worst that could be said about this show, is that every single scene is a more or less blatant copy of another show's trademarks. A bit of Star Trek. A bit of Babylon 5. A bit of Xena & Hercules TLJ A bit of Farscape...... and the latter is the worst and least convincing copy.

And still..., it's not really a bad show. Why? Simple: Too many old pros about to prevent total faliure. For SF fans, there's still enough to find to cling on to, and that's more than one might suspect. Fairness dictates to mention that this almost too obvious drawing board mixture turns out fairly decent all the same. One could list a few eps and their 'parents', now, but this would be futile in the end. Once comparisons to superiour shows like Farscape or B5 have been thrown overboard, the fun sets in. Simple but honest. The acting is adequate and not even close to the highest standards of the above mentioned shows. Special effects and especially the makeups are surprisingly artificial and childish in comparison, but again, fitting better than expected.

I was entertained. Nothing more - nothing less.

I've seen far worse shows pretending to be a lot more than this one. Apart from Roddenvberry's name in the title does his influence seem to be the least important aspect of this show. That's understandable, since his views and especially tastes are more than just outdated, nowadays.

But still, this show takes as few risks as can be expected from a Roddenberry concept. Even at the start of Star Trek TnG, they were mildly outdated already. Andromeda takes a safe road - but a decent one for US TV standards. Some of it is tiringly predictable. Some of it is a nice variation on known themes. Some of it is simply entertaining on the smallest common denominator.

It's a decent show. Average in its more positive sense. No more. No less.

Have fun.

Awesome show with a great future!

Author: DarkHelmet-1
28 April 2001

When I first saw this, I felt like I was watching a "Babylon 5" or "ST:DS9"-type show, which I enjoy. Kevin Sorbo is awesome playing someone who isn't Hercules for a change, but my favorite character would have to be the intriguing and sexy Trance Gemini, wonderfully played by Laura Bertram. Great writing also makes this show a winner!

Definitely worth a chance...the best Sci-Fi on TV!

Author: sunrunner79 ( from Michigan, USA
3 February 2001

Since my first viewing of this show, I have become addicted! The story is well written, the characters are wonderful, the FX are passable, and Tyr is the hottest man on television in my opinion! I watch it as often as I can, and I find myself looking forward to next week's episode. Since ST:TNG, ST:DS9, and Babylon 5 went off the air, there has been a void in the Science Fiction genre on television. The Sci-Fi channel has tried to fill it with very little success. Earth: Final Conflict filled the void for a while, but the inconsistent times, changes in cast, and new plot twists ruined it for me. This show however, finally begins to fill that hole. I did not always feel this way however.

When I heard that there was another Gene Roddenberry show coming out, I was excited. Then I heard that the ship's captain was going to be Kevin Sorbo, and I deflated. I liked Hercules, but could not picture HIM as the captain of a starship! I was also frustrated that the name of one of the antagonist races was the Nietzscheans. How unlikely can you get? However when my best friend showed me the first episode I decided to give it a chance. Sure the FX were pretty cheesey, but the plot was interesting, and the characters were likeable. I even got over my aversion to the Nietzscheans after I found out that they are actually a human subspecies that takes their name from the philosopher.

It may be no Babylon 5, but it is still good entertainment. There is a lot of potential in Andromeda, and I for one am going to give it a chance and see where it goes!

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]