IMDb > "Andromeda" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Andromeda"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Andromeda" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

What a ride? I loved this.

Author: MuggySphere from Adelaide, Australia
30 March 2013

Well phew.............

Just finished season 5 earlier the previous evening. Almost 24 hours on and still buzzing. I loved it.

Season 5 was not as bad as I thought it could have been. It was spotty here and there, but that was due to the budget cuts the show has taken. aside from that I loved it. But season 1 and 2 will be my favourites. And now that it ended I feel sad. The last 20 minutes left me feeling sad. Trance is my faovurite character. Who wouldn't want to have a living sun as their friend. That would be so awesome...

Also I loved the design of the ships. The Eureka Maru was untidy, cluttered and on the outside looked like a ship that was made to do lots of heavy work. The Andromeda looked sleek and looked like it was built for war. Though the smooth lines make it very beautiful to look at I would have liked to have had just a little bit more roughness around the edges, say a few exposed guns or such on the hull. To me that says "warship." Just my opinion.

I think they ended it pretty damn well, and did the best that they could do with what they had....

The show with GREAT potential...

Author: fradifiu from Hungary
1 July 2012

I just saw this page here, and some good memories came back :)

As i first saw the show i found it AMAZING. It had great potential, the CGI was not bad, but the most important thing is the story, and it was simply great, well made. The whole Andromeda universe is complete, you can see a nice "post-apocaliptic" world, where our heroes had to rebuild the lost world. Then something went wrong. I don't remember which season was the one where they started to threat the viewers like idiots, but when the stupid religion thing, and the whole mystical stuffs started, the show was simply ruined. Those who saw the finale will know what i am talking about. It is a good series, but it had the potential to be one of the best series.

A very long series

Author: sinful-2 from Denmark
10 December 2009

The first episode actually seemed very promising and had a great potential. But unfortunately it developed into a series for people who love seeing a lot of laser weapons shooting and spaceships shooting it out.

A series that suffered much by episodes in between that did not pursuit the storyline and seemed not to fit in continuum. Sometimes you wondered why they did not use powerful objects from earlier episodes.

The main characters were:

Captain Dillon Hunt - Name should have been captain Perfect instead. So political correct it makes you want to puke. Strangely enough Mr. perfect have no troubles killing innocent prison guards while he time after time jeopardize the mission and his crew to protect female criminals. Always blaming others for their flaws and never admitting his own even when they nearly get everyone killed. If there is a female in the episode then he is always good for a kiss and more. When he starts kissing with woman number ten you start to see a pattern. It is fine with romance but always and with every woman he meets is plain stupid and annoying. In season 5 he even becomes even more righteous and use every opportunity to tell his crew how bad they handled themselves even if it is his error that put them in that mess. Worst thing is they chose such a bad actor to have the main role. I noticed several times it looked like he smiled when approaching his crew after they just had great personal loses.

Andromeda - The worlds most powerful warship. Still anyone can get unnoticed on board and make every kind of sabotage on the ship. And never does it intercept transmissions from enemies on board to the outside. Sometimes two small space-fighters can nearly destroy Andromeda and other times it can destroy an entire fleet alone. I often wondered how come no one build a more powerful one the 300 years it was gone.

Trance - First 3 seasons she should have been the mystery of the crew. It got fast boring and when you finally get the secret it is really not interesting.

Harper - Character with more potential than always just being the puny scientist. My personal favorite nerd.

Beka - In the last horrible season her role finally flowers and she is permitted to be more than Dillons puppet. She should have been written that way all the time.

Tyr - The only character that developed throughout the series. Unfortunately that was destroyed in the end by incompetent writers.

Nietzscheans - An unbelievable race that never really seems plausible. Unfortunately they have a very big role in the series.

So if you want a series with interesting characters and stories then look for something else. This is very far from good sci-fi. It seemed like the writers ended up not knowing if they were writing a superhero or sci-fi series, and it turned out bad both ways.

All in all I have a hard time understanding why many good sci-fi series die after one season or less and this lasted 5 seasons.

Gene Roddenberry is done

Author: Michael L.S. from Israel
29 May 2014

I write this from the perspective of having seen the first three and a half seasons (i.e. being in the middle of the fourth one). Things might pick up in the remaining season and a half, although judging by the reviews posted here and elsewhere, that seems very unlikely.

On the plus side, the show has some interesting overall ideas and some of the story arcs are quite good. A solid portion of the action is engaging. And hey, good-looking, voluptuous women stylin' and profilin' in skintight leather and P.V.C. body-suits gotta count for somethin', right! Seriously though, there are quite a few episodes that are capable of having the viewer riveted from start to finish.

Such shows, however, are in a minority. Most of them are in some way annoying, boring, or both. For boring, try Rev. Bem and his endless, silly disquisitions about some cockamamie religious doctrine. I can't stand the makebelieve stuff the humankind actually came up with; I sure don't have time for some makebelieve makebelieve.

As far as annoying, one is even more spoiled for choice. There could be the "fights," which fall into two categories: (1) hand-to-hand, and (2) shootouts. For the former, after the protagonists literally bounce off bulkheads for a while and make 720-degree high-kick turns, the indomitable Captain Hunt emerges victorious. For the latter, after a minute or two of suppressing weapons fire from multiple directions and being vastly outnumbered, Captain Hunt, yes, emerges victorious. Add to that that, in a universe with fantastic technology, small-arms fire is less accurate than someone trying to hit an apple a half a mile away with a bow and arrow... - unless it's Captain Hunt doin' the shootin', in which case he eventually manages to hit his target.

Continuing with the annoying theme, another candidate is Hunt frenching every semi-decent-looking broad in sight. I thought Kirk of the original Star Trek was bad, humping as he did just about every female and female-like species all over the universe. But even he had the decency to do it only, like, 4-5 times a season. Hunt, by contrast, slips someone the tongue every other episode. Oh, and he does it at the most inopportune moments, such as while being shot at, with a self-destruct sequence rapidly nearing zero, etc. The truly pathetic schmaltzy muzak (which was actually designed to come across as "romantic" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!) only serves to aggravate the annoying factor. Note, however, that he only makes out with the REALLY attractive femininas. Those below 9 or 10 out of 10 have to go without swapping fluids with the masterful captain.

Honorable mention #1: The preposterous music introduced in Season 3 during action sequences. Far from conveying a sense of urgency, desperation, and hope, it's something you'd hear while watching National Lampoon's Vacation (1983). Yes, it really is...THAT BAD!

Honorable mention #2: The very idea that the survival of three galaxies of the universe could ever depend on one man and his spaceship - both three centuries out of date - is ridiculous to the point of being insulting to one's intelligence. I mean, it's tantamount to a schooner from the days of the British Empire suddenly appearing on the high seas and tearassing through the oceans, laying the smackdown on the U.S. Navy, the Chinese, or even the Somali pirates.

All I can say about Andromeda is: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!

The show has a lot of potential

Author: bogsbautista from Manila, Philippines
12 October 2002

I'm just about five episodes into the first season, but so far I like what I see. The premise is interesting, and is sufficiently different from other previous sci-fi shows to provide a fresh perspective and to prevent being seen as merely a rehash of old ideas. Judging from the episode guides I've encountered, the writers have written good storylines for the series. Being a TV series, I know we can't expect good ones every episode. However, I expect a good story every once in a while, such as "Angel Dark Demon Bright." I can only hope they can keep churning out good ideas and executing them well. I do hope this series stays good for about 5-7 years.

Great Show

Author: charmed-33 from Australia
16 June 2008

I have to say, I had mixed thoughts about this show from reading comments on the IMDb. Loving Scifi, I purchased the complete DVD Box Set because I just can't get enough space, scifi shows. When I first started to watch the show (first episode) I was like, I don't like the characters. Any ways I could not have been more wrong. First Kevin Sorbo has come along way since playing Hercules. I found his acting to be professional and totally believable. Lexa Doig is just sooo hot I Just loved looking at her, but she also is an AMAZING actress. I was upset when she had to leave in season5 to have her baby, so although the season was still good, I did not enjoy it as much as I would have with her in it all the time. :( Seamus Harper is such a likable character and a real pleasure to watch and Trance Gemini's character complex, powerful and beautiful. She was such a pleasure to watch and although I worked her out in the first episode, I bet most people won't. I could say something about all the characters because I like them all apart from Doyle. Maybe It is because she replaced our beloved Rommie for a time, or maybe I just felt her acting was a little amateurish. The show itself is full of action and has many great episodes that made a really enjoyable show to watch.

Sci-fi series worth watching!

Author: satviewer2000 from Canada
16 December 2005

When the series originally hit the airways in 2000 I never watched it. The main reason was because of the star Kevin Sorbo who happened to be the star of the defunct "Hercules" series. I thought (incorrectly) that this would simply be "Hercules in Space". How wrong I was, but it took me 5 years before I began to watch it in reruns to find out what I had missed.

Although this is Gene Roddenberry's creation, it is NOT another Star Trek derivative, nor is it "Hercules in Space". It is an amazingly original series, with fresh ideas, an original approach to sci-fi, and purposely made different from Roddenberry's other series. It is much more action based, more violent, but also more thoughtful. There are many episodes where you have to watch several times to understand them.

It is as if the writers for this series were completely new. Not the same crew from Star Trek.

So anyone interested in sci-fi should definitely catch this series in reruns or on DVD! I really regret my "prejudice" against the series and the star when it first aired, but am thoroughly enjoying the series now!

Downright terrible!!

Author: alv_wg from Australia
4 July 2005

I've watched the first four episodes of this and it is hopeless. Who thought up the idea that tossing bombs at a black hole create a "white hole"?? And it looks like the dumbest captain in the commonwealth is the only survivor. My ship is being shot at, so we'll not shoot back nor take evasive action, we'll just take the damage - no need to worry if my ship can be fixed - we'll just try to tell our enemies they are being naughty!! Oh and of course we must not shoot at two ships which are about to (and eventually did) destroy a whole solar system - It would probably violate section 61235223421 of the (defunct) Commonwealth code. Yeah way to go Captain!!

Disposable, Dumb, Cheesy

Author: s_thomas from South Wales, UK
29 October 2000

I have only seen a few episodes, so bare that in mind when I say this show is awful. It really doesnt come even close to recent commendable sci-fi creations such as Babylon 5, Farscape or Earth: Final Conflict.

So it tries hard to be Farscape but fails miserably, lacking the same fascinating characters, brilliant design and original plot.

This show is a mess. It defines the word "disposable". The acting is average, the special effects are at least five years behind other shows and the plot offends me. To enjoy this show you must either be really dumb or are into twee cheesy tv shows.

An exquisite show with incredible good actors.

Author: Dumitrescu Edward (edward.dumitrescu@gmail.com) from Bucharest, Romania
9 October 2004

I would first like to congratulate the cast for their impressive performance and assure them of the constant growing number of their fans here, in Romania. All the members of the cast and especially Kevin Sorbo are making this show one of the greatest sci-fi series ever and they must continue with their great work. For those who think less of the show I have only these words: keep in mind that dreams and heroes go together and it's a shame to deny your dreams and disregard your heroes. And for all the fans this show have remember this: your numbers are growing because one thing we have in common with our heroes is the ability to fly beyond stars, whenever the show starts. Captain Hunt, you have the bridge! Keep up the good work, we are behind you 100%.

Page 4 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]