IMDb > "Andromeda" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Andromeda"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Andromeda" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Hercules in space

Author: desmozges from Croatia
10 July 2007

First season or two were great, but that is only what is worth in Andromeda... It seams that Sorbo fired writer and continued to create Andromeda so that he can look like a great hero. At the opening he was just 300 years old starship captain stuck at the edge of the black hole. Later we find out that he is special, and soon after that that he is a member of an ancient race. Also at the opening main characters were equal, an later there is only Hercules, sorry Capt Hunt and every one else is nothing more then a sidekick. And what the hell is the story with Tyr?!? that is the worst turnaround ever in the worst direction. It is sad to see what can one man's ego do to the great and promising show.

It became so god awful later on though...

Author: mikegyro from United States
15 November 2006

I couldn't stop watching this train wreck, because I always kept hoping that they would recapture some of the wonder that was originally established before the end of the first season. This show jumped the shark after the writer changes and while I liked Mr Sorbo's work as an actor in previous endeavors, his dumbing down of the show was a bad move. The plots didn't make any sense, it was just gun fights for no apparent reason, and there isn't a bad guy out there who can aim worth anything. Thats it thats all there is to it in the end. I could end this comment right here however the site posting rules want me to print at least 10 lines of text. Well here you go I'm typing some more text and I should repeat that Andromeda was fun in the first couple of episodes, and there seemed to be some sort of interesting back story to the whole thing but beginning in the second season, it lost touch with all of that possible storyline and became a senseless gunfight occurring over and over again and again.

Doesn't add anything profound to the fabric of sci-fi television

Author: cadfile from Columbus, Ohio
22 May 2005

I was stoked to see Andromeda when it debuted in 2000. Created by the genius behind Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry, the show employed complex archetype characters, story arcs, some interesting effects, sprinkled with some humor.

I would watch the first couple of seasons religiously because I liked the stories and the characters.

While I still catch an episode most weeks, the show evolved.

I think shows should evolve as actors get comfortable in their roles and the writing does the same. Shows tend to get better as the years move forward. Andromeda didn't do that.

The show evolved from a story/character focused drama to an action/adventure throw off.

While the show was still OK to watch, it stopped being something that dragged you in - something to invest in.

It did turn out better than some it didn't really add anything profound to the fabric of sci-fi television.

Pretty Good Show

Author: (iamabravesfan) from Atlanta, GA
3 August 2001

Andromeda is, to my surprise, a pretty good show. At first I thought it would be one of those shows that wouldn't last but five episodes. But it has been proven to me that Andromeda may last long enough for syndication. My advice is to check out at least one episode of this wonderful show.

A hopeful science fiction romp.

Author: lois-lane33 from Montreal
25 December 2014

I thought I would watch this show due to the wife of Gene Roddenberry being part of the production team and the fact the show had apparently been one of Gene Roddenberry's unrealized projects during his lifetime. I read the synopsis before watching it and I found it a bit far fetched. I think the show works from the perspective of it being basically Star Trek in the year 4000 AD-but not 10,000 years into the future. For some fairly simple reasons-language has changed so much since the time of Shakespeare you could only imagine how unrecognizable language would be in 5000 years-never mind in 10,000 years. I watched the last season-or most of it-including the shows 100th episode-and it wasn't very hard to follow-maybe because I was watching it on DVD so I could see it without commercials which tend to ruin most good TV shows. I liked the acting although I found the lead maybe a bit dry. It was like watching a Star Trek show where Gene Roddenberry had indulged his fantasy of the future being a swashbuckling situation mores than in the original Star Trek show-where it was only a bit of a swashbuckling situation.The science was creative and the show was well paced-maybe with a bit too much in the way of bar fights though. I think its watchable-but maybe not quite genius.

The show has a lot of potential

Author: bogsbautista from Manila, Philippines
12 October 2002

I'm just about five episodes into the first season, but so far I like what I see. The premise is interesting, and is sufficiently different from other previous sci-fi shows to provide a fresh perspective and to prevent being seen as merely a rehash of old ideas. Judging from the episode guides I've encountered, the writers have written good storylines for the series. Being a TV series, I know we can't expect good ones every episode. However, I expect a good story every once in a while, such as "Angel Dark Demon Bright." I can only hope they can keep churning out good ideas and executing them well. I do hope this series stays good for about 5-7 years.

Downright terrible!!

Author: alv_wg from Australia
4 July 2005

I've watched the first four episodes of this and it is hopeless. Who thought up the idea that tossing bombs at a black hole create a "white hole"?? And it looks like the dumbest captain in the commonwealth is the only survivor. My ship is being shot at, so we'll not shoot back nor take evasive action, we'll just take the damage - no need to worry if my ship can be fixed - we'll just try to tell our enemies they are being naughty!! Oh and of course we must not shoot at two ships which are about to (and eventually did) destroy a whole solar system - It would probably violate section 61235223421 of the (defunct) Commonwealth code. Yeah way to go Captain!!

not that good

Author: Cross18 from Maine
8 March 2001

I'm a big sci-fi fan and a huge Star Trek fan, and I had high hopes for this show, but man was I disappionted. They've taken a interesting premise and a good cast of actors and ruined everything with annoying characters, bad effects, and plot lines that aren't that great. I find the characters Rev Bem, Trance, and Harper to be quite annoying. And Rev Bem's and Trances makeup effects are kind of bad. You can tell that they're not really aliens, they're just actors dressed up in bad costumes. And the ship looks like the easter bunny's vacation home. It's just bad looking. Although I think for me the last straw was when I saw an episode that featured an entire civilization of robots that called themselves "the Concensus of Parts", they were a total rip off of the borg. That turned me off the show permanently now. I think I'll stick with any of the Star Trek shows, even the reruns are better than this stuff.

Started off good...loosing interest fast...find a writer fast!

Author: dmgruber1 from USA
9 February 2005

What started off as an OK sci-fi series that I "kicked" myself when I missed or forgot to tape has become one of those shows that I now watch and wonder "why am I waisting my time on this?". My young daughter used to watch it with me, but now she would rather do homework.

After the first two seasons of decent action, sub plots etc, the story lines started to get stupid in season 3. There was more action in season 4 but the final show was one of the worst I have seen on any show.

Season 5 has limped along with too few interesting stories, little character development, new long term "bad guys", little good action (same karate type fight sequences where Sorbo gets to kick people, and the introduction of the "busty" Doyle character adds nothing to the cast. In fact she detracts from time that could be spent with other regulars. When the season 5 DVD comes out, they should edit the whole season down to about 2 hours, but then it would really not make much sense.

I've heard Sorbo has taken more direct control of the show as it has continued....what a shame. The "artsy" look and inane stories remind one of a boxer well past his prime trying to do what he did years ago and continually getting sent to the mat.

In the end, a waste of time

Author: roximunro from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
15 January 2005

After making Gene Rodenberry's Earth: Final Conflict, an interesting idea turned into a meandering pointless series, the gods of cheap-to-make syndicated Canadian TV shows decided to draw one time too many (AGAIN) from the Rodenberry well. The original premise was good, but after Kevin Sorbo fired the head writer, the plots of episode after episode lost any sign of a story arc. Major events in the storyline happened between episodes. Characters lost goals if they ever had any to begin with. I've sat down to watch some episodes and ended up wanting that hour of my life back. The only reason the show is still running is because the profit margin between selling the show to foreign markets and the cost of making episodes is nice and wide. Would it kill them to spend money on better and more consistent writers? And now the whole show has been exiled to some bar on some planet?! I've seen better production values at my high school drama class!

And now they're all hanging out a bar on some little planet?! Good lord, cancel the show. Put the actors out of their, and our, misery.

The only thing I did like about this show was Laura Bertram. She's grown up on television into a very beautiful woman. I like how she played both the purple perky airhead Trance and then the older wiser browner Trance. Maybe her character was an evolved and sentient grape who grows into a raisin?

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]