IMDb > "Andromeda" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Andromeda"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Andromeda" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A hopeful science fiction romp.

Author: lois-lane33 from Montreal
25 December 2014

I thought I would watch this show due to the wife of Gene Roddenberry being part of the production team and the fact the show had apparently been one of Gene Roddenberry's unrealized projects during his lifetime. I read the synopsis before watching it and I found it a bit far fetched. I think the show works from the perspective of it being basically Star Trek in the year 4000 AD-but not 10,000 years into the future. For some fairly simple reasons-language has changed so much since the time of Shakespeare you could only imagine how unrecognizable language would be in 5000 years-never mind in 10,000 years. I watched the last season-or most of it-including the shows 100th episode-and it wasn't very hard to follow-maybe because I was watching it on DVD so I could see it without commercials which tend to ruin most good TV shows. I liked the acting although I found the lead maybe a bit dry. It was like watching a Star Trek show where Gene Roddenberry had indulged his fantasy of the future being a swashbuckling situation mores than in the original Star Trek show-where it was only a bit of a swashbuckling situation.The science was creative and the show was well paced-maybe with a bit too much in the way of bar fights though. I think its watchable-but maybe not quite genius.

Show with great ideas

Author: vrkolak666 from Macedonia, (The Former Yugoslav Republic of)
13 November 2009

I liked this show, for the first 4 seasons.

I liked it because of the great ideas it presented: Firstly, the Nietcheans. They're genius concept, excellently written human off-shoot race.

Then, the quantum-slipstream drive. It adds a mysterious, even fantasy-like feeling to the series. It's the most original way to travel FTL, ever shown on TV! Next, we have the Vedrans, another mystery in the series. They're the long lost founders of Commonwealth, and only a myth in the time Dylan Hunt is in.

We came to the Commonwealth, which is maybe even better in it's concept than the Federation, in Star Trek.

And then, further on, there are the Avatars that ships have, there is the factor that Earth is not important...

Then, right after the really great concepts and ideas, there comes the great cast, which has equally great characters, great plot-lines, good humor, much action......

So, one would say why did I give it 7? It's the 5th season, it messes up everything, and it turns this show from a genius work of art that came from Gene Roddenberry's mind, to complete and utter junk.

I highly recommend this to every fan of good sci-fi. Just skip the 5th season, or don't take it seriously.

What are you guys talking about?!

Author: bobbyem from Sweden
17 May 2008

Andromeda isn't even Scifi. Its fantasy, like star wars. It set in a Scifi looking world, but there is no substance. Only a lot of bad acting and childish story's Some of you Ppl say you like Star trek but love Andromeda. Shame on you. Even Deep space nine has more heart than Andromeda. I'm glad that Gene was lucky enough to come up with Star Trek since a lot of his other ideas are crap.

Series like Andromeda is what gives Scifi a bad name. Just a lot of flashy lights and ugly costumes. And a main character that is some kind of superhero without any depth at all. He can do anything has no flaws. While the other crew mates just run around and look weird.

If you compare it to Star Trek TNG that deal with really existential and moral problems and encounter thought provoking anomalies. That often are rotted in real science.

Although a lot of the scientific terms are often outdated or wrong, but compared to those in Andromeda its almost a science documentary.

And I'm not saying that everything has to be scientifically correct to be good. But this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Andromeda. To feel that your immersed in a story you have to have some feel of that this is real. I just cant believe in something as silly as the Andromeda future.

I just cant understand how anyone under ten could like this crap.

Started off good...loosing interest fast...find a writer fast!

Author: dmgruber1 from USA
9 February 2005

What started off as an OK sci-fi series that I "kicked" myself when I missed or forgot to tape has become one of those shows that I now watch and wonder "why am I waisting my time on this?". My young daughter used to watch it with me, but now she would rather do homework.

After the first two seasons of decent action, sub plots etc, the story lines started to get stupid in season 3. There was more action in season 4 but the final show was one of the worst I have seen on any show.

Season 5 has limped along with too few interesting stories, little character development, new long term "bad guys", little good action (same karate type fight sequences where Sorbo gets to kick people, and the introduction of the "busty" Doyle character adds nothing to the cast. In fact she detracts from time that could be spent with other regulars. When the season 5 DVD comes out, they should edit the whole season down to about 2 hours, but then it would really not make much sense.

I've heard Sorbo has taken more direct control of the show as it has continued....what a shame. The "artsy" look and inane stories remind one of a boxer well past his prime trying to do what he did years ago and continually getting sent to the mat.

Hercules in space

Author: desmozges from Croatia
10 July 2007

First season or two were great, but that is only what is worth in Andromeda... It seams that Sorbo fired writer and continued to create Andromeda so that he can look like a great hero. At the opening he was just 300 years old starship captain stuck at the edge of the black hole. Later we find out that he is special, and soon after that that he is a member of an ancient race. Also at the opening main characters were equal, an later there is only Hercules, sorry Capt Hunt and every one else is nothing more then a sidekick. And what the hell is the story with Tyr?!? that is the worst turnaround ever in the worst direction. It is sad to see what can one man's ego do to the great and promising show.

In the end, a waste of time

Author: roximunro from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
15 January 2005

After making Gene Rodenberry's Earth: Final Conflict, an interesting idea turned into a meandering pointless series, the gods of cheap-to-make syndicated Canadian TV shows decided to draw one time too many (AGAIN) from the Rodenberry well. The original premise was good, but after Kevin Sorbo fired the head writer, the plots of episode after episode lost any sign of a story arc. Major events in the storyline happened between episodes. Characters lost goals if they ever had any to begin with. I've sat down to watch some episodes and ended up wanting that hour of my life back. The only reason the show is still running is because the profit margin between selling the show to foreign markets and the cost of making episodes is nice and wide. Would it kill them to spend money on better and more consistent writers? And now the whole show has been exiled to some bar on some planet?! I've seen better production values at my high school drama class!

And now they're all hanging out a bar on some little planet?! Good lord, cancel the show. Put the actors out of their, and our, misery.

The only thing I did like about this show was Laura Bertram. She's grown up on television into a very beautiful woman. I like how she played both the purple perky airhead Trance and then the older wiser browner Trance. Maybe her character was an evolved and sentient grape who grows into a raisin?

Doesn't add anything profound to the fabric of sci-fi television

Author: cadfile from Columbus, Ohio
22 May 2005

I was stoked to see Andromeda when it debuted in 2000. Created by the genius behind Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry, the show employed complex archetype characters, story arcs, some interesting effects, sprinkled with some humor.

I would watch the first couple of seasons religiously because I liked the stories and the characters.

While I still catch an episode most weeks, the show evolved.

I think shows should evolve as actors get comfortable in their roles and the writing does the same. Shows tend to get better as the years move forward. Andromeda didn't do that.

The show evolved from a story/character focused drama to an action/adventure throw off.

While the show was still OK to watch, it stopped being something that dragged you in - something to invest in.

It did turn out better than some it didn't really add anything profound to the fabric of sci-fi television.

Pretty Good Show

Author: (iamabravesfan) from Atlanta, GA
3 August 2001

Andromeda is, to my surprise, a pretty good show. At first I thought it would be one of those shows that wouldn't last but five episodes. But it has been proven to me that Andromeda may last long enough for syndication. My advice is to check out at least one episode of this wonderful show.

Uneven quality

Author: Bumbeard from Sweden
2 March 2011

The series starts out good but lost its way because the seasons are very uneven in quality. I thought that the best seasons where season 1,2,4. I didn't like season 3 or 5 at all. I thought that the series forgot the story they where trying to tell.. The acting isn't that great.

So if you're gonna watch some sci-fi there are a lot of better choices out there.

Personally i like many other sci-fi series better, like Firefly,Farscape,Startrek series, and many, many others.

I cant really recommend this series, since there are a lot of better series to see.

After watching the complete seasons in a week...

Author: david-andrea from New Zealand
22 April 2013

I found the whole story line good, there was a theme running through the whole story, with side stories going on around the main thought. Watching this series back to back with no interruptions or ad's it was easy to follow the story through out.

I found the end a bit disappointing, just walking/running off the bridge and the lights turning off was a bit anti climatic. I personally would like to see Dylan fulfill his role more as a Paradime, and see the Commonwealth being established, and struggles related to this, bringing the Netchizans together, maybe even a struggle between this empire with Commonwealth.

I found the CGI great for its time, especially after watching other series that came out around this time as well for the TV, the costumes I loved, great look.

I loved Kevin in his role as Dylan, he seemed to fit into this role well, had a good sense of humour but strong, after researching Kevin as a person I can see some of his character coming out into the character of Dylan, I find these actors good because they make the role their own, example Richard Dean Anderson and his character Jack O'Neil,the humour and love for the Simpsons.

Kevin pulled his character off well, and having strong backing characters on his crew and the actors pulling this off pulled many of the stories together.

I would have loved to be on set for the filming of this, I can see there would have been many laughs. I would love to get hold of a model of the actual Andromeda ship, finding anything from this show is proving to be hard.

I hope that one day a movie is made to just finish up the season and develop the main characters and have a better ending.

Page 3 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]