IMDb > "Malcolm in the Middle" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Malcolm in the Middle"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Malcolm in the Middle" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It So Full Of Mischief That You Will Like It.

Author: Mr_Sensitive from THAILAND, BANGKOK
8 July 2005

This is without doubt the most entertaining family show on TV. Why? Because it not the same boring story that you normally see in family show – that at the end they will forgive and forget each family member for the wrong they have done.

Story: One family, Two Parents, Fours Boys from hell – What could go right? Yeah all you see here is the mischief, and more mischief. The real life situation which being transform into a total hilarious story. That what make Malcolm so special and it very unique story for each week make this make this series fool-proof from boredom, cause you'll never know what next.

There's hardly anything to complain about this series (maybe just one thing – Lois voice while screaming which is Very irritating). Otherwise this is a highly recommended family TV shows especially when you look for hard laugh and a heart worming story.

Recommendation: Watch It!!!! Unless You Hate People Screaming.

Rating: 8.5/ 10 (Grade: A)

Please Rate My Review (Yes or No) After Reading It - Thanks

We have a winner

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
20 March 2000

Malcolm in the Middle is an incredible show. My feeling toward the show was rather mixed when they began showing promos. It looked funny, but silly and unoriginal. After all, the concept of a family that doesn't get along is nothing new. The show turned out to be better than I expected. It's not a live action version of The Simpsons like some critics claim, but it is very funny. Don't be quick to judge the show or you might find the jokes go over your head. Thumbs up on this one.

Fox has created another hit series

Author: Marvin Baker (agprod@bellsouth.net)
9 January 2000

Like Ally McBeal, The X files and The Simpsons, Fox took a chance with an original show that was creative, enjoyable and a breath of fresh air. Fox Network has created another hit series with "Malcolm In The Middle".

Malcolm in the Middle has a stellar cast, intelligent writing & great direction. I'm sure some might find it hard to swallow the cutting edge writing. It's one of the first shows that has the characters actually saying what they feel and not thinking about it and some scenes like the father having his back shaved or the mothers breast could turn off some people. But, this is what makes "Malcolm in the Middle" fresh and funny.

Due to those high-rated stupid game shows that have to give away a million dollars to get you to watch, this show may take time to catch on but all great shows usually do.

"Malcolm in the Middle" deserves to be around long enough to get into syndication.

Excellent

Author: grendelkhan from Xanadu
9 July 2003

One of the most original and funniest shows in many years. In some ways I liken this to a live Simpsons. It both encapsulates and exaggerates real life. The family is a mess, but they do genuinely care for each other. Malcolm, he of the show title, is a genius with all that entails; but, he has a family of maniacs. Brother Reese is a dim thug, but no one picks on his brothers but him. Dewey, until recently youngest, has a rich fantasy life and a devious streak that has grown with each season. Francis, the oldest, is the irresponsible one, a true rebel. He is obsessed with his mother and a mess because of it. He was exiled to military school until emancipating himself and heading off to Alaska. He has since relocated to the Southwest. Hal is the sensitive, but none too bright father; a bit like Homer, without the level of vulgarity. Lois rules the roost, and a good thing too; she's the glue that holds things together. Lois is a true force of nature. The writing and acting in this show is first rate. It is consistently funny, with a certain skewed warmth. This is not an ideal family, but it is closer to reality than most. Even the secondary characters are memorable. So many started out as one-time appearances that grew into regulars; like Craig, Stevie, Lloyd and Dabney. Next to the writing, the casting is the most amazing aspect of this show. Each part has been masterfully filled by a talented actor. The kids are more than cute, they have personality. The adults are marvels,especially Jane Kaczmarek ad Bryan Cranston. Jane is Mother Nature, a force to be reckoned with. Bryan is a master of timing and reaction, as well as an expert in the use of his voice. All of the guest stars leave an impression and even small parts have led to greater roles. The series did struggle in it's most recent season, starting out somewhat uneven; but, it found its center and came on strong in the end. The episodes leading up to the new baby were fantastic, but my favorite was Lois' fantasy of having all girls. What is even more remarkable, is that the episode was conceived by a young girl; the niece (I think) of one of the crew members. It was a brilliant idea and a hilarious episode. This series was worthy of its DVD release. Let's hope there are more seasons to follow on TV, and previous seasons will continue on DVD. And, as to one reviewer's remarks about those "trashy animated shows" that precede Malcolm, the Simpsons is still the finest show on television and the greatest series to emerge in modern television. It is funny, intelligent, insightful, inspiring, annoying, bombastic, crude, vulgar, sweet, sentimental, and wonderful. It is anything but boring. Malcolm owes some of its initial success to the presence of the Simpsons, but stands on its own merit. If only the rest of television comedy could be this good. If only television could be this good.

Truly the best show ever!

Author: look_its_ben from United Kingdom
14 August 2006

This must be one of the best shows in existence!

I have been watching this program since this came on the air back in 2000 and never once have I been disappointed about it! It has its occasional not as funny episode but has kept me laughing all this time as I have just finished watching the last ever episode!

I thought that the last episode was a perfect way to end the 7 season run of the show!

I think one of the things that make this show so popular is that is more like a real life family than anything else on the air. Its a show thats not afraid to show that families do have bad days with each other!

Thanks for reading this comment!

10/10 Show!

Real-life Simpsons

Author: David, Film Freak from Palmerston North, New Zealand
10 December 2001

I see the previews to this show when it was beginning to screen... and I must admit I hated it. I never bothered to watch it.

But I started watching the repeats of season one and have now grown to love it! It's original, extremely funny, outrageous and unpredictable - everything you could want in a comedy.

Jane Kaczmarick and Bryan Cranston both fill each episode with their a brand of unique hilarity all their own, while the brothers Christopher Kennedy Masterton, Justin Berfield and Erik Per Sullivan are all just great.

Special mention to the one and only Malcolm (Frankie Muniz) - star in the making.

A real-life version of The Simpsons - and that line right there should be enough to get people to watch.

Consistently funny and original

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
8 August 2007

When this show first debuted right after THE SIMPSONS, I incorrectly thought it was just a live action knock-off of the Simpson family. While there are some similarities, the show managed to carve out a unique niche for itself due to the show's wonderful ability to tell two or three stories simultaneously and interweave them so well. Plus the humor involving this very dysfunctional family managed to be unique enough that I honestly can't say it was like any other show on television. Excellent writing, casting and enough bizarre plot twists to keep you interested, it's not surprising this show lasted seven seasons. In fact, considering how FOX moved the show around so much, it's a testament to the quality of the show that this didn't kill it--as so often happens when they move shows around without consideration for the audience. In the end, when it was canceled, the show was STILL well written and going strong--and could have perhaps gone on for another season or two.

By the way, as a testament to the great writing, unlike most comedies this one did not use a laugh track because they knew the situations were funny and they didn't need to coax the viewer into laughing--and it didn't insult the intelligence of the audience.

Like real life

Author: Monika-5 from United States
7 December 2000

I like Malcolm in the Middle because the family seems so real. The kids fight and argue all the time and the mom doesn't let them get away with anything! All the kids, especially Frankie Muniz, look like just regular kids messing around, and not precosious, sheltered child actors.

The situations the family gets themselves into are hilarious. I loved the special episode where they were at the water park and Dewey escaped from his baby-sitter Bea Arthur. I think the dad is even dumber than Tim Taylor was on Home Improvement, but the mom perfectly balances him out.

The writing, directing and especially acting are all right on the money. Especially the mom and Frankie Muniz, who also showed his wonderful acting range in My Dog Skip. See this show!

Must see TV.

Author: steveoinsd from United States
20 July 2006

This is the only show that I cannot miss - even in re-runs. It is right up there along-side The Simpsons, 3rd Rock, and Married with Children for style, uniqueness and down-right hilariousness. The writing is amazing, the acting incredible and the characters have been mined from pure gold. I agree and disagree with the comparisons to the Simpsons. The shows are definitely on a par in terms of smarts and humor and the way the plots develop from seemingly random happenings are definitely similar. But to my mind the difference is in the way the jokes are presented: the Simpsons writers pummel you in the gut with punch after hilarious punch while the Malcolm writers hold your head and force you to watch while they cringe-fully punch each other. Genius pure Genius.

One of the funniest shows on television

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
24 October 2005

"Malcolm in the Middle" may have lost a bit of steam recently, but some of the earlier episodes are absolutely, side-splittingly hilarious. Although Malcolm (Frankie Muniz) may be the titular character, it is really Bryan Cranston's characterization of the father figure, Hal, that makes the show so fun to watch. Cranston turns Hal into a boy at heart (as all fathers are) - only, like everything else with the show, extends it into a complete satire and goes completely wacky. This show, for lack of a better word, is crazy.

It's absurd. And it couldn't be any better. The wild antics and over-the-top gags are similar to a cartoon, and even the fast-cut editing between scenes (with the "whoosing" sound) is reminiscent of an animated program.

Like "The Simpsons," "Malcolm" manages to successfully interweave everyday family/social topics into silly plots involving all types of nonsensical stuff. Some of the physical gags are absolutely hilarious - the episode with Hal running out of the supermarket, a parody of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," is gut-busting - but at its heart this really is a tender and witty comedy that manages to be effective on more than one level.

The rest of the cast are great too. It really "feels" like a genuine family. They bicker, they complain, they whine and moan and fight - this is America today. If we were to go back fifty years in a time capsule and present this to the "I Love Lucy" crowds, they'd be shocked.

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]