IMDb > Meet the Parents (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Meet the Parents

Meet the Parents More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 52: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

The most over-rated movie of the decade

Author: ed249 (ed249@excite.com) from Arkansas, United States
9 September 2001

This has to be absolutely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The jokes were obnoxious and overdone, and the editors should have left the first two hours on the cutting room floor. The last bit is verges on being almost entertaining but you have to wade through the rest of the movie to get there. Definitely a must skip movie.

I want my money back

Author: Ed-90 from New England
12 October 2000

This is perhaps the worst film I have seen in ten years. It simply was not funny...the gags were predictable (His name was "Focker"...her middle name Martha...they marry and what's her full name???) Awful. Not even DeNiro can save this one. The theater wasn't 1/3 full, and only a little red haired lady in the back would laugh now and then...I walked out it was so bad, and really would like my money back.

Oh Robert, What has become of you?!?!?!?!?

Author: Numchuck from Warrington, England
24 June 2001

Meet The Parents is a comedy.

Now, keep telling yourself this while you sit through the film, otherwise it can become very easy to forget that you're supposed to be laughing and not slipping in and out of consciousness.

The plot could be written on the back of a postage stamp (as could the details of every successful joke), the acting quite frankly ain't upto much and the script could have been written by an 8 year old.

The only positive comment I could possibly make about this film is that it was quite short.

0 out of 10.

Boring and just plain bad.

Author: Ian Scott from United Kingdom
24 March 2003

Before I was forced to watch this movie I had already guessed the story. Some of the gags were amusing but they just had Ben Stiller, aka Gaylord 'Greg' Focker, messing up EVERY single thing. It made the movie very tired.

This movie could've been much better (but not less predictable) if they'd had half as many gags but made them more likely and deeper.

Not one of Robert De Niro's better moments. Shame really.

If you've seen the preview, don't bother with the movie.

Author: eebert from California
17 October 2000

My girlfriend and I saw Meet the Parents and both thought it was terrible. My sister saw it and walked out 10 minutes in, which is maybe a little extreme.

If you've seen the preview you've already seen every joke in the movie. So basically they've managed to cram 30 seconds worth of humor into a 90 minute movie.

Somehow even the jokes from the preview fell flat in the theater.

Easy Humor

Author: blumdeluxe
1 October 2017

"Meet the parents" deals with a young man who is supposed to meet the family of his girlfriend for the first time. As he arrives at the house of the seemingly wealthy elderly couple, a chain reaction of bad luck begins that lets him stand in very poor light before his girlfriend's family.

This is a classic example of a Hollywood comedy aiming at larger audiences. The humor it works with is a very easy one, mostly slapstick, and takes up such a large amount of the film that it can be considered the dominating element. Some of the jokes work, some are rather dull, it's surely not fine humor. There are some logical errors but I guess those are not all too important in a movie like this one. I think that the film will work for many people, it is professionally produced and stars a lot of well known actors.

All in all this is a solid comedy that doesn't deliver anything unexpected to make it a more special film. It is entertaining and doesn't get boring throughout all of its play-time, but your expectations shouldn't be too high.

A perfectly passable way to pass the time

Author: Ethan Jones from England
13 August 2017

MEET THE PARENTS - 2000

Directed by Jay Roach

Starring Ben Stiller, Robert De Niro and Terri Polo

Plot Overview:​ Everything that can possibly go wrong for groom-to-be Greg Focker (Ben Stiller) does. The problems begin with Greg's disastrous first meeting with his girlfriend's family -- most notably her intimidating father Jack Byrnes (Robert De Niro) and it's all downhill from there.

This is a fine movie. It isn't good. It is not great. It is a perfectly passable way to spend your time. There is an odd trend with comedy movies I have watched recently. A painfully long and slow start with no laughs or smiles but then then, when the ball gets rolling, I start to consistently laugh. I am confident that people will find this movie infinitely more funny and interesting than me but then I guess I am just not their demographic. And that is unfortunate.

The idea for this movie is pretty fun and I have no doubt relatable to many. As to the actual plot, it is competently written and has a flowing narrative but I think they set it up way too much to make Focker seem loathsome. The situations he gets into are logical with the plot and are sometimes funny but they went way overboard with making me dislike Focker. I like the ending; it's funny and works well within context of the plot.

I don't like Ben Stiller as an actor in most things he is in and that is no different here. His performance is pretty lazy and his character is so loathsome that I couldn't in good conscience root for him. I can not stand his character. He possessed no charming or likable qualities and was just an all around boring character.

Robert De Niro was great in this movie. He cracked the perfect balance of lovable and loathsome and did it with a smile. Jack is a really fun and interesting character and both supports and negates the overall stereotype that the film is about.

The performances from the supporting cast were all fine but I wasn't interested in any of their characters.

The editing and cinematography were both passable.

This movie started off REALLY slow and unfunny but, as time progressed, the jokes began to hit more and more frequently and I found myself laughing a lot more than I did in the beginning. That said, I didn't laugh nearly as much as I would usually do in a comedy. The gags became stale for me and it all relied on the characters being in 'hilarious and awkward situations'. This worked on occasion but the more they did it, the less fun it became.

De Niro's performance and the occasional funny moments give me enough to cautiously recommend this movie. See it if you must but I can't say you will become enlightened. I'll rate his film 6 Spray- painted cats out of 10!

You'll love this movie. I promise.

Author: Ricky Fontaine
9 August 2017

Instant classic. All i can say is, if you have the same type of sense of humor that i do, then you will laugh your ass off through this entire film. Robert D. Is obviously a comedic genius and Ben S. Is amazing as in his role as well. Both did an excellent job with what they had to work with and i recommend this film to ANYBODY who wants to laugh. I dare you to watch this movie without laughing at Least once. I double dog dare you. :)

Did not like the Main Character

Author: Carrie Knight from USA
21 February 2017

********May contain spoilers***********I really tried to like this movies and did enjoy a few parts. De Niro was great and so was Owen Wilson's part. I couldn't get past the blank reactions Focker always had to his massive screw ups that caused damage and *****spoiler****really hated when he slammed the ball into the bride's face right before her wedding and just sat there looking stupid instead of the normal human reaction of being mortified, jumping up to help and apologizing profusely.*****spoiler***I thought his character lacked character. He kept lying and acting scared and stupid and then he was arrogant and rude at other times. He was a real creep that I couldn't stand which made the entire movie very unpleasant to me.

Those meetings are an ordeal

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
14 September 2016

Robert DeNiro in one of his occasional forays into comedy is both funny and terrifying as the dad from hell who scares away all of his daughter Teri Polo's boyfriends and potential husbands in Meet The Parents. Those meetings are an ordeal especially when this man who was from the CIA and specializes in subtle and not so subtle interrogation techniques and has his house bugged in every which way.

The latest boyfriend is Ben Stiller who has been living with Polo and now they want to make it official. The fact they're together without benefit of clergy is enough to disqualify him from the start so Polo says let's not mention it. The second is that Stiller is a male nurse and that's not quite manly enough for dad to see as a profession for a son-in-law.

Observing it all and keeping mum is Mom, Blythe Danner. One wonders how she hooked up with DeNiro all those years.

Stiller and DeNiro really have the comic timing down beautifully. For Stiller this is old hat for DeNiro this is a chance to show his versatility. Best scene is the whole sequence at the airport as Stiller has decided he's had enough. He learns as well all know is that there's no such thing as ex-CIA.

Two sequels have been made from Meet The Parents and who knows there may be more. I hope so.