IMDb > Meet the Parents (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Meet the Parents

Meet the Parents More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 51: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Funny but Gaylord lacks strength

Author: SnoopyStyle
13 October 2013

Greg Focker (Ben Stiller) is a happy male nurse who has a great girlfriend Pam Byrnes (Teri Polo). He wants to propose to her, but have to get her father Jack's (Robert De Niro) permission. Only Jack isn't the trusting kind.

This starts off pretty much as expected with awkward uncomfortable interactions. The movie goes from awkward laughs to uncomfortable silences. The lie detector scene is especially funny. What makes it problematic for me is that Focker is a bit of a weasel. He's constantly trying to lie his way out of things. It's not a likable trait.

I'm not talking about the cat lie. That's a defensible move. But he's too weasely even when it makes no sense. When Kevin (Owen Wilson) is getting his goat, Greg tries to puff himself up even though Jack is right there who could easily out him. It's in his nature and that's a problem.

The movie has a lot of fun, and the ending is heart warming. But I have to downgrade it a little for Greg's personality. Ben Stiller plays him a little too pathetic when it would be better to have a little confidence. It's better to have him as a reasonable nice man who's dealing with a crazy Jack. He needs to be more a straight man.

Plenty Of Cringe Moments And A Terrific Cast Add For A Very Funny And Enjoyable Movie,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
30 September 2012

Meet The Parents is a brilliant movie with a terrific storyline,cast,characters,plenty of cringe moments and some very funny scenes that make this such a great movie,and some of Ben Stillers finest.There where two more sequels so far,Meet The Fockers and Little Fockers,a lot of critics feel they didn't live up to the original,but I think there all great and that they continue to make more.

Greg Focker (Ben Stiller) is going to meet his girlfriend Pam Byrnes (Teri Polo) parents.He is prepared for her sisters wedding and just know her parents will like him,however he didn't expect her to have a father like Jack Byrnes (Robert De Niro),and things don't go exactly as planned for Greg.

"A So-So Comedy"

Author: Gatto Nero from United States
27 September 2012

The only reason I watched this film because it has starring one of my favorite actors of all times: De Niro. he wasn't the De Niro I'm use to seeing and expecting from other films. playing a retired CIA type, OK I guess and that's because I'm basing it on his past film work. I figured he could get away with it. Him playing Teri Polo's dad, don't think so. Didn't work for me. Blythe Danner did a way more believable job as her mom. They kinda look like each other also. Danner didn't have to much to do here, the whole film really revolves around De Niro vs Stiller.

Ben did and still does a good job playing these geek-like/ white-bread types. I could not identify with him at all because I am more of an aggressive type and would never stoop so low as to impress my future father-in-law the way Ben does here. So the scenes where he is trying his best to impress DeNiro's uptight, conservative, anal-type ex-CIA guy just is not funny to me. It's annoying. I'm like if she loves me and I love her, then the hell with what anyone thinks, especially our parents.

Teri polo did an excellent job as Ben's love. You can actually believe he is doing and taking all this BS for a girl like that. it's funny that she turns out not to be all that Ben thought she was. She was living a very care-free almost purely sexual relationship with Owen Wilson's character!! In which Ben knew nothing at all of it! she saved all explanation though by saying, she loves Ben and that she never ever really "loved' Owen! Ka-Ching! Hooked!

Owen Wilson did a good job also as the former love of Teri. Owen was just being Owen-Obnoxious, basically himself. He still carries a torch for Teri. (He still has all the pictures of he and her doing all kinds of adventures like :Sky-diving, skiing, bungee-jumping, etc..) All things Ben has not done with her yet! Yet he still stays because why? ....She loves him. Awww... Give me a break! Yeah right.

Character actor James Rebhorn does very little here except basically be set background. He plays Teri's sister future father-in-law since his son is actually marrying Teri's sister.

The cat scenes and the weird airport lady scenes which includes the on the plane scene which Adam Sandler also used for his Anger Management movie, in which Sandler has a similar scene, is almost a bit way funnier than anything else in the film. But if I wanted to watch cute pets, I could have easily seen any America's funniest video's. BUT ANYWAYS, The film was good enough to make a sequel. And in the end it's not half bad considering all the talent that really was involved. A first time pairing for some. now that's always a treat to any film-watcher.

Not painfully funny to me, just painful

Author: motorfocus82 from United States
23 August 2012

Five out of ten isn't a horrible review, and I'm giving it because everyone looks at these kinds of things differently and the theme of the movie was simply the opposite of what I find enjoyable to watch. The movie was well-produced, well-paced, and well-acted, so I'm not faulting it on its technical merits. It's all perspective, and I know that. Some fool on here said the thing was all about power and control and anti- Semitism among WASPS, which simply doesn't scan at all to me and seems to indicate that some people really want to see things how they always see them anyway.

The problem that I have with the movie is that pretty much the entire thing revolves around 'embarrassment humor'. Quite simply, I empathized with Greg's character enough that I didn't like watching him get beat on for nearly two hours, watching him make things worse for himself by being both stupid and pathetic, and then have a five minute resolution at the end that makes it all 'worth it'. It's just not funny to me. Rather, it's about the last thing I want to subject myself to, especially in the guise of a comedy. Some people enjoy this kind of thing, I guess because they're glad it isn't them or can think back to a time it WAS them and be glad it's over. Don't get me wrong, there needs to be some tension in any film and the risk of embarrassment works very well, even for me, in moderate doses. But this wasn't moderate. Watching 'The Passion of the Christ' is less painful for me, because as I see it, physical pain happens. This kind of social pain is more unjust.

Good scenes? The cat milking discussion was hilarious. The lie detector scene was fun. The resolution at the end was far from adequate, but still a good scene. DeNiro is a far better comic actor than he's given credit for, and Stiller has made much of his career by being victimized by various forces on screen, so of course he does it well. It was just overload as far as I'm concerned.

Good for a few chuckles, not laugh out loud funny though.

Author: lancecherubin
20 February 2011

This is a decent comedy which provides quite a few laughs and entertainment throughout. The spoken humor is not very funny except for the constant use of the very unique surname "focker"; but the screw up jobs that Greg keeps employing in an effort to impress Pam's father were enjoyable. I would have rated this movie higher, but there are some points which are very boring and uninteresting, but the few exciting moments cover up nicely to save this film from being a complete bore. Overall this is a fairly enjoyable romantic comedy which effectively uses play on words to keep its audience amused when the plot does not have much going for it.

Kinda unusual role for Robert De Niro

Author: kurciasbezdalas from Lithuania
25 October 2008

This film was great but I needed some time to get use to idea that Robert De Niro is playing in comedy. I've seen many his movies and in most of them he's playing gangster I've never seen him playing in comedy before but he was actually very suitable for this role. All other actors did a great job too, especially Ben Stiller. There were many funny and memorable moments. The idea of this film itself was very good for a comedy. I heard that this movie is a remake and I really would like to see an original bu it's kinda hard to find. I haven't see the sequel yet but I definitely gonna do it because Meet the Parents is one of the best comedies I've seen.

Decent film

Author: CKCSWHFFAN from home
31 August 2008

I enjoy this film & it's follow up "Meet the Fockers". Certainly NOT the best film ever made-far from it. Enjoyable. I am NOT a fan of Ben Stiller's. This is 1 of the 4 films I like where he is in a starring role. The other 2 "Night at the Museum" & "There's Something About Mary" HE BASICALLY PLAYED THE SAME ROLE IN ALL 3 FILMS. A nobody reacting to things going on around him & overreacting.

I actually like the follow up film more than the original. Another negative of the original: Owen Wilson Only got to see him briefly in the 2cd film.

Randy Newman's same old music-we've heard in films over the years & they all sound the same.

Good NOT GREAT extras on the DVD package.

Hard to feel for Stiller's character in either film when his character lies all the time.

The speeding to get back to Jack's (DeNiro's) house because of the Jinx? the cat lost bit. WHERE WAS THE NEEDED REACTION FROM THE OTHER CHARACTERS ABOUT GREG SPEEDING & BEING UNSAFE?

Funny Movie

Author: jts0405 from United States
26 August 2008

Meet the Parents is the original of the two movies that deal with the relationship of Gaylord 'Greg' Focker (Ben Stiller) and Pam Byrnes (Teri Polo). So basically this movie mostly consists on Focker traveling with his girlfriend for a wedding to also meet her parents. From start to finish this movie entertains and definitely delivers the laughs. Robert De Niro is normally known as a serious actor and even though he may come off as a little serious in this movie, he definitely is funny as hell when he plays Jack Byrnes. So definitely check out Meet the Parents if you get the chance, because it will definitely entertain you from the opening to end credits when you put it in the DVD player.

Stiller Strikes Again

Author: postmanwhoalwaysringstwice from usa
27 November 2007

It's not entirely clear why Ben Stiller continues to get work and acclaim for his performances, since he really doesn't do much at all. His main role in any given film is to stand there and look dumbfounded as the world falls apart around him. He played one of his most successful versions of this when he played Gaylord Focker. The first time was in "Meet the Parents", which was a remake of a little seen independent film. Stiller plays a male nurse, a detail that punctuates several of the running jokes. He goes home with his fiancée for a wedding, at which point Murphy's Law strikes, his patience is tested, and all of that.

Robert DeNiro is here too, fresh off his uncharacteristic comic turn in "Analyze This". He plays the fiancée's overbearing, ultra-critical, highly suspicious father. It's a role that was originally slated for Christopher Walken, who would have ruined it with an added sense of creepiness. The main meat of the film comes from the tug-of-war between DeNiro's psychological testing and Stiller's struggle to be heard and accepted. This is a classic formula that works surprisingly well as a modern-day screwball comedy, given the weaknesses in Stiller and his irritating and frequent co-star Owen Wilson.

"Meet the Parents" is a formulaic comedy with a bit of a dark streak. It's a decent movie with some memorable bits, but it's more of a trial to get through than enjoyable which is something ironed out in time for the sequel.

DeNiro and Stiller make a surprisingly effective comic duo...

Author: Isaac5855 from United States
28 March 2007

MEET THE PARENTS was the surprise hit of 2000 that firmly established comic credentials for dramatic actor Robert DeNiro and put Ben Stiller on the map. Ben plays Greg Focker, a male nurse who after becoming engaged to a schoolteacher (Teri Polo) nervously agrees to accompany her to her sister's wedding in order to meet his future father-in-law (DeNiro). Greg is naturally freaking out and try as he may, once he and Dad meet, everything that can go wrong for Greg does and it just gets worse for him as the story progresses. Stiller is wonderful as the hassled and harried everyman whose intentions are always good but the end results are never what he planned. But the real surprise here is two-time Oscar winner DeNiro in a deft comic turn as Jack Burns, the father-in-law from hell who turns out to be a former CIA agent. DeNiro proves to be equally adept at comedy here, instinctively knowing when to take center stage and when to let young Stiller shine. Polo is attractive as Pam, the woman caught between these two guys and Blythe Danner is lovely as Jack's wife and Pam's mother. Owen Wilson also provides some grins as Pam's ex-fiancée who Jack adores. Though the misery that gets heaped on Greg throughout the length of the film seems to be a bit much, the smart screenplay and attractive cast make for an entertaining comic romp. Followed by a sequel called MEET THE FOCKERS.