IMDb > Meet the Parents (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Meet the Parents

Meet the Parents More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 51: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

I just loved this movie and I'm normally not a Ben Stiller fan

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
6 April 2005

I know it's a bit weird, but I saw "Meet the Fockers" before I saw this movie. The reason for that is because I hadn't had the chance yet to see this one, when I went with some friends to the cinema and they all wanted to see the sequel. They all loved the first one, so I didn't mind giving "Meet the Fockers" a try. And all I can say about it is that I was rather disappointed by it. The only thing that made me believe this one was better, was because my friends didn't like the sequel all that much either.

In this movie we see Gaylord 'Greg' Focker (Ben Stiller) who wants to ask his girlfriend (Teri Polo) to marry him. But first he'll have to meet her parents, because her strict father (Robert DeNiro) expects to be asked for his daughter's hand before she can accept. Normally meeting the parents of your fiancée shouldn't be too bad, but Jack Byrnes is a former CIA agent who never has liked any of his daughter's boyfriends and Greg Focker won't be an exception to that rule. He makes Greg's life miserable, while Murphy's Law does the rest by turning Greg into a master of disaster...

I have to admit that I didn't have too high expectation about this movie after seeing the sequel, but now I know one thing for sure: they should have stopped with the first one, because this is an excellent comedy. I was laughing all the time and really liked it enormously. Even though I'm not a big Ben Stiller fan (I hated "Zoolander" and wasn't all too keen on "Duplex" and "Meet the Fockers"), I must say that he did a great job in this movie. Together with Robert De Niro he's the main reason why you should watch this movie. I give it at least a 7.5/10

Spectacularly unfunny

Author: RNMorton from West Chester, Pa
14 December 2003

Stiller meets his girlfriend's parents, including former spook De Niro. To describe the humor as broad would be an understatement, but regardless of description it's not very funny. Question - when Hollywood identifies characters as Christians why do they always make them out to be nasty dopes? Answer - I don't know, and I don't know why this movie is so bad either. 5/10

"I Never Laughed so hard in my life"

Author: Jerry Splat from London, England
8 July 2001

"Meet The Parents" is a movie that must be seen with a group of friends to get the most mileage out of it. Anything that can go wrong goes wrong when Greg Fokker (Ben Stiller) meets his father in law (Robert De Niro). I thought it was really sweet the way Greg tried proposing to his fiance with the group of school children holding up signs "Will you Marry Me?" and it was really funny when the kids had trouble spelling it. Every time (Robert De Niro) calls greg by his last name "Fokker" it brought me to a whole new round of tears and laughter. This movie has something for everybody and it's about time a movie came out poking fun of things that all of must go through - to MEET THE PARENTS! If you have'nt seen it go run out and get it - you'll love it!!!

My former in-laws-oye

Author: Benjamin Wolfe from USA
8 July 2009

This has to be the most uncomfortably hilarious comedy I have seen or I should say felt involved with in years. The whole family and their friends VS Mr.Gaylord Focker (Ben Stiller). A father-in-law to be is not just an overly literal and abundantly-overbearing wall in the way of the progress of asking with the best intentions for the man's daughters hand in marriage. Every time he turns around someone in that family of Pam's is verbally being cold blooded or condescending toward Greg Focker aka Gaylord, and then laughing about it. Or even accusing him of doing things that he hasn't done. With a case of nerves as it is it doesn't help to be even more nervous and doing something by mistake that will be under a finer micro-scope by the parents and friend of the wedding party. From the supposed pot smoking that they accused him of to lying about his taking the 'M Cats' test to anything else that they feel like saying to him, or about him. This reminded me of my past in-laws. What a freaking mess.The breakfast scene where he enters their kitchen in pjs and the grooms mother quips, "looks like someone had a visit from the hair fairy." Then on Greg's way out of the kitchen to go shower, he jokes and sez, "Well I guess it's time for me to visit the shower fairy." And everyone just looks at him as if to say 'Oh Greg grow up'. I can identify with most of this whole feature. The director was brilliant in making an awkwardly close to the bone for me, movie about unwed bliss. DeNiro is masterful in this role. He is simply the one that fits it to a tee. Well scripted and maintained through out the entire story, this one with Owen Wilson was a spectacle to look and laugh and cringe at all at the same time while feeling awkward and gawky and nervously smiling with the rest of the nervous fiancée's out there.

This was a one of a kind fun-filled slightly bend out of shape picture with an original feel, that makes it not equal to all the other cinema fare out there that 'comes and goes' with little staying power.

Jay Roach is a cool and talented director. Keep up the great work. Recommended (****) See it with a buddy.

Funny Movie by funny actors.

Author: denis666 from Bulgaria
16 March 2005

Meet the Parents is a good movie.Directed by Jay Roach.And the actors for the movie are perfectly picked.Everybody fits in his own character.It is a story about the love but this love is a tough job.The main character is Greg Focker.He is a nurse in the literally meaning of the word.His girlfriend is Pam who is a teacher of little children.They are both in love.The problem is that Greg has to live in Pam's family's house.And her family is not that good.Actually her mother is very nice woman who just want to help for the happiness of her daughter.The problem is Jack.Her father.He is a man of his word.He loves his daughter and he can kill if somebody hurt her.The meeting begins good but the first mistake that Greg makes is that he says,he doesn't like cats and then a fluffy little cat goes in the hands of Jack.There are many jokes and fun.Even some intensive moments.The movie is one great big fun.Robert De Niro himself is the strict father and Ben Stiller is Greg.I give this movie 8 cause it is really a classic in the comedy genre.Enjoy.

A well executed comedy!

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
16 October 2004

This movie might very well be one of the best executed comedies I've ever seen! Most of the jokes and situations are predictable but they are executed so well that it's funny nevertheless.

The key element of the movie are the two male lead characters played by Ben Stiller and Robert De Niro. Robert De Niro basicaly plays 'Robert De Niro the guy who played dozens of gangster roles' which because of that makes all off his scene's fun to watch at. Just the way he looks through his eyes at times is enough to make you laugh. He perfectly knows how to make fun of his image. Owen Wilson also shows up, in a fun role.

The timing in this movie is spot on. The movie is filled with jokes and good comical situations. Director Jay Roach shows that he also can handle other comedies beside the "Austin Powers" movies. I can't wait to see what he has made of the sequel "Meet the Fockers".

One of the best comedies I've seen in years!

One of those rare comedies that has everything!

Author: DAVID SIM from United Kingdom
25 November 2003

When I first heard about this film, I had my doubts Robert De Niro could do comedy. His previous work has never really embraced the art of slapstick. But I'm happy to say he pulled this particular role off in spades. Meet the Parents and Midnight Run are among his finest comedies because of the way they skillfully avoid conventional clichés.

It begins with male nurse Greg Focker (Ben Stiller, and yes, Focker is his actual name) wanting to propose to his girlfriend Pam Byrnes (Teri Polo). But just as he's about to pop the question, he learns her sister Debbie is about to get married. But her fiancé asked her father's permission first, so Greg decides to do the same before he marries Pam.

He uses Debbie's wedding as an opportunity to meet Pam's parents, where he can ask for permission. So far, so good. But things quickly take a downward spiral for Greg. Pam's father Jack Byrnes (Robert De Niro) takes an instant dislike to Greg, (being a male nurse doesn't help matters) and in his eyes, Greg can't do a thing right.

Much to Greg's consternation, Jack was in the CIA for 34 years. Jack is an expert at spotting lies, and Greg's eagerness to please leads him to tell harmless white lies that balloon into an elaborate web of lies. They become so elaborate (Greg is a dab-hand at cat-milking) even Greg can't keep up with them. Because of this, every attempt he makes to please Jack backfires in a spectacular fashion.

From losing the cat, Mr Jinks (who Jack is crazy about), to burning down the wedding altar, Greg is a potential accident waiting to happen. The reason I like Meet the Parents is because it's one of those rare comedies that has everything. Ben Stiller does an excellent job trying to appear like a suitable husband to be, and making a complete mess of things (the dinner table scene is a definite highlight). Not to mention how hilarious it is watching Greg back himself into corners and then trying to squirm his way out of them.

Robert De Niro is also excellent, using his trademark sinister characteristics to great effect when judging Greg. They both have a terrific chemistry, and every gag in the film is tailor-made for their talents. A lot of people can relate to Greg in this film, because of meeting prospective parents to be and how to relate to them properly. A lot of their "heart to hearts" are hilarious, especially the way they degenerate into nightmarish situations for Greg:

"Right now look Focker. I'm a patient man. That's what 19 months in a Vietnamese prison camp will do to you. Now I will be watching you. Studying your every move. And if I find that you are trying to corrupt my first-born child, I will bring you down baby! I will bring you down to Chinatown!"

Mrs Byrnes is good too (Blythe Danner), who's brilliantly quirky and all the more likable for it. She's the only member of the family that likes Greg, while the others unfairly crucify him every chance they get. Although at times, it's understandable why they do.

Owen Wilson puts in an excellent performance as Pam's oh-so-perfect ex-boyfriend Kevin. He stands out very well among the whole family, while some of the others fade into the background. That may be the only complaint I have. With so many family members present they're not given enough to do.

Without giving too much away, the film has an ending that is very satisfying. Greg going insane at an air-hostess is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a film, as is Greg getting a few things off his chest about being Jack's son-in-law.

Overall, the jokes range from small to enormous. Some are packed away into the background for you to find. Like a rare flower Greg buys to impress Jack. To the casual observer its a flower pot filled with soil. Because the flower hasn't bloomed yet. In a later scene, the pot is put with the other flowers, where it looks really out of place. Its jokes like these that impress the most for the way the filmmakers don't draw attention to them. Subtle puns that only further illustrate how far apart Greg stands from the Byrnes clan. Which is why you feel such sympathy for Greg while you're laughing at his misfortunes. A rare thing.

A magnificent film, and the best comedy I've seen since Groundhog Day. Because of it's simple theme and a stellar cast, Meet the Parents becomes something quite special. It avoids all of the obvious pitfalls, it never becomes tedious, and there's quite a bit of subtlety to the slapstick as the embarrassing humiliations escalate steadily.

I can't wait for the sequel!

Hilarious!

Author: exdumpling from Oklahoma
21 November 2002

I noticed that some people have said that the gags in this movie are unfunny and predictable... they complained about not very many laugh-out-loud gags. I completely disagree.

This movie is one of the smartest comedies of the last few years. It does not rely on gross-out gags (like Something About Mary, etc...) and still manages to be hilarious. All of the humor is contained in the intelligence of the writing and the tenseness of the situations in the movie. Yes, you feel very sorry for Greg, but it feels OK in this movie to laugh at his expense.

When I initially saw the previews for this movie a few years ago I had no desire to see it, as it seemed like it would be just like any other generic comedy. I only ended up seeing it because I had nothing better to do some random Friday night. I was very pleasantly surprised!

This movie is not at all a generic comedy. The gags are brilliantly crafted and completely original. I think that people who think this movie is generic do not appreciate intelligent, non-bathroom humor. The praying scene and Jack's poem at the dinner table are brilliant. Also Greg's run-in with the flight attendant is great.

Maybe the thing that really did it for me in this movie is that, despite their weirdness, Pam's family is completely believable and real. I actually know people like that. There is a whole culture of upper-class people who really do behave like the Byrnes family in this movie. I thought it was hilarious that the movie was making fun of that culture (I am also reminded of the groom's family in My Big Fat Greek Wedding). That part really struck home with me and made the movie even more funny.

Great movie! Not generic at all! Very original and laugh-out-loud funny.

Funny and pretty realistic too!

Author: Jennifer (jjo999) from Elmwood Park, IL
4 June 2005

I usually don't laugh as many times as I did while watching Meet the Parents. This comedy was hilarious and I enjoyed watching the relationship between Robert DeNiro and Ben Stiller on the screen. One of the things I liked most about this movie was that it stayed focused on the plot. It didn't go off in different directions and it maintained a sense of reality that a lot of comedies lack. At the same time, it was funny from beginning to end. I'd have to say that another thing that makes this movie work well is that the relationship between Gaylord (Greg) and Pam is already in progress from the start of the movie so the viewer is immediately able to get to know the two of them and the relationship they have with each other. I have no complaints about this movie.

The worst movie since "Moving" ...

Author: ejm-2 from San Francisco, CA
8 March 2001

What more can I say than this is the worst movie I have ever seen! How could this many things go wrong, with a girlfriend who is so oblivious to her father's real motives and a family that is so psycho, and this drippy character doesn't even consider leaving! Horrible! I'm so glad I only rented this movie, but then again I don't get the satisfaction of walking out of the theatre.