IMDb > Meet the Parents (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Meet the Parents

Meet the Parents More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 52: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Awful, Awful

Author: fiteclub! from this review was written for DFC-2
9 October 2000

This film is an uneven mess. It is funny for about 10-15 minutes at the beginning, and for maybe 45 seconds (possibly two minutes) at the end. The rest of the film is a horrible monstrosity.

After the initial, fifteen minutes (I'll be generous), the film suddenly falls in love with its gross-out comedy. It began as a kinda strange, funny film about characters. There's unspoken tension between Stiller and DeNiro, and it was very funny. Then the film becomes a slapstick gross out mess of a film, and the jokes were seen miles away. The tragedy is that even when they're being set up we already know they will not be funny, so when they are finally delivered, we completely hate them.

At around the midpoint, you find the film too absurd to be taken seriously, and from there it only gets worse. The characters are so uneven and poorly written that you don't even really care what they say or do.

Things get more and more absurd and less and less funny as the film goes on and on (and on and on). Clueless Director Jay Roach clearly had a vision for this film, but it's a shame his crew didn't share the same vision. It's obvious that no one knew what the hell they were doing in this atrocity besides the director. And it's the irony of ironies that this happens to be one of the worst American directors working today.

This film is much, much worse than those Austin Powers films Roach directed, and I think that's saying quite a lot. In fact-

Wait, wait, what the hell am I doing writing this review? Why am I still typing? This film is awful-stay away! It doesn't even deserve my time in writing a decent review. If they didn't put that much effort into their film, why should I put that much effort into this?

Meet the new generation of "unfunny" movie.

Author: hmmod9 from Ireland
18 November 2006

This film was a very lame attempt at been humorous. The jokes were poor, overcooked and could be seen at least two lines before hand. I didn't have a decent laugh during the whole movie and was sorry I wasted my time viewing it until the end. The worst thing about this type of baloney is that a new genre of film seems to have been invented by some studios i.e. "unfunny" funny film whose only reason for existence is to lull the viewing audience into some sort of trite "twilight zone", letting them think that they go home in a jovial and entertained mood where the exact opposite is the case as the discerning viewer goes home unfulfilled, cheated and slightly disgruntled. Unfortunately, we have been exposed to a plethora of these films for too long as more and more of this type of banal movie is served up appealing to increasingly demoralized audiences as certain movie makers lose sight of the hilarious belly busters of yesteryear with their razor sharp script writers, ludicrous plots and acting beyond belief. They have become nothing more that "cash cows" for some actors to make a few extra dollars to keep them in the lifestyle that they have been accustomed to and are disingenuous to both, us their audience, and true comedians alike.

Delivers on Comedy Tense

Author: Floated2
7 February 2015

Meet The Parents (2000) introduces Greg (Ben Stiller) and Pam with silly quirks that come up later in the story. Pam's parents are also quite the treat; the movie does not go over the top but portrays them with serious humor and charismatic wit. It is DeNiro and Stiller who make the movie, however. The filmmakers take advantage of the phenomenal tension between Greg and Jack, and place them in one hilarious situation after another.

The more Stiller gets in trouble, the more painful it gets, the better Stiller gets, the more the audience laugh. There is also a part from Owen Wilson. Stiller and Wilson have made a lot of films together as their scenes always work. The way we see DeNiro slowly gets harder and harder on Greg is timely pacing among the directors choice decision.

Great cast for a laugh

Author: iKodak
16 November 2014

I like this movie; It's a comedy that depicts what happens when a man is introduced to his girlfriend's family for the first time. This guy ends up getting himself into a world of trouble that he never expected. The great actors truly make the film. First, Robert De Niro gives an great performance in this film and is absolutely funny. Ben Stiller (Greg) as the male lead is his usual funny self. Finally, Owen Wilson is also responsible for a lot of laughs throughout the film. The casting for this movie does not disappoint.

The problems he faces will have you in stitches and one of the best things about this movie is that everyone can relate. We all have those awkward moments that make us cringe. Regardless of your embarrassing situation, Greg has probably gotten into something worse. You can't help but laugh hysterically at his expense.

Finally, I really like how just when everything seems to finally be going right, it can turn around in an instant. So many times you think that Greg is finally going to make a good impression but he messes things like only him can, sending you into inevitable laughter. Overall, this is a great movie with a mix of a ton of laughs and a love story all rolled into one. If you're looking for a pick-me-up, this is undoubtedly the movie for you.

the circle of trust or circle on the outside

Author: 2karl- from Ireland
28 September 2014

well here is my review of a hilarious film by director Jay Roache set in New York we meet the nurse Gaylord Focker as he sees his Pamela Byrnes who looks after kids he wants to get married but has meet the future family in laws so in this funny film witch is dying for a sequel as focker as a last name is going to meet her parents cue scenes of mistrust fires circle of mistrust prayers cats septic tanks volleyball car race I am watching you teddy bears cue a hilarious scene with jacks wife with Ben stiller watching the television with the camera pointing at the mothers legs with jack mistrusting him doing a polygraph test on Gaylord fockers as he was a undercover agent so he knows what going on this film is short but brilliant film I gave it 8/10 and Owen Wilson cameo is just hilarious cant wait for the next one

Robert De Niro Proves That He Is Great At Comedy

Author: Desertman84 from United States
20 September 2014

This comedic film is a story of numerous unfortunate events that a good-hearted and charming but hapless nurse experiences when he visits his girlfriend's parents.Robert De Niro and Ben Stiller stars together with Teri Polo, Blythe Danner, and Owen Wilson.It was written by Jim Herzfeld and John Hamburg; and it was directed by Jay Roach.

Greg Focker goes to the parents' house of his girlfriend Pam Byrnes at Long Island.Her girlfriend's sister is about to get married during their upcoming trip and Greg sees this as an opportunity to ask her and her parents' permission to marry him.As he gets introduced her parents,things go awry as Pam's father Jack has an obvious dislike for him and his occupation as a Nurse.Added to that,Jack also sees a big difference between their families as Greg happens to be grubby while Pam's family are well-mannered.It was also clear that Jack sees Greg as relatively unambitious.As the film progresses,the viewer also realizes that Jack has worked for the CIA for 34 years and implements some plans to destroy the house and the wedding in the process.

Robert DeNiro gives his best comedic performance in this film.Added to that,his chemistry with Ben Stiller was so great and believable that the viewer will be instantly hooked into the film.It will definitely elicit lots of laughter from the viewer as it has a garden variety of comic relief that ranges from slapstick,offensive jokes,gags and funny lines such as "Are you a pothead,Focker?".In addition to that, it takes a hilarious look at the themes of family and familial relationships which the movie tackled effectively.Overall,Meet The Parents delivers like no other comedy.

Impossible not to laugh...

Author: Thanos Alfie from Greece
6 March 2014

"Meet the Parents" is a hilarious movie which has to do with a male nurse who is getting to know the parents of his girlfriend and there his nightmare begins because her father is a very suspicious man who wants the best for his daughter. Also in this movie watch the difficulties which he has to surpass and how is going to do that.

I really liked this movie because it was unpredictable, the plot and story line were equally good. I also liked it because of the interpretation of Ben Stiller who plays as Gaylord 'Greg' Focker (boyfriend of Pam) and I believe that he made one of his best interpretations. Another good interpretations made by Robert De Niro's who plays as Jack Byrnes (suspicious father) and he was simply outstanding, Teri Polo's who plays as Pam Byrnes (daughter of Jack) and of course Owen Wilson who plays as Kevin Rawley an old boyfriend of Pam.

Lastly I have to tell you that "Meet the Parents" is one of the best comedy and romance movies which is really hilarious and I believe that everyone have to watch it because it's really worth seeing.

If you hate cats Robert De Niro will kick your butt

Author: rooprect from New York City
5 January 2014

I know I'm late to the party, but probably so are you if you're reading reviews at this late date. "Meet the Parents" is a funny flick that hearkens back to the glorious late-80s, or maybe even earlier, when comedies weren't so preoccupied with shocking the audience with gross out gags or surprise twists. Most of this movie is wonderfully predictable, and aside from a few deliberately clumsy drug references and maybe a sexual innuendo or two, it was good clean fun from start to finish.

Most of all, I'd say it's a good date flick to prepare yourself for the inevitable agony of meeting your own boyfriend/girlfriend's parents. We all know it sucks. (If you don't think so, oh, just you wait. Sometimes it takes years for them to expose themselves as the hideous flesh eating monsters that they are.) De Niro manages to take us to the utter extreme of monster but without shattering our suspension of disbelief. This is a key point. If the situation were to become too absurd , we would lose focus on the story and instead hone in on the individual gags. While there are plenty of funny gags to go round, they are really just dressing on an already funny premise: the story of an underdog who just cannot fit in to a judgmental bourgeois family no matter how hard (and usually because of how hard) he tries.

Ben Stiller shows his acting diversity (while on a different movie set playing the terminally airheaded Zoolander) as a dorky protagonist whose best intentions are always poorly timed or received completely the wrong way.

The antagonists, in this case, everybody else in the movie, tread the fine line of comedy and irritation. That is, at any time you could find yourself laughing or hating them. What's masterfully done is the filmmaker's (and of course actors') ability to turn you on a dime, take you to the edge of wanting to kill someone but then having a hearty laugh at their antics. Like I said earlier, Robert De Niro is the anchor that makes this possible, and any casting short of him (well, or maybe Christopher Walken) would have resulted in the film falling apart due to the demands it puts on our willingness to accept a complete jerk like the character he plays. Really his only redeeming quality is that he likes cats. But that's the point, I guess. No matter how rude a person may seem, there's always something redeeming in there.

Well, maybe except for the hilariously loathsome airline attendant who appears in a short but pivotal role at the film's climax. To me, that scene was worth the price of admission.

Don't think twice, this is a movie worth seeing. Other similar films focusing on severely dysfunctional families trying to act normally include De Niro & Billy Crystal in "Analyze This", a great Andy Garcia movie called "City Island" and--this may be a stretch but--I think fans of "Meet the Parents" would really enjoy the original British "Death at a Funeral" (2007). Ya just gotta love comedies about trying to be normal in an utterly abnormal situation.

Great

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
21 October 2013

Well, "Meet The Parents" is a known movie and now I can say why. It is a very American kind of comedy that makes you laugh and identify yourself with the protagonist, no matter if you are a man or a woman. Greg tries everything to fit in the family, but things don't go the way he wishes, given that his father-in-law is an inconvenient person. There are lots of funny scenes built with intelligence, such as the airport one, which shows how bureaucratic these companies usually are. Writers portrayed Robert De Niros' character as an eventual nice guys, which makes us don't hate him, otherwise we wouldn't enjoy the movie as a whole as we all do. All the cast is extremely professional, with big congratulations for Ben Stiller for being so spontaneous. In the end, despite all the good and funny scenes, we still have some beautiful messages about family and love. Great movie!!!

Funny but Gaylord lacks strength

Author: SnoopyStyle
13 October 2013

Greg Focker (Ben Stiller) is a happy male nurse who has a great girlfriend Pam Byrnes (Teri Polo). He wants to propose to her, but have to get her father Jack's (Robert De Niro) permission. Only Jack isn't the trusting kind.

This starts off pretty much as expected with awkward uncomfortable interactions. The movie goes from awkward laughs to uncomfortable silences. The lie detector scene is especially funny. What makes it problematic for me is that Focker is a bit of a weasel. He's constantly trying to lie his way out of things. It's not a likable trait.

I'm not talking about the cat lie. That's a defensible move. But he's too weasely even when it makes no sense. When Kevin (Owen Wilson) is getting his goat, Greg tries to puff himself up even though Jack is right there who could easily out him. It's in his nature and that's a problem.

The movie has a lot of fun, and the ending is heart warming. But I have to downgrade it a little for Greg's personality. Ben Stiller plays him a little too pathetic when it would be better to have a little confidence. It's better to have him as a reasonable nice man who's dealing with a crazy Jack. He needs to be more a straight man.