IMDb > "Life Is Worth Living" (1952) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Life Is Worth Living" More at IMDbPro »

Timeless

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
17 June 2004

Sadly, many American Catholics have no idea who Fulton Sheen was and have never heard of the television program: Life Is Worth Living. Over 50 years from its original broadcast, it is still considered some of the best "religious" programming. Whether you want to call the 30 minute weekly talk show "preaching" or ever religious, Fulton Sheen's message, the message of hope, tolerance, faith, and most importantly, the glory which is life...his message is forever timeless. Fulton never had guests come on stage to be instantly healed before your very eyes. Instead, his words touched the lives of the millions who watched then, and the millions who continue to listen and take in his words today. THE EWTN Cable Network airs Fulton's series ever so often. It is mu opinion, that Life is Worth Living is one of the best if not the best program the network has to offer their youth audience.

A masterpiece from secular television.

Author: jppu from usa
10 October 2007

Okay, get this. I'm pitching a prime time major network television show. It's about this Catholic bishop giving a 30 minute monologue each week. It's not so much Catholic based, not even Christian, as said bishop is well versed in literature, philosophy, and politics. Whadya say, Mr. TV Exec?

Never in a million years would a show like this get put on TV today! But in TV's infancy... what a breath of fresh air!

My oh my... how far downward our society has fallen. This show proves beyond all others from this or any other era that our country's intellect has been washed away. Can you imagine someone trying to pitch a show to go on ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox today? Or even secular cable? 55 years ago it wasn't so far fetched at all. In fact, the Bishop's ratings were pretty high. And this was pretty esoteric stuff he was talking about. It's pretty sad that I cannot imagine the MTV generation sitting still for this, not that he's slow moving, he's not, but he's got so much to tell us and black and white kine-scopes are going to keep the current generation from embracing his wit, wisdom, love, and... how to give a public speech. (I used to teach public speaking to high school students.) There is no one better, no one.

I'm in my 40s. I guess you would call me an evangelical, charismatic Christian, certainly not of the Catholic brand. However, I go out of my way to watch Bishop Sheen on EWTN every Friday night now. My brain gets stimulated. He's so spot on and so inspired by the Holy Spirit, it's exhausting. The Bishop had a gift; it came from Him.

It is amazing to see how prophetic he was. He was dead on about where this country was heading.

Thank you EWTN for broadcasting the best show on your network!! And thank you Bishop Sheen Archives in Rochester, NY for restoring these programs. I just wished you would have left the original titles and credits alone. I don't get the new narration and the Bishop's bio at the end of every program. That's nit picky, I know. Still, I feel so blessed by Bishop Sheen and his ministry more than any other Christian broadcaster.

I look forward to meeting him in Heaven one day. Bye now! God love you!!

A Very Young Memory

Author: csclok53 from United States
26 April 2006

I was born in Februrary 1953 and believe it or not, I do remember watching Bishop Sheen. Just about every Sunday morning, when I was a little older, I would watch him with my mom. I do remember Bishop Sheen and what he looked like. When I saw actor Martin Sheen on the "The Actor's Screening Room(?)" (can't remember the exact name of the show) on Sunday nights on "BRAVO!", he confirmed to me that is where he got his name. I often wondered for a long time if that was the case. I almost jumped off the couch after he said, years ago, he used to watch Biship Sheen on Sunday mornings back home in Ohio. For a long time, I had wondered if I was the only one who remembered Bishop Sheen, but I'm very happy to know I'm not.