IMDb > "Up and Coming" (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Up and Coming" More at IMDbPro »

Little Known, But Good

Author: hillari from Chicago, USA
5 December 2002

This was a family drama that ran on PBS stations in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The focus was on a middle class African-American family. The dad owned a small construction business, and his wife held a management position at a bank. They had two teenage kids, a girl and a boy. Also in the cast was a teenage girl who was a cousin to the kids. I remember that most of the episodes focused on challenges that the teens faced, such as interracial dating, drugs, peer pressure, etc. Other issues dealt with on the show included poverty, broken family relationships, and racism. The show didn't run for a long time, but it stood out as an good early attempt at an African-American dramatic TV series.

Wonderful show!

Author: greennleafy from Chicago
13 September 2004

I loved this show! I was in my thirties when it aired and made a point of taping it to view in the evening. The day wasn't complete without it. It was well-written with a sensitive and realistic take on the life of a black family. I suspect that's why it didn't last very long ;o). The parents were working-class, decent people who loved and worried about their children and taught those values that seem so lacking in today's society. A lot of people don't know this, but the show was one of Laurence (Larry at the time) Fishburne's early acting jobs. He played the boyfriend of the best friend of Cindy Herron's character. He made quite an impression on me then and I've enjoyed watching his progress. It would be nice to see this show in syndication. The subject matter is timeless.

Up and Coming

Author: synira from United States
2 February 2007

This was such a great series for Black folks at the time. We loved it so much. It was the only show about Black middle class families on t.v. at the time. Please release this on DVD. I know many...many people who still talk about the show. If it its released i am certain that many black youth will find this enlightening as well as interesting. The show addressed many topics from racism, intra-race discrimination, teen pregnancy, sibling rivalry, single parenting, peer-pressure and much more. The show ended in such an abrupt way and left it's fans speechless and wondering why it was taken off the air. Since then we have only seen a few of the actors and actresses. Please release it on DVD ASAP.

Up and Coming

Author: hawk12233 from Fayetteville, GA
30 May 2006

This was an excellent show. It came on PBS back home in Chicago and I remember Cindy Herron (From EnVogue) played the teen aged daughter. The show dealt with subjects such as sex, peer pressure and puberty. IT was about a middle class black family who had a teen aged daughter and son who moved to a middle class neighborhood from Oakland or somewhere (I can't remember). I remember several episodes but the one I remember most was when their cousin got her period for the first time. I was probably 7-8 when I first watched it and I was able to keep up with the program. This was a great show. I can't remember the name of the guy who played the son on the show, but I always got him confused with Kevin Hooks.

Before The Cosby Show, there was Up and Coming

Author: trivirtues from United States
12 November 2005

Before The Cosby Show, there was Up and Coming. I was only 12 years old when this series first aired. I vaguely remember the details about the show but I do remember always looking forward to catching it on PBS. It was the only show like it at the time and I remember being glued to my 12" black and white TV. It was nice seeing a middle class Black American family on TV. For some reason, after all these years, this show came to mind tonight and I was wondering if IMDb had any information about it. I would love to see these episodes again. From the earlier comment, I don't recall Lawrence Fishburne being on the show but wonder what his thoughts are today about the show and how it may or may not have had an impact on his career.

A sad commentary

Author: hodgespodges2003 from United States
4 September 2005

I also loved the show "Up and Coming" and do remember it quite well as being a realistic portrayal of African-American family life. It's a sad commentary that reality among black programming was not acceptable until the mid '80s when "The Cosby Show" was at its prime. But "Up and Coming" may very well have been the catalyst to open doors for popular prime time black sitcoms. I am not sure which was my favorite episode, but there is one I remember as having the best acting I had seen in a long time. It was when one young lady wanted to be adopted by the "Up and Coming" household, but her character was out of kilter with the family. She begged her way back in, amidst tears and repentance, and the family finally gave in to her request.

An Old Favorite

Author: Jerrold McKinley Ivery from Los Angeles
30 April 2004

Can I start off by saying, "I USED TO LOVE THIS TV SHOW"!!!!!! I can't scream that loud enough. I was only about 10 years of old when this show aired on TV, but I was hooked on it like it was a drug. I used to run home from school so that I could do my homework before "Up And Coming" came on. This show made a very big impression on me and my family. I remember we used to sit and watch this show together sometimes, like it was church...LOL. What I remember most about this show is that the characters had integrity. Regardless of any pitfalls and challenges the faced at school, or even at home for that matter, they still managed to display integrity and showed others love. They remained positive despite the obstacles they had to overcome. Also, the theme song spoke volumes. As a kid, I really didn't know just how inspiring and power that song was, but it continues leaves a lasting mark in my mind. I still remember the chorus of the song: "The most you can every do is the best you can". It's to bad we don't get to watch great television shows like this one any more. Anyway, "Up And Coming" was a great TV show. Godspeed to the makers of this show. Cheers!

Very Good and Educational!!!

Author: mistrivia1 from Oakland
9 June 2003

As another review pointed out this was a PBS show that was very good. It has been over 20 years since I have seen it. When I was in high school, I remember going to a department store in Berkeley, Ca, where I saw a classmate working there and she introduced to me to Yule Caise, who played the youngest son on this show. I remember it also having a nice theme song. I liked it because it was realistic and did not demean the black family as some are stereotypically depicted. It depicted the sons and the daughter as having the ability to be able to make the right choices and if they didn't, the ability to talk to their parents about what they did wrong and go on from there. At least two of the actors were well known, Robert DoQui who played the father and Gammy Taylor who played the mother. Another one would become well known as an actress and more so as a singer, her name, Cindy Herron of En Vogue who played the daughter. PBS made a wise choice in airing this show and "Righteous Apples" another good program but that's another story!!!!

Who was the teammate???

Author: vjones17 from United States
7 March 2011

I was 13 when this show was on and it was one of my favorites. Something that has been bugging me of late concerning this show is that I cannot find info concerning the center of the basketball team that the son played on. I seem to recall him even being in the opening credits. I think the actor was Rick Fits and his character was called Skyscraper or something like that. I can even recall an episode that focused on him. I can't find a thing about him anywhere on the internet pertaining to this show. I know I didn't dream this and considering that the show is 31 years old and my memory ain't what it used to be, certain things leave an impression...this is one of them. Can anyone else recall this character?

Good show

Author: (joemoe116) from United States
1 September 2009

I remember coming home from school to watch up and coming this was the story of a black family that moves out of the gheto into a up class community the family was name Wilson Frank Wilson man with his own construction business his wife Joyce was a bank manager they had 3 teenage kids Kevin Valerie and Marcus. This was a very good show. it was educational with out being preachie. the show was well written. This show gave us a look at a successful African American before the Cosby Show. A lot a black actor appeared on this show from Ester Role to David Hubberd to 227 Stonnie Jackson to name a few. If you are able to find this show on DVD you should get it for your whole family