IMDb > Knockaround Guys (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Knockaround Guys

Knockaround Guys More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

People should give it a chance.

Author: mario10zeus from United States
22 July 2008

The main lesson out of "Knockaround Guys" is this: if you want to be a criminal or a mobster, you better be a mean and evil son of a mother. Be like Joe Pesci's characters, but a little bit wiser. This film features the sons of New York mobsters who which to emulate their criminal fathers and get a piece of action. Problem is that these young men have been raised in a more privileged upper class manner and lack the brutal attitude found in the older. Matty Demaret (Barry Pepper) wants to be taken seriously by his father Benny Chains (Dennis Hopper) and associate (John Malkovich). Matty send his friend Marbles (Seth Green) to pick up $500.000 in Seattle and fly back in his private plane. Trouble starts once Marbles stop to refuel in a small town in Montana and loses a bag with the money. The ensemble cast is good and solid. While it isn't your average gangster flick, "Knockaround Guys" is good, if albeit under rated. Don't miss the scene where Vin Diesel gives a beat-down to a local tough guy in a bar.

Pretty Solid Flick

Author: whosyourdrummer1 from United States
28 April 2008

I really did like this movie it was a good way to end the day, to sit back and watch a movie. Vin Deisel is a very good action actor and so were all the costars in this movie. This movie had a couple changes in plot that I really liked a lot. This movie also made me laugh a good bit which is hard to get me to do at movies so kudos to the script writer. This movie had a lot of action which is something I love to see, as long as the special effects are good. This movie did not use any special effects so I didn't have to worry about that ruining it for me. I would not say this is the best movie i have ever seen but I did like this movie a lot and it is one of those movies I could watch over again 7/10

Loved It .....

Author: aces_boss_yo from United States
9 April 2008

I loved this film. It has a little bit of everything.It seemed to portray the characters as believable and real. Most of the Gangster style flicks always have a thick romantic plot line,where this film portrayed the guys as just regular Joes.Sure, there were women in the film, but there was no "guy get's the girl" type ending. My favorite scene was the bar/fight scene and the music playing in the background, was, ROMEO'S TUNE by :Steve Forbert.This was pure genius.I watch a lot of movies,and this one has stayed with me. It is definitely worth watching, at the least.I purchased it, myself. The soundtrack is mostly cheesy, but there is some good old stuff on it.I think that is where they cut some of their budget, for the guy referring to it as a low-budg pic. I don't happen to care what the budget of a movie is. IMO, the studios w/the big budgets spiy out more crap than all Indies out there.

Average

Author: buiger from Monaco
4 May 2007

I found this to be a rather average movie with a lot of good actors, most of which, due to the limitations of the screenplay where unable to fully develop their potential. Basically, the story is too simple, there are no details, no in-depth characterization, nothing that can get the viewer really involved.

A positive surprise was Vin Diesel, with some decent acting, based not only on the size of his biceps. John Malkovich and Dennis Hopper are unfortunately almost completely wasted in this movie. Utilizing them more extensively and exploring their characters would have given the movie much more "weight" and would probably have improved it considerably. All in all, a decent, standard Hollywood product, but nothing more.

Great film about the mafia

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
17 February 2007

It's easy to understand the attraction the mafia does on modern filmmakers' imagination.The representation of that kind of life represents how society hates that.Since the movies were young that kind of life has been portrayed at both sights,like villains or the anti-heroes.But a lot of movies about that make a glamorization of that sad sight of the human existence.So,it's very weird to see the cruelty and consequences of that activity with honesty and on a realistic mode.Knockround guys has a glamorization about that kind of life but it shows honesty,realism and a face very little seen about that kind of life.When Hollywood's big studios try to tell a story like the one which has Knockround guys,it's common to see how the story finishes on a second sight to take importance the famous actors or director that are the opposite the story requires.We have seen that on films like Casino,which are multimillionaire inversions,but they feel very shallow because of Hollywood's intervention.The best movies of that genre are the independent ones.So,Knockround guys is next to other great films of that genre like The yards,The usual suspects or Reservoir dogs,which their low budgets are better used to tell that kind of stories than the multimillionaire inversions the big studios do.Knockround guys is a great movie,totally fun.Barry Pepper is great on his role and he gives humanity to his character.Seth Green is an awesome actor and he does a superb performance here.Vin Diesel makes a great and very controlled performance and I think this is his best performance.Dennis Hopper and John Malkovich are unforgettable.Hopper has an excellent performance and he brings the movie's best dialogs.Malkovich makes his character very realistic.Knockround guys is a great and very fun film.I had a great time watching it.

Andrew stood out

Author: firebirdrider1 from United States
27 January 2007

While all of the actors are on their game in this movie, despite the horrible Brooklyn accent of Malkovich, Andrew Davoli stood out as the suave young son of a mobster. I was not aware of him until I saw this movie. He reminds you of a young Daniel Day Lewis. I think it will only take one break out role for this young man to become a household name. I will have to look for other movies that he has done to see if his charisma holds true.

Vin plays a good Vin as always. He is such a likable bad guy in all of his movies and Mr. Pepper holds his own against such heavy weights as Malkovich and Hopper. All total an entertaining movie.

Pretty good movie

Author: thalb from United States
8 January 2007

From the perspective of a 23 year old, this movie is pretty good. Very exciting. I have seen GoodFellas and I think this one is better even though it's quite the copy.

This movie is about these untouchable mafia guys that are trying to get something back which every time they get close to it it gets worse and you think they will never get it.

I need a minimum of 10 lines for my comment, thats odd. Line 10 here it is. Hm, blank lines don't count. Line 10 again. Wow, this is really frustrating, wen't through all the trouble of creating an account and now this crap.

Not all that bad

Author: Stephan Klose from Vienna, Austria
11 August 2006

The story is pretty simple. The son of a wiseguy trusted his friend to bring like 500.000 $ back from somewhere. But his friend, who was flying the plane got a little high on coke and got a little paranoid, so he placed the bag with the money somewhere while he had his plane refueled. Sadly the bag got on another plane by mistake and well.. He and his friends go to the Town the plane went to. I mean it has interesting characters played by great actors like Dennis Hopper, John Malkovich, Vin Diesel and finally Seth Green. The movie consists of a lot of profanity, a bit of drug use, a little bit of violence. (something for everyone).. Well and it's just light entertainment. You can't expect too much of this movie. The main problem is that the movie itself isn't sure what it wants to be. I mean, is it a comedy or a thriller or what? My final thought: Even though it's produced by Lawrence Bender (Tarantinos Producer), it is NOT a movie that inherits the qualities of most of his other producing ventures. But it is still watchable and a nice avocation so lets say 6/10

Actually, I really enjoyed it, despite some minor flaws

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
7 January 2006

I rented some movies this weekend and "Knockaround Guys" was a risk rent I call it, I never heard of it and wasn't that interested. But I mean, what a promising cast: Seth Green, John Malkovich, Dennis Hopper, and Vin Deisel. Being here on IMDb, I noticed that there were a few put downs on the film, mostly feeling that there was a miscast. Especially with John, in some ways I agree, he just couldn't do a good Italian accent or wasn't too threatening. But what can I say? I love the guy too much! Being a more update mob movie taking place into today's society, I thought it was very interesting.

Matty is the son of a very famous mobster, causing him to loose job opportunity after job opportunity because of his name. When he finally decides to join the family business with his friends, they have a little stumble transferring money that is owed to an under boss that can cause Matty's father's life. Together he and his friends must get that money back in the best way possible: The Godfather's way of doing things!

This was a great action flick and no, it's not really a decent mob movie. But I did enjoy it, maybe I was just in a good mood, but I feel that this is a pretty under rated film that should be given another chance. We'll just have to forgive John, you know he does his best!

Well . . .

Author: lilcutie18613 from United States
27 July 2005

The plot isn't too complicated to understand. These "Knockaround Guys" are trying to find a bag of money. Big deal. The little details don't really matter. I wouldn't say it's horrible, but it sure isn't great either. I suppose you have to be in a type of mood to enjoy it.

This movie definitely benefits from the outstanding cast and the great performances each actor gives for what they had to work with. It was enjoyable on that level, but I wouldn't recommend this to many people, because it isn't really worth watching unless you just want to watch it with your mind shut off. All the action is fun to watch, especially when Vin Diesel kicks the crap out of a guy in a bar. I give it a 5/10.