IMDb > 102 Dalmatians (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
102 Dalmatians

102 Dalmatians More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Cruella DeVil is at it again...

Author: MISSMOOHERSELF from Elberon, NJ
9 January 2003

I saw the original "101 Dalmatians" 3 times while en route from England back home to the USA and I loved it. So when I saw there was a new dalmatians movie, "102 Dalmatians," I was elated and when I saw it, I was NOT disappointed. In fact, I liked this version even better than the first. Glenn Close's performance as "Ella" who has been imprisoned for 3 years for dognapping but who received behavioral modification but reverts to "Cruella" when Big Ben's chimes go off, is delightfully dastardly. And the performance by Gerard Depardieu as the loathsome LaPelt is extraordinary. But the best performances, the ones who "take the cake" are those by the Dalmatians, real or created, especially Oddball, the spotless dalmatian puppy who is obsessed with "S-P-O-T-S." The scene where she goes berserk when she sees a black and white sweater on a puppet in a Punch & Judy show is hilarious. There were scenes in which it looked like the puppies were in real danger but the magic lies in the fact that, when you read the credits, you realize those scenes were created; no puppy was ever in danger. I recommend this movie highly and I should; I've seen it at least 7 times and I also have the video.

Sure, it's inferior to the first, but lets not get too harsh.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
8 May 2007

My take: Not as good as the first, but decent family fun nonetheless.

Yes we know, it's kid's stuff compared to the original, which is an enjoyable film, no less. This one follows where the original left off. Cruella "Ella" DeVille is kept in prison, and a group of scientist have altered her mind, turning her from evil to a good. Sadly, when the Big Ben rings its chimes, compassionate little Ella turns back to evil Cruella, with plots to capture more puppies for her "Poppy Coat" and for vengeance.

Of course, this one adds one more puppy to the 101 others. Sadly only one of the puppies from the first makes it here (of course, he's full-grown now), it's none other than Dipstick. Besides the dog, Cruella and her stuttering butler Alonzo (Tim McInnerny), no other character from the first film returns for this sequel. The plot, if you removed some elements, is basically similar to the first film. Making this a formulaic sequel, but let's not get to harsh in reviewing this. You got to admit it still has some entertainment value, despite the flaws. The puppies are cute, as always, and some of the laughs are well enjoyable for the kiddies.

So overall, not a brilliant flick, but a fun one for the family.

Rating: *** out of 5.

Well, the puppies were cute...

Author: jennifer-99 from Toronto, Ontario
27 November 2000

I decided that this was going to be the first movie that I took my young daughter to see. Seeing as how she is a dog lover and is riveted to the TV screen every time she sees a commercial or TV show with a puppy, I figured how could I go wrong?

I was sadly disappointed. I found that the movie tried too hard to be dark and sinister....Cruella got way too much screen time and the puppies, too little. The movie just wasn't much fun. Amazingly, my daughter got an hour or so of entertainment from this film, and then got horribly bored. We ended up leaving before the movie was finished, so I'm not even sure how it ended.

The movie was cute, but it ran way too long for the younger set who have a reduced attention span. More time should have been devoted to the puppies and their antics, and less to Cruella and her scheming. I don't believe I was the only one who felt this way....as my daughter and I were leaving the theatre, I noticed two youngsters fast asleep. Not a good testimonial for a children's film.

Save this one for a video rental so your kids can fast forward through the boring bits before they, too, fall fast asleep.

An over-the-top performance by Glenn Close makes this even better than her last turn as Cruella.

Author: Doug Phillips (janabro@aol.com) from Seattle, Washington
12 December 2000

Enormous fun for both adults and children, this film works on numerous levels: there is everything from car crashes and cake in the face to some very good (yet subtle) jokes for adults.

Glenn Close is at her sublimely evil best as Cruella (`call me Ella') De Ville.

After three years in Dr. Pavlov's Behaviour Modification Clinic she is cured of her desire for fur – even the puppy-skin fur she had so intensely desired. She even has all of her fur coats placed in the dungeon of the extraordinary castle she inhabits.

But it wouldn't be a ‘Dalmatian' movie without the subterfuge and machinations of Cruella and you know that something will change her behaviour modification. And now she needs one extra puppy (hence 102 Dalmatians) to complete her nefarious scheme this time round.

Ioan Gruffudd is instantly appealing as the hero of the film that runs the `Second Chance' dog shelter. Though he was in `Titanic' and in last year's television version (as Pip) of `Great Expectations' I didn't recognize him; well, he was ‘Fifth Officer Lowe' in `Titanic' and I didn't see `Great Expectations' so I am not terribly surprised.

Gerard Depardieu does a delightful turn as the furrier-pawn of Cruella. He prances and postures in the most outlandish and outrageous of fur clothing you have ever seen – and does it well. His 'Wicked Witch of the West' homage is hilarious.

Tim McInnerny is superb is Cruella's not-so-evil henchman – he was also ‘Alonzo,' Cruella's butler, in `101 Dalmatians' and you may also recognize him from all of the `Black Adder' Brit-Coms. He plays his usual bumbling, good-hearted, somewhat dim-witted character to great effect.

Oscars for costuming are generally given for the entirety of the costuming in a film. This is unfortunate as the clothing worn by Glenn Close is amazing – it is incredibly detailed (note her handcuffs when she is being released from the Behaviour Modification Clinic) and worthy of such an over-the-top character. Her clothing alone deserves at least an Oscar nomination.

Animation holds a special place in my heart – but comparing this film to the original animated film is like comparing apples to orangutans: it can't be done. Suffice it to say that `102 Dalmatians' is even better than the film version of `101 Dalmatians' that came out in 1996. There is a lot to like here: from the sight gags, the dialogue, and the costumes to the casting - it is a good film for the whole family.

102 thumbs up

Author: Jack "Rainman" Oates
11 March 2004

I knew "102 Dalmatians" would become one of my favorite films as soon as it started because it was filled with dogs and was clear plot was very important to those involved. My love for dogs attracted me and my instincts were not as I wasn't disappointed in the result of this movie.

"102 Dalmatians" was simply one of the smartest and funniest films I have seen. One thing that I found interesting was the director's drive and motivation to complete the project without quiting.

Glenn Close has done another incredible job portraying Cruella De Ville. Her performance was so incredible that she made me angry everytime she did something evil to one of the dalmatians; when this happens, you know you have a good actress on your hands.

Kudos to newcomers Ioan Grufford and Alice Evans as they pull off performances, which make them look like veterans. There performances were so great I could mistake them for naturals. These two have a lot to offer and are here to stay.

I'm so glad I saw this film because it allowed me to forget the outside world and let me relax with my popcorn and soda pop. "102 Dalmatians" is such a delightfully light-hearted comedy that will warm your hearts and spur you into action at the same time.

More of those cute little puppies...

Author: Chris Brown (chrisbrown6453@hotmail.com) from Fresno, Ca. USA
20 July 2001

Unlike its predecessor, which was a live action version of the animated 101 Dalmatians, this version is completely new and original. However, the premise is as old as they get: boy finds girl, boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl again, and they all live happily ever after. Of course, I'm not giving anything away here because the movie is not about the humans; it's about the dogs and one bird. And you can't leave out the bird. The bird is the real star of the movie. His name is Waddlesworth, and he is a MacCaw that does more than just talk -- he converses. The voice is that of Eric Idle (of Monty Python fame). Waddlesworth thinks he's a dog and cannot fly and is the comic relief for the movie, adding asides for our enjoyment.

This film is better than 101 Dalmatians, which in its own right was very good, and both children and adults will enjoy it. It is pure entertainment. My teenager and six-year-old both liked it and said Waddlesworth was their favorite character. This is typical Disney entertainment: Wholesome with just enough adult humor for mom and dad, excitement for the teenagers, and tenderness for the younger ones. Besides, who doesn't like a little puppy? This movie has 102 of them!

Oh I will be harsh!

Author: Arlis Fuson from United States
12 April 2010

Cruella has been in jail and in her time there a doctor has worked with her and made her change and become a brand new person. She now loves puppies and hates fur and comes out a brand new woman. She tires her best but for stupid reason, which never gets explained in the movie, the ticking of Big Ben (the London tower clock) she goes mad and goes back to her evil self. After she had gotten out of jail, and before she turned back to her old self, she helped organize a puppy "safe house". After she goes back she once again wants more dalmatians and although different in action, same in story as far as her getting them stolen and all attempts are captured in goofy glory as we see a less funny version of part one over again.

Production was bad in this one, definitely a lower budget, and no where near the time and effort and talent devoted into this one. The music was bad, the acting was bad (for the most part) and its just a waste of time. Sequels often suck, so its not that big of a deal, you should know what you are getting.

Glenn Close did a great job again, but her character was written badly here, so her acting couldn't save it. Most of the acting was mediocre at best. Ben Crompton did a good job as Ewan and thats about the only person that stood out. Eric idle as the voice of that stupid bird was annoying too.

This movie is something you might shut your "youngins" up with for an hour and a half but it's a truly inferior film to its predecessor. Was hard for me to set through. 2 out of 10 stars.

One more pup, and we've got twice the fun!!!!!

Author: Seth Nelson from (Near) D/FW Airport, Texas, USA
7 September 2006

In 1996's "101 Dalmatians," Cruella De Vil was arrested by the London Metropolitain Police (God bless them) for attempting to steal and murder 101 puppies - dalmatians. All covered in mud and hay, she spent the next 4 years in the "tin can." Now, 4 years later, she, unfortunately, was released from the jail. I say, that's about 28 years - in dog years!!!!!

So, in 2000, Disney decided to release a sequel to the successful live-action version of the classic film and it is hereby dubbed "102 Dalmatians." In it, there is a 102nd dalmatian added to the family (Oddball is the name, I think; I should know this since this was just shown on TV recently), and the puppy had no spots!!!!! Also, while Cruella (again played by Glenn Close) has escaped again, she wanted a bigger, better coat - made once again out of the puppies!!!!!

I especially liked the theme song - I'm sure everybody loves the "Atomic Dog" song from the 70s or so. And now, we hear a bit of it in this movie!!!!!

"102 Dalmatians" is such a great film that I keep on wondering - WHEN WILL THERE BE A "103 DALMATIANS?????" LOL

10 stars

a pale imitation of it's predecessor

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
13 November 2008

unfortunately,this second live action film is a pale imitation of its predecessor.it's a lot slower,and the story feels contrived.it almost seems like filler to me.there are a few comic moments,though not as many as its predecessor.i think they should have left it at the first one,101 Dalmatians.Glenn Close returns as Cruella De Vil,and is good,but has much less to do this time around.plus,her two henchmen form th preventions film are not in this one,and they added some comic relief.Gerard Depardieu is in this one,in a completely ridiculous role,and he looks quite silly,to be polite.despite its problems its still watchable.my vote for 102 Dalmations is a 5/10

An entertaining doggy film - with stuff for everyone!

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
7 December 2007

Arguably this is a very good "sequel", better than the first live action film 101 Dalmatians. It has good dogs, good actors, good jokes and all right slapstick!

Cruella DeVil, who has had some rather major therapy, is now a lover of dogs and very kind to them. Many people, including Chloe Simon, owner of one of the dogs that Cruella once tried to kill, do not believe this is true. Others, like Kevin Shepherd (owner of 2nd Chance Dog Shelter) believe that Cruella DeVil HAS changed.

Meanwhile, Dipstick's mate, has given birth to three cute dalmatian puppies! Little Dipper, Domino and Oddball...

Starring Eric Idle as Waddlesworth (the hilarious macaw), Glenn Close as Cruella herself and Gerard Depardieu as Le Pelt (another baddie, the name should give a clue), this is a good family film with excitement and lots more!! One downfall of this film is that is has a lot of painful slapstick, but not quite as excessive as the last film. This is also funnier than the last film.

Enjoy "102 Dalmatians"! :-)

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]