IMDb > Remember the Titans (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 41:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Love this movie!

Author: Shari (AfricanVenus84@aol.com) from United States
15 March 2003

How great was this movie? I fell in love with it from being made to watch it in Health class in 11th grade. I love films about adversity within races, and this movie was a classic. Herman Boone has to bring blacks and whites together for a highschool football team to play with each other. Of course, it's the 70's and racism is still rampant. I love the message that people will mesh anyway despite outside complications. Julius' and Gerry's relationship was really profound and special. It crossed a lot of lines. Denzel was remarkable as Coach Boone. He took no crap, yet was scared to lose his position underneath. There was tension everywhere and it worked for the film. The players were really memorable to me. Blue, Rev, Sunshine, Petey, and Louie Lastik were adorable and hilarious. A great ensemble cast effort. The guy who played Yoast was good as well, because he had to learn to overcome prejudices he had that he never knew he did. Even better, was the fact that it's a true story which makes it all the more sweet. I watch this movie over and over and can practically say every line by heart. Great, great film. The Titans really were greater than the gods of Greek myth, and these guys were greater than any stereotype.

TOUCHDOWN!!!!!

Author: Patrick Brogan from Glendale, Arizona, U.S.A.
29 September 2000

By looking at REMEMBER THE TITANS you are probably saying "oh geeze, another football movie. How can this one be any better than the last one? The only good recent football film is RUDY." Well, after seeing this film, you'll be taken by surprise, just like I was.

In 1971, in Alexandria, Virginia, the town's high school football team, the T.C. Williams Titans, are very popular. T.C. Williams High School current football coach, Coach Yoast (Will Patton), is nominated for high school Hall of Fame. But a few weeks before the start of the school year, a white store owner shoots and kills a black man who was suspected in stealing a product. This causes a racial seperation between blacks and whites in Alexandria. Then just before the start of the football season, Coach Yoast gets demoted to Assistant Coach in place of Coach Boone (Denzel Washington). What's bad is that Boone is black, and Yoast is white. Most of the town's residents are angry, and even some of the players are willing to ruin their football career's to quit the team to make a statement. But at the start of football camp, Coach Boone won't take any racial diversity. Boone treats all of his players equally, he has his football camp practices appear to be a mixture between boot camp and group sessions. If the player misses catching a football, he has to run a mile. If the player doesn't know anything about the person of the opposite color that they are rooming with, they have homework to get to know one another. With this, it creates a special bond between these men. Men who act more mature and humane, unlike most of the residents of Alexandria. But when Coach Boone and Coach Yoast prove that the Titans are a winning team, the issue of race is erased and the true meaning of teamwork is born.

The way to make a great sports movie is to have it be adapted from a true life story. Like PRIDE OF THE YANKEES, HOOSIERS, and RUDY, all are films that show that what appears to be a sport, is the true triumph of the human spirit. I really did enjoy the characters in the film, since they are factual, they have very humanistic qualities. While one loves to hum "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," another gets excited while listening to "Act Naturally." And although you can guess what happens in the end, you don't care. You enjoy and like the character's so much that you are cheering for them.

I highly enjoyed the acting in this film. I think if Denzel Washington should get his long overdue Oscar for Best Actor, it should be for this film. He teaches his team that black or white, these men are a team, and that the only way to win is teamwork. Washington gives a bravura performance, that it will stun the people who think that Washington usually plays "racist" roles. I also enjoyed Will Patton a lot, he's not playing the cliche coach who gets demoted, and wants to ruin the new head coach. Instead, he understands the message that Boone is giving to the team that he helps as much as he can to help the team succeed. I thought Patton's role is the best assistant coach role that I have seen since Dennis Hopper's role in HOOSERS. And the football players are also great, the ones I thought stood out were: Preston Brant (Jerry Buck, the team's captain), Donald Adensun (Petey, the team's running-back), Kip Perdue (Sunshine, the team's quarterback), Craig Kirkwood (Rev, the team's defense player), and Ethan Suplee (Lastik, the team's leading defense, and by his size, he should be!) I was glad to see Suplee change his roles in his career. The last time I remember seeing him, he was the vicious skinhead along with Edward Norton and Patrick Furlong in AMERICAN HISTORY X. In REMEMBER THE TITANS, he's the exact opposite, he's the first white player who makes friends with the black players!!!

Director Boaz Yakin and producer Jerry Bruckheimer should be commended for this film.

I am pleased to see Jerry Bruckheimer made a really enjoyable and intellectual film, which is the complete opposite of the type of films that he's famous for. In fact I think this is the first one intellectual film Bruckheimer has made! The message that it sends out is really powerful, and if it doesn't convince you to change, then you are probably dead. And director Boaz Yakin does a fantastic job with this film, that along with Cameron Crowe, Wolfgang Petersen, and Ridley Scott, he should be nominated best director.

This is quite a film, in fact, I think this is the best football movie that I have ever seen! I really really enjoyed this film, and as I left it led me to believe in the message that this film was sending to it's audience. And this being only "PG" and put out by Walt Disney Pictures, I would love to see both junior high schools and high schools to show this film to it's students. If they did, then chances are, the violence in schools will go down. And it took Jerry Bruckheimer, Boaz Yakin, and Walt Disney Pictures to do it. Great job guys! Don't miss this enjoyable film! ***** (out of five)

A powerful inspirational film

Author: Ree59 from Fort Lauderdale, USA
30 January 2005

Remember the Titans is much more than a story about a high school football team. It is a true story about two men who overcome their differences and help an entire town deal with frustration, anger, and mistrust. Herman Boone (Denzel Washington) is the head coach of the football team at the black high school while Bill Yoast (Will Patton) is the head coach of the football team at the white high school. In 1971 the high schools are integrated and Coach Boone is chosen to become the head coach of the football team while Coach Yoast is demoted to assistant coach.

Remember the Titans is a powerful film with incredible performances by both Denzel Washington and Will Patton.

Remember this movie

Author: Jack "Rainman" Oates
10 March 2004

"Remember The Titans" is one of the two best films to have a chance to win an oscar for best picture.

Denzel Washington leads a cast that is young, fresh, talented and determined to make this movie a success. "Remember The Titans" is laced with strong performances from Will Patton, Ryan Hurst, Wood Harris, Donald Faison and Greg Alan Williams.

Based on a true story "Remember The Titans" follows the 1971 T.C. Williams High School Titans football team and their struggles with integration. Washington is Herman Boone, who has run up against racism after he has been brought in to coach the Titans. Patton is Bill Yoast, the man Boone replaced as head coach.

Washington and Patton are just two pieces of the puzzle, which makes "Remember The Titans" a real gem. However, the strength and real beauty of "Remember The Titans" does not come from Washington or Patton, but the Titan football players because they are the ones who give the strongest performances in the film.

I must say that the best performance of the whole movie other than Washington and Patton is the young actress who portrayed Bill Yoast's daughter, Hayden Panitierre. In "Remember The Titans" this young actress single handidly made it worth watching this film. Her talent shines through and her presence on screen is as fresh as the daily air; furthermore, every time she is on screen she sparkles. It is so pleasurable to see talent like this being discovered.

I hesitated to see "Remember The Titans" because I didn't want to see another football film, but it is more than just another football film.

"Remember The Titans" is a special film that has special performances and is well worth every dollar you spend to rent this film.

Exceptional movie

Author: jackjack-2 from United States
13 March 2006

Being a former white athlete and coach I am sick of sports movies where the story involves a team eventually winning a championship so I passed this one by when it first came out. Big mistake!! Like "Hoosiers" this one was an exception and what an exception. Remember the Titans is in my top five movies of the past ten years. Denzel Washington, as the coach, gave another of his consistently outstanding performances.

Like "Hoosiers" this is a true story and it is not just a story about sports but a strong story about race. I probably appreciated it more than most because of my background I connected to the movie. During the 1940s I attended schools which were well integrated and students of different races and cultures existed harmoniously. To a large degree, it was because the high school had a very successful football program in which unlike almost all of the other schools, minority athletes were welcome. In my junior year we went undefeated and won the State Championship and the team is still considered the best high school team of all time. The only time the team came close to defeat was in the State final when we played another well integrated team.

Consequently the community while generally middle and upper class except for its minorities was well integrated. As a result although I knew racism existed, I never encountered it in my community. But then I began to see its ugly head. First, the All-American end on our team, a superb athlete, was denied scholarships both to USC and Stanford because neither school accepted minorities. I had always wanted to go to USC but because of what USC did to my friend I turned down its offer of a scholarship the next year as I did to Stanford which I considered a snob school then as I do today.

But my college was cut short when the Korean War began and I was in the service. I was sent to bases in the South and I spent much of the next thirteen years in the South witnessing how bad it was for the blacks and I was involved in the civil rights movement in the South which got me into a lot of trouble with my military superiors.

During my tours in the South I became head coach of a football team at a Southern base. Filled with ex-collegiate stars and some pros, we regularly played Division I colleges and universities. However, because I had black players on my team I couldn't schedule games with any white southern colleges. Instead we scheduled one black college and several state universities in the mid-west.

Some critics have compared the summer camp at which Washington as Coach Boone brought the blacks and whites together as a team as like a Marine Boot Camp but everyone missed the subtlety of this. I went through Boot Camp at a time when the military was just integrating and we had southern blacks and whites as well as a mix of races from other parts of the country in my platoon as well as all classes. It didn't take very long for us to become as one unit. The first part of boot camp is sure hell and the reason for it is that it reduces everyone to the lowest common denominator of misery and you quickly learn that the only way to escape that misery is to work together. This is just the way Coach Boone made it work.

What I liked about this movie is that it showed how all this played out. Most moviegoers today are not really aware of how bad racism was in 1971 but this movie illustrates it well. Even though the movie has a few corny moments and the actors playing the roles as football players look old for high school, these faults are minimal and do not detract from the power of the film.

Inspiration

Author: MattyMugan from United Kingdom
19 July 2006

If their is ever a film to watch to get motivated, it's this. You don't have to be an American football lover, just any sport, or activity. The passion displayed on the screen could get Sven Goran Eriksson in the mood. Their are particular inaccuracies in order to make this into more of a film, but I wouldn't call it predictable. This is based on a true story, and the 13 and 0 record really happened, so this true story was what created the predictable film stereotype. I love the choice of actors in the film. Each person seems to be able to tap in to the feelings of their character, which creates a much more realistic film. It depicts the nature of racism within peoples lives very well and shows how common loves for different things can pull people together so that simple and wrong beliefs are forgotten. Needless to say this film makes me feel better about the world, while making me want to be a winner as well.

Feel good movie from Disney

Author: jhaggardjr from Chicago, Illinois
1 October 2000

"Remember the Titans" is a movie that by the end of seeing it makes you feel good. And why shouldn't it? You would figure that it'll be a nice little picture since it comes from the Walt Disney Company, and I think it's perfect for the whole family. "Remember the Titans" is a comedy-drama based on the true story of a high school in Virginia that is integrated with white and black students, white and black teachers, and white and black athletic coaches. Oscar winner Denzel Washington gives another one of his fine performances as the new head coach of the high school football team, and Will Patton is equally good as the current head coach who is now demoted to assistant coach under Washington. Together they try to get their players of both races to get along and put on a winning team. In addition to Washington and Patton, there are some other terrific performances by the young actors who portray the football players. I see some future stars here. The movie has plenty of dramatic moments with some delightful comedy thrown in the middle of it. It obviously gets a little predictable towards the end which keeps "Remember the Titans" from being a perfect movie. But so what? This is a sports movie and usually sports movies almost always ends with "the big game". Who's going to win that big game? I won't say who wins the big game in "Remember the Titans", but in the end you'll be rooting for the Titans to win, win, win! And that's all that matters. Bottom line: "Remember the Titans" is an excellent film, very well made and very well acted by everyone involved.

***1/2 (out of four)

Light, but effective

Author: Boheme97 (james@enoughstupid.com) from United States
26 May 2005

This movie received a lot of criticism for being a little too "light" in it's depiction of racism in that time period. However, the fact that Disney decided to take on the topic at all astounds me. I think that this movie is incredibly effective and an excellent football movie. It really sucks you into these characters and make you feel for them. I am emotionally affected by this film no matter how many times I've seen it, and I think that this movie will stand up over time as one of the most endearing sports classics of all time.

Quote that i believe defines the movie: "I don't care if you like each other, but you will respect each other. And maybe, I don't know, maybe we can learn to play this game like men."

My personal favorite: "I don't want them to gain another YARD, you blitz all night! They cross the line of scrimmage I swear to God I'm going to take every one of you out. You make sure they remember FOREVER, the night they played the Titans."

Outstanding movie

Author: Louis B. (lkbrown) from Cincinnati, Oh
4 October 2002

This movie is more than just about football, race relations and integration. The lead characters excellently portray the human spirit, showing that everyone can overcome not just on the field but also in life. The ending is predictable, but it draws you in with the intense emotion to win both on and off the field.

A GREAT MOVIE

Author: george (geotchak@yahoo.com) from chicago
15 March 2003

Remember the Titans was touching, uplifting, inspiring, motivating, and triumphant. It will make you cry at parts, laugh at parts, "goose pimples" will appear on your arms at parts, it will also make you cheer out loud from your seat! A must see.

Page 1 of 41:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]