IMDb > The Crossing (2000) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Crossing

The Crossing (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A small film that is historically accurate

Author: OriginalMovieBuff21 from United States
1 May 2005

I saw The Crossing about 4 months ago in History class, since we were studying about the Revolutionary War and about George Washington crossing the Delaware river. I was surprised of how accurate it was. I mean almost everything in it was the truth. The performances were really good and Jeff Daniels played a great role as George Washington. Overall, a good little film or TV show that was very entertaining. If you also like violence in films, you will be sure to like this one because there are enough violence to look at but I guess if you don't really like violence, then I don't think this is a film to see. I recommend it to a lot of people.

Hedeen's Outlook: 8/10 *** B

One of the Best History Movies I Have Seen!

Author: Connie Johnston (texasleo86@hotmail.com) from Burlington, Wisconsin
17 December 2001

I usually don't like history movies, however, this film showed me a different side of history that I enjoyed to learn about. There are plenty of satirical remarks that keeps the movie a little less conservative. However, if you do not like blood or gore, there is a little bit of gruesome tone to certain parts of this film. There is also some inappropriate language so it is not recommended for small students. I enjoyed the movie and recommend it to anyone who likes or even dislikes History movies. My congratulations to the entire cast and crew who made this film what it is!

Great blood and guts war flick!

Author: kahnrad from South Bend, IN
2 February 2000

This movie is a great blood and guts war flick as well as a good historical drama. The director creates a realistic setting at the original location, Trenton, NJ. The movie explores difficulties Washington overcame to keep the Revolutionary Army together. There is some graphic violence, however, it is brief. A movie that you can enjoy if you watch it ten times over.

Good historic lesson but unfit for young student viewing

Author: Denny Keyes (statie68@hotmail.com) from Willow Grove, PA
10 January 2000

This was a long overdue film as there has been so little done on the Revolutionary War. I learned from it and hail the educational value involved in the events. However, I find it most unfortunate that it contains highly offensive language as well as close-up scenes of graphic bloody violence. I am reasonably certain that many young students were watching this on advice from teachers and parents, only to have it turned off by a great many responsible adults because of these objections I have mentioned. Otherwise, it was very well done.

A pretty good movie -- but what irony!

Author: Jacqueline Fry from Richmond Hill, Ontario
11 January 2000

I quite enjoyed 'The Crossing'. Jeff Daniels is a world away from his character in 'Dumb & Dumber', playing the future 1st President of the USA. He gives Washington a stolid, taciturn manner, which is offset in some moments by needed levity (to boost the morale of his men). I admired the way Washington would give up at nothing to secure some sort of victory for what was left of his army. He was desperate, yes, but didn't lose his dignity. I found the rest of the acting uniformly good -- the brief part by Sebastien LaRoche (did I get that name right?) was perfectly done.

My only beef -- and don't get me wrong is that this movie about a famous event in American history was filmed in TORONTO, ONTARIO! I had a feeling the cast was mainly Canadian when I saw a few familiar faces. I mean, the filmmakers saved some $ by filming up here, but the power of the story was nullified somewhat by finding out about the film location.

Overall, though, a good movie and recommended for history buffs.

Overhyped attempt to merge history with drama fails.

Author: Falco-8 from Illinois
11 January 2000

Thoroughly mediocre Cable TV adaptation of Howard Fast's Revolutionary War novel dramatizing the events leading up to The Battle of Trenton. Jeff Daniels stars as General Washington and his measured portrayal of the General as a grimly determined and quietly desperate man is virtually the sole highlight of the film. He quite accurately presents us with Washington' flashes of anger and subtle lack of military self esteem while preserving the dignity and strength of character that made Washington such a superb leader of men.

However virtually all the remaining characters are written and played as stereotypes. In particular, Nigel Bennett {a fine character actor I must say} is given the thankless task of playing Horatio Gates as a comically sniveling villain.

As far as historical accuracy goes the film displays just about the average level of Hollywood's contempt for historical accuracy.

All in all, quite disappointing for any fan of historical drama.

accurate, dull A&E original

Author: Christopher Taylor (Yodelling Llama) from Moscow, ID, US
11 January 2000

A&E's original historical movies tend to be extremely accurate (A&E, after all, owns the History Channel and has something of a reputation to uphold), but also tend to be a bit slow. The Crossing is no exception. Jeff Daniels & Co. are, in general, fine in their roles, but far too little plot and conflict occurs for this "war" film for it to be particularly entertaining.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]