IMDb > Center Stage (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 19 of 21: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Great Movie!

Author: wannabe_starlet from South Carolina, USA
28 June 2002

This is one of my favorite movies. I really enjoyed it. Maybe because the concept isn't played out. It was different than most of the teen oriented movies that came out around the same time. It didn't have the same people playing the same parts( like all the Freddie Prinze Jr. movies). I love the dance sequences at the end. A must see even if you aren't into dancing because neither was I.

I love this movie.

Author: giatime from Los Angeles
20 June 2002

I love watching the pretty ballerinas. They are all awesome Babes. The dancing is fantastic. And the lead female is the hottest thing in a tutu I have ever seen. Plus the awesome pre 9/11 scenes of the greatest city in the world New York are priceless. Any film that shows this much leg, NY and dancing is first rate.

I have been in Love with this Movie since i saw it for the first time...

Author: Love9303 from Toms River, New Jersey
4 June 2002

Center Stage is my favorite movie of all time. I honestly cannot count how many times I have seen it. I was a dancer from the time I was 3 up until I turned 13 and I was told I had really bad feet and would have to work extra hard to achieve my goal as a dancer. Because of that I can really relate to this movie. Another reason I can't get enough of this movie...CHARLIE!!! Could he get any hotter?! Without a doubt this is definately a chick flick. I recommend this movie to all teenage girls.

Dancing isn't easy....and life really doesn't hold tryouts

Author: Lady Jasmine
17 May 2002

Well, I don't think there's anything to say that hasn't been said. This is one of the best dance movies since Dirty Dancing. I desperately wanted to see it in theatres, but circumstances forced me to wait for the video. I swear I bought it within a month after having seen it. As a dancer I can say this movie covers so much of the truth of that profession. Dancing ain't easy, it, and any other performance profession, is one of the hardest careers there is. And chances are the easier the dancer makes it look the harder it is. This movie does an awesome job of portraying that...especially that scene where they're breaking in the dances shoes, and Jodi's bleeding feet after hours and hours of practice. That's the way life is as a dancer, you dance through the pain.

Anyway, even if you aren't a dancer, this is an AWESOME movie; chances are you will watch it and every character will remind you of one of your friends. Rent it, buy's a great addition to any collection.

cute and funny, for general audience not just ballet lovers

Author: sunnystate88 from florida
12 April 2002

I must admit for the first time I watched it, it wasn't bad . It has a nice story , typical teen-ballet dramody (drama/comedy) . Despite critics reviews, Amanda Schull the girl who plays Jody is really good, it was funny how her number one problem at the Ballet School was her turn-out(feet position) and that if you've been dancing ballet your whole life, those are one of the things that should be automatic and a total established thing to your whole ballet posture/position, though okay, the directors or producers decided to make that the problem, oky-dok .. whatever, Anyway, Cooper is really the cutest around, I don't know, he seems so good , and Charlie seems, well, a little uptight . Comparing to the wild and freestyled Cooper, he's a little lame to be the guy Jody finally end up with.

Uhm, the girl co-stars, Eva who really is bizarre, being the rebel among the class and turning all goody at the end, uhm . not familiar with those type of human beings , but Maureen, is a great snob. Is the actress playing her really a ballet dancer ? she sure looks like one ! But if you look carefully, while Maureen really dances, there's usually a double .

I must admit, I've never been interested in watching this movie when it came out 2 years ago, I just watched it because of Ilia Kulik, which the majority of people would not neccesarily know of. He was the 1998 Men's Olympic Champion , yeah a figure skater, and well, it's his only film appearance so that's why I really rented it. In other words, he's the russian dude, Sergei who unfortunately for me does not get a lot of screen time . Hm, well, since he wasn't a real ballet dancer, during the Eva Solo at the concert, Sergei got doubled which was no surprise.

Above all, this is recommended, for the average teen dancer or non-dancer , it's cute that's all it really is cute and fun to watch.

Destined to be a cult classic

Author: flamingo1706 from The Southern United States
24 January 2002

For lovers of ballet, this is destined to be a cult classic. WARNING -- MAY CONTAIN A SPOILER -- The plot is a little thin and cliched, some of the acting unpolished, and if "Jody" used the word "amazing" one more time, I thought I would scream. Using newcomers and real dancers was a great move and the efforts of the non or no longer dancers were very believable, use of dance doubles smoothly handled.

Yes, all the cliches were there from the gay male dancer to the womanizing male principal, to the emaciated prima, to the "Balanchine-esque" director with his emphasis on thin, cookie-cutter-body-type ballerinas. But, it is all worth it for the beautifully executed and filmed dance footage. In fact, the plot could have been worse and it would have been worth it just for Ethan Stiefel's magnificent, heart-stopping leap in the jazz class.

The movie never pretends to be academy award winning quality in script and acting, the dancing is another story. From the class scenes, to the salsa club, to the jazz class, to "Cooper's Ballet," the dancing is terrific and high energy and the lyric dance scenes are lovely.

Nice detail in the credit class scenes--the "Cooper Neilson Ballet Company" poster behind Jody shows a scene from Cooper's "so not ABA...ballet for the people." And a missed great quote is Erik's "I do ballet because it has nothing to do with the people; give me tiaras and boys in tights any day." The moral of the story -- heart and dedication (even with bad feet and turnout) win out over perfect but stilted technique -- is predictable, however, in spite of Amanda Schull's classic beauty you can't help cheering for her as a ballet underdog. A great romp of a dance movie.

Great Movie

Author: Angeleina T. Valentine ( from Akron, Ohio
9 September 2001

This movie is awesome. I wasn't sure if I would like it but as of now I have seen it more than 10 times in only 3 weeks of having it. I love the dancing and the storyline works right in with it. I love at the end when Cooper, Jodie, and Charlie are dancing. We know that the ballet is about the triangle with Cooper and Johnathon but you can see too that it became a triangle among Jodie, Charlie and Cooper... I am glad the movie addressed some of the issues that dancers and females in general go through ie, body image. I am also glad that Emilie's mother addressed it straight out... We are all beautiful in God's eyes so we should not change ourselves for man. I also love Eva's character... She shows us that anyone is likeable no matter if they have a huge attitude... She was the real rising star in this movie... She came expecting nothing and became everything... Maureen found herself...This movie is awesome and would reccomend it to anyone... Will there be a sequal... Does anyone know of any other movies like this?

The Best Movie

Author: angel2fairy22 from Cottonwood, Arizona
2 September 2001

I didn't think this movie would be good but after the first veiwing I found myself watching it and renting it more and more. I love the story line of the cast. It has true emotion, I felt sad for the girl who got kicked out because they thought she "didn't take enough pride in her body and that she is too fat"

I love, love, love this movie.

Author: Star_Struck from Houston, Texas
25 August 2001

I have a handful of films that I can watch over and over with ease- and never tire of- and this is one of them. Like most dancing/music oriented films, Center Stage tells a story of a girl and her struggles to be number one in a tough, competitive field. Toss in beautiful dancing, well-developed characters, awesome New York scenery and a kick-ass soundtrack, and you have this gem of a movie.

The situations are real (especially in the world of dancing). The acting is impressive- notice how convincing Peter Gallagher and Donna Murphy are. And, like all good films, there are elements of surprise laced throughout, along with a twisted love story and a fabulous finale.

For anyone with an interest in the performing arts or dance (and anyone who has dreams in general) Center Stage is absolutely worth a view.

Mesmerizing! Thank you for this movie!

Author: Opalville from Stockholm
12 May 2001

This film reminded me fondly of my youth. I have been pirouetting since I was nine months old and recently procured a spot with a wonderful theater company. As an on-again off-again diva, Center Stage really rang true for me. I was a big fan of American Anthem, the Turning Point, Fame, and Billy Elliot, and this film puts all of those to shame. I especially liked the references to bulimia and cigarette smoking. It was as if I was watching a documentary about my own life play out in front of me. The over the top performances are fantastic! After the incredible success of Empire Records, Carol Heineken is two for two! I can't wait for the sequel!

Page 19 of 21: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]