IMDb > Pokémon: The Movie 2000 (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Gekijô-ban poketto monsutâ: Maboroshi no pokemon: Rugia bakutan

Pokémon: The Movie 2000 More at IMDbPro »Gekijô-ban poketto monsutâ: Maboroshi no pokemon: Rugia bakutan (original title)

I get what they are trying to do but I don't like it.

Author: Rosalyn Lim 林惠美 (hayashimegumi) from http://rosalynmuses.blogspot.com
11 December 2014

With all the endearing Pokémon in this animated feature and highly successful television anime series, it's no wonder that this animated feature is a box office success grossing over USD 133 million worldwide. But rewatching it again in 2014, I can't help to slightly feel upset.

The Power of One (1999) is visually beautiful and much lighthearted when compared to its predecessor Mewtwo Strikes Back (1998). However, in terms of storyline, it is worst. The concept of the film is great but its ending and dubbing edits almost destroyed the whole thing.

I must confess, I don't like the ending story. There are scenes that are fun to watch but the prophecy which initially radiates mystery; exactly becomes one of the dumbest thing I have ever heard on screen. Although it is expected that the whole Pokémon anime series and movie is Ash-centred, it is still super shocking alright, especially when the legendary Pokémon fate if not whole world seems to be dependent on him as well.

So, it's sad to conclude The Power of One (1999) as a letdown! Love the fictional disaster, love Lugia's song and voice or cry, love all the adorable Pokémon, love all the majestic legendary Pokémon, love the short film which is the most memorable part of this whole animated feature for me (I may have seen it probably nearly a hundred times as a child) but my gosh, I get what they are trying to do but I don't like it. Love the Pokémon but maybe not the story. :(