IMDb > The Wedding Planner (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Wedding Planner

The Wedding Planner More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

What is everyone complaining about?

Author: TylerDurden_FC from United States
21 July 2005

I've owned this movie for a while, and only needed to see it once before deciding to run to the store to buy it. As a matter of fact, I'm watching it right now, but I got on here and looked it up because I wanted to see what other movies the writer had written (unfortunately---it's the only one.) After looking at the ratings and comments I had to voice my own opinion.

"The Wedding Planner" has everything you could ask from a romantic comedy. Predictability is always a factor, but come on! Do we really watch these types of movies expecting to be surprised at the ending? This film is quirky; all the actors and actresses don't miss a beat and they keep it real. No matter how many times I watch it, I still find something to laugh or smile at.

I haven't yet met a MAN that likes this movie, but if you're a girl that wants something sweet, funny, entertaining, and the "romantic dream"..... in other words: a flick you watch with a pint of ice cream ( =P ) then this is the one for you.

The directing is great, the dialog is entertaining, the acting is enjoyable, the movie over-all is fantastic. It's just sweet...even my mom likes it! O_O

Honestly, stop judging the movie like you're some kind of almighty critic, and watch it for what it is. If you don't like the genre, then pick something else to watch ^_^ Me? I'll stick with "The Wedding Planner".

Only of your girlfriend really wants to see it.

Author: Chris Brown (chrisbrown6453@hotmail.com) from Fresno, Ca. USA
12 July 2001

The Wedding Planner tells an identifiable story about falling in love and failing to recognize it.

The Wedding Planner stars Jennifer Lopez as Mary Fiore, a hardworking, beautiful, single woman of Italian descent, who has made a reputable career as a wedding planner. Fully dedicated to her work, Mary successfully coordinates all the details of her wealthy clients' weddings. She even acts as a kind of therapist, transmitting to the brides and grooms-to-be the optimism that relieves them of their "second-thoughts", and that allows them to fulfill their true dreams of marrying. Yet one day, a literal "faux pas" turns Mary's orderly life upside-down: she walks across a street and gets her shoe stuck in a manhole. Just then, a dumpster menacingly rolls down the steep San Francisco street, towards her. Noticing that the dumpster is rapidly gaining speed, a young man rushes to help Mary out of her dilemma. The two are instantly enveloped by the rush of the moment, falling victims to love at first sight. Soon, however, fate shows its cruel side, proving that the handsome Steve Edison (Mathew McConaughey) is tied to Fran Donelly (Bridgette Wilson-Sampras), one of Mary's most promising clients. In the meantime Salvatore (Alex Rocco), Mary's concerned father, tries to inspire her to consider her childhood inamorato Massimo (Justin Chambers), who just arrived from Italy. Torn between acting sensibly and fulfilling her long suppressed dreams of marrying, Mary must first determine which love is the one destined for her.

The Wedding Planner exploits the physical beauty of its star (Lopez) and emphasizes her character's style and professionalism at work, while defining her personality as that of a free-spirited, down-to-earth person who enjoys dancing and playing Bingo with her father and his elderly friends. Similarly, her costar (McConaughey) is depicted as a good-looking, sensitive man who enjoys his work as a pediatrician. However, the film's secondary characters, especially Mary's family, friends and coworkers, are sketchy and mostly inconsequential. Thus, The Wedding Planner creates a story that solely revolves around the coupling of its two main characters; a choice which makes The Wedding Planner's plot extremely predictable, although at times amusing. While the plot complications are limited to the unavailability of either of the two main characters (where Steve is unable to abandon his prior commitments and Mary is ready to take up new ones), The Wedding Planner is most enjoyable when it creates romantic settings for its lovesick characters.

Brutal and excruciating

Author: KiwiPsycho from NZ
7 August 2001

The only thing more baffling than how movies this bad could ever be made is how movies this bad could go to #1 in the box office. I despair for humanity at times. The Wedding Planner features a rehashed and unoriginal plot, poor acting, no funny moments, and a ridiculous scene where Jennifer Lopez is prepared to risk getting flattened by a runaway dumpster in order to pull her shoe out of a hole in the street. riiiiiight!

A flawed, mildly formulaic but likable and charming romantic comedy that will probably keep you smiling

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
3 July 2001

True, "The Wedding Planner" does have its share of cinematic conceits. Just watching the previews, you pretty much have a good idea what's going to happen in the end. But unlike many romantic comedies, this is not predictable by the minute. The characters are likable and charming, and you get quite engrossed in them. The actors are charming as well. Jennifer Lopez and Matthew McCoughnahey are equally good and have a fine chemistry. The scenes, in general, are handled in a sweet-natured fashion without becoming nauseatingly sentimental. The opening scene is very original and made me laugh. In the first scene, we get an idea of how Mary (Lopez) plans her weddings, staging them like a secret service operation, strapping wires to the bride and groom, feeding them suggestions as they walk down the aisle and making sure all the guests are in order pronto. There are certain moments of "sitcom stupidity." There's a scene where Steve (McCoughnahey) gets his hand stuck to a statue's privates. The comedy was badly timed and the scene appeared quite lame. A similar joke was used in Rodney Dangerfield's "Meet Wally Sparks," but was done in a much more structured manner and spawned hilarious results. About the member of the cast who I felt was a little hammy was Alex Rocco as Mary's Sicilian father. His accent comes and goes, and in some scenes he struggles so much with it that he starts talking like someone with down syndrome. Fred Willard has a short but funny, scene-stealing role (when hasn't Willard stolen the show?) as a ballroom dance teacher. There are some moments in the plot that are forced and created simply to move the film along, so we can quickly arrive at the "juicy climax." One of the subplots involves Mary's father trying to fix his daughter up with this silly, thick-accented Sicilian cassanova. He wants her to get married to him, but she refuses. Throughout the film, they don't seem to have any more than a friendly bond. Yet later in the film, he makes a sweet proposal and Mary actually agrees to marry him. The ending is far-fetched and over-the-top, and though I can't discuss it you've probably seen this ending before. One thing I have to credit the writers for is refusing to make Fran (Bridgette Wilson-Sampras--Man, is she sooooo beautiful!!!) a total b**ch, like they would in most films of a similiar plot. The way the formula goes is the guy's engaged this girl, while another girl captures his heart. But the girl he's engaged to is usually so unlikable that you wonder why he wanted to marry her in the first place. I'm glad they didn't take that cheap route. Even Fran has a certain charm to her character. The charming characters and the charming actors are really what makes this movie worth seeing. Yes, it's pretty much (though less than usual) a formula romantic comedy, but a likable one because of the way we're captured by the people on screen. This is not a great film, it has its dull moments, it has its silly moments, but it's often a fun and pleasant movie experience. You'll fall in love with "The Wedding Planner."

My score: 7 (out of 10)

A wedding planner with no relationship of her own is doubtful about love's existence, until she meets Steve.

Author: rebekahscheys
29 January 2013

Jennifer Lopez is right at home playing the strong, intelligent professional, Mary, and despite her inability to properly tell a joke ("What, you think Kissinger wrote his own stuff?) or properly communicate strong emotion (like despair), she does well in the cutesy moments. Matthew McConaughey is charming as the conflicted Steve, and expertly plays both his character's dry, cynical side and his boyish joyfulness. The two play against one another well, unlike the boring Fran, whose idea of the perfect wedding song is Olivia Newton-John's "I Honestly Love You," and who can't seem to find one legitimate reason why she wants to marry Steve in the first place.

As there are no other true funny characters, Massimo is perhaps intended to provide the film's comic relief, but his "humor" flows less from witty screen writing and masterful delivery and more from the director's mistaken assumption that every line a character delivers in broken English must be funny. Overall, "The Wedding Planner" does a good job of fulfilling audience expectations and creating characters that, while likable, are simply rom-com archetypes. The true romantic, unsatisfied with paltry declarations of love and empty representations of it, hopes for a bit more.

Read my full review here: thecorrelationfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/my-best-friends- weddingthe-wedding-planner/

"The Wedding Planner" is lacking in comedy but has tangible romance

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
22 August 2010

"The Wedding Planner" is just another romantic comedy, and just another one starring Jennifer Lopez, and just another one starring Matthew McConaughey. As I have said before, Jennifer Lopez has such a beautiful feminine figure that I would prefer to see her as the romantic lead as opposed to most other Hollywood actresses working today. McConaughey is of course sexy with a laid-back charm, but that's just who he is.

This particular romantic comedy isn't all that funny, but the writers did seem to know which elements were necessary and included them. We find out McConaughey's secret the same time Lopez does, which is good because it helps us identify with our main heroine and we don't have to sit uncomfortably before the characters do. They also gave us another man - he's supposed to provide comic relief, and I did at least enjoy him. We also need to dislike the fiancée. Cast Bridgette Wilson and make her a stuck-up snob, so that is easily accomplished.

One thing that I found that "The Wedding Planner" has over lesser romantic comedies, is genuine chemistry between the leads. Although it's certainly lacking in the comedy, I found the romance tangible.

Cant give it negative

Author: reinx from Georgia
11 December 2002

Seriously, this movie gets about a negative 20. Jennifer Lopez has always been a mystery to me, why does she do acting? She's obviously awful at it. The characters are pretty flat, the story is painfully predictable and upsettingly trite.

This movie is bad, but it is not THAT bad. Quite mediocre.

Author: mospel from Home
9 March 2003

When I got to watch this movie I thought it would really suck, but I got disappointed. This movie is by no means great, actually I think it is quite bad, BUT it has it´s qualities. The story - while not very subtle - has a few interesting points. The acting is not great, but it is not that bad, either.

There is even a scene which I consider quite funny (the dancing thing, I do not want to include a spoiler on a movie that does not provide that much of a tension, so I am keeping this statement vague). I would not recommend to watch this, but if by some means you are being pushed to watch it, it will not mean that much pain.

So Stupid!

Author: lkarhu from Helsinki, Finland.
10 December 2002

I really do love romantic comedies, but this one was so stupid, so simple, so naive, that it made me feel sick. The chemistry between the main couple - or any of the couples - was so superficial! An other same kind of movie, My Best Friend's Wedding (Julia Roberts film), is not my favourite either, but it has at least some sense and moral. Comparing to this -- piece of junk.

Medium movie...

Author: Thanos Alfie from Greece
6 March 2014

"The Wedding Planner" is a comedy and romance movie which has to do with a woman who is a wedding planner and she fell in love with a man who finally will be the groom of the most important wedding in her entire carrier. We watch her being in a dilemma and this has to do with what is she going to do, is she going to help the groom with his wedding or is she going to be his bride.

In this movie we have a simple romance story between a simple woman with an important and rich man, a simple plot and direction by Adam Shankman. Also in this movie we have some good interpretation by Matthew McConaughey who plays as Steve Edison and I am sure that he want to forget this movie as fast as he can and Jennifer Lopez who plays as Mary Fiore.

If you are a fan of romance movies then "The Wedding Planner" is a movie which I am sure that you will love it. If you are not fan then just do not watch this movie and do not lose your time on it.

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]