IMDb > Python (2000) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Python

Python (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

No gore, no good acting, no suspense, no surprises Python

Author: Mathias (experten) from Stockholm, Sweden
25 March 2001

There are good animal-horror movies like the first class movie Jaws. There are other animal-horror movies that are not first class but still entertaining enough, like They Nest, Slugs and Anaconda.

But most of the animal-horror movies are bad and Python is one of the worst.

Some movies have a predictable plot, but can still be exciting, because they are well made and make you nervous as you wait for something expected but terrible to happen. Python is certainly predictable, but it is not well made and it never gets exciting. The only entertainment you can get is to marvel over how bad it is.

The snake itself doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look like it fits into the movie. It looks computer generated and it is so big that it is laughable.

There are no gore scenes to compensate for lousy and exaggerated acting. Van Dien has never showed good acting but here he is so bad that it is obvious that he got instructions from a director without talent.

Some of the roles seem to be created for comical relief (the stupid cop and the unbelievable woman that is buying a house) but they are not funny, only irritating, unconvincing and exaggerated.

The plot is not only predictable, it´s also full of logical errors such as: Why would the government leave explosives in an abandoned laboratory? If the snake is so big and powerful, why keep it in a box of wood? If the snake can move with the laughable speed of 50 mph and you can see that it moves fast (although not that fast), why is it so slow when it is chasing people that it seems to take forever for it to catch up? If you are chased by a gigantic snake would you stop to check out what looks like a small house? If you went in would you forget to close the door? Of course it just happens to be a special house. How can the snake hear things? Did the obligatory mad scientist provide it with ears? I am prepared to oversee some mistakes in a movie, but there are no good scenes in Python that make it worth to see. My rating of this movie is 1, awful.

A New Definition In Dumb

Author: Bayjohn from Mississippi
21 June 2002

If you are looking for a good Sci-Fi or Horror film, this is not the movie to see. If you are looking for a stupid, low-budget film to mock (like MST3K fans), then this is your movie.

The low budget is very evident in the scenery, or lack thereof. The acting is atrocious, and that is surprising considering the talent involved in this project. Casper Van Diem is horribly miscast as a southern business executive that works in Washington state. Casper's accent is beyond fake and his lines are delivered way over the top! Robert Englund must have needed the money...enough said.

The effects are pretty good, considering the budget. The computer generated effects seem to be top notch, but the snake moves too fast to be believable. The fx guys do use a prop snake tail in some scenes and it is very noticable in every scene it is used.

Granted, the director did use tongue-in-cheek humor in a self-mockingly way throughout this film. However, the viewer will have the impression that the director wasn't entirely sure he was making a comedy or a horror movie after seeing this film.

If a cheesy film is what you're in the mood for tonight, see this movie. Otherwise, stay clear.

Ohh, it's a Kill The Celebrities Movie!

Author: dahstra from Utah, USA
5 July 2004

Anaconda turned me off of snake movies, but I decided to see this one because Casper's in it. My last impression of the movie during the credits was, "ohh, it's a Kill The Celebrities Movie!" It was fun to see so many celebrities, Van Dien, Englund, Wheaton, Zabka, but only ONE of them survives! The snake's special effects weren't bad as long as it wasn't a close up. Actually, I wish that the special effects for Mummy II (The Scorpion King) had been done as well as this snake (there was a joke). The gore (acid eaten bodies) actually looked cool and I was happy there weren't any close ups of those. The gore from the snake's death was less than I expected because of the scene's setup. It wasn't very climactic. But hey, maybe that's what REALLY would have happened. The very end shows all of the survivors six months later. There was NO point to that. I'd have expected to see some "hint" at another movie, but no. It was just, look how happy every one is after this and they've achieved all their dreams. Warm and fuzzy, but it didn't propel the storyline. Good Saturday afternoon movie to relax to after you finish mowing the lawn.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Author: Brandy-28 from Los Angeles
30 September 2001

I don't think I have ever seen a more stupid movie in all my life. Now I have to admit - I always - ALWAYS - go into a movie or video with my head and eyes open to everything. I don't look at the lighting or listen to the script or look for any kind a flaw in the making of any picture. But sometimes you just want to kill certain characters in this movie. Didn't you. I COULD NOT STAND THAT DEPUTY that kept on pointing the finger at the biker guy as the murderer of those people. This movie was just plain dumb and the ending was even more dumb. It was like they were all posing for pictures and talking at the same time. Acting 101 - this is what this cast seemed to have just finished before starting this film.

Fun Flick

Author: lcri-1 from United States
25 August 2006

Python certainly isn't art, and it's not gonna win any awards. However, it IS a fun little movie for a night with some soda (or, if you're old enough, beer) and popcorn. The snake changes size many times, (at one point it hides in a garage behind some boxes, but he is then suddenly 15X the length of a car.)and even the marketing is messed up-the cover says it's "sixty feet of pure terror", but the scientist in the movie says it's 128 feet long. The acting isn't the greatest and the CGI is terrible (the snake's "acid" looks like expired Jell-O), but the movie is a good one to watch and let your brain go on autopilot. For B-Movie fans, or people who thought Anaconda didn't have enough stupid jokes, this one is an absolute must-see.

Greatest Movie Ever!!!!! (ok just kidding!)

Author: irishbabe
24 February 2002

Ok, so this movie was a piece of trash. The snake, which only appeared two or three times in the whole movie, looked like the graphics from a Super Nintendo. And the writing sounded like it was written by people from Sesame Street. And let's not even talk about the random lesbian scene at the beginning of the movie, (I don't even know where to start with that one.) But COME ON!!!!! WIL WHEATON!!!!! How could you not like a movie that has Wil Wheaton in it. This purple hair really did something for me. I know I would like to buy a house from some punk kid with purple hair. And that death scene. That should have won an oscar! It isn't everyday that you see Wesley Crusher butted into a wall and then eaten by a giant venom spitting Python. This is just a fun movie to watch. Watch it with some friends. It is a hoot!

WoW!

Author: husky420 from Storrs, Connecticut
19 March 2002

It is quite rare in this world to come upon a stroke of pure genius such as Python. Superb acting, a plot with more turns than a meter stick, and the special effects...Oh the special effects. Lets just say that George Lucas better watch out cuz the lead animator of Python Kevin Little is on his ass! So what if Johnny from Karate Kid is in it. So what if their plan to kill the snake was as half assed as they come( the guy took his harness off to put another one on!). Who cares if they out ran a snake that supposedly goes 50mph on bikes...which they made sure to put their helmets on before riding. And the ending...The ending was pure cinematic genius. I mean a bike shop/bar. Why haven't I come up with this idea. I could sell bikes and drink beer at the same time. That's unbelievable. And she's pregnant! Hooray! What is that about huh? Is she having mutant half snake half Johnny from karate kid babies? Why do we need to know this! And six months? It took that douche six months to get this ugly beast in the sack! I mean come on. If they are gonna be casting a female lead would you pick this chick! They had Jenny McCarthy in the movie for 2 minutes ( which were excruciating by the way) and they have this hose beast in the lead female role. What up wit dat! This was atrocious!

Stay Black,

Jamal the Love Mule

cheesy fun WARNING!!!!!! SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: callanvass
4 August 2004

cheesy fun has a silly opening lots of blood splashes and TONS of goofy characters but this is also quite well made and decently directed but the script has quite a few problems in it and the story isn't all that great and has quite a few logic lapses the acting is okay Robert Englund is pretty good here and he just always seems to creep me out no matter what role he plays i LOVE him! Frayne Rosanoff is decent but spurts out some lame dialog at times but overall he comes through William Zabka is good here and is quite likable (one of the few)here unlike that other idiot police officer that worked with him in this flick but i will get to that later Casper Van Dien is okay here and didn't impress me that much Dana Baron does not have much to do here other than scream yell argue and look hot she does that very well Sean Whalen is not an actor! he is one of the worst actors i have ever seen in my life i wouldn't be surprised if he was an idiot in real life! cameo by Jenny McCarthy there is a laughable moment when Lisa threatens the snake with a shampoo bottle, and a rubber ducky overall a cheesy flick but pretty entertaining you could do worse recommended for a night of cheap thrills **1/2 out of 5

Hmm....

Author: navysealcdr
9 November 2002

*SPOLIERS* Okay I saw this at the video store, and chuckled at it.

I read it and chuckled again. Horror? This is not a horror movie. This a comedy! It's so bad in some parts that its funny! Don't get me wrong, this movie wasn't HORRIBLE. It wasn't a very good horror movie though. Some things that are disappointing: The snake looks so fake. You can tell it's computer. The snake at the start seems to have trouble w/ the wooden wall, but breaks down walls and a steel door in one hit elsewhere The snake on Robert Englund's finger reamins stiff throughout and looks fake. Good things: Jenny McCarthy (The funniest sequence in the movie! That song!) Robert Englund Casper VanDiem (however the hell you spell it) Lesbian Sex

Other things about the movie: The movie wasn't scary. But it was funny as Hell! Like the ending! "I killed a giant python, and all I got was this lousey t-shirt" Again, not a good horror film but excellent comedy! Horror rating: 3/10 Comedy rating: 8/10 Overall, good movie to watch if your in for a good laugh at pathetic filmmaking.

This needs LOTS of spoilers...

Author: Neal Thompson from Los Angeles
8 November 2003

to keep you from watching it. To think, someone got paid for writing this script and the script to BOA, not to mention Python II. Some of these actors are actually good...IN OTHER MATERIAL. They Must need the money or screen time reeeeeeeeeeal bad.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]