IMDb > Memento (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Memento

Memento More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 212: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

What, is telling a story backward now become standard?

Author: wally-70 from Los Angeles, California
15 June 2003

I cannot tell you how many recent movies I have seen that start with the character in a screwed up situation, then backtell how he got there. I hate it! It's like a spoiler for the whole film! It takes away all the mystery, it's like someone telling you when you are going to die. Why go on living? Why go on watching such a film? Just Married and Salton Sea are two recent copy cat examples. I guess it is the latest style. And what about all these absurd movies trying to be like Fargo or a Tarantino flick, example Orange County.

This film is like all those, rolled into one. This film is very clever with the main character having no short term memory but that is where it ends. It is NOT top 250 material. I think that the ranking system is screwed up or something. It is better than 238 of the best films of all time? Helloooooooooo?

It is a crappy overused story, told in an unusual way with ok acting. Wife is killed, person seeking the murderer etc etc.

Lame-O

Author: whateverbro from California
3 June 2003

I saw this movie with neutral expectations, and I don't see what all the fuss is about. It is TERRIBLE. Difficult to keep eyes open through the entire thing. What happened to you people when you saw it? Did your tickets come with free popcorn or something? How is the movie so appealing? The plot is semi-original, the acting puke-inducing. I say it loud for all to hear: LAME-O.

Sucked

Author: dengel
18 May 2003

After seeing how many people loved this flick, I am surprised. I guess you should be wide awake and completely alert to watch it. I was tired and I could not wait for this movie to end. It left too many questions unanswered at the end. I will admit that it was an interesting way to film a thriller.

What the ... ????

Author: newleaf from Hartford, Connecticut
20 December 2002

From reading the pretentious reviews here, you'd think that this is going to be a great movie.

You'd be wrong.

The words "strange" and "weird" come to mind, but if you want me to say something really nice, all I can think of is that I borrowed the DVD from the library, so it was free.

Making this one of the top movies on IMDB is an insult to all the other truly good movies that are on the list. I gave it a 3.

Overrated.

Author: lyonspride
14 November 2002

OK, granted this movie has a unique premise. This movie is quite entertaining and will keep ya watching. But this movie is not the amazing work of art many would have you believe. It is a decent thriller with a twist in that it works backwards and puts the watcher into the same mindset of our main character who has reoccuring amnesia. Decent movie that changes the viewers opinion throughout the flick as our character slowly works his way through time in reverse. We see things happen and then we slowly find out how those things came to be as we move farther back.

***********Spoiler****************

One major fault in the movie. The scene where our main character is manipulated by the lady to deal with her boyfriend is completely screwy. They tried to make it out that she totally planned it and covered all the bases but if one watches that scene one can see that one million things could have gone wrong and even should have when she plays her game and gets hit. Hiding of the pens, the seriously fast relapse of the main character (and her not knowing at that point how fast a lapse takes), and other problems just bugged me with that one scene. It was the most far fetched part of the entire movie and should have been done differently.

A cerebral puzzle without passion

Author: PLRD from NJ Coast
4 August 2002

Fragmented, disjointed, unsequential story and screenplay, is innovative and certainly attention-getting, but ultimately mutes the emotional impact of film. Too few moments when the viewers here could connect, possibly because you have to work so hard continuously to figure out what is going on. An intricate cerebral puzzle but without passion.

So boring it annoyed me

Author: Michael Laing from United Kingdom
30 April 2002

Memento started out well, I was enthralled for the first twenty minutes. The next twenty minutes I found ok, the twenty minutes after that I started to get bored and after that I just wanted the film to end. No I did not get the ending before the end reel but by that time I didn't care, it had turned into a matter of wills, which would break first my will to watch the film or my will to say to a friend that this was the most boring piece of s*** I have seen in ages and could he please turn it off. The former won, but I felt tha I had wasted two hours of my life which I cannot now get back. If you want a film with a good plot twist watch The Usual Suspects, if you want to watch a film and then be able to say well I'm a real fan watch Memento. Watching Memento and saying it is wonderful isn't a case of watching interlectual film its a case of thinking you are watching a interlectual film, whilst in fact you are watching second rate tat which isn't smart or clever.

Mediocre story saved by cinematographic contrivance

Author: (setheisenberg@hotmail.com) from Seattle, WA
17 November 2001

Perhaps because this movie was rated SO HIGHLY, my viewing was tainted by unrealistically bolstered expectations. Maybe...

There was a strange twist of irony at work here: the more I watched this film the less I liked it. What began as a wonderfully, refreshing look at (reverse) story-telling, became less entertaining and more tedious with each passing (and re-passing) flash-back (or is that flash-forward?)

Part of this film played like an old Twilight Zone episode I recall seeing many years ago. And that's not a bad thing. I enjoyed piecing together the "why" of the plot, since we already knew the "what." However, generally uninteresting and unappealing characters mar the performances, and while our hero may be unaware of time, as a viewer I was painfully aware of how his film seemed to drag, lacking a good sense of timing. As for the ending, it too could have been given the same delicious touches as the beginning sequence, but alas, it does nothing to reward the viewer for having endured the bulk of the film.

One reviewer commented how well this HIGHLY RATED film will hold up in another few years when compared to the classics. Others have asked how on earth it could have rated so high to begin with. The former will be answered on its own, and I believe time will not be too kind. The answer to the latter is akin to the McDonald's Syndrome: Those who grew up eating Big Macs on a regular basis erroneously come to believe it's actually good food. Perhaps compared to what Hollywood is offering these days, Memento is indeed gourmet fare. To me, it's still just a hamburger. (6 out of 10).

Good? I don't think so

Author: moviewiz-4 from New Zealand, Indonesia
23 May 2001

Good? I believe this story is good but how can a film maker get the idea of making the story backwards? It simple ridiculous. The plot follow through the story well but this movie will only suitable for expert users, someone who hold at least a bachelor degree to understand this movie well, otherwise, people might think it is a magic or fantasy movie.

Also, the ending... what happened next? the screen just turn black and end title rolling. So... at least a last intro should be written. Anyway, enjoyable movie.

not worth the time we spend on watching it

Author: sudhir-solomon from India
14 November 2014

I heard many people say that 'Memento' is an exceptionally brilliant movie which gave inspiration to our own local directors who took the basic concept from it and made a very successful movie here. Now when I see it, I am just wondering how come that it has occupied place in top 250 IMDb rating. May be that I like movies with straight forward story that is gripping and its narration flowing smoothly. It is all as confusing and vague as the mind of the character played by Guy Pierce. It is simply hard to find what he(the lead) did first and what he did later. Whether he commits murder and drives away in car or first drives in and then murders or whether he commits the murder at all. It is taxing on the mind of the viewer to watch the narration going back and forth and it is really tough to keep track of the story line. Many of movies of this director demand certain level of IQ from the viewers to get to his style of narrative. I am very sorry to say that ,but for me, it does not seem worth the time I spent watching this movie.