IMDb > Memento (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Memento

Memento More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 209: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]
Index 2087 reviews in total

Memento or how to make an insipid story seem intricate

Author: Rik Ruiter from Netherlands
14 November 2013

As for the story: throw in the usual wrongfully deceased wife/daughter. Add a formula, like memory loss, also a proved recipe. Now throw in a little gimmick, lets write it backwards in time, or half of it forward and printed backwards so you need to read it using a mirror.. Something like that. Great idea! Really, after I managed to recompose the story from its fragments, all I had was an incredibly thin story. With entirely one- dimensional characters, all equally unlikeable. This one I can spoil in a single line. Guy suffers from memory loss from a head injury, and tries to get revenge, but is used time after time because of his memory loss. Give or take a handful of unimportant and uninteresting details. Top ten movie? Apparently people can be bought cheaply, and they take chaos for complexity when given the chance.

Snazzy editing doesn't make an amazing film

Author: Alex Clover (alexclover@hotmail.com)
10 July 2001

The majority of people on this comments board attribute this film's success to its very original editing style. The film is built upon this style, showing you a present-time snippet of the main character which leaves you wondering about why he got there and what he's doing. The film then continues showing you a snippet of the immediate preceding past of the main character, and so on backwards in time helping you understand the beginning of the film. That's where the movie's originality stops. The plot itself is filled with huge holes. While the premise is interesting, it is hardly plausible that someone with no short-term memory would not be 'assisted' by society in any way, nor that he could not have a notebook handcuffed to him or something rather than all the tattoos. I found the movie rather predictable and did not really care about the movie after about halfway through.

Still, an interesting and innovative movie-making style with a neat, if unplausible, situation for the main character. This coupled with sometimes very unconvincing acting by the main actor (although it is a hard role, he never really pulls it off) and a wholly boring plot earns this movie a 7 in my book.

If you want to see a real whodunnit type movie that will haunt you for a long time to come, try Thesis by Spanish director Almenabar which I saw last night and save Memento for a day you want to study film rather than enjoy it.

Not as good as I'd hoped.

Author: Samuel Miller (samuelmiller@comcast.net) from Maryland
13 October 2002

I'd heard a lot of great things about this film before going out to rent it. But once I did, I must say I was not extremely thrilled with it as the rest of the world seems to be.

It is a brilliant and creative idea of how to make a movie (backward revealing of pieces of the story with every new scene) but unless I missed something, I believe that this is all this film had to offer. The acting was good, the story was good, the movie was good... but I do not believe it should be rated the number 1 best indie film and number 10 best film of all time. (As it is on IMDB while I write this review)

I think it simply receives a lot of praise because it is a movie made in a way that no one has ever seen before. A friend even told me that he thought it was an amazing movie--though he didn't quite totally understand it. Maybe it is appealing because it is confusing and people view it as a "smart" film because they can't quite follow totally what it going on and they have to watch it over and over again. Either way, I believe it has received much more acclaim than it deserves. It has certainly won many awards for great editing and original screenplays, etc--which it has. But a movie of the year--or of all time as some IMDB users are rating it--I totally disagree.

Finally, It is indeed totally original in the way a story is told and presented, but it is certainly not the greatest movie of all time. I was disappointed overall with this film. I do not believe it is a must-see.

I could film an entire movie by attaching a camera to a dogs back and having him film the action, then playing it on the big screen mirrored and upside-down during some scenes. That would certainly be an original idea never seen by movie-goers before, but that doesn't mean it should be voted into a group with The Godfather or Citizen Kane.

I'm not saying Memento is like watching an upside-down film from a dog's point of view... But I'm saying it's up there with the Godfather for reasons that it should NOT be.

Pretentious dreck

Author: jack-online from United States
28 April 2014

The novelty of this movie is supposed to be the shuffled time-line and slowly revealed plot elements. But, neither improve the mildly lackluster story. Rather, they make it an agonizing waste of time.

Movies are meant to entertain, or at the very least, to educate. This snoozer does neither. It seems to me merely an exercise in hipper-than-thou pretentiousness. And, so many of the high-ratings coupled with reviews raving over how artistic and original the approach absolutely confirm this by presuming that anyone who doesn't like Momento is somehow incapable of understanding the complexity. Rubbish (both the movie and the smug reviews). If anything, it is they who are incapable of seeing through the hype to know when they've been duped.

Yes, I hung in there for the entire movie... only to wish I'd ditched after the first 10 or 15 minutes when I was first inclined to give up on it. And, yes, I do know the difference between art and pretense.

Take my advice. If you reach the same impasse shortly into your viewing, BAIL! I give you my permission. You won't be missing a thing.

Like An Ipod on Shuffle But only containing 6 songs playing for 2 hours

Author: wyattlaughlin from Florida
29 August 2012

I really hate to discredit art when credit is due. But in the case of memento if you like to watch a barrage of continuously replayed and ominously boring clips and a truly not so thrilling movie with a has been leading actor who would sadly do better on a lifetime movie rather than this. This is sad to see what is becoming of America or rather the world when this kind of a movie gets such a good rating. This movie was a blundering piece of reverse psychology that a 6 month old child could have guessed from the beginning. However if you feel like watching an almost 2 hour movie with only 45 minutes of film love going from color to black and white with no intentional purpose and like to feel like your mind is stuck in an ipod shuffle with bad 80s music for what feels like hours be my guest and watch this boring pile of garbage just remember i told you so.

Mass hysteria?

Author: shea-8 from reality-ville
14 October 2001

Memento is far from an original concept and the plot closely resembles Swiss-cheese. It quite simply does not warrant the praise given it, which I suspect is heavily weighted by the 15-21 male demographic (see Bottle Rocket). The blatant contradictions presented by the sub-standard writing are conveniently covered with mind-numbing violence (as opposed to that which is stimulating, thereby justifying the waste of 90 minutes of my life). Ooh! I have no memory; it must be a "condition"!

If you don't get it because it is so "mind-blowing", wait until you grow up and understand that being confused by the story doesn't indicate clever writing. I can't stress enough, SAVE YOUR VOTE UNTIL PUBERTY IS OVER! At the very least, commit to a second viewing before casting! It is simply embarrassing to indicate that this movie is rated as #9 by US voting standards (what are the French going to think?). It is going to lower the standards of movies being produced worldwide!

Resist the temptation to fall into the pit of hype! Watch Groundhog Day instead.

Rated 10th best overall? Is this a joke?

Author: jfm424 from Milwaukee, USA
31 January 2003

Rated 10th best overall by IMDB? There was nothing above average in this movie. A weak plot that unfolds backwards is worse, not fresh, creative, or ground-breaking. If you ranked this movie in your top 10 you probably enjoyed such classics as Lost Highway and Drowning Mona.

If you can appreciate an art display consisting of a cage of live chickens running around, this movie is for you. Otherwise, this movie was a sharp stick in the eye. Avoid at all costs.

substantially unrealistic

Author: Apollo55
25 June 2001

Why didn't this idiot keep an organized journal instead of always shuffling for small pieces of paper and pictures in misc. unorganized places, not to mention different rooms, when he knew he wouldn't remember anything come tomorrow? There was no way he should have been/could have been on the street driving [not knowing where he came from or probably why he was going to point B] let alone seriously be carrying a gun trying to fulfil a vengeance correctly. I'm lucky he didn't point the gun at me. A boring story told in forward so it had to be told sloppily and in reverse as a last ditch effort to be "intellectually" interesting. Save your time on this one. And ya, ya, don't bother to tell me about the nuances of it being told in reverse it was just lackluster film.

Ambitious and smart, but the rating is fake

Author: adamw25 from UK
13 February 2017

If 'Memento' was released this year, there is absolutely no chance it would achieve the average rating of 8.5 that is currently has on IMDb. That rating puts 'Memento' in the top 50 highest rated movies of all time. To say that such a ranking is misleading would be an understatement.

This film is unique and like nothing that had previously been attempted before its release. The plot is ambitious and intelligently told, giving the audience an insight into the mind of a short-term memory loss sufferer. The film makes for absorbing, but also frustrating viewing. I got the impression that 'Memento' thinks its better than it really is.

Overall, a decent and unique thriller, but the rating is misleading and not a true reflection of the quality of the film. Interesting? Yes. Top 50 of all time? No!

How did this get an 8.5 I seriously don't understand

Author: Maruko Nïnjä
1 May 2016

Let me put this straight: This movie is simply boring. It is different from other movies and it does have a plot twist but it failed to hold my attention so when the plot twist was revealed, I didn't even bother to care anymore. The storyline is stupid, I don't understand why many people here say it's clever and entertaining, to me it's so so so boring, repetitive and pretentious to the point that I kept wondering: "what is the point of all this when we all know the protagonist's final action already?" Oh and talking about the protagonist. He is an incredibly unbelievable character, at the beginning I thought he was supposed to be funny but after that when I realized he was pretty serious about his "condition" and all the vengeance thing I lost interest and couldn't care less. The movie is only 1 and a half hour long yet the number of times I yawned while watching it was countless.