IMDb > Memento (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Memento

Memento More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 200: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]
Index 2000 reviews in total

best original style of movie I have seen

Author: austrumubanka from Latvia
27 February 2009

Just imagine how interesting and admirable is the script, where beginning of the movie is resolution of the whole story, which you realize only at the end. The idea itself about a man with very short memory is very catching and unique. The whole film is unique - the story and the way it is shown. This movie is great example of when something experimental and original is not tired out or exaggerated, but is presented in naturally simple way, it will always be something very successful. I have seen people who doesn't like it at all, but I presume that these people simply cannot or don't want to hold their attention to something more complex than easygoing Sunday movies, as a result of which the whole story of the movie going backwards is simply lost.

A modern-day masterpiece...

Author: bharatmisr from India
3 February 2009

Distinguished director Christopher Nolan comes out with his second directorial venture 'Memento', and this one surpasses every movie of its genre. The first fifteen minutes of the movie are completely undecipherable to the viewer, as it takes time for the audience to figure out the unique style of multiple narratives and reverse story-telling used by the director. After that, though, the movie grips your senses and takes you on a suspense-filled ride, and the suspense does not end until the credits start rolling down. The climax of the movie takes you off-guard and you keep on thinking about the movie for days. You have to watch it at least twice to understand each and every scene and dialogue. The movie has a great concept, and an excitingly taut storyline. Guy Pearce acts marvelously well, especially in scenes when he forgets his whereabouts and the identities of people he meets. Carrie-Anne Moss does full justice to her character, though her dialogue delivery is somewhat sloppy. Joe Pantoliano acts wonderfully, as usual. This one is my personal favorite in the genre of psychological thriller. The movie is refreshingly innovative, and I'm sure that viewers looking for an intelligent plot and a lightning-fast narrative. would revere this as the best piece of cinema of all time. The gritty direction also allows each and every character develop deeply, engrossing the viewers even more. Nolan is a master film-maker, and steers the movie through the mind of the protagonist, delivering a gripping thriller. He focuses more on the mentality of the characters, rather than the physical elements of the story. It somewhat reminds me of the short story 'The Sphinx without a Secret' by Oscar Wilde. All in all, this one is a must-watch, and your Hollywood viewing is incomplete without watching 'Memento'.

Ingenious film-making

Author: jamiecostelo58 from United Kingdom
15 January 2009

Its most likely many viewers will think that filming a motion picture in reverse order makes it either ridiculous or over-the-top, but taking one look at Memento makes you realise that it actually works so well. I, for one, thought this cannot work in any shape or form. Upon viewing this movie, I believed I would be able to read through the plot and have everything (and anything) worked out in a flash, thus strengthening my notion that this 'back-to-front' concept is nonsense. How wrong was I? Memento is a film that makes you to go into the difficult and turbulent mind of a man trying his damnedest to seek revenge upon his wife's killer, but because of a condition which prevents him for remembering very recent events, finds it extremely difficult to do so; Guy Pearce is nothing short of brilliant as Lenoard, and certainly proves how versatile an actor he is. The perception of Memento is such, after only a few minutes of watching a particular scene, we are forced to reevaluate events witnessed. Its this strong aspect of the film that makes it so groundbreaking and legendary.

The final scene in Memento will leave the viewer trying hard to think what situation was what and how a certain situation occurred. Personally, I'm not sure why a certain event happened, but then again that is the whole point. Recording a film in reverse would normally be a complete waste of time, but watching Memento certainly discourages that thought. Excellent.

Memento - Challenges the notion of certainty

Author: sant2050
28 December 2008

I also have frantically started writing. I want to make note of the movie lest I forget it. The movie has ingrained a sense of condition in me as well. Leonard says the memory can change, the color of the car can change. True?? One of the puzzling pieces was the presence of a picture of Lenny bare chested and happy. It doesn't have a caption and he doesn't question why. He is conditioned you see, he is confident. Leonard believes he can lead the life as the police conducts investigation, taking notes, relying on facts. Well, the problem is what are facts? All in all, a puzzling movie and it drives the viewer also into the whirlwind of thinking. It challenges your notions of being, notions of certainty. It's not just a movie, it's more than that. "Memento" is an episode in your life which presses you hard.

Get into the mindset of a man with short term memory loss

Author: ChristopherNolanFan from Sydney, Australia
1 December 2008

"Memento", directed by Christopher Nolan, starring Guy Pearce, Carrie Anne-Moss and Joe Pantoliano is an Independent Film masterpiece that conveys and depicts one man's love for his wife and what he will do to seek justice for her murder. It is a film that is sure to stand the test of time.

Leonard Shelby (Pearce) is on a mission to hunt down the man that he believes raped and murdered his wife-however, there is one prominent dilemma, Leonard suffers from a rare case of Anterograde Memory Disorder (AMD), also known as 'short-term memory loss'. He administers this issue by using notes and tattoos to hunt down the man he only knows as 'John G'. While he is receiving help from his companions; Teddy (Pantoliano) and Natalie (Moss) he begins to believe that one of them is using his mental disability to manipulate and work against him. The film brings up questions in Leonard's personal mind; who can be trusted? Who cannot be? He dearly loves and misses his wife and time heals all wounds, but how is one supposed to heal if they can't feel time?

"Memento" sends the viewer on an emotional but dark journey through one man's adoration for a woman and its striking originality with a different plot setting than ever seen before make it without a doubt the greatest Indie Film of all time.

10/10.

Good

Author: Kuba_D from Poland
13 April 2007

End the from begins that thriller dark a. If you have problems with understanding the previous sentence, you are going to have even more trouble with understanding the film. Its basic idea is turning the action around. Not in a mechanical way, fortunately. "Memento" is a pack of scenes that end in the moment the previous scenes started in.

The main character is an ex-detective from an insurance company (Guy Pearce). His wife, as everything seems so, has been brutally raped and murdered while he himself was hit in his head. The effect of damage is the so-called short memory loss. Our hero remembers exactly who he was before that tragical incident, but he doesn't remember who he talked to and what about five minutes ago. That is why he has to write everything down. He collects Polaroid pictures of the people he meets. He fills his pockets with some quick notes. He even treats his own body as a big organizer and he tattoos his chest with the main memorized clue: "John G. murdered your wife".

This film has its own style and class. The idea itself about a guy who doesn't remember his experiences from a second ago is great. The "reverse gear" narration used here seems to be both logical and functional solution. Sometimes it is quite funny. For example, when the character doesn't know whether he chases someone or he is being chased.

I feel sorry for myself

Author: Dutch_Psycho from Weert, Netherlands
9 November 2002

When my sister and I were out to rent a video, she suggested Memento. I refused saying: "Nee, niks aan", which could be translated as: No, it sounds boring. And now I regret my words. When she bought it(I looked it anyway because it wouldn't be a waste of MY money), the first scene alone was enough to catch my attention, as soon as I watched it too. I watched the entire film with open eyes, even though it was very late. I loved the film. In fact, it's my favorite movie ever! So I asked my sister every day if I could see it again and now, I bought it from her. I watch it at least one time every week and it never gets boring. The story is great, the acting is superb and the whole backwards-thing really gives you the idea that you have short-term memory-loss yourself. I recommend it to everyone. NEVER DOUBT A MOVIE, like I did.......

an enigma wrapped in a conundrum, wrapped in a paradox

Author: hotspur95 from Scotland
3 September 2002

SPOILERS AHOY!

Hehe, after seeing this film i did what everyone else did and tried and figured it all out :)

But I kinda agree with what one guy said was that it isn't really meant to be figured out. You are meant to form your own conclusions, and that is exactly what the director was trying to point out, that there is no real truth, just a mixture of preceptions and memories. OK, fair enough ! SO there are alot of images thrown about to make you think one thing then another, and enough evidence given to suggest quite alot of different things. Did he kill his wife? Was Sammy a projection of himself? Did Teddy deserve to die? etc etc

I'm going to close the lid on this for myself right now anyway, by saying that its just one of those things that you are not meant to figure out. You are not given enough evidence to form a conclusion, especially as alot of the film is seen through the eyes of someone with a severe mental condition and thus unreliable. In Scotland we have a verdict between guilty and not-guilty, known as 'that bastard verdict', 'Not Proven', and I'll have to leave it at that. Having read alot of Philip K Dick I do like this sort mind twister stuff, but as I said, I don't think the director wants you to be able to figure it out, so that people can have something to argue about in the pub! :P

Mind bending

Author: mbanwait from toronto
2 September 2002

This movie will definitely turn your world upside down. Hard to follow at first, but after about 10 minutes you get used to the story running backwards. It is a crime that this movie did not get many more Oscar nominations including one for Guy Pearce. But I am sure this film will not be forgotten in the years to come similar to other movies such as Fight Club and The Insider. Truly need to watch this movie more than once to enjoy it!

Memento, my favorite movie

Author: evan mathews (belingquish3000@hotmail.com) from Evansville Indiana
23 August 2002

This has to be my favorite movie of all time. It's a lot like Pulp Fiction, where the director's way of showing the film is magnificent.

Spoilers!...

The way the movie is told back to front is genius. I didnt get it the first time, i thought it was just to be creative. But it drops you into the movie as a person without memory, so you dont know what just happened, so your confusion adds to the movie. You gradually piece everything together, and at the end/beggining, the climax makes you think. This should have gotten multiple Oscar nominations, not just one. However if I were to nominate this only once, it would have been for best screeenplay. It also should have been nominated for best actor, best picture, and best set direction. The way everything is in a bland, any town usa, setting is done brilliantly.

I first rented this movie for 5 days. After I saw it, I set a personal record by watching it 4 3/4 times over this period.

SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!