IMDb > Memento (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Memento

Memento More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 209: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]
Index 2090 reviews in total

great idea, bad ending

Author: (spam1@sonous.com) from Southern Cali
22 September 2002

Don't get me wrong, the idea for how the story was told was a great one. All the characters did a great job, and all the actual filmmaking was great.

There was one problem: THE WHOLE MOVIE WAS A LIE!

Most murder mysteries involve a twisty plot, wherein there is an uncovering of the truth that the viewer didn't yet put together - but COULD have! Memento didn't have that. At the end, where you usually get the answer to how this all works, you find out that the main character has been lied to himself all along. Given his condition, there was no way to determine that, or sleuth it out from the details given previously.

In effect, the makers of this film seemed to put 100% of their energy into a really great concept, and put zero effort into actually making this into a murder mystery. They effectively pulled the alibi, and the final plot out of thin air!

Watch the film, it's really not that bad, and it's entertaining until the end, but at the end, don't say I didn't warn you!

Clever But Tedious.

Author: Cheetah-6 from Maui
27 July 2002

Maybe this film is, as others have stated, trying to give us the experience of being Leonard rather than just observing him, so we end up being just as confused and frustrated as he is, for that I can give it allot of credit, I know of no other film that attempts to give you the experience of the main character in such a literal way, but this of itself does not make a great movie. Solving an involved math equation might be a better time. There has to be some character development, these characters never become interesting and the motivation of the main character for revenge seems shallow and becomes boring quickly. Everything seems to ride on weather Teddy is telling the truth or not. This is never reveled and so everything is open to speculation. Probably one of the best films ever concocted for the purpose of discussing endlessly afterward and for multiple viewing. A plot that you care about would help allot here. I could appreciate the cleverness of it all if the story was more of a hook. Leonard thinks revenge will give him peace? Even though he'll never remember it? All he remembers is his life up to "the event" but is able to remember he has short term memory loss? It seems this film is trying too hard to be something "original" and "creative" and comes of more like an exam puzzle and is seriously lacking a soul.

Greatest most original film I've ever seen.......

Author: bournerdan@hotmail.com from UK
13 July 2002

When I went to see this film in London it was purely by chance. I'd heard it was good but I had no idea it would be anyway near as good as it was. It truly blew me away completely and utterly. It is without doubt the cleverest most intelligent film you'll ever clap your little beadies on. The whole thing runs backwards to go in sink with leonard's inability to store memories and it all slowly fits into place as we watch leonard stumble around in a desperate attempt to pinpoint who offed his wife. There are twists and turns and those less blessed in the intelligence stakes may never truly understand what they have watched. But trust me, This is a belter, well worthy of all the acclaim and to say that Guy Pearce is brilliant as Leonard is to state the obvious. This is up there with the greats and if you haven't seen it, do one of two things, but preferably make sure you sort it out man......

I simply did not understand this movie

Author: joseayarza from Torreon, Mexico
12 July 2002

OK, so the movie ended and I began to try to put the pieces together and solve the puzzle... but no, I just couldn't. Who where those people, how did Leonard meet them, how are they involved in the murder? I didn't understand that. Perhaps I would need to watch it again, but I don't know if I could bear it.

Unbelievably Memorable and Remarkable

Author: dreminemike@hotmail.com from Miami, Florida
11 July 2002

To begin with, I must say that this movie has shown me how editing and directing in a film is essential in order for the chemistry of the film to equate to something as superior as the director had first envisioned the film. Memento seems to excel in this category and in many more, which is a very hard task for many moviemakers that seem to have the overall knowledge at accomplishing this feat, but rather fall out of line and fail when trying.

I have gone many times to the local rental store for obvious reasons, and I occassionally stroll around the store to scope out both old and new releases that have the ability to quench my desire that I have, which is to watch an entertaining and well-balanced movie. All the times that I done this, I get disturbed at the site of seeing all the copies of Memento that the store has to offer right in front of me, unrented, unwanted. But I have concluded the one real reason to this very degrading sight: The general public's taste in movies has, over the years, become very sour to the point that they seem to watch the same movies, with slight plot differences, over and over again, and, on top of that, they seem to enjoy it. This view somewhat disrupts the mind of those that see beyond the normal films to the point of going to desperate measures. That is the real reason many people haven't watched this outstanding film.

This film seems to bend the rules of normality; it seems to throw away the standard of a movie progressing forward in time. The entire movie is displayed going back. For example, lets assume a movie has 30 scenes. Lets also assume that this film begins in scene 30 and progresses forward until the end of the film. Once it gets to the end of the film, it backtracks to scene 29, and from then plays normally until the beginning of scene 30, which is its cue to enter a plot outside of the story, which truthfully is the actual beginning of the movie being played forward each time the film backtracks to a previous scene. This is done so perfectly that at the actual end of the film, these two stories seem to intertwine and create a chilling, stunning, and surprising finale, which will make you want to watch the movie again.

As I have pointed out, hopefully with this critique of a very satisfying movie, the general public will dispose of the taste they have acquired and indulge itself to watching quality movies made by quality film-makers. Do yourself a favor and rent or buy this film. You'll thank me, I'm sure of that.

excellent

Author: naderbasha1 from NY, NY
5 July 2002

this is an excellent mind boggling movie that realy needs someone with a brain to understand. the plot is new , The acting is excellent and the screenplay is just amazing. this is a must see flick.

disappointing

Author: SDSTEWA
13 April 2002

Highly recommended (IMDB's #10) and Oscar-nominated, I found Memento a disappointment. Unique "flashback in installments" structure became annoying after a while. Characters, including Pierce, had no real redeeming features. I felt sorry for Pierce and his "condition," but his ultimate lack of nobility or any nice-guy appeal made it hard to really care. (Compare to his and Russell Crowe's characters in "L.A. Confidential.") Left me wishing for more substance and less style. 5/10

Great movie that requires some thinking

Author: isotope2112 from Detroit
12 April 2002

I thought Memento was a wonderful, thought-provoking movie. The end-to-beginning storytelling style was very interesting, though it was a challenge to get used to it. After the first half hour it starts to make sense though. Still, it is not a movie you can just passively watch; it does take some effort on the part of the viewer to understand what is happening.

Some have criticized this film as having glaring plot holes. I disagree. Leonard's problem is not what it seems and the answers to many of these "plot holes" are right there in the film. Watching this film once is not enough. Much like "Sixth Sense", the true enjoyment is in watching it again and seeing how all the pieces fall into place.

Well worth a viewing 8/10.

Boring

Author: Nick-273 from UK
2 March 2002

Boring. The central device to this film - playing the film 'backwards' is intrusive to the story telling. I didn't care about the central character(s), so I have stopped watching the film, about half way through, I guess. I may watch the rest tomorrow, but I doubt it.

Living someone else's private nightmare!?!?

Author: Allan from Edmonton, Canada
13 February 2002

The premise of this movie is based on someones' lost memory. And from that, the viewer must find intrigue. Well this viewer didn't. A fine idea mind you. But the path in which it takes to give the answers( which the viewer doesn't even get an answer to in the end ), is somewhat vacant, and leaving the person watching in a state of emptiness, as if not completely satisfied. Now I've had this before with other movies, and I'm not that naive not to know the difference. This pic' just didn't carry the punch. The characters were fine, Pearce, especially. But the plot out line just didn't have all that it needs, to come out leaving you with a real feeling about this.