IMDb > Leprechaun in the Hood (2000) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

An important movie

Author: Bill from New Jersey, USA
6 November 2003

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** It has been said the good movies are merely entertaining, whereas great ones alter the way we think and feel about things. Leprechaun 'N the Hood is a great movie. Writer Doug Hall had a message he wanted to convey, and thankfully he came into contact with a director the caliber of Rob Spera to help him bring it to the masses. Spera was able to relay Hall's vision in a manner that was both entertaining and touching. The reason this film resonates with the audience is due to the characters and how they develop throughout the story. The plot revolves three aspiring rappers and their dreams of fame and fortune as their ambition leads them down a road of pain and despair. As part of their Machiavellian plot for stardom, they are reduced to robbing a famous rap producer and end up stealing a magic flute that guarantees their success in the rap world. At the same time, they also inadvertently awaken the vile leprechaun. Our first impression is that the leprechaun is an abject and detestable creature, and perhaps he is. By the end of the movie however, the viewer can't help being moved to anything but compassion for him. It isn't so much that the leprechaun evolves during the movie, it is more that the viewer evolves as the story progresses. As Leprechaun 'N the Hood unfolds, we come to accept that the deplorable leprechaun resides within all of us. We realize that everyone has a leprechaun within, it is only a matter of how well we contain it and what events could lead it to manifest itself. It the case of Postmaster P., It is his greed and ambition that unleash the Leprechaun, and we all see the horrific results. Unlike trash such as "It's a Wonderful Life" this movie will have a profound effect on viewers because the characters are realistic. They have real faults and weaknesses, and we can truly learn about others and ourselves by understanding them. This is a movie ideal for parents should watch with their children and then discuss afterwards. From the opening scene to the heart wrenching conclusion in which the leprechaun explains his plight in a poignant rap of his own, this movie will change the way you look at yourself and those around you. As the leprechaun explains in his song "I hate to resort so soon to magic, I haven't been la!d in so long it's tragic." Tragic indeed.

10 reasons this is the best budget buy ever......

Author: mightypekingman from United Kingdom
16 January 2006

10 reasons you must see this film.

1. You get to see a leprechaun rap. 2. this film contains zombie ho's 3. the actors take themselves seriously 4. Every now and then every one decides to start rapping. 5. every other word is mother f*ck 6. It works on the level of a 'gansta' drama....then you realise there 'homie' was killed by a leprechaun rather than in a drive by. 7. that leprechaun got some major gold. 8. the leprechaun has sex.....with a transvestite. 9. they defeat him by having him smoke a four leaf clover. 10. I like waffles.

If you don't want to see it now then you must be crazy. Its the best movie i ever brought from behind the shelve at a garage.

I Wants Me Money Back!

Author: Rusty-61 from United States
7 July 2000

OK, it wasn't that bad, I just really wanted to get to use that line for once (my friend who went to see Lep 1 in the theater yelled it out during the movie and got a standing ovation).

My same friend also made a good point about watching the Lep series in general: you know exactly what you're getting up front. It's not like after the movie you're going to say to yourself, surprised, "well, THAT was a total piece of sh--". You can't really be mad at yourself. It's not like going to see, say, Play It To the Bone or 8 Heads in a Duffle Bag where you think you might actually laugh once or twice at something or enjoy the movie at some points, but end up wanting to punch everyone involved in the face (even Joe Pesci). no-one tricked you into it.

Anyway, this one was better than part 4 (In Space), but of course that's not saying much. The best one of the series (I can't believe I'm saying that-I should say "the least painful to sit through" instead) was the one set in Vegas. This one I rented mainly because I heard it was mildly amusing, better than part 4, but mainly I wanted to see Ice-T in a 70's pimp outfit with a big 'fro. I think the whole budget went towards paying his salary and they didn't have much left over for costumes, special effects, sets, etc. Oh well, still beats The Haunting.

This one had at least some entertainment value because it didn't take itself too seriously. A couple of things happened I didn't expect. Of course, couple things also happened that I didn't WANT to happen but had a horrible premonition that they were going to, such as the Leprechaun smoking a blunt and rapping (though not at the same time, Thank God). They were a few times I was surprised to burst out laughing at stuff that I think was supposed to intentionally be funny. There was one particularly funny moment when the heroes are hiding from the Leprechaun that was worth the money I paid to rent it, because it was exactly like a scene from Scooby-Doo (in fact, I think it WAS a scene they stole from Scooby-Doo, but at least they stole from something amusing). I thought at first it was just because I had the flu at the time I watched it and had lots of Nyquil, but then my husband laughed at it too. There's another scene where two characters are having a very serious discussion about how to go after the Lep -- this is after a tragic event occurs, so I figured the movie was going to stop trying to be funny-- and you see that one of them is holding "Leprechauns For Dummies". For some reason (maybe this time it was the Nyquil) that also struck me as pretty amusing.

I bet Spike Lee would be really offended by this movie. For instance, you could easily have a Leprechaun 5: In the Hood Drinking Game with your friends (hey, you could use Nyquil! It's even green) during the movie just by drinking every time a character says, "a'ight", "yo", "homie", or "that sh*t is WACKED, man!". So, while on the negative side, we have the fact that the movie is completely stupid and mindless, with little gore, and really cheap production values, we do have the positives of a few good laughs and the fact that it would pi$$ off Spike Lee. I've seen a lot of horror movies WAY worse and more insulting to viewer's intelligence, so I didn't really want my money back after I rented it.

Could be the worst Leprechaun

Author: FilmFanInTheHouse from Berkshire, England
28 June 2009

Leprechaun in the Hood

directed by

Rob Spera

Another weak entry into the series. The script is terrible and unless you are the kind of audience for the type of gangster hip-hop story lines, they you won't think much of the characters. They just become typical stereotypes and become most annoying than anything, although Ice-T does pull off a fair performance. Unfortunately, this is Davis' weakest turn as the Leprechaun, which is supposed to be the driving force behind the film. The end result makes possibly the worst Leprechaun film.

Leprechaun in da ghetto, everybody!

Author: departed07 from United States
27 May 2008

Why? WHY? WHY??!!! First of all, why do they keep making these movies? The first two movies were okay with me but going to Vegas and being in space, get the hell out of here. In the first three movies, the leprechaun chased only white people in the country side (Leprechaun) for a pot of gold; for a bride in California (Leprechaun 2), and more gold in Vegas (Leprechaun 3). I couldn't stand to see Leprechaun 4 in Space where even Debbe Dunning of Home Improvement couldn't get me to watch that piece of crap. Now the Leprechaun's back in Los Angeles in the ghetto side where a bunch of rapper wannabe's get in the little green guy's way while he's doing justice to those that get in his way regardless if they're good or bad.

The only noticeable person was Ice-T as a greedy executive while Warwick Davis probably needed the money to play the green guy again.

Skip this movie!

Worst. Movie. EVER!

Author: Rachel from New York
28 April 2002

My friends and I rented this movie thinking it might be fun to laugh at a bad movie...but this movie is so bad it's not even laughable. It's, plain and simple, the worst movie ever -- bad acting, bad directing, bad writing, bad everything. I'm ashamed to say I saw it and I think I'll spend the rest of my life purging it from my memory.

What the hell?

Author: Jesse02 from Otsego, Michigan
10 July 2001

First of all, what kind of a reject would even think making a film like this? Just the idea is ridiculous. The film is plagued by bad acting and has surprisingly little humor compared to it's predeccesors. The Leps's punchlines are boring and uncreative. I don't know what the producers were thinking coming out with this piece of trash. Ignore this one and watch the first one instead.

Ice-T proves he couldn't act if his life depended on it.

Author: Devin (d_e_v_i_n-1)
31 March 2005

The Hood, this is a throughly retarded movie from start to finish. It has bad acting, a incredible stupid story and a stupid STUPID, BAD movie. Heres the Summary:

He's been in the country side, he's been downtown, he's been to Las Vegas, he's even been in space, now that evil Leprechaun is in DA HOOD! Three young rap artists are looking for a break. They need money to buy some music equipment so they can go to Las Vegas and enter a contest. They meet up with a local pimp named Mack Daddy who agrees to "hook them up", but later declines. The rappers want to get even with him so one night they break into Mack's place and steal a lot of his jewelry, gold, and even the medallion off an ugly looking statue. Shouldn't have done that! Because without the medallion, the state transforms into the Leprechaun, who goes on a killing spree once again looking for his missing gold, once again! And the song says it all, "there's nothing' scarier than a Lep' in the hood!"

Celtic Poo

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
12 October 2002

Spoilers herein.

This is pure trash. Completely goofy but uncampy production values. Vile racial stereotypes. But you knew that.

But the notion of the devil here is interesting. The Devil is a late invention in Christianity, inherited from east European paganism. But the Irish completely reshaped the catholic church and folded in their own notions. These include guilt, which is another story.

but along the way, their celtic brand of paganism was adopted to fit the new church notions of evil. So nature spirits and imps -- some of them -- became associated with evil. And a very particular type of imp, what we now call the leprechaun, was associated with hoarding greed and selfishness. Mindless action motivated by greed. All this is pretty well understood.

So okay. Along comes a group of filmmakers motivated entirely by mindless greed, in fact motivated by leprechauns. So they trod on our imagination and our sense of stereotypes for a few coins. And guess what the story is about? You got it.

Ted's evaluation: 1 of 4 -- You can find something better to do with this part of your life.

As bad as you'd expect.

Author: Matt-377 from Charlottesville, VA
15 April 2000

Fifth entry in an extremely tired series is slightly better than its most recent predecessor, but that's not saying much.

This entry concerns the leprechaun "in the hood" after his magical flute, stolen by three wannabe rappers.

Horrorible (yes, I said HORRORIBLE) excuse for a film, an attempt at bringing humor into this tripe falls flat; A nonexistent story, gratuitous gore, terrible jokes/wisecracks, and poor acting (with the exception of a strong performance by the typecast Ice T as a gangster and a typically amusing performance by the equally typecast Davis as the diminutive demon) lowlight (certainly not highlight) this rubbish. The leprechaun attempting to sing a rap song at the end is the nadir.

* out of ****.