IMDb > "Nuremberg" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Nuremberg"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Nuremberg" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Brian Cox Shows why he's the soul in this Masterpiece

Author: vivian_baum_cabral from Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
2 February 2003

I've seen this masterpiece and I could not believe it has been produced by a Tv Network.Everythings,from the costumes to the actings is brilliant and could win an Oscar if produced for theaters.That film proves a little theory from mine:every film has a body and a soul.The body is that very known actor that usually produce the film and gives to himself the best lines and scenes.The soul is that actor that you usually does not remenber the name or you never seen,that actor that with the strengh of his perfomance still every scene he's in.The body of "Nuremberg"is Alec Baldwin.His soul is Brian Cox.Robert Jackson is a man obsessed with justice,but poor Alec does not have experience enough to make people believe that.Hermann Goering is a man you're supossed to hate but everything is forgotten.Brian Cox gives so much life and talent in his perfomance that even if you already know what happens (Hermann Goering will surely died)you still feels much pleasure in seen Robert Jackson transformed in a little toy in Hermann's skillful hands.My favorite scene in this modern classic is the more simple and also the must difficult for me to see:Brian Cox alone in his cell staring the bars in the window and singing a beautiful german song while the camera fixes in his dazzlings blue eyes.I was in tears at the end of this.Hermann Goering was a nazi leader,yes he killed a lot of people but when you see Brian cox in this film,you'll forgive everything.Thank you Brian,for teach us how a wonderful actor can be,when given a great part like this

Wow!! A movie that needed to made with a cast such as this!!

Author: Bryan from Greensboro, North Carolina
26 August 2002

I saw this movie when it premiered on TNT and was riveted. I am a guy whose ancestry is Swedish Protestant and Hungarian Jewish (what Hitler would call Mischlinge), so I would have been gassed by the people depicted in this film. I have always been brought up thinking that Nazis deserved nothing but death and that they were evil beings. But this movie shows the family life of these men, which I thought was interesting. After seeing this movie I read Persico's book that it is based on and came to the conclusion that as long as Persico's book is accurate, then the movie is accurate as well. I found myself thinking beyond "All Nazis must die" when I watched this movie. I still think that Goering, Streicher, Hess, Hoess, Kaltenbrunner, Seyss-Inquart (who was in charge of Holland and responsible for the death of Anne Frank) deserved what they got. But if the movie and the book portray Fritz Sauckel, Albert Speer, and Hans Frank correctly, then I would say that Speer deserved the rope but Frank and Sauckel didn't. I liked how the film showed the friendship of Goering and Tex Wheelis, and I honestly believe that Tex helped Goering kill himself. Good movie overall, and that's why I have it on DVD

Pretty Great...

Author: Clever Jones from Montreal
16 March 2001

Yes, it may be long. Yes, it may be a tad boring, but for most of this film, I was completely enthralled. The acting, in addition to set design and direction were superb. Every single actor brings a lot originality and charisma to their respective roles. Brian Cox is astounding as the villain, so much so, that you miss him when he's offscreen.

Because this is "court movie", you have to enjoy the parameters that the director sets. With much of the film talking place inside one room, it's somewhat hard to really get a feel for what's going on elsewhere. Nevertheless, being in the courtroom the whole time gives a very closed-up feeling that doesn't allow the viewer to turn away.

All in all, this is very good miniseries, and while there are flaws that sometimes hurt the story, by the end, all is forgotten. Educational, thought-provoking and real.

Compelling subject, powerful drama.

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
28 January 2001

The Nuremberg trials were of such monumental historical importance and so complex as to make their dramatization in a two hour film a daunting task. Nonetheless, the film makers did a good job of abbreviating the history of the trials, touching on major benchmarks, examining many of the moral questions, regurgitating the horrors of the holocaust, and featuring key characters. While not a great film, "Nuremberg" is a worthy effort, a good history lesson for young people, and an interesting watch for all. Kudos to Cox for a superb portrayal of Hermann Göring.

Response

Author: dgsweet from NY
15 December 2000

Some of the other comments suggest that this is a remake of JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG. It is not. JUDGMENT was fiction. The characters were the creation of the writer. A good piece of work, yes. But not a representation of the facts of the major first trial. (In fact, JUDGMENT is clearly set up as one of the subsequent trials.)

NUREMBERG, on the other hand, is a dramatization of the real, first trial, and the characters (with some exceptions) are named after the real people and much of the dialogue is taken from the record.

Those who complain about the Nazis being drawn three-dimensionally miss the point -- it is too easy to view Nazis as a vicious breed apart. What is disturbing is that, in recognizing those aspects of these people we share, we recognize that we, too, under certain circumstances, have the capacity for evil. Recognizing this possibility keeps us alert so that we have better defenses against slipping over the line.

I have to credit the scope, accuracy and impact

Author: spteos from Houston, TX
16 August 2000

When I saw Alec Baldwin was behind this project, I have to confess I had some doubts as to what to expect. Having seen and reflected on "Nuremberg", I have to credit the scope, accuracy and impact of the presentation. The first hour -- leading up the trial -- was fast-paced, gripping and certain to draw the viewer into the full four hours. The trial, it seemed to me, bogged down the endeavor, but maybe this is just the reality of trials.

Two points detracted from the overall effectiveness of the show: The producers' decision to put a romantic element into the script, and Baldwin's acting performance. To me, he came off as pristine, above the fray, holier-than-thou and so subdued in spots as to get lost. This style worked OK in some scenes, but in others key dialogue and the impact of the lead character were overshadowed by the support players.

Most of the support was superior; Brian Cox as Goehring ought to get an Emmy and Matt Craven as the psychologist was just a half-step behind. I found the characterizations of the Nazi criminals much more realistic than the depictions of parallel characters in 1961's "Judgment at Nuremberg". Overall, this was an effective and important show. The direction and casting were superior, the script was on target and the look and feel worked. A more abrupt ending might have helped such a jolting piece of history.

A solid history lesson

Author: drg6024 from Dallas, Texas
1 August 2000

"Nuremberg" is a faithful dramatization of the Nuremberg war crimes trial of 1945-46. The cast is strong, although Alec Baldwin's portrayal of the chief prosecutor often lacks the passion that is needed. Brian Cox gives a superb performance in the role of Goering. In all, it is a solid history lesson that should be repeated often to future generations.

A very good story

Author: (jagdhund99@aol.com) from Texas
30 July 2000

I just watched this movie and for people that believe that the Nazis got what was comming to them is wrong. It was war. Soldiers did follow orders. I saw this sad tale of a trial, putting German Soldiers on trial for crimes against humanity but I was curious as why the Allied Powers were never brought to justice for the devestation of non militarily important cities in Germany. War crimes were committed on both sides. Germany wasnt the only power that had blood on her hands. The United States and Soviet Union were guilty of crimes as well and no one was even brought to justice. Otherwise, the film is excellent. I suggest you see it.

Passably done w/room for improvement

Author: Radius-3 (sark314@hotmail.com) from Davenport, IA
29 July 2000

The main criticism I have about this series is that, to me, it seemed shallowly executed. I'm not referring to any air of "Nazi sympathy" that I've heard ascribed to it, but rather a lax, uninspiring attitude toward the drama of the trial and its participants. As I watched the courtroom proceedings, I realized that I could easily be watching a "Law & Order" special if the subject matter and defendants were different. With the exception of the German march and Mozart's Requiem (I'll return to the latter in a bit) the soundtrack seemed far too lighthearted, employing forgettable elements (such as long, ominous string notes) that one could hear in any courtroom drama. And perhaps this wasn't the composer's intention, but for me, the soundtrack gave the miniseries the appearance of trying to *tone down* the Nuremberg trials, attempting to render them ordinary when they were a wholly unique event. Wisdom fortunately prevailed during the scenes of the testimony of Auschwitz commandant Rudolf Hoess (which, by the way, contained some superb camera work), and the showing of the concentration camp footage. The absence of any hokey background music in either is critical to their being two of the most effective sections of the series. The final hangings, in contrast, easily constituted the worst part. Mozart's Requiem Mass was an entirely inappropriate choice. It is a masterpiece of gravity and elegance rendered cheesy by the incompatible scenes it is pushed together with. The hangings, shown in rapid succession (another mistake), are combined with the Requiem's slow first movement to produce a confounding, undesirable effect. Moreover, the Requiem was a self-described mass of *death*, not a mass of justice (for lack of a better term), and justice was what the Allies intended to deliver. I'm not suggesting that some other music would have been preferable - I think silence was still the best alternative, like in so many other scenes. The Nuremberg trials and the subsequent executions were conducted in reality without the levity of music, and the series should largely have refrained from including it, if it wanted to keep its dignity.

Important and well-done

Author: Michael Dyckman from Forest Hills, New York, USA
27 July 2000

The horrors of the Holocaust are revisited in this fine made-for-cable movie. Alec Baldwin stars as Justice Robert Jackson, the lead prosecutor of Nazi war criminals at Nuremberg. The fine cast includes Jill Hennessy (Law & Order), Christopher Plummer, and Max Von Sydow, but the English actor shines brightest as Hermann Goering. Cox portrays Goering as a devoted office of the Reich who was simply following Hitler's orders. There are several chilling scenes between Goering and the military officer assigned to protect him, where the officer begins to sympathy for his prisoner. All in all, an important and moving film.

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]