IMDb > "Celebrity Deathmatch" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Celebrity Deathmatch"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Celebrity Deathmatch" More at IMDbPro »

Movie stars, TV stars, and rock stars make each other see stars...

Author: Monkasi (c3lornehop@aol.com) from Orange County, California
15 April 2002

Part WWF freak show, part celebrity roast, and 100 percent outrageous satire, "Celebrity Deathmatch" is one of the best ideas for a novelty TV show to come out in years. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing snobbish starlets, overhyped matinee idols, and self-aggrandizing mega-entertainers maim each other and humiliate themselves in front of the entire world (as clay facsimiles, of course).

But despite all the schadenfreude, it's all in good fun. Fictional hosts Johnny Gomez and Nick Diamond provide a hilarious running commentary on the grisly goings-on with nonstop puns, quips, and zingers at the unfortunate celebrities' expense. Real-life referee Mills Lane moderates the bouts and sometimes even plays a crucial role in which celebrity will win. And the celebrities themselves (actually impersonated by voiceover artists) have the most fun of all, coming up with ever more creative ways to annihilate each other while making references galore to their own movies, their opponents' movies, and pop culture in general.

"Celebrity Deathmatch" is even more fun to watch if you have a bunch of friends over and you want to do some Vegas-style gambling. Wagering on the outcome of the fights can be fun, but be forewarned: don't always root for the more popular celebrity (for example, Eddie Murphy over Nick Nolte). The playing field is level in these fights, and just about anything goes - so the victor may surprise you. Bet on your personal favorite instead.

"Let's get it on!"

Author: Michael Pilkington (mjpilkington@yahoo.com) from Richmond, CA
14 September 1999

Along with MTV's animated shows, such as Beavis and Butt-head and Daria, this show is equally enjoyable. Much better than the sock duo, Sifl and Olly. It's fun watching celebrity look-alikes beat the crap... uh, clay out of each other. Mills Lane lends his voice to the referee as himself. Before every match he repeats his famous quote, "Let's get it on!" Note to parents: it's only clay, so ignore that TV14 rating and sit back with your kids and watch your favorite celebrities slug it out. My evaluation: B+.

Fun, entertaining, and GORY!!!

Author: jsnyang48
26 February 2002

CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH is full of entertainment. Even though 3 celebrities (the 3 losers) are mocked each week, but still, its done in a fashion that makes the scenes memorable and entertaining (Clay). The best fight in my personal opinion is the one with John Travolta versus Nicholas Cage in the Face/off action. That one was funny, entertaining, and like any other deathmatches, gory. Most of the fights are either very bloody or gory, but they're all presented in comical action. That really is what made the show so great, and I just can't deny it.

let's get it on

Author: ross robinson from england
12 September 2003

I remember when i first watched celebrity deathmatch way back in 1998, i absolutely loved it and i still do, i like the celebrities fighting. I thought that the creation of each celebrity was fantastic to do, i hope that this programme will go on for a long while, like the same with the simpsons

This show will be missed.

Author: Marcus Geebs from United States
24 June 2012

I remember back in the day, I used to watch this show every time it came on. This show is pretty cool because its the only show that you can see celebrity's fight one another. The announcer's had the most of the comedy but the stars had more of the intense violence and it's shocking to see that it's a show only for teenagers for that type of violence it shows. Some episodes however were to live on and some were at least to say to be blown up in smithereens. The battles are really funny, and well written, but there is a few episodes that are actually pretty nasty in certain ways. I remember there was this pattern in the show. Usually, the celebrity that seemed to be winning at first, always ended up as the loser.

The Best Animated Show Ever!! (Spoilers)

Author: GMNL89 from Staten Island, New York
7 March 2004

This show is the best! It's funny as hell and it's full of action! Johnny Gomez and Nick Diamond provide hilarious commentary and Mills Lane is the funniest referee ever!! Then there are soooo many celebrities fighting against each other: Jack Nicholson, Howard Stern, The Olsen Twins, Ray Romano, Ozzy Ozbourne, Ricky Martin, The Three Stooges, Beavis & Butthead, Eddie Murphy, Drew Carey, Kelsey Grammar, Kathy Lee Gifford, Jessica Simpson, Mike Myers, Roseanne, plus many, many more!!! The action fighting styles the celebrities use are cool and hilarious! For example: Howard Stern uses a farting move on Kathy Lee Gifford to kill her, Ray Romano slashes Drew Carey's head and brain out, and Roseanne is killed by having a heart attack, seeing Kelsey Grammar without his skin. It's funny as hell!

If you want to see celebrities die in the comical way, this is for you.

Author: somedudetmb (somedudetmb@hotmail.com) from Wisconsin
17 April 2003

Celebrity Deathmatch is what you could call like professional wrestling, but with a whole lot more blood, decapitations, and laughs with the same thrill of wanting to know who will reign victor in the ring. With over 300 episodes, many of your favorite and lesser known celebrities end up on their claymated deathbed.

This claymation is really a must-see. It's really entertaining to see two celebrities I do not like beat themselves with weapons and their own fists, and occasionally both dying in the ring. Even though it's disappointing to see the better celebrity get killed, I still watch this for the fun of it.

Great Show!

Author: Pat-88
9 August 1999

This is a great show. Celebrities beating the crap out of each other is pretty funny and sometimes entertaining. If you haven't seen this show before, you should check it out. It rocks!

WARNING: This show contains graphic clay violence.

I give this show ***1/2

Awesome show until it was brought back from being canceled.

Author: emt4988 from United States
16 April 2010

Hi everyone this is Jack Red, today I wanted to review one of my child hood shows Celebrity Death Match.

I love this show it had everything you could possibly want I mean you had a funny referee, awesome hosts and even Stone Cold appears on the show.

I still remembered when The Undertaker got into a match on the first Halloween episode they did that was entertaining.

Fandemonium I-IV were great episodes basically you vote on online what matches you wanted to see at the time.

They had Beavis vs. Butt Head of all things and my god that still today my personal favorite match why because I was a fan of theirs as a kid.

Referee Mills Lane in the first four seasons was voiced by the actual person now he at times made the show funny to watch like let's give it up oh I mean let's get it on classic.

Johnny and Nick were two of my favorite hosts of all the shows I shown to date.

Sadly it first got canceled in 2002 with a horrible game released a year after.

Out of no where it came back however instead of MTV it aired on MTV2 like that would make any differences.

To be completely honest I hate this version of the show sure it was two seasons lasted eight episodes each but come on what happen to the show I loved.

As bad as that game was I would rather play it then to watch this version ever again yes it is that bad.

Referee Mills Lane wasn't funny, Nick was made to look more like an idiot rather than being one at times where it's funny.

Of course I got to bring up Johnny sadly they were close with him but how could they screwed up on his hair color.

This version is supposed to be bloodier yet most of the matches suck really bad especially compared to the classic version which barely had a bad match up.

They even reused an idea used in the old one where the hosts fight each other but it never happen.

I like the original take on that idea which involves a time machine while the others involves Don Vito eating Tony Hawks which was pretty stupid.

I prefer the original clay used on the classic rather than the newer one which was lucky to make some celebrities that appeared on both closer to the actual person.

They remade Shaquille O'Neal vs. Kobe Bryant that was a good match into a match that's actually worst than Big Foot's match with Loch Ness Monster.

Everyone can agree that the most popular match of the show was Spice Girls vs. Hansons mainly because how it ended.

They did bring back the voting however it sucks especially with a match so stupid that being high seems like a good option I'm talking about Ashley Simpson versus her old nose what how can you make that a match.

Sadly it was a match with a vote from me because how poorly the options were on it.

I thought at first it would be like Nicolas Cage versus John Travolta match where they had each other's faces as well as theirs butts but nope that wasn't happening.

It was Ashley Simpson against a giant talking nose now how high do you have to believe to make that a match.

They also did an episode of Comedy though not as good as the ones done by Eric Fogel the creator of the show.

Oh that's right I haven't said the single worst thing about the new version of Celebrity Death Match yet that guy wasn't involved that's right why do you think it stinks so bad.

I thought they were bring in many more celebrities in the new one but most of them already had been on the show it's like there wasn't any creative involved.

They didn't do a single holiday episode which sucks because for those who remember the 4th of July episode that was awesome.

Rodney Dangerfield was in a match while he was still alive and in the new one they used the time machine to bring him back to fight since he's dead now.

R.I.P. Rodney Dangerfield I remembered from the original it had Marv Alberts who was on there very briefly then Stacy Cornbred who died on the show then finally Debbie Matenopoulos who was okay but not as good as Stacy.

Tally Wong was Debbie's permanent replacement that wasn't entertaining at all I mean even Marv Alberts was better now that's saying awtifully a lot right there.

Every now and then she says to Johnny oh what are you going to do bring back Stacy Cornbred what who honestly thinks that's funny because I sure don't I think it's pointless, stupid and a waste of my time.

In conclusion I can watch the first four seasons without any problems however avoid the last two seasons at all costs or you will regret it for the rest of your life.

"Good Fight, Good Night."

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
4 January 2003

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Ever wonder what it would be like if your favorite celebrities battled to the death with one another? One on one and one of them would encounter a cruel and unusual death. No point in wondering any longer because such a show exists! "Celebrity Deathmatch", hosted by commentators Johnny Gomez and Nick Diamond. The referee is Mills Lane and Stone Cold Steve Austin often drops by. Every celebrity in the business battle one another, like Mariah Carey, Rosie O'Donnell, Dolly Pardon, Jim Carrey, Robert De Niro, The Backstreet Boys, N*SYNC, Joe Pesci, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Michael Jackson, Al Gore, Bill Clinton, the cast of Survivor, even Beavis and Butt-head! I loved that episode. Fans would go on the Internet and cast votes for which celebrities they would like to see fight to the death and Beavis and Butt-head went one on one in animated form but then got blown up into 3-D clay form. Beavis changed into the Great Cornholio and shredded Butt-head to pieces which he used as "T.P. for his bunghole". Even dead celebrities fought, like Ernest Hemingway, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Alfred Hitchcock, even the Three Stooges!! I wonder what it would be like if Johnny and Nick went one on one. If they did, Johnny would win because whenever he and Nick have little spats in the commentator box, Johnny get's the better of Nick, but maybe Nick would win because he triumphed over that alien dude that one time. Mills Lane once fought Judge Judy. How come Johnny Gomez never got in the ring with anyone? Maybe someday; I'll bet you never thought claymation could be this violent. The celebrities die in all sorts of ways: decapitation, disemboweling, beheading, arms, legs and head torn off, shredded to pieces, chopped to pieces, explosions, implosions, disintegrations, discombobulations, alienations, what have you! I hear they're making a Celebrity Deathmatch movie. That might be cool, but until it comes out, tune in to an episode of CD! That's so cool how they make those clay figures look exactly like the celebrities! It is a talent to be able to do that! I'm not sure if Celebrity Deathmatch is still on TV, but if it is, tune in!