IMDb > Janet: The Velvet Rope (1998) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Janet: The Velvet Rope (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Final Verdict: 7 out of 10

Author: ray.cooper from Cologne, Germany
14 June 2000

Visually stunning, brilliantly choreographed, special-effects-filled, stylish, hugely entertaining and very stimulating concert show spectacle with Janet Jackson, probably the most talented and sexiest female performer ever to hit the charts, in excellent shape. Her terrific co-dancers and the huge stage are all perfectly concentrated on the astonishing Janet, who, already stepped out of the huge shadow of her older brother Michael, has not only a terrific, soulful voice, but is also strikingly beautiful and overwhelmingly attractive. Though it still seems like she's imitating the dance routine and mimicry of her brother, she has established herself as a unique performer, whose "Rope Burn" performance will not only drive any male mad, but also will make concert show history. With this one she ranks among the best.

A Musical Great At Work

Author: Tracy Ross (treboogie) from United States
5 January 2005

Janet Jackson is at her best for the "The Velvet Rope" concert. Being that a few months prior while recording the album, she was suffering with what many of us have experienced before: Depression. Janet puts her all into this project and it shows in her LP and the concert. I had the opportunity to see this concert live as well as on DVD. I have to say that both experiences were amazing. I have SO many favorite parts of the show that is hard to name them all but I really enjoyed her performance of "What About" which is a song that speaks mainly about domestic violence. I found that performance well thought out and choreographed perfectly. It was also very touching. Janet is one of the most talented performers there is in the world and no one can duplicate her.

Stunning!

Author: Darren Burn (dazburn@aol.com) from Winchester, England
30 September 1999

This is absolutely amazing. It is Janet's best ever tour and it is on video. Wow, light, camera, dance, sound and vibe all rolled into one. WATCH AND BUY THIS NOW

a slow start good middle section slow end

Author: joltjohn from Winnipeg, Canada
22 December 2002

As captured during this Madison Square Garden presentation of her Velvet Rope tour this lavish two-hour concert special, originally produced for HBO, offers ample proof of Janet Jackson's fierce ambitions. Whitney, Celine, and Mariah can run circles around her small, sweet voice, but Janet brings a tough, muscular power to her live performances that none of those peers can approach, storming through myriad set and costume changes, and sustaining an aerobic pace through elaborate dance routines. .. This is a spectacular production of lights, dance, energy, and of course Janet's total control of the stage. Janet brings her distinctive vocals, sweet melodies and harder-edged dance rhythms to these songs: Velvet Rope, If, You, Let's Wait Awhile/Again, Control medley: Control/The Pleasure Principle/What Have You Done For Me Lately/Nasty/Throb, Escapade medley: Escapade/When I Think of You/Miss You Much/Runaway/Love Will Never Do [Without You], Alright, I Get Lonely, Anytime Anyplace, Rope Burn, Black Cat, What About, Rhythm Nation, Special, That's the Way Love Goes, Got 'Til It's Gone, Go Deep, Together Again. This show also has Jackson's own flavor of soft-core erotica(the "Rope Burn" sequence, in which an ecstatic male fan is lashed to a chair and gets to watch his favorite sex object pole-dance). and she fronts a formidable battalion of dancers, singers, and musicians to make her points. While it's obvious that the musical performances have been nipped, tucked, and polished to an acceptable sheen, Janet earns her props through sheer willpower. . However as I think Janet Jackson has alot of Energy on stage but I found this show was Borderline on Good&Badl ( i didn't get into the concert until the Jester segment started and it lost me during the final part which started with the song SPECIAL). I Applaud the Energy and Drive She has but Her Vocals don't Hold up for long and Certain Songs work while others don't. Janet's performance was glitzy... but sadly something was missing that final sparkle, ...my advice is puchase Janet's later DVDS... 7/10