IMDb > Final Fantasy VII (1997) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fainaru Fantajî VII

Final Fantasy VII (VG) More at IMDbPro »Fainaru Fantajî VII (original title)

Page 10 of 12: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

The last comment is way off...

Author: below_freezing00 from US
5 May 2004

I don't know how he played the game and missed so much information. He must have had many other things going on at once, or hes a person who reads too fast to understand anything. But throughout the game IF you pay attention, everyone of your wrongs are explained of why and how. This game is one of the most captivating RPGs to ever grace my eyes. Graphics were fine, especially for a game that was 3 disc long anyways, to do them any better would have took many more disc and MUCH more time. That equals screen lag, more disc swapping, and more useless things no one wants. They were also a lot better than most of the other top contenders for best RPG(i.e. Lunar, Breath Of Fire etc.) And no, the playstation was not capable of much better. The music was terrific and the story line was the best ever. It touched every emotion throughout the game. The person commenting before is just a naysayer. He definitely has very little gaming experience and a lack of understanding for electronics. Just because something can make one small thing look good doesn't mean it can make EVERYTHING on a detailed screen look good. But that said, not every game is for everyone.

My God, this is a gift from something higher than god

Author: lucifer3327 from Kent, England
27 February 2004

Wow.... just wow. this game is holy. no bad word shall be uttered against it otherwise the sinner will have to suffer on the 9th layer of hell.

Gameplay: 10/10

This game is amazing. The materia system is one of the best systems to grace a game. It is excellent. You start off with basic spells like bolt, ice and cure. Then by the end of the first disc you will be using all sorts of specially combos to summon a dragon called bahamut 4 times.

Graphics: 5/10

Sadly dated. But still has some of the most memorable scenes in videogames, i can't say much due to the guidelines but Kalm flashback scene.

Sound: 8/10

No actual speech, which means no bad comments on voice acting. However the music is excellent. The battle music will always get you pumped up for a half hour boss battle.

Story: 10/10

My god i love this. The story is my favorite from any game. The games starts out with a rebel group trying to take down a big company known as Shin-ra and then the story suddenly switches to something far, far more enjoyable.

Characters: 10/10 One word to describe each character: Cloud: emotional Barret: swearing Tifa: breasts Aeris: flowers Red XIII: doggy Cait Sith: DEI (anagram) Yuffie: Ninja Cid: Cool Vincent: goth

and last but not least

Sephiroth: Kalm

The best Final Fantasy game ever!

Author: magzimillian from USA
25 December 2003

I give this game a 10 out of 10, it has a great storyline, a great villain and its not all romantic as all the other games, its a must-have game! The graphics aren't that great but it doesn't change anything of it, congrats!

Final Sci-Fi I

Author: travisimo from Pocatello, Idaho, USA
12 December 2003

When it comes to any Final Fantasy game, you know you're going to get a great story. Final Fantasy VII lives up to that expectation, but it isn't necessarily the best Final Fantasy game around. For my money, that honor would go to Final Fantasy VI (also known as Final Fantasy III for the Super Nintendo). What FF6 has over FF7 is that you genuinely care for the characters. After conquering FF6, I was somewhat sad that the journey was over. I couldn't say the same for FF7. While the story was a bit confusing at times, it still gets the player involved. I think one reason why I prefer the old final fantasies to the new ones is that the old ones seem to cover a medieval time period. It lives up to the Fantasy title name. In FF7, we are introduced to guns and swear words. I'm no prude, but it just didn't feel like a fantasy anymore. Perhaps sci-fi is more appropriate, but `Final Sci-Fi' doesn't have as nice of a ring to it.

However, you do have to give Square some props for the groundbreaking effort they put into this game. The movies are quite impressive considering the limitations of 32-bit graphics. For the most part, I enjoyed the 3-D layout of this game, but some scenes were unnecessary and sometimes confusing because of this layout.

So overall, this is still a solid RPG and a fine member of the Final Fantasy line.

One heck of a video game.

Author: Beaumont-4 from Hamilton, Ontario
18 December 1999

This is the best video game I've ever played. In my opinion, plots suck, but this was different. The plot was so complex, as well as the score, characters, etc. Cloud's development from a bitter mercenary to a caring individual who is willing to fight Sephiroth just astounded me.

The only thing I hate about it was that it took me over a year to win, with the Gameshark and the hintbook. Please try not to laugh.

Yipee,this is MY game!!!

Author: Jenova Synthesis from Uptop here!
2 August 1999

All right,I was waiting for the game I starred in and I finally found my game!Just two things here.I HATE BOTH TIFA AND AERITH AND WHY DID I LOSE?The game gets too sappy and mushy when it focuses on the gruesome freaks (Tifa,Aerith),but everything and everyone else seems okay,even though I lost a head.Ewwwwwwww,I'm so glad that Tifa and Aerith don't get to kiss Cloud,or else I'll puke if they ever did!

Oh,by the way I give this game three kisses and a half (because I'm in it).I would give it four if certain freaks were not in it.Oh,that reminds me,I'll be back *laughs*

The quintessential videogaming experience

Author: the_man_with_a_long_name from Gloucestershire, England
13 September 2004

This game was, for me, a revelation. It shows that a video game can combine many hours of gameplay with an intelligent and involving plot, where one man's quest of self-discovery leads him to almost destroy the world.

The gameplay is magnificent - the characters and animations all have an anime feel to them, and continued play unearths spectacular attack sequences. There is a delicate balance between adventuring, battling and dialogue, meaning that repetition is unlikely to set in. The entire game is driven by the story, a style copied by MGS and the like, which in those instances has made for quite a short lived experience. Here, though, Squaresoft have spun a yarn that spans 60 hours plus, not including the numerous secrets that wait to be unearthed, of a band of rebels and adventurers pursuing a crazed super-soldier through a world ravaged by mankind's greed. It's deep, it's involving, and at times it's emotional. The deeper you dig, the more you discover, and hidden plot twists crowd for the attention of the more persistent gamer. The CGI, although dated by modern standards, is sufficiently advanced to make for some truly thrilling cut scenes, and the dialogue, while not always perfect, is usually just right for the situation.

The music, also, is a real highlight - even after you tire of the numerous battles, as soon as the boss music kicks in you'll feel refreshed and envigorated. The eerie theme of the City of the Ancients, and the terrifying tones that accompany every encounter with Jenova will stay with you forever.

All the elements - the superb soundtrack, the deep, emotional plot, the diverse gameplay - will draw you in to what is arguably, and is for a significant number of people, the most emersive Fantasy yet, indeed the most epic fantasy tale ever told. And I do mean that. Don't be fooled by the flashy graphics of Final Fantasy X - it can't compare to the classic that introduced so many fans to the series with such force.

Author: Arsenicknife
22 August 2004

With an amazing soundtrack to match the brilliant storyline, FF7 is top of the line. It can be considered, and many times has been, the best game of all time. If you are a Non-RPG fan, take a stab at this game and you may change your mind.

You play as an Ex-Soldier of a corrupt and all-powerful company known as ShinRa. Your journey starts off as you join an anti-ShinRa Terrorist organization known as AVALANCHE. AVALANCHE is attempting to stop ShinRa from destroying the Planet, whom are using facilities known as Mako Reactors, which are extracting the Planets Mako energy (life force) directly from the ground. As the destruction of one of the Reactors, done by AVALANCHE, occurs, the real journey is only beginning.

As the game progresses, and you gain more knowledge about the Planet's condition, ShinRa, and a sudden evil that is behind it all, what unfolds is a tale of betrayal, revenge, love and most of all...power.

From the moment you leap off the train at the beginning of the game, all the way until you land the final blow on your last boss, your attention will be completely drawn to this well thought up masterpiece of a game. There isn't a moment where you will lose interest.

And with a soundtrack so mesmerising and powerful, it is as if the story is being told through the melody.

The Best Game...Ever

Author: juffie from Yorkshire England
15 July 2004

When i first got final fantasy Vll and played it i thought "oh great another crap game!" But I thought i'll give it a go and see what its like, let me tell you i wouldn't get off the playstaition!

The plot is fantastic it's very deep and as you go you lean more about the characters, by the way my favorite character is Red XIII or Red or Nanaki or whatever.(is he a wolf or a lion?)

At first when i met Aeris i hated her, she was just useless, but i have to say her death WAS quiet sad!

Overall Fantastic game, its actually the only Final Fantasy game i have played i'm sure the others are good too.

Quite possibly the greatest game ever made.

Author: Knight_Halcyon (TadamG1222@aol.com) from U.S.A.
5 May 2004

Sheer brillance. A beautiful work in the art of gaming. From the moment the game begins you are drawn into the world of FFVII, and some people (like myself) can't get out!

People who comment that a game is bad because of graphics, need to seriously reconsider why they even play them. This games cinema scenes are acceptable even by todays standards, and although the characters are "Blocks", one must keep in mind that this was 1997, and this was one of the first Play Station One games released. They aren't really all that "bad".

Lets examine the plot, SPOILERS AHEAD

The game begins with your character,(Cloud Strife)a mercenary, being hired by a rebel group known as AVALANCHE. Even though AVALANCHE and their leader Barret Wallace are out to save the Planet, Cloud just wants his money. From this simple beginning sparks an adventure to (What else, this is Final Fantasy) save the Planet. Along the way you meet Tifa one of Cloud's childhood friends, Aerith a beautiful flower girl from the slums, Red XIII a prisoner of the evil Shinra, Yuffie a teenage ninja, Cait Sith an "interesting" fortune teller, Vincent a terrible victim of Shinra, and Cid a cocky high flying pilot.

As you progress on the game our antagonist Sephiroth, seems to be searching for a "promised land", and you've got to stop him. The interactions between your characters, and the way different characters react to situations the team is put in, adds a surprising amount of depth.

The plot is fed to you little by little, just enough so that you want more, the first time I played it was for 8 1/2 hours straight, I had to know what happened!

The beauty of this game is that, after one time through or even four you still haven't seen every possible reaction, or learned every bit of history behind the characters.

THIS IS AN AWESOME GAME! EVERYONE SHOULD PLAY IT!

End of story.