IMDb > Don't Look Under the Bed (1999) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Don't Look Under the Bed

Don't Look Under the Bed (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Excellent Movie, good for a laugh and prescription eyecandy!

Author: Rica (screaminfairy@swirve.com) from Newark, New Jersey
25 March 2002

Eric 'Ty' Hodges II did a wonderful job portraying the part of an imaginary friend. His character Larry Houdini is a bundle of creativity that has you wanting to believe, once again, in childhood dreams. The eyecandy is worth it too. Eric Hodges is an extremely attractive young man whose career is going places. The movie in itself is fantastic. Its a little bit of Little Monsters tied with Halloween Town. It is a good movie to watch whenever you're down.

How a quite silly plot can be enjoyable.

Author: Chris Hewitt (thepianomaniac@gmail.com) from Brentwood, California
28 December 2002

This movie is not especially and intelligent movie with complex situations and in-depth background of the characters. It is more of a movie that deals with family situations and the doings of a teen-age girl. The plot of the story is actually quite silly, being about a boogie man, but there is a few parts in this movie that are all of funny and interesting. The only thing I find very awkward is how Erin Chambers looks to be the high schooler that she is supposed to play, but is really over 6 years older. She was twenty years old when she played the part of "Frances". So that just goes to show how weird Hollywood does things.

I think my favorite character in this would have to be Larry. The "Imaginary friend". He acts so unhuman like sometimes which is perfect for this type of kids show. This can be happily viewed by adults, but it would be much more enjoyed by even a child as young as four. The sets that they used in the movie must have taken them a long time to build at how elaborate they were. So since it was a sort of childish movie with not a lot of in depth proportion to it, I give it an 8.5 out of 10. But it was a pretty good film.

I Think it Was Great!

Author: Juma ***********
26 October 2004

I'm young, and I might not know anything but that movie was excellent. I suppose you'd have to have a huge imagination to like it, in which I do. It was a great movie to me, especially when I was feeling blue. I also like to watch it with my baby sister during the month of Halloween. She smiles every time Larry does something outrageous, so it makes me smile. I really don't know why some people didn't like it. Even my aunt likes it and she's over teen years, my mom even likes it and she's in her thirties. My sister is only a couple of months so she doesn't understand much, but that is one thing she does understand..... :) Happy Halloween Everyone :).....

Childhood Memories

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
21 September 2015

Erin Chambers and Ty Hodges star in this Disney feature film where young teen Chambers is haunted from her past by a childhood memory. Hodges is the boogeyman come to life.

According to Boogey legend an imaginary childhood friend should not be discarded so easily lest they become the feared boogeyman. So it was with Chambers's brother who lost his faith in the existence of imaginary friends during a serious illness. Now the friend has come to life and trying to reverse the curse.

Watching the film put me in mind of my niece when she was small. The elder of two sisters she had imaginary playmates, but she grew out of them after a fashion. Her younger sister never took up that particular fantasy though.

Chambers is way too old for the part she sure didn't look a convincing 14. That's the way it is, always casting people too old for teens in Hollywood. Still in her case she couldn't convince me she was a juvenile try as she may.

Don't Look Under The Bed is a charming fantasy which would have worked better with a real teen lead.

Amazing.

Author: rubyNrain1700 from United States
18 October 2007

This is the BEST Disney channel movie you will ever see. In fact, this is the only Disney channel movie you should watch. Screw High School Musical. This movie has fantastic graphics, acting, it is just wonderful. Seriously, Disney channel should air this every Friday or Saturday night, because it is just an amazing movie. If you are ever lucky enough to catch this movie on t.v. don NOT just flip past it and go to something you think is better because there is a 94 percent chance it isn't. This movie is the PERFECT Halloween film. It has ever vital ingredient to entertain you for more than the hour and a half it is. Anyway, watch Don't Look Under the Bed, C'est super!

I really miss this.

Author: julcltr (julcltr@telus.net) from Canada
20 March 2009

I remember watching this on TV when my family and I were on vacation on thanksgiving weekend 2 years ago. There wasn't anything else on (since it was about nine o'clock in the evening from where I was), so we flipped to this. I seriously thought that it would be something like that stupid rip-off "Minutemen", but I was completely wrong. It was actually good for a change. Erin Chambers did an amazing job as Frances, and so did Ty Hodges as Larry. Whenever he did something really outrageous I couldn't stop laughing (well, the puns got a little old throughout the movie). But the thing that really caught my eye was how well the Boogeyman's part was written. But I'm not going to spoil everything. Just go see it. You'll love it.

Twizard Rating: 84

Author: goolizap from United States
2 November 2015

I've detailed in previous posts my feelings about the current state of children's television. And while the Disney Channel is the main culprit, I do long for 1999 again when Disney Channel Original Movies (DCOMs) were at their peak. Sure, they were cheesy and full of head-scratching character decisions, but we loved them anyway because the protagonists were just like us.

Don't Look Under the Bed follows Frances (Erin Chambers), a teenage girl living in a small town where, one day, strange things start happening. Dogs are on the roof, the high school's pool is filled with gelatin, and the letter "B" is spray painted all over town. Everyone is convinced that it's Frances who's pulling these pranks, but she befriends Larry Houdini (Ty Hodges)--an imaginary person who only she can see--who informs her that the Boogeyman is framing her. So she tries to figure out why he seems to have a bone to pick with her.

The film is full of twists and has some fun scenes that actually hold up fairly well considering the age of the movie and the target demographic.

Not that it's not without a little schmaltz, but believe it or not, compared to its counterparts, Don't Look Under the Bed isn't terribly cloying at all--possibly due to the fact that it's directed by Kenneth Johnson--the creator of The Bionic Woman and The Incredible Hulk TV series. Whatever the reason, if you saw this movie as a child, chances are it stuck with you.

It's Disney Channel's only PG-rated DCOM--and for a good reason. The scenes with the Boogeyman are seriously creepy. They still haunt me to this day. However, they never make the film lose its youthful essence. Rather, it may be more appealing since it fails to insult its young audience. There's a good enough balance between the macabre and the jovial to maintain its fun nature.

The issues it deals with may not be the deepest, but it's no Dude, Where's My Car either. The themes include deep-rooted denial and growing up too fast. It gets its point across without feeling overly preachy. And even older audiences will find the intrinsic emotions relatable and may cause them to conjure up fond memories of their own childhood--much in a Toy Story type of way.

In the last 15 minutes, the characters venture into Boogeyland, which is a real highlight to this movie. The world that the filmmakers create is so spooky and detailed that we feel like we're there too. We wait throughout the whole story to find out where the Boogeyman goes when he's not creating chaos, and the answer definitely lives up to our expectations.

The film's biggest pitfall is its lead actress. She's alright when she's just conversing with other characters, but as soon as she shows any kind of grand emotion, her conviction is nowhere to be found.

But the plot holes are scarce and mostly towards the beginning, so we grant it forgiveness during its final act--which may the single greatest ending to any DCOM. In Don't Look Under the Bed the characters have a lot to lose, and while so many others of its kind take the easy way out, this one really works for it.

Twizard Rating: 84

An above average Disney Channel Original Movie

Author: MovieLord23 from San Antonio
24 October 2015

Don't Look Under the Bed is generally regarded as one of the scariest films in the catalog of Disney Channel Original Movies and they are right to an extent. The film does go beyond the cutesy formula the channel is so used to and delivers a devilishly fun time that tackles some mature themes as well.

Good: The movie feels like a stew of creativity. From the story to the design of the world, everything feels off kilter and wacky. It boasts an unconventional look while still retaining that familiar Disney Channel feel that makes it immediately watchable. There is a creative flair occurring and it shows. The story regarding the Boogey Man is clever and shows a good amount of world building. I know this is a lot for a TV movie, but the director and crew showed that they wanted this movie to become more than what we usually see. Erin Chambers delivers a solid performance as Francis making for a likable heroine and Ty Hodges is fun as the imaginary friend Larry Houdini as he doesn't overstay his welcome. There are good makeup effects on display. The movie also tries to tackle some rather mature themes such as dealing with growing up, the fear of growing up, and the fear of showing support during a loved one's time of need.

Bad: The movie does show its age with some dated CG effects. The humor can be hit or miss with most of it relying on Hodges' slapstick which can border on annoying at times.

Overall, this is a nostalgic favorite of mine and it still holds up as a good slice of family entertainment that goes for a higher goal than most.

Great for all ages!

Author: gasmaskproductionsbooks from Canada
4 July 2014

I despise Disney stuff. I think it is way too happy and commercialized. But this movie was an exception.

Francis is a high school girl whose little brother Darwin has just recovered from leukemia, which has left the whole family in fear, wondering if he'll be alright of if he'll ever get sick again. When bizarre things begin to happen at the high school and then all over town like gelatin being dumped in the school swimming pool and a teacher's car being egged, no one knows what to think. Soon the suspicion is aimed towards Francis and she blames a strange boy, Larry, who tells her he is an imaginary friend. Trying to prove he exists, she only makes a fool of herself in front of her peers and blames him for the strange events in town. He tells her it's not him, but the bogeyman, and she just remains skeptical. It isn't long before, as in most cases with imaginary friends, her parents decide she needs professional help, but she has more on her mind to worry about. As it turns out, Larry is Darwin's imaginary friend, and Francis convinced Darwin to stop believing in him, and any imaginary friend with a creator who drives them away becomes a bogeyman. Also, Francis drove away her own imaginary friend, Zoe, who is a British girl with blonde hair and a pink dress, now the bogeyman responsible for attacking the town as revenge against Francis for abandoning her.

This movie proves that you are never too old to have imaginary friends, and that to be smart and logical you don't have to stop being creative. It was sort of a combination of Drop Dead Fred and the Secret World of Alex Mack, and it was comedic without being crude or vulgar. My only issue with it is the common stereotype that if you aren't a little kid but still have an imaginary friend, you could be crazy. That is an outdated and unfair assumption to make, whether its a movie or not. Also the "fighting the bogeyman" scene towards the end stretched out a bit too long, it became annoying. In the end Francis learns that nothing, no one, has the right to take away your imaginary friend, and that her brother's cancer and school didn't have to stop her from being imaginative, and you can still be grown-up and have pretend friends. There are very sad and memorable parts, in the end Francis even has a romantic interest in Larry and when she reunites with Zoe it is an amazing scene. The acting was pretty good, especially the role of Larry. Definitely worth watching.

Nice

Author: SanteeFats from United States
7 October 2013

I like this movie because it is simple, funny, and cute. The kids act very well, the script is well written, the special effects are good. Steve Valentine plays the boogeyman and does a good job. He gets a lot of supporting roles in quite a few movies and shows. I like him and would like to see him in a lead role at some time in the future. He is actually a fairly good magician. The pranks are pretty sophomoric but funny. Erin Chambers plays the lead, a sister framed for pranks that Valentine actually committed. She gets her brother to call up his not so imaginary friend to help her clear her of the charges. After some funny little scenes this gets done. All in all a nice movie with some good scenes.